DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Actually, I would hope they are trained to offer and explain the appropriate accommodation. So many posts here are assuming it's DAS or nothing. If properly trained, the CM should offer the appropriate accommodation (be that DAS or other) and explain how it will work.
Of course, but that's not entirely what I meant.
For the first few weeks, months, maybe even for the first year of this new set up, we can expect that guests will get upset. Even when new accommodations are offered, changes can be scary, guests will be hesitant to find a new way to make a Disney visit possible.

With this uncertainty probably come emotional conversations. Whether that is a person yelling at the CM or hysterically sobbing. Yes, you can click your screen away when someone yells at you, but that's the only time you can. When someone is crying in front of you, what can you do as a CM if you can't even offer a glass of water, because you are on a screen.

I hope the CMs are properly supported. Emotional conversations are draining when working in a service job. You need ways to decompress between calls, after work, you need good support from your supervisor and colleagues. Too much of this, and CMs might quit, get burn outs, etc.
That's what I meant with I hope they are prepared.

Or increase park hours and ensure that all rides are oeprating at full capacity. They used to be open much later.
Part of the problem is that park hours are limited and the hours that used to be extra magic are now sold as after hour events. That’s one way Disney increased price (less hours for minimal increase in ticket prices).

With smart phones and a major computer system. Can’t Disney just eliminate the hole wanting on lines . Something like L.LANE for all guest. You join a queue, then you get a message to get on a short line. It can be all automated. This would eliminate all this problems. Disney can still charge to shorten your Waite time .

I hear what you are saying, but I responded as it did because my expectation is the response might be "OK, based on what you've said X should help with your needs. Let me explain how that works in the parks..." I certainly hope it's not just a quick "no, sorry, no DAS for you" and end up in a big emotional situation. Properly handling the call in the first place diffuses that major emotion.

I also expect they will be trained to ask more in-depth questions to ascertain needs. Either before initially offering the accommodation or if the guest pushes back that they had something different previously. It's my understanding that this is part of why Disney has partnered with Inspire Health Alliance to help train the video chat CMs.

I hope the CMs are properly prepared for the emotions that might occur when people get rejected who got approved before.
They don’t care. They’re well trained to say they can’t do anything and just keep quiet after and let the guest vent (if kept respectful, reasonable).

I just had a call where a CM assured me she applied the free dining promo to my existing reservation (I called 2 mins after phone lines opened) and I happened to check my account that I didn’t get a refund for the discount applied no email confirmation; she said she’ll try again, then couldn’t, then said she would talk to someone who handled the promo, to not worry they have workarounds if it didn’t apply, assuring me constantly; and hung up when she finally got a hold of a supervisor (always ask for the CM’s name and extension so you can call back). The next CM said she saw someone went into my account but no action or notes were made. Nothing they can do about it; my dates were no longer available. Call was over 2 hours and I just cancelled my package.

Of course, but that's not entirely what I meant.
For the first few weeks, months, maybe even for the first year of this new set up, we can expect that guests will get upset. Even when new accommodations are offered, changes can be scary, guests will be hesitant to find a new way to make a Disney visit possible.

With this uncertainty probably come emotional conversations. Whether that is a person yelling at the CM or hysterically sobbing. Yes, you can click your screen away when someone yells at you, but that's the only time you can. When someone is crying in front of you, what can you do as a CM if you can't even offer a glass of water, because you are on a screen.

I hope the CMs are properly supported. Emotional conversations are draining when working in a service job. You need ways to decompress between calls, after work, you need good support from your supervisor and colleagues. Too much of this, and CMs might quit, get burn outs, etc.
I agree with that. On Monday our CM friend (who has been working for Disney for several years including just before the pandemic) told us "had never been verbally accosted by a guest as bad as I was tonight. All because I had to evacuate them and go it by procedure."

These changes, even if we assume for most they aren't won't amount to the loss of actual DAS or other other accommodation, are still a large announcement and procedural change for Disney. It will be expected that not all will take it as well as another. I think a video call is helpful for noise at the parks and sticking more to the rules but it also can be easier for people to forget they are talking to an employee because they don't have to worry about the reactions of other people around them. Hopefully we don't hear of too much issues either way because at the heart of it both the guest and the CM deserve sympathy.

I would think Disney would still enable GR in the parks to be able to add/remove people from DAS (or whatever new accommodation replaces it) users’ parties. There is no need to reevaluate the need for accommodation in that case - it’s only a matter of DAS user visiting with Guest B instead of Guest A at that time.

To put it to a real life example… tomorrow I - the DAS user - will be spending the day with Guest A from my Friends & Family list. So I have GR in the park select Guest A as a member of my DAS party and we go about our day. Two days later, Guest A isn’t around, but Guests B and C join me in a park for the day: I ask GR to remove Guest A from my DAS party and add Guests B and C.

This isn’t a departure from how it works now. On my last day visit, Guest A was already in my DAS party, and I went to GR to add Guests B and C - they were already in my F&F list, but only GR could add them to my DAS party. So I then had a DAS party of 4: me + 3. But not every Guest wanted to ride every ride. So when I booked a return time through DAS, I selected only the Guests who would be accompanying me.

The tech is already set up to manage your DAS party for each attraction on your own - the only change would be limiting the ability to select more than 3 additional Guests per DAS selection. I actually think Disney’s IT could handle that, unlike some of the other ideas floated, lol!
Yes that's what I posited too. Party can be bigger but a limit on the actual riders.

We do this all the time cause it takes a village to help our guy and a little respite for the other caretakers while 1-2 ride with him. This happens a lot when the grandparents come along

I hear what you are saying, but I responded as it did because my expectation is the response might be "OK, based on what you've said X should help with your needs. Let me explain how that works in the parks..." I certainly hope it's not just a quick "no, sorry, no DAS for you" and end up in a big emotional situation. Properly handling the call in the first place diffuses that major emotion.

I also expect they will be trained to ask more in-depth questions to ascertain needs. Either before initially offering the accommodation or if the guest pushes back that they had something different previously. It's my understanding that this is part of why Disney has partnered with Inspire Health Alliance to help train the video chat CMs.
How to say 'no' gracefully is a skill.

Thank you, I keep checking back here for any updates on more info released by Disney or to hear about folks experiences applying for DAS since the changes, and it's hard to find anything relevant for those who actually use DAS and are planning a trip because there's just pages and pages of folks arguing/speculating.

Side note, Gothic Rosie (vlogger) posted last night that she was told (along with others) that CMs are telling folks at Disneyland to 'ignore the language' on the site saying its limited to DD and to still apply/have that conversation with a CM. Of course, grain a salt here since CMs can be wrong, but seems this is being told to folks quite a bit over there.
I've read the same on various blogs/social media.
The WDW and Disneyland websites say is that what I'll call 'traditional GAC' will continue to be available for guests with developmental disabilities. It's not clear whether or not that will include DAS Advance Selections - they are no longer discussed on the website. They could still be issued on a case by case basis, based on needs. That would be legal because it would be an accommodation for needs.

Many people are making an assumption that guests with developmental disabilities will 'automatically ' get DAS after the change. That was never the case before; guests had to explain why the regular queue caused issues for them. There would be no reason to stop doing that.

Many people are assuming that there will be no accommodations for people who don't fit into the category of developmental disabilities. Just because accommodations are not listed doesn't mean there will be none. The ADA still requires appropriate accommodations based on needs related to a disability. That doesn't mean the accommodation has to be DAS, it just means they will be looking at what accommodations will fit the need.

Many people are making assumptions based on the WDW and Disneyland websites listing things like Rider Switch, Return to line, Genie (people are assuming that means paid Genie +, but there is another FREE planning part of Genie).
People are assuming those things are ALL that will be offered to guests who don't have development disabilities.
PRETTY MUCH all of those things were already on the website as ways to 'plan your day.' But, they were hidden several clicks in , included in a Guide for Guest with Cognitive Disabilities. The majority of guests probably NEVER saw that information because it wasn't 'front and center' on the websites like it is now.

I have encouraged the same thing. Do that video call. See what is offered as accommodation. Assuming there is no accommodation certainly will get you exactly that -- no accommodation.
I agree.
This is what people who are calling and emailing are reporting being told.
But, I've heard that people who are calling now for a trip in the next 30 days have been told by the video CMs that as many as 50 to 80% of the chats are from people with trips WAY in the future - like October, Christmas and next year.
I understand people are upset and frustrated with the small amount of information available about other accommodations right now, but calling right now isn't going to proved a lot of information and is impacting the people who are trying to register/get information for a trip that is upcoming in the next 30 days or less

Thank you, I keep checking back here for any updates on more info released by Disney or to hear about folks experiences applying for DAS since the changes, and it's hard to find anything relevant for those who actually use DAS and are planning a trip because there's just pages and pages of folks arguing/speculating.

Side note, Gothic Rosie (vlogger) posted last night that she was told (along with others) that CMs are telling folks at Disneyland to 'ignore the language' on the site saying its limited to DD and to still apply/have that conversation with a CM. Of course, grain a salt here since CMs can be wrong, but seems this is being told to folks quite a bit over there.
When GAC (Guest Assistance Card) changed to DAS in 2013 and again when it changed to advance video registration, @lanejudy and I had a thread where we posted what was known, what was rumored and experienced. The first post was updated frequently to reflect what was known. We intend to do the same, but haven't had time yet.

We are volunteers with lives outside of this forum. You may have noticed that both of us are posting all hours of the day and into the night. We want to keep this thread open because we know people are confused and frustrated.
We are doing what we're doing because we are passionate about people with disabilities having current, pertinent and accurate information

Part of the problem is that park hours are limited and the hours that used to be extra magic are now sold as after hour events. That’s one way Disney increased price (less hours for minimal increase in ticket prices).
True from the economic side of the house.

As pointed out before, would bet that the vast majority of DAS holders aren't in the parks for extended hours.

When GAC (Guest Assistance Card) changed to DAS in 2013 and again when it changed to advance video registration, @lanejudy and I had a thread where we posted what was known, what was rumored and experienced. The first post was updated frequently to reflect what was known. We intend to do the same, but haven't had time yet.

We are volunteers with lives outside of this forum. You may have noticed that both of us are posting all hours of the day and into the night. We want to keep this thread open because we know people are confused and frustrated.
We are doing what we're doing because we are passionate about people with disabilities having current, pertinent and accurate information
I truly appriciate both you, @SueM in MN and @lanejudy, for your dedication to this thread and the other DIS threads you monitor and maintain. You have helped me in countless ways and enabled me to have great Disney trips. Without DAS (or whatever accommodations are deemed appropriate for my issues), I would not even consider going, as I often make the trek from Minnesota to Orlando as a solo "older" traveler.

Not knowing the details is very frustrating, as you have said over and over, and as a manic planner, I too am anxious (and pretty impatient, to be honest) to understand what the future of this program will be.

Thank you for your hard work, and for helping the rest of us stay calm in the face of the unknown.

Jeanne

I hope it goes well. I'm in a similar position. I have an autoimmune condition that I've always gotten DAS for but my daughter has had many of the same issues and is in the process of getting her own diagnosis and treatment. She's 12. My DAS has worked well for us both. I'm wondering now if either of us will qualify and I'm unsure how we'll navigate the parks without it but I'm especially worried about her.
I just feel blindsided by this change and it's really stressing me out. I wish the best to you and your DD!

What if your husband is military on deployment and comes home early and makes it a surprise so he can come with you on your trip that he was previously unable to attend due to deployment? How is a lifetime ban appropriate?
Despite my beef with some changes Disney has made I can never see them doing this.

I think we just don’t know how things will work. I believe it would be reevaluate need when adding people NOT going back and judging if you were true or not. If they could offer RS during the initial call if you added the additional guest/guests it would be the same situation when you ask Guest Services to add more people.

With smart phones and a major computer system. Can’t Disney just eliminate the hole wanting on lines . Something like L.LANE for all guest. You join a queue, then you get a message to get on a short line. It can be all automated. This would eliminate all this problems. Disney can still charge to shorten your Waite time .
MDE would have the something went wrong sign permanently displayed

I was told three times yesterday by GS reps there will be no advance DAS

Followed by that the changes are designed as a whole new system

Of course, until we see it on paper, who knows
Allears net has posted that some disabled guests may still get DAS Advance Selections, based on their needs.
I'm guessing that if anyone gets them, it would be a very small number. That's based on the information on the websites no longer including information about them.
But, as you mentioned, we won't know for a while. If it's only offered to a small subset of guests, I doubt that it will be listed on the website

And if you get a VQ boarding group and have DAS, you are allowed to enter the LL when your BG is called.

If you get a BG and don't have DAS, you enter the regular line (sort of standby line, but you must have a BG to enter).

If you pay for a ILL$, you enter the LL at your ILL$ time that you selected.
That makes sense

IMO, this won't fly. You cannot tell people what they can and cannot do in their free time. If say someone is waiting for 60 minute DAS return for Space Mountain and Tomorrowland Transit Authority or People Movers have 5 minute waits, DAS holders aren't supposed to ride? Many DAS holders cannot stay in the park all day.
I understand why people feel this way… and as someone who has been to the parks with a severely autistic individual and also with
Thank you for posting this - I completely agree. Riding the PeopleMover with a 10 minute wait while waiting for a DAS ride is not abusing the system!

I suppose someone could jump into an "E-ticket" attraction while waiting for a DAS to activate for another "E-Ticket" attraction but that is not the way I believe most are using DAS.

I don't think there is anything wrong with riding a ride with a short standby line or seeing a show while waiting for DAS and definitely nothing wrong with eating or shopping while waiting for DAS.
I agree that since Disney encourages it, it is not wrong for people to do. But as someone who was been to the parks with a DAS user and without … I do understand how those guests waiting in the physical standby line might feel as though the DAS user is getting an “advantage”. Because those in the standby line can only experience the one attraction the are waiting for. They are unable to wait in two lines at once, or to have a meal while waiting to ride a ride. In order for the non DAS holding guest to do that they would have to pay to do it with genie plus… where the DAS holder gets that perk for free.
Again, I’m not saying it is “wrong” since Disney encourages it… but I totally understand how people could view this as Disney offering the DAS holder an “elevated” experience…
And I can totally see how it would encourage people to lie to get a pass that would let them double their rides.
Not judging anyone who does this.. just saying I see it from both sides .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter