D23 Expo 2019 (First page with major info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting this, Ryan. I bookmarked it so I can keep up with updates.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned, (I could have easily missed it), is this service going to be commercial-free at that price or is it going to be like Hulu where you pay a higher price for no ads? Will the movies be unedited?
I believe it will be commercial free. I am not sure about all movies but some will definitely be edited. I know there was a lot of controversy on Dumbo because they are editing out the crow scene for Disney+ reportedly.

Sorry I didn't get around to updates during the day. The movies panel was pretty much what everyone saw. I was a little surprised to see Lucasfilm and Marvel go first. Very short, didn't even give the whole cast a chance to talk. No new trailer, a poster (which they gave us) and a sizzle reel which showed the previous movies and then some very brief new shots from the new movie. Kyle and Rey battling on a chunk of metal in the ocean (death star?). Then shot of what may have been Rey in a cloak with what first appears as two red lightsaber, but flips one over and it's a double blade like Maul.

Marvel is brief too. Highlight is maybe the externals cast, but they say nothing. Only new announcement is the Black panther 2 date and they joke about all the things they can't tell us. The Black Widow stuff I think is the same stuff from comic con.

Next up was Disney live action, and they start with Jungle Cruise and they are selling the hell out of this. The Rock comes out on a JC boat, and they show a very Rock centric trailer. Rock talks about how macho everyone wants it to be, then Emily Blunt comes out in an old timely car, and shows another trailer, with many of the same scenes from her point of view. Particularly the first trailer Rock is a river tour guide with a lot of fake effects like hippos and snakes, and even does a "backside of water " joke in the trailer pandering to the crowd. They talk quite a bit but reference Indiana Jones, Romancing the Stone and African Queen a couple times. I have to say, they make it look entertaining, but it felt more PotC than any of these movies.

Next was Maleficent and they showed a long clip from the movie and brought Jolie and Fanning and Pfieffer out and talked a bit, and showed a long clip. Got a short blurb for cruella, and then a couple scenes from Mulan.

Move on to Pixar, touted two ORIGINAL movies. Started with Soul and got a maybe two minute clip. Quite a bit of info and the cast came out.

Then Onward and we got 2 long scenes from the movie and also Tom Holland, Chris Pratt and Julie Louis Dreyfuss.

Finally Raga and the Last Dragon and we got a maybe 4 minute clip which looked really cool. This one has me excited. Frozen 2 not so much, but the scenes they showed were actually really good. The one thing I noticed is that Elsa is hearing this Siren song. If you watch the more recent trailer where Elsa is at the ocean and goes underwater, you actually hear that same siren song, you just didn't know it.

Anyways, we also saw the Immersive worlds panel with Joe Rhode, Scott Trowbridge, and I can't remember the other two but was in charge of Aulani and the other Shanghai Disney Pirate Cove. They talked a lot about the design process and it was pretty interesting.

The third panel we saw was the Aladdin music panel and that was a lot of fun, with many versions of Aladdin represented. It ran close to 90 minutes, and by the end the expo was over for the day. Those three panels ended up taking 90% of our day, so until tomorrow. Parks and Resorts bright and early.

Anytime anyone says, Epcot is not supposed to have Disney characters, they clearly weren't visiting when space themed Mickey, etc. were happening back when it opened.

Technically the park was designed to not have the classic characters - but at least partly because they were fearful that if you could see EPCOT Center AND meet Mickey there, you would have no reason to go to Magic Kingdom and attendance would drop there

I think like any thing in any of the parks, you can do it well with or without IP and you can do it poorly with or without IP. So forcing IP where it hinders is not good but something isn't inherantly bad because it has IP

Please don’t make me start my day any earlier here in the Pacific time zone! It’s barely light out!

I know, I'm just teasing. I've lived in Pacific and in Mountain times (I really disliked Mountain time for television schedules bcs everything came on much earlier than I was used to). :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter