DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Curious to hear the experiences of other DAS users. I am a local with an AP and I go to WDW about once or twice a month. I don't feel the lightning lane lines are long at all. Cast members tend to hold the standby lines up to make sure the lightning lane keeps moving, as they should.

DAS users aren't adding to that standby line being longer because they a part of it, they waited in it and now it's their turn. The lightning lane seems pretty lightning fast to me already. Cast members can always make them even faster by further holding up the standby line (which will result in a longer return time for DAS users, thereby keeping those people away from the lightning lane).

I once again argue the only possible negative for other guests is DAS users making standby lines longer when and ONLY when they are in two standby lines at once.
I have an annual pass and I have a DAS pass as well. I go 2 or 3 times a year, but have noticed that the Lightning Lane can sometimes be very long and for my condition, and the reason I use the DAS pass, sometimes I even have to forgo that line, even within the window it gives me. I don't like to go outside the window timing as I think that is what adds to the bottleneck sometimes. If I'm given a time to be at a ride, that's my time. And that could be a whole other discussion (Guardians, I'm looking at you... your time is your time, you can't show up for your virtual queue 4 hours later).

My most recent trip was this past January, which shouldn't have been terribly busy, but the LL line at times were quite long. Heading down next month, so we will see what it is like then.

Very nervous about my upcoming DAS chat on Thursday. I have a very hard time talking about my condition and I just wish that if you have been ok'd for it before, you could just be ok'd instead of having to explain yourself each time. And now? well, the stress has just gotten much higher.

Transcript from the DAS part of the episode:

“So on several shows this year, starting with our January 1st show, we mentioned instances of what looked like questionable DAS usage in the parks, with from counting the number of people getting in lines and watching the occasional incident here or there.
And we said that we would not be surprised to see Disney make some changes to its disability access service. And then last Tuesday, Disney announced major changes to its DAS program. The changes are this.

“Disney says it's returning back to the program's original target population, which is those with developmental disabilities that prevent them from waiting in line. They're moving to a third-party verification company. We'll do live video chats with you to determine the appropriate accommodation for your need.
The interesting thing there is, Disney said that you could be able to schedule those up to 120 days in advance, which is double the 60 now, and the new program is good for 120 days, which is also double the current length. The other interesting thing is, if you show up at the parks, you will not be speaking to guest relations about that. Instead, you'll be directed to a small room, apparently near guest relations, to have that video chat with the same company.”

“So there's no getting around using that third-party company. And then kind of buried in this, Jim, did you see that Disney said that they're going to reconfigure the standby lines so that more people are able to get out and get in them? It was in the aspect, but here, let me give you the source.
So a major source of DAS use is from people who say that they have gastrointestinal issues that cause them not to be able to wait in long lines because they have to go to the bathroom too frequently to wait in that line. So Disney's addressing this by modifying the standby queues at some unspecified, but probably popular attractions to add a return to your place in line feature. They haven't exactly said how they're going to do it, but my sense is you'll be able to like, I don't know if they're going to carve up two lines into three and make one of them an exit and come back, you know, like a third lane or what, but the implementation of this is going to be interesting”

“Yeah, also Disney says that the service is now designed for a maximum group size of four friends or whatever size your immediate family is, whichever is larger and that's down from six. So we're going to restrict the number, we're going to lower the number of people who qualify, we're going to lower the maximum group size and for those who have issues that need going to the bathroom, there's another change coming for that. Okay, so the things that stay the same would be the way that you use MDE to set return times while you're in the park.
So all of that's going to stay the same. And this takes effect May 20th in Walt Disney World and June 17th in Disneyland. If you've already registered under the current process and your trip is before then, Disney says you don't have to do anything.”

“And I would expect us to hear more details around the very, very specific steps, like how's it going to work for someone with non-apparent disabilities? How's it going to work for people within wheelchairs and so on? So more of that is to come.
Help Center

But the interesting thing about this is this announcement came out, and we knew it was coming, right? We knew it was coming. The number of phone calls I got that afternoon from the 407 area code providing background on this, that I'm not saying it came from Disney, I'm saying the information would be such that Disney would never say it out loud, right?
So let me say this, right? So I know a lot of people have a legitimate need for the service, either for themselves or for their children or their parents. I'm convinced Disney knows the demographics of the groups most likely to abuse this system.”

“And if you fall in that group I just mentioned, you are not the droids that they're looking for. They know who they're targeting for this, right? Yeah, so I wouldn't worry about that.
So like, and change is hard and change is scary. I really don't think this new process is gonna be substantially different for the vast majority of people who truly qualify, right? Who fall into this category, right?
The other thing I wanna mention is Disney has thousands of cast members who are either disabled or who have family members that are disabled. And if you told me this new policy went through 25 rounds of internal review and testing before we even heard about it, I would believe that. And the end result is going to be that the people who truly need accommodation are going to wait less in line when all of this is done.”

“So that's the good thing.
No, no, I agree. I agree. The notion is Disney isn't going after your child with autism.
This is an entirely different target in mind here.
Yeah, let me just say this. And I'm not saying that this was told to me or anything. If you think that the best way to get a DAS pass is to show up at a park by yourself with no doctor's note, but a script that you printed off the internet that says, words to use to skip the lines at Disney World for free.”

“And you're reading from that paper to the person at guest relations. You might want to rethink your strategy. That's all I'm going to say on that topic.
Words to the wise, Len, you know.
Okay, I'm not saying it's happened or that Disney has 700 videos like that that it backed up, but anyway. But going over some of the background information, and some of this we knew, some of this we learned, right? Here's why Disney had to make this change.
Daz abuse has gotten out of hand. And again, Disney's not going to give actual numbers on it, but you and I can piece together some things based on what it has said in the past and what it's saying today. All right, so back in 2020, Disney was sued about ADA accommodations.”

“And it was the US. District Court in Orlando. And the court found this data that Disney presented about the old guest assistance card persuasive.
They said, approximately 3.3% of guests at Disney use a guest assistance pass. But the percentage of guests on the most popular rides who have that guest assistance card and use the FastPass line was significantly higher than 3%. So the study that they did showed 3.3% of guests were 11% of riders on Space Mountain, 13% of riders on Splash Mountain, and 30% on Toy Story Mania in one week in April.
And if you look at the overall numbers over the course of a vacation, Disney engineers said that guests with a guest assistance pass were riding Toy Story Mania. Remember when Toy Story Mania came out, it was super popular. People with guest assistant passes were riding Toy Story Mania an average of 10 times more than guests who didn't have a guest assistance card pass.”

“Okay, and here's where it gets interesting. Disney said on Tuesday that the use of the DAS system had tripled in the last five years. And the DAS system allows you to bring up to five other people on the ride, and that's a really big multiplier effect for every instance of abuse.
So multiplying the previous numbers that Disney's already said in a lawsuit, not by three, right? They said it's tripled, but let's be conservative here and say 2.5, right? That means that 8% or 9% of guests with DAS cards and their groups are taking up to 75% of the seats on popular rides.
And I will defend both of those numbers, Jim, very, very hard. Like I've got to those numbers through multiple estimates and they seem to be consistent. So 8% or 9% of the guests are 75% of the people in the Lightning Lane lines, okay?”

“And that's in line with what we collected by counting the number of people in lines. This year, right, that's, I believe those numbers, right? I don't think Disney's ever gonna say it.
I believe those numbers. And the problem with that, right, is that, again, the people who legitimately need the accommodation are waiting in line longer than they should because of abuse. And remember that because we're gonna come back to that later on.
And not for nothing to, I haven't talked to anyone internally about this. I swear, I've not talked to anybody about this. But Jim, I would bet money that they looked at the upward trend in DAS use and they looked at the June opening of Tianna's bioadventure and they were scared that pretty close to 100% of the lightning lane capacity for Tianna's would have to be allocated to DAS.”

“And that would have shut up basically everyone else in the park from using lightning. And as it was told to me repeatedly, the ADA guidelines are guidelines, not a suicide pact.
Eh.
Right? And speaking of ADA guidelines, Jim, would you like to hear some interesting hypotheticals I came up with? Without talking to a single person ever, Jim, about this.
Not talking to anyone, anyone.
Well, okay, I got it.
Completely hypothetical in my head. Are you ready?
I'm sure. Sure.”

“Okay, hypothetically, Jim, remember last year when Ticketmaster was, oh sorry, in 2022, when Ticketmaster was sued by Taylor Swift fans for not doing enough to prevent bots from buying ADA designated tickets? Hypothetically, yeah, it happened, it happened. Hypothetically, hypothetically, just spitballing here.
What if Ticketmaster went to the US Department of Justice and said, I thought we couldn't require documentation here. What are we supposed to do? And then hypothetically, because I don't know anything about anything, Jim, right?
What if the DOJ said, you know, Ticketmaster, you should totally read the section marked prevention of fraud and purchase of tickets for accessible venues on our ADA requirements website last updated February 20th, 2020. Again, this is a fever dream. I don't know that this happened, right?”

“And what if Ticketmaster went back to the DOJ and said, could we get some guidance on what you mean when you say venues may take steps to prevent the fraudulent sale and use of accessible seating? Now hypothetically, right, again, I don't know that this happened. If the DOJ came back and said something like, as long as you have substantial evidence of abuse, like something that shows that people who legitimately need accommodation are being negatively affected by this fraud, and you can show that you are doing it in a minimally intrusive way that gets the job done, you can ask more questions as long as the end result is that the aforementioned people who legitimately need accommodation are better off at the end, right?
But in my head, I say that in way more expensive lawyer speak, of course, right? Okay, so let's say that that gets resolved, right? And then hypothetically, Jim, right, if you're a theme park operator with a small army of lawyers, you might approach the DOJ and say, you know, a day in a theme park is a lot like a Taylor Swift concert. There's limited seating per day, and you wanna make sure that the special seats go to those who actually need them. Would you agree? That's how I would, just me, I would open my conversation to the DOJ with that.
That seems pretty straightforward, right? No, the DOJ would come back and say, but you have proof of this abuse, right? Right, right.
And of course, because if I'm running a theme park, I would be super prepared and I would say like, oh my God, we have spent untold staff hours counting people in line. We have population analyses that would make the Census Bureau weep with joy. We have disks full of social media posts from click chasers explaining that they said that they, what they were saying to get a free front of the line pass, but the next day, film themselves sweating in a yurt during yoga in the desert for three hours.”

“Like, is that the kind of proof that you need? Because like, this is like 75% of our line sometimes. In that case, the DOJ might say, you know what, a couple more questions could be useful here.
I'm not saying it happened. I'm just saying in my head, that's how I imagine it would go.
That's a very interesting head you got going there, Len.
I picked up so many random calls from the 407 area code this week, Jim. All right, one last thing on this. And for anyone who owns Disney stock, I was also on a call with someone going through the likely park ops and financial impacts of this change.”

“And the thought occurred to me on this call that, by the way, I knew this person existed. I had no idea this person knew I existed. But I'm on this call, and the thought occurred to me that if almost four out of five people in the Lightning Lane line for popular attractions aren't paying for it, then all the extra revenue, Jim, that Parks and Resorts has seen over the last few years has come from just one in five guests in each Lightning Lane paying for it.
And that means, Jim, if these new DAS rules can convince just one in four of those users to switch to paying for Ginny+, Disney basically doubles the money it's making from Lightning Lane.
Hadn't we heard that was at least a billion?”

“The number that no one disagrees with, let's put it this way, is 800 million. And I've talked to a bunch of people about this. If you told me a billion, I'd believe a billion, sort of like in secondary stuff or whatever.
Anyway, so when I was in this call with someone, I said, okay, you know, like the numbers indicate that people who really need DAS are being harmed by waiting in line longer, right? And these changes will fulfill the intent of the ADA guidelines. So on that alone, right, you should make the changes.”

“You should make the changes to do good. And they said, you know, yeah, that's really what we're trying to do. That is literally the intent.
And then I said, so the extra billion dollars in profit is just a byproduct you'll have to live with? And Jim, this person laughed and laughed until they, until they coughed. Honest to God, I have never heard anyone at that level of a company laugh that hard in my life.
He laughed and laughed and laughed. It was hilarious.”

“They took it in the spirit it was intended, right? I really do think this is the right move, right? But it's just...
Oh, no, no, no, totally. But let's be honest here. It is the right move, but on the same time, it's a right move that Disney has a huge financial incentive to implement.
Right. Exactly.
The payoff is huge.
Oh, by the way, I was talking to somebody else, and I was relating this story to them, and they mentioned... I don't want to know if you've heard this, that when Imagineering is coming up with their next generation of rides, part of their financial modeling is actually building in the individual lightning lane and Gini Plus revenue, which conceivably would allow them to either fund bigger projects or more projects sooner. Hypothetically, I don't really know what the number is, but if we're getting $40 million a year out of Rise of the Resistance and the ride costs $500 million to build, your timeframe for profitability is reduced.”

“Also, it reduces the risk. If you think about how Disney used to make its money back in opening rides, it was like, okay, we're going to spend $100 million building Splash Mountain. I hope to God the advertising is good enough to get people to book trips so we can make that money back.
That's an indirect way of measuring the success of an individual attraction, right?
Oh, yeah. But at the same time, to circle back to what you mentioned at the top of the segment about Daz, think about the very thing you just mentioned about, okay, we're gonna have to reconfigure the line so there is a way for people to exit from the line, get to a bathroom, and then return to the line without disrupting. And it's just sort of when you factor in what that's going to mean, that you now have to go to the pre-existing queues for at least all of the most popular attractions of the park and work this in.”

“I mean, it just sort of reminds me of what happened back in the late 1990s, early 2000s, when FastPass first came in, and every time they put in a new FastPass, it was a million dollars. In fact, it was Bruce Vaughn, the then head, or the now head of Imagineering, who was championing FastPass back in the day, who said, look, yes, it's a million dollars, but when you think about, you know, someone isn't waiting in line, which means they're in the shop. They're getting drinks.
They're eating Mickey pretzels, yeah.
Yeah, I mean, we are making that money back. Trust me, invest that money.
Yeah, 100%. And this is way easier to measure.
I agree.”

From The Jim Hill Media Podcast Network: DD Ep 475: Re-opened 1900 Park Fare serves up a superior character meal, Apr 14, 2024
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podca...-fare-serves-up-a/id452620851?i=1000652447127
This material may be protected by copyright.
I'm glad personally that Disney's third party people are #1 a medical group, not a marketing group , and #2 doing training & consultation, not registration.

Some people have taken the information about the number of Disney employees with disabilities as meaning there is a large number of Disney employees abusing DAS. The point here is that Disney has a large internal group that they can run changes/proposes by. I know they did this with the change from GAC (Guest Assistance Card) to DAS in 2013. I know they also consulted outside disability groups then.

Regarding the large numbers of people using disability cards when Toy Story Mania opened in 2008, that was when GAC was still in effect, so people with disabilities were able to enter without waiting in the regular line. Many (if I remember correctly, pretty much all) of the plaintiffs in the GAC Autism case said their child needed to repeat the same ride over and over, without pause.
The same thing happened at Radiator Springs Racers in Disneyland, where when it opened, the majority of Fastpass 'slots' were being used by guests using GAC. I can't find the article right now, but it said people observed large numbers of people using GAC go in to ride, come out and go right back in to ride, many, many times. With GAC, the guest had to show their card to a CM at the entrance. For ease of use, many people reportedly wore their card on a lanyard around their neck.
I also read lots of accounts in different places where people had posted "our holidays will be ruined without GAC" . These people were mostly California locals to Disneyland who wrote their Christmas, Easter or whatever holiday tradition was to go to the park, ride most everything they wanted and leave right after the afternoon parade. Whether disabled or pretending to be disabled, that is abuse.

Regarding the Ticketmaster ADA seat being bought by people without needs, I don't see anything that really compares it to a theme park. For example, someone who needs an accessible ride car, ASL translation or accommodations for any other disability could go any day. A concert usually has a one night possibility of going. l could not, for example, say "all the ADA seats are sold out for today. I'll just go tomorrow," because the concert won't be there tomorrow.

Random calls from a 407 are code doesn't mean they are from Disney staff.

Thank you for sharing this. A really measured podcast with useful info and without any of the hurtful intonations that have been prevalent in a lot of conversations about this. This week’s been horrible for me - have had people tell me I should be in a wheelchair (literally against my medical advice) and that I am to blame for this change - and this has been the first reassuring thing I’ve heard.

Still think Disney has publicly handled this terribly (have worked in Comms) and that more clarification should have been included from the start, but they seem to think more info will be coming and (I think) implied that there’ll be flexibility beyond developmental disorders.

The discussion from around 16:00 on documentation/further evidence is really intriguing and interested to see what this amounts to when it starts.
Things I've read have indicated DAS will only be for the specific group including Developmental Disabilities, but would include other accommodations for other groups. I read that when it was briefly posted on the WDW and DL websites. That has been poor communication and very frustrating - I see something and later it's not there when I look again.
When GAC changed to DAS, there was little information about GAC on Disney's websites. In fact, pretty much none.

I’m still 3 pages behind so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. On today’s Disney Dish podcast, Len Testa did an analysis of DAS numbers. It was an interesting listen.

Editing to add: as I’m catching up I see that someone already posted it in the last page or two. This thread is moving so fast!!

Last edited:
I’m friends with a number of CMs and parents of CMs and this topic has come up in conversation over the years - there are two things to this: 1. A large number of CMs are disabled and absolutely qualify for DAS, and 2. Yes, there are absolutely CMs abusing their DAS status, whether they have it with a true disability or not. It really is a thing.
This was the most surprising topic brought up today, had no idea DAS use was so frequent for CMs.

I'm glad personally that Disney's third party people are #1 a medical group, not a marketing group , and #2 doing training & consultation, not registration.

Some people have taken the information about the number of Disney employees with disabilities as meaning there is a large number of Disney employees abusing DAS. The point here is that Disney has a large internal group that they can run changes/proposes by. I know they did this with the change from GAC (Guest Assistance Card) to DAS in 2013. I know they also consulted outside disability groups then.

Regarding the large numbers of people using disability cards when Toy Story Mania opened in 2008, that was when GAC was still in effect, so people with disabilities were able to enter without waiting in the regular line. Many (if I remember correctly, pretty much all) of the plaintiffs in the GAC Autism case said their child needed to repeat the same ride over and over, without pause.
The same thing happened at Radiator Springs Racers in Disneyland, where when it opened, the majority of Fastpass 'slots' were being used by guests using GAC. I can't find the article right now, but it said people observed large numbers of people using GAC go in to ride, come out and go right back in to ride, many, many times. With GAC, the guest had to show their card to a CM at the entrance. For ease of use, many people reportedly wore their card on a lanyard around their neck.
I also read lots of accounts in different places where people had posted "our holidays will be ruined without GAC" . These people were mostly California locals to Disneyland who wrote their Christmas, Easter or whatever holiday tradition was to go to the park, ride most everything they wanted and leave right after the afternoon parade. Whether disabled or pretending to be disabled, that is abuse.

Regarding the Ticketmaster ADA seat being bought by people without needs, I don't see anything that really compares it to a theme park. For example, someone who needs an accessible ride car, ASL translation or accommodations for any other disability could go any day. A concert usually has a one night possibility of going. l could not, for example, say "all the ADA seats are sold out for today. I'll just go tomorrow," because the concert won't be there tomorrow.

Things I've read have indicated DAS will only be for the specific group including Developmental Disabilities, but would include other accommodations for other groups. I read that when it was briefly posted on the WDW and DL websites. That has been poor communication and very frustrating - I see something and later it's not there when I look again.
When GAC changed to DAS, there was little information about GAC on Disney's websites. In fact, pretty much none.
It wouldn't surprise me if the "scripts" by which DAS can be successfully obtained circulate like wildfire among Disney CMs, and I would expect that going forward, CMs' requests for DAS will be scrutinized especially closely. And if a CM claims to need an accommodation for DAS that they have not requested from Disney in the course of their employment, they would not only get refused the DAS but would quite possibly end up facing disciplinary action.

No, I disagree with this. They are standby while waiting outside the queue doing other things. Once the DAS party enters the LL they are the LL lane, mixed with all others in the LL who are there for various reasons (all unrelated to standby).

Disney's focus appears to be reducing the number of bodies in the LL, and by that it will reduce the length of time spent in that queue. There is nothing "short" about a 30 minute wait in the LL, especially by your own statement those folks have already waited the posted standby.

When the LL moves faster, the standby will move faster because it won't need to be stopped as often or for as long.

While the Lightning Lane may be short and move fast like it's supposed , that's not the problem. The problem is that DAS is taking away capacity from those who buy Genie+. From the numbers Len Testa put out with DAS taking close to 70% of LL capacity, it leaves little for those who bought Genie+.

If Disney's focus is to reduce the wait times in the LL then they should instruct cast members to allow a higher ratio of lightning lane users past the merge point. 100 to 1 in times of highest demand? Heck why not 1000 to 1 if they have to?

Would this be unfair to standby users? Well not because of DAS users. They aren't skipping to the front of the line....they waited to get there (5 hours) and now it's their turn to get on the ride. High standby lines caused by more LL going through would impact the DAS return times too!

If the standby lines are being held up by the LL it's because Disney is selling too many Genie+. Period, end of story.

Although as I argued earlier in the thread, if DAS users are no longer allowed to be in two standby lines at once it would reduce the standby wait times. Maybe by a lot, depending on how many people are doing this.

Wasn't there at some point a lawsuit because a CM was helping a disabled guest exit JC, the guest fell and got injured and then died of an infection ??

I can't imagine Disney wanting to expose their CMs and themselves to a lawsuit because a CM tried to help someone get out of a ride and the guest accidentally getting injured. Specially knowing how lawsuit happy some guests are.

I know I wouldn't want to risk accidentally pulling out someone's arm for example. (I say this as someone who this happened to)
LOL, your post reminds me of our trip last November. When a ride like Pirates would end, my husband had rush across the walkway to get my rollator. Looked a little like a silent movie comedy.
are you able to remove the entire thread and start anew? I had a hard time going back and looking for my post when I realized I might have said too much

So far all we’ve done is speculate, attack each other and vent
I went to "Your Content" in my profile, opened each page and hit Command F (MAC) to search for my condition in my posts - it's the same for windows. Then, just deleted those posts.

Last edited:

Well, just got off the phone call with Disneyland. It was pretty much useless, they basically said they have no clue who will or won't qualify for a DAS.

But there was one interesting bit out of it was they said it would be a "team of medical staff" that would discuss and advise the best tools to use.

On a different note, for Racers, those of us that truly needed the accomodations were the loudest complainers about the abuse of the GAC because it was preventing us from getting the assistance we actually needed. They quickly started doing return times for that one attraction, which then eventually led to the DAS system.

For your amusement - I was just talking with my son who needs DAS about the changes and mentioned the talk here about Rider Switch accommodations…

Him: I’d be down with that.
Me: Well, it wouldn’t apply to us -
Him: You could wait in the standby line and I’ll go sit somewhere and listen to music -
Me: No, honey it doesn’t work like -
Him: - and when it’s time for us to ride, you’ll text me -
Me: Let me explain, that’s not how RS works -
Him: - and then I’ll meet you to board the ride.

:rotfl:

Aside from the fact that I also use DAS, RS doesn't work for a party of 2, and he doesn’t even go to WDW anymore, we’ve got it all figured out! I think a whole lot of neurotypical teens would be all in on this, too. :rotfl2:

For your amusement - I was just talking with my son who needs DAS about the changes and mentioned the talk here about Rider Switch accommodations…

Him: I’d be down with that.
Me: Well, it wouldn’t apply to us -
Him: You could wait in the standby line and I’ll go sit somewhere and listen to music -
Me: No, honey it doesn’t work like -
Him: - and when it’s time for us to ride, you’ll text me -
Me: Let me explain, that’s not how RS works -
Him: - and then I’ll meet you to board the ride.

:rotfl:

Aside from the fact that I also use DAS, RS doesn't work for a party of 2, and he doesn’t even go to WDW anymore, we’ve got it all figured out! I think a whole lot of neurotypical teens would be all in on this, too. :rotfl2:
Right? If this was happening when my son was in those teen years I would have been basically at the park alone lol.

I’ve run Genie a time or two for pure entertainment value - it’s TREMENDOUSLY bad if your goal is to reduce your time in lines! Like, hysterically, unapologetically in Disney’s favor, BAD! :rotfl:

I’m friends with a number of CMs and parents of CMs and this topic has come up in conversation over the years - there are two things to this: 1. A large number of CMs are disabled and absolutely qualify for DAS, and 2. Yes, there are absolutely CMs abusing their DAS status, whether they have it with a true disability or not. It really is a thing.

I’m not the only one now wondering what’s on that script, right?! Like, if the script is good, isn’t it going to repeat the actual things someone not faking would say? How’s a CM to know what’s real and what’s not? Or was Len literally referencing a piece of paper in hand?

Same. I average around 30+ days in the parks per year and in the couple years I’ve used DAS, I’ve only ever waited longer than 15 minutes in a LL maybe 4 times, and 3 of those turned out to be because the ride went down. I’m honestly puzzled to keep seeing people say LL waits are so long because that just has not been my experience. I’m not saying it’s not happening - only that I’ve never seen it. Which feels odd.

~~~

I meant to quote the Len Testa transcript and somehow lost it. Interesting that he indicated it would be medical professionals taking the virtual calls, not CMs, when all the info people have gotten direct form Disney this week have said the opposite. I know he usually knows his stuff, but this one feels off, no?

I LOVE the idea of having a private room into which one can go to video call in the parks! I’m pretty comfortable talking about my triggers and needs, but I know it can be off-putting to anyone eavesdropping (and yes, many Guests do just that), and I’m sure uncomfortable for some who are requesting DAS. This would be a real nice change for those who want or need to do their talk in the parks.
Hearing the thing about reading off of a paper etc hits me personally as an autistic person. I have to write down my thoughts ahead of time to help me through the process as otherwise it’s like an inquisition to get me to coherently verbally explain anything. The anxiety of the situation of explaining yourself just increases all this and I can freeze up. So hopefully that wouldn’t be a red flag like they are saying it. I did this the other day when applying for DAS in May and they were fine with me reading off my thoughts. Said it was good actually and to keep it as I’ll need it for next time.

I don’t know of any extended family member or friend who would willingly want to join us. Mostly they avoid traveling with us. They would loose their sanity in the first few hours.

To those that do, I salute you.

Maybe the higher ups need to spend some time with those with disabilities to truly understand. But then again they will probably need PTSD care if they did.
We usually have one family member that helps out a lot. But last year when a different relative came to “help” she ended up saying she was scared of my 8 year old. After a store meltdown. 🤦‍♀️

Hearing the thing about reading off of a paper etc hits me personally as an autistic person. I have to write down my thoughts ahead of time to help me through the process as otherwise it’s like an inquisition to get me to coherently verbally explain anything. The anxiety of the situation of explaining yourself just increases all this and I can freeze up. So hopefully that wouldn’t be a red flag like they are saying it. I did this the other day when applying for DAS in May and they were fine with me reading off my thoughts. Said it was good actually and to keep it as I’ll need it for next time.
I don’t think it’s reading off of a paper per se but I’m assuming (because I’ve never actually looked into it) that there are specific scripts that people use to get DAS. You wouldn’t be using those scripts bc you are using your own words. Your own words aren’t going to sound like someone else’s words. People that legitimately qualify for DAS don’t need to look up words bc they have their own experiences to draw upon. Fakers don’t have that.

The WDW guide book does appear to be updated (and is dated 4/5/2024), but does not include as many bullets under Rider Switch as the DLR guide book. It could be things will be handled differently on each coast. This is from the WDW guide book :

View attachment 851979
I think that due to the guest demographic (visitor / local) DLR is seeing a lot of abuse from those with magic keys. They also increased the length since they’ll now be more strict with who gets it. So they’ve probably evidence of which percentage of visitors vs locals are using certain
With that feature, which I have had to use with my young children that are not able to go on the rides, has 1 major drawback, it is essentially saying that if you have an IBD disability, you cannot ride with your entire party and you will be forcing your entire group to go through a normal line process (call it 4 people went in normal queue first for 1 hour for example on the Flight of Na'vi) then the disabled person goes in with 1 other person in LL right after and goes through the ride. So my group of 4 went on the ride, waited an hour or so, plus ride time, now it's my turn and for anyone who's been in the LL line for that ride, knows it will still take about 20-30 minutes to wait and ride and get back to your group. So how is that fair that I have to not only NOT ENJOY the company of my group (the whole point of going with family and friends) and HAVE TO WASTE another 20-30 minutes more than anyone else to ride it right after, multiply that situation throughout a whole day, and so I am not able to have fun with the group (which is emotionally a burden to carry on your party) but I am losing anywhere from 10-30 minutes per ride about 7-8 times in a day having to ride it right after which means they're costing me anywhere from over 1 hour-4 hours. I hope others in my situation get the chance to update the situation before I need to do my registration mid July, because I don't see how that is accommodating my disability fairly; I have no choice but to rely solely on Genie+ and ILLs to even have a chance to ride with my group. And I know Rider Switch is a major drag on time, because last year my 4 year old (3 at the time) couldn't ride 3 rides at EPCOT and it costed us 90 minutes (about 30 minutes each) on re-riding the rides twice in a row to get all our eligible group members to ride those 3 rides once each. In that situation it was fair because we know the height requirements and it's our choice to do that.
I think you have a good point with the extra time it will take you. That was exactly why we were never able to access rider switch with my DD kids when they qualified due to height. ETA: waiting while your group is in the standby line and then going to the LL should be the same length of wait as with DAS so I don’t see the difference. I was solely thinking of how rider switch took too long for my kids when we couldn’t take them on the ride.

As far as the riding with only one member of the party… that stinks. Someone upthread suggested that other parks have a firm limit of 3 guests, regardless of party size. I am
guessing that they are seeing abuse from the adult population more than groups with disabled children. Since DAS is intended primarily for children with DD I’m guessing that’s where they are trying to accommodate more guests. Rider swap used to allow the rider and 2 from the party. Unfortunately for those with IBD (which this thread has taught all of us and the scammers the difference) so many people scamming with “IBS” have likely ruined their access to DAS. 😒

Last edited:
People have written down and read their own thoughts for along time.
I don't agree with the writers of that Podcast that reading is a big red flag. What would be a red flag is someone reading off a script word for word that the CMs have heard many times.

I don’t think it’s reading off of a paper per se but I’m assuming (because I’ve never actually looked into it) that there are specific scripts that people use to get DAS. You wouldn’t be using those scripts bc you are using your own words. Your own words aren’t going to sound like someone else’s words. People that legitimately qualify for DAS don’t need to look up words bc they have their own experiences to draw upon. Fakers don’t have that.
True.
Use your own words and experiences

I have looked thru this thread but still don’t understand if I should apply for DAS for my trip on beginning May 2nd. I have been approved since my diagnosis in 2019. I am not developmentally disabled nor do I have autism so I understand I will not be eligible under the new rules. Will other accommodations be available? Do I have to call to qualify for them? Thank you!

If Disney's focus is to reduce the wait times in the LL then they should instruct cast members to allow a higher ratio of lightning lane users past the merge point. 100 to 1 in times of highest demand? Heck why not 1000 to 1 if they have to?

Would this be unfair to standby users? Well not because of DAS users. They aren't skipping to the front of the line....they waited to get there (5 hours) and now it's their turn to get on the ride. High standby lines caused by more LL going through would impact the DAS return times too!

If the standby lines are being held up by the LL it's because Disney is selling too many Genie+. Period, end of story.

Although as I argued earlier in the thread, if DAS users are no longer allowed to be in two standby lines at once it would reduce the standby wait times. Maybe by a lot, depending on how many people are doing this.
That's the thing many are not understanding, they can't just add capacity to fix the issue.

They can't increase Lightning Lane capacity. Ride capacity is a set number per hour. You can't just increase LL as then nobody in standby would be able to ride anything.

For example a rides capacity is 1000 guests per hour. With the numbers of 70% DAS using LL takes out 700 of that 1000 guests. Leaving 300 for Genie+ and standby. You figure 200 of that 300 left will be for Genie+ so that leaves 100 standby guests per hour can ride it.

Hopefully they helps some understand why the changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter