D23 EXPO THREAD - See you in 2019!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no interest in the Disney store, so I'll get one for MOG if I can get a store pass. Dream Store usually has a relatively short line so I'll just wait for that one.

Oh right! I forgot, Christian Milan mentioned the efficiency of the Dream Store in one of his videos. I might get one for the Disney store after all!:thumbsup2

Thanks, so much @Zooey and @HydroGuy for the advice! Sounds like being there early is the way to go. I went ahead and added an extra night at the hotel. I figure I'll do an early start on Friday so I can get into the panels I want (Princess panel! I've wanted to be a voice actor my entire life, and I'm so stoked to hear from so many talented actors!) and try and snag a shopping pass, and then maybe take it chill Saturday and Sunday.

I'm so excited! And also freaking out that I still haven't received my tickets yet! O_O

Now I'm a little concerned. I only got a 5 digit (numbers and letters) confirmation number when I called GCH directly to confirm my reservation. Should I be calling someone else to confirm?

We got ours from D23 housing because the Disney system was down. Will call Disney closer to in order to reconfirm.

Thanks, so much @Zooey and @HydroGuy for the advice! Sounds like being there early is the way to go. I went ahead and added an extra night at the hotel. I figure I'll do an early start on Friday so I can get into the panels I want (Princess panel! I've wanted to be a voice actor my entire life, and I'm so stoked to hear from so many talented actors!) and try and snag a shopping pass, and then maybe take it chill Saturday and Sunday.

I'm so excited! And also freaking out that I still haven't received my tickets yet! O_O
If you're into voice actors, they haven't even announced the animation booth signings! They're awesome. I met the actor who voiced Hiro in Big Hero 6 there.
So you'll definitely want to keep an eye out for that. It happens at the animation booth all day everyday with scheduled signings.

If you're into voice actors, they haven't even announced the animation booth signings! They're awesome. I met the actor who voiced Hiro in Big Hero 6 there.
So you'll definitely want to keep an eye out for that. It happens at the animation booth all day everyday with scheduled signings.

Do you know how long the waits are for that?

Do you know how long the waits are for that?
They hand out tickets for each artist to people who are waiting so you now if you will get to meet and greet based on that. I'd say you have to wait between 15-45 mins for any one signing. It's quite easy and not nearly as intense as lines for other things. If you're ready and waiting for the next signing line to start right at the get go you'll get it

Couple of questions for you D23 Expo veterans:

1. Does the afternoon HALL D23 presentation use the same line as the morning HALL D23 presentation? To clarify, the afternoon presentation queue line does not begin to line up overnight does it? You would simply wait until the morning HALL D23 queue line starts to enter that presentation and then the afternoon line begins to form?
2. What time would you suggest to arrive if for day 1 the plan was to just hit the show floor at 9:00 am?

Thanks

1. Does the afternoon HALL D23 presentation use the same line as the morning HALL D23 presentation? To clarify, the afternoon presentation queue line does not begin to line up overnight does it? You would simply wait until the morning HALL D23 queue line starts to enter that presentation and then the afternoon line begins to form?
2. What time would you suggest to arrive if for day 1 the plan was to just hit the show floor at 9:00 am?

Thanks
I think the line for animation starts once Legends lets in, clearing the area. So, probably around 9:30 or so. If you're hitting the show floor you can go for a stage pass or a store pass or whatever else for that first hour. If animation IS lining up earlier you can ask some folks but I don't think they allow an official line before that. That's when you have to ask around and talk to people for where the unofficial line is because there is almost always an unofficial line before the official one

Thanks

I think the line for animation starts once Legends lets in, clearing the area. So, probably around 9:30 or so. If you're hitting the show floor you can go for a stage pass or a store pass or whatever else for that first hour. If animation IS lining up earlier you can ask some folks but I don't think they allow an official line before that. That's when you have to ask around and talk to people for where the unofficial line is because there is almost always an unofficial line before the official one
Q1: If things work like 2015 with regard to Hall D23, and so far from all appearances it appears they will, then yes, the morning and afternoon Hall D23 lines will be in the same place. Hall E downstairs.

I cannot remember from 2015 how afternoon queues worked. In 2011 and 2013 they would start another line for such things if the previous queue and not cleared yet. So a queue waiting to go into a queue.

Q2: In 2011 ands 2013, I arrived early each morning. I cannot remember specifically but generally by 6AM plus or minus 30 minutes. In 2015 on Day 1 I made a huge mistake and arrived about 9AM because the thing of primary interest was the afternoon Hall D23 Animated Films session. We waited outside in direct sunlight for 2 and a half hours. There were a whole bunch of queues outside at that time and we were sent to this queue which was to follow I believe three other queues which were before us. Once queues 1-3 were in and our queue started to move, the movement of our queue to the Expo entrance by the Expo organizers was handled improperly and the people at the end of the queue who had just arrived were allowed to rush forward in front of folks like us who had waited in the hot sun. I was ready to burst with anger. Not a good way to start a Disney Expo!

We easily got in line for the afternoon Hall D23 and actually got very good seats - we were far forward in the queue - maybe #1000 out of 7000.

Bottom line for me is I will only go to the Expo at 6AM or 11AM in the future. If 11AM, I will know I will be behind many thousands of folks. But in general I am planning 6AM for all 3 days this year.

:wizard:

Q1: If things work like 2015 with regard to Hall D23, and so far from all appearances it appears they will, then yes, the morning and afternoon Hall D23 lines will be in the same place. Hall E downstairs.

I cannot remember from 2015 how afternoon queues worked. In 2011 and 2013 they would start another line for such things if the previous queue and not cleared yet. So a queue waiting to go into a queue.

Q2: In 2011 ands 2013, I arrived early each morning. I cannot remember specifically but generally by 6AM plus or minus 30 minutes. In 2015 on Day 1 I made a huge mistake and arrived about 9AM because the thing of primary interest was the afternoon Hall D23 Animated Films session. We waited outside in direct sunlight for 2 and a half hours. There were a whole bunch of queues outside at that time and we were sent to this queue which was to follow I believe three other queues which were before us. Once queues 1-3 were in and our queue started to move, the movement of our queue to the Expo entrance by the Expo organizers was handled improperly and the people at the end of the queue who had just arrived were allowed to rush forward in front of folks like us who had waited in the hot sun. I was ready to burst with anger. Not a good way to start a Disney Expo!

We easily got in line for the afternoon Hall D23 and actually got very good seats - we were far forward in the queue - maybe #1000 out of 7000.

Bottom line for me is I will only go to the Expo at 6AM or 11AM in the future. If 11AM, I will know I will be behind many thousands of folks. But in general I am planning 6AM for all 3 days this year.

Totally agree on all accounts! We didn't know what to do the first day last time so we went to the store line and realized we would still be in at least a two hour line before getting in even after arriving by 5am. We then bailed that line and ran out to the show floor totally lost and dazed and nervous.
We ran into the Avatar model tent, quite possibly because that was the first thing we saw. We walked in and Joe Rohde was just standing there alone, so I shook his hand and he ran behind a curtain. It was a weird way to start the expo. I think we got in line for animation like an hour after that.

Question for those staying at the Disney hotels. How are you getting to the Expo? Driving yourself, Uber/Lyft, taxi, walking or something else?

Question for those staying at the Disney hotels. How are you getting to the Expo? Driving yourself, Uber/Lyft, taxi, walking or something else?

Depends on weather. If nice will walk if too hot may look at ART bus but most likely taxi.

... Once queues 1-3 were in and our queue started to move, the movement of our queue to the Expo entrance by the Expo organizers was handled improperly and the people at the end of the queue who had just arrived were allowed to rush forward in front of folks like us who had waited in the hot sun. I was ready to burst with anger. Not a good way to start a Disney Expo!..

This just seems to be the theme at every Expo. Sigh... Handling the lines well just isn't something they've learned to do over the years. I remember 2011 when the D23 people came out after we'd been waiting forever to get in "early" (Ha!). The lines weren't moving and the general public was getting in before the gold members. D23 folks started yelling at us to RUN (all of us? really??), but forgot to tell us where to go. So people were running every which way trying to get to the front doors. I was afraid of getting trampled. Thankfully, that scenario never happened again. (Hope whoever started that idea got fired.) Like you said, the best thing to do is to arrive early and do the best you can.

This just seems to be the theme at every Expo. Sigh... Handling the lines well just isn't something they've learned to do over the years. I remember 2011 when the D23 people came out after we'd been waiting forever to get in "early" (Ha!). The lines weren't moving and the general public was getting in before the gold members. D23 folks started yelling at us to RUN (all of us? really??), but forgot to tell us where to go. So people were running every which way trying to get to the front doors. I was afraid of getting trampled. Thankfully, that scenario never happened again. (Hope whoever started that idea got fired.) Like you said, the best thing to do is to arrive early and do the best you can.
After three Expos for me (2011, 2013 and 2015) here is what I think about the queues:

1. The queues outside the ACC are handled by workers of the convention center. We will call them "ACC staff". They are not Disney staff. They do not have much experience on how to effectively handle or monitor queues, especially when there are literally tens of thousands of people. As a result, things do not get handled well in some cases.

2. The queues inside the ACC are handled by Disney staff. Disney understands better how to handle large groups of people and that it is important to be clear and fair. They also understand guest service and being friendly and respectful with guests. In my experience these queues have always worked perfectly.

After three Expos for me (2011, 2013 and 2015) here is what I think about the queues:

1. The queues outside the ACC are handled by workers of the convention center. We will call them "ACC staff". They are not Disney staff. They do not have much experience on how to effectively handle or monitor queues, especially when there are literally tens of thousands of people. As a result, things do not get handled well in some cases.

2. The queues inside the ACC are handled by Disney staff. Disney understands better how to handle large groups of people and that it is important to be clear and fair. They also understand guest service and being friendly and respectful with guests. In my experience these queues have always worked perfectly.

Yep. I never waited in any outside queues last year, and had all great line experiences except one (when they vastly underestimated the number of people who would be waiting for a stage pass for Once Upon a Time ahead of time).

As I've said before, part of the line confusion is the ACC staff versus Disney staff experience as well as transitioning of D23 staff. Lessons are learned, improvements made (even as quickly from Friday to Saturday)...but people leave and take some of their knowledge with them. Patience and low expectations always help. I'm dreading the new security wrinkle.

After the Harveys Lilo & Stitch release this weekend, I feel like I'm in D23 Expo mode...there was lining up, there was waiting, there was the urgency of shopping for limited items. Bring on the Expo. :thumbsup2

Re: D23 Expo Housing - we were charged for the one nights deposit, so I'm even more confident now that the actual reservation exists. :rotfl:

Thanks for the comments everyone. Ok so let me run another by you.

If you guys in the past wanted to go to the Show floor at opening, how early did you arrive? I know HALL E will start lineups at 10:00 pm the night before, but did you guys do that? Also, could you arrive anytime between 10:00 pm and say, 4:00 am and they would still let you inside for the queue line if space, or did they stop letting people in at say midnight?

Thanks!!

@HWKI2 I know in 2015 the cut-off for going to Hall E was 7am, I'm not sure if that has been communicated yet for 2017...I'll have to check the letter that came with the credentials. The Things to Know section is lacking that specific detail on the website. I still have the 2015 app on my phone and I can still read the sections from 2015.

We arrived around 4:30am/4:45am on Friday and Saturday, but were not trying to get into the Legends on Friday. We didn't think we had a chance for the Live Action on Saturday and did manage to get seats to that.
Sunday we arrived around 5am, which was the earliest you could line up. They moved us inside fairly shortly after that.
But all of this is anecdotal and your mileage may vary.

@HWKI2 I know in 2015 the cut-off for going to Hall E was 7am, I'm not sure if that has been communicated yet for 2017...I'll have to check the letter that came with the credentials. The Things to Know section is lacking that specific detail on the website. I still have the 2015 app on my phone and I can still read the sections from 2015.

We arrived around 4:30am/4:45am on Friday and Saturday, but were not trying to get into the Legends on Friday. We didn't think we had a chance for the Live Action on Saturday and did manage to get seats to that.
Sunday we arrived around 5am, which was the earliest you could line up. They moved us inside fairly shortly after that.
But all of this is anecdotal and your mileage may vary.
Others correct me if I am wrong, but I believe what happened in 2015 is that if you were there early (before 7AM?) you could get in a special line that went directly to Hall E (the queue for the Hall D23 event) and bypassed anything else regarding the Expo. After a certain point they cut that line off, but it does not mean you cannot go to Hall E. It means you have to enter the main entrance of the Expo (which opens at 8AM I believe) but since there are tens of thousands of people in line it takes a while to get into the Expo. It depends on where you are in line. Once into the Expo, you can turn left and go to Hall E and continue the queueing process for Hall D23. That will keep Hall E open until they have a full amount of people to go into Hall D23. Somehow they keep count, and they have a standby line in case there are still open seats.

If you arrived early and got into the special Hall E queue, you were not allowed to use that to jump past people into the main Expo floor. However, at some point, they did let people leave Hall E and return. I know that as my kids went off to look at the Star Wars video games in the main Expo area and then they came back to join us in Hall E.

From what I am reading it sounds like they may not allow this in 2017. There were some words to the effect that you cannot re-enter Hall E. And that they have food there and you have to stay. I know there are restrooms in the back so with food and restrooms it is at least reasonable they require you to stay in Hall E without leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter