Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

We're on the July 26th cruise starting in Budapest. We're a family of 5 - 2 adults and 3 kids ages 12-18. I'm getting very excited and hope there are enough people booked for it to happen!

I spoke to two different vacationistas and they both told me that airport transfers are only included if I book the official ABD pre-cruise hotel. The rate is $729 through ABD. I can get it for about $415 on my own. So I think that even with paying for a transfer to the hotel I am going to come out way ahead. Apparently, even if I were to fly in the day of the cruise I would need to get to the hotel in order to take the transfer to the ship. So I am planning on flying in the day before to give myself a little buffer. I am very open to any suggestions or tips people may have about Munich! Thanks! :)

I spoke to two different vacationistas and they both told me that airport transfers are only included if I book the official ABD pre-cruise hotel. The rate is $729 through ABD. I can get it for about $415 on my own. So I think that even with paying for a transfer to the hotel I am going to come out way ahead. Apparently, even if I were to fly in the day of the cruise I would need to get to the hotel in order to take the transfer to the ship. So I am planning on flying in the day before to give myself a little buffer. I am very open to any suggestions or tips people may have about Munich! Thanks! :)
I guess they've changed the policy *yet again*. Sigh...

Sayhello

We went to Munich 3 summers ago and spent 3 days. Depending on how much time you have and the weather, lots of things to do. In/around Munich, we did the following:
1.) Spent a day touring the BMW museum; Allianz stadium where FC Bayern plays (if you have any soccer fans); and touring the Olympic Park
2.) Spent half a day at the Dachau concentration camp memorial site. This is a pretty solemn and moving experience. There are some graphic parts. Our son was 12 at the time and had an appreciation of the experience as I've had 6 uncles that served in the war (one being a POW) and he has heard all the stories from his grandfather.
3.) Spent half a day doing a bike tour with Mike's Bike. This was a city tour.
4.) Spent a day going out to Neuschwanstein castle on our own.
5.) Also spent time just walking around Marienplatz and went to lunch at the Beer House (Hofbrauhaus).

We would have liked to have done some of the other historical tours, but ran out of time.

Have fun.

I'm rich!

Ezq6eiJ.png

We're on the July 26th cruise starting in Budapest. We're a family of 5 - 2 adults and 3 kids ages 12-18. I'm getting very excited and hope there are enough people booked for it to happen!
We are on the July 26 cruise as well. We are a family of 4 from Vancouver, Canada. DD is 17 and DS is 9. We look forward to meeting you.

We are on the July 26 cruise as well. We are a family of 4 from Vancouver, Canada. DD is 17 and DS is 9. We look forward to meeting you.

We look forward to meeting you too! DD is 18 and DS's are 12 and 14 and we're from Texas!

We look forward to meeting you too! DD is 18 and DS's are 12 and 14 and we're from Texas!
My DD is thrilled that there will be at least one other teenage girl. If you are happy to connect them up before we sail, you can send me a PM and I will give you her contact info.

Currently at the airport waiting for our flt to Budapest!!! Anyone else on the 7/12 Danube?

MJ
Safe travels!!! And ENJOY!! It's a wonderful itinerary, and a beautiful ship!! And I *LOVED* Budapest! Be sure & check it out!

Sayhello

I haven't found anyone else on the July 19 cruise but I thought I might post some of my questions anyway?! Hoping some other Danube cruisers will have some thoughts!!
1. Wondering if anyone has done the Wine House visit in Vienna instead of the concert. BOTH options look really amazing to me but it seems like almost everyone chooses the concert. I would love to hear more about the wine house or even feedback on the concert and if you are glad you chose it??
2. Also wondering about Passau. I think I would prefer to do the time on my own vs the tree top adventure. I'm not a huge fan of heights! Plus I think I would prefer to see the city versus the sights (although I am sure they are lovely!). Again, I would love to hear about experiences in Passau and any thoughts you may have about the options!

Any other thoughts or recommendations on how to make the most of this cruise?! I would love to hear them! TIA! :)

I haven't found anyone else on the July 19 cruise but I thought I might post some of my questions anyway?! Hoping some other Danube cruisers will have some thoughts!!
1. Wondering if anyone has done the Wine House visit in Vienna instead of the concert. BOTH options look really amazing to me but it seems like almost everyone chooses the concert. I would love to hear more about the wine house or even feedback on the concert and if you are glad you chose it??
2. Also wondering about Passau. I think I would prefer to do the time on my own vs the tree top adventure. I'm not a huge fan of heights! Plus I think I would prefer to see the city versus the sights (although I am sure they are lovely!). Again, I would love to hear about experiences in Passau and any thoughts you may have about the options!

Any other thoughts or recommendations on how to make the most of this cruise?! I would love to hear them! TIA! :)
I did the concert, and it was quite nice (although *hot*!) It was just so cool to think that you were listening to a Mozart concert in Vienna...

I loved the treetop adventure! Honestly, the best part about it was just being out in nature after an entire week of cities. I *loved* the cities we visited, but one afternoon of nature was really nice and refreshing.

Sayhello

We did the trip last July. We went on the winery tour in the evening. The bus ride there is also very picturesque. The vineyards were beautiful and we enjoyed our time there. My daughter (age 11) and I went for the evening.
They have juice for the kids to drink in glasses, and cheese spreads with bread. We actually played a game of Apples to Apples at our table. I think the guides brought it.
We also just shopped in Passau for the afternoon. We enjoyed the time wandering the streets and shopping.
Enjoy your trip!

I did the concert, and it was quite nice (although *hot*!) It was just so cool to think that you were listening to a Mozart concert in Vienna...

I loved the treetop adventure! Honestly, the best part about it was just being out in nature after an entire week of cities. I *loved* the cities we visited, but one afternoon of nature was really nice and refreshing.

Sayhello

I agree 100% with this. The concert venue was fine but was teetering just on the edge of being uncomfortable temperature wise. People bolted for the outside doors during the intermission.

I have zero regrets about picking the treetops. Such great views and an activity I never would have found on my own if I was visiting Passau.

Hi!! Just got back from the Danube River Cruise (I know you are onboard now and going the other way) but I did not do the Treetops tour or the Brewery. We opted to stay onboard and enjoy some downtime on the ship. The guided tour of Passau was nice, we had a costumed local guide who was very informative. We had some on our own time after the tour. Not sure what time they give you in Passau on your trip since it goes the other way but the ship left Passau at 1:00 pm an sailed to Vilshofen. Anyone on the treetops tour or the Brewery tour met the ship in Vilshofen. We really enjoyed our afternoon onboard. Going through the locks was very interesting. There were 91 guests on the cruise (we were told). Out of those about 12 of us stayed onboard the last day and I know there were only 4 people plus the guide on the Brewery tour....so everyone else did the Treetops. Everyone I spoke with enjoyed it very much.

I think had we had that as one of the first adventures I would have went. My friend and I were just too wiped out and wanted some leisure time. We packed up and sat on deck and relaxed. It was lovely.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

MJ

I agree 100% with this. The concert venue was fine but was teetering just on the edge of being uncomfortable temperature wise. People bolted for the outside doors during the intermission.

I have zero regrets about picking the treetops. Such great views and an activity I never would have found on my own if I was visiting Passau.
Actually, the owner of the treetops place told me that ABD were the first English-speaking visitors they'd ever had. So it's not an activity that any of us were likely to have found on our own! I don't know who found it or knew about it, but I thought that was a pretty exclusive kind of activity!

Sayhello

Hi!! Just got back from the Danube River Cruise (I know you are onboard now and going the other way) but I did not do the Treetops tour or the Brewery. We opted to stay onboard and enjoy some downtime on the ship. The guided tour of Passau was nice, we had a costumed local guide who was very informative. We had some on our own time after the tour. Not sure what time they give you in Passau on your trip since it goes the other way but the ship left Passau at 1:00 pm an sailed to Vilshofen. Anyone on the treetops tour or the Brewery tour met the ship in Vilshofen. We really enjoyed our afternoon onboard. Going through the locks was very interesting. There were 91 guests on the cruise (we were told). Out of those about 12 of us stayed onboard the last day and I know there were only 4 people plus the guide on the Brewery tour....so everyone else did the Treetops. Everyone I spoke with enjoyed it very much.

I think had we had that as one of the first adventures I would have went. My friend and I were just too wiped out and wanted some leisure time. We packed up and sat on deck and relaxed. It was lovely.

Hope you enjoy your cruise!

MJ
91 people????? Boy, this cruise really isn't selling this year! How many Guides did you have with 91 people?

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!