Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Leaving contracts aside for a moment.
I am pretty sure the owner could call and change the names on the reservation for Yankeesfan123. Just like the owner could cancel it. I think but did not check David will sell existing reservations. This would give dave a double dip. Assuming this is paid for and David is holding the money what is stopping the owner/renter from changing the names? Dave has all he is entitled too he doesn't deserve a double dip.
The first step would be David’s willingness to put the contract aside and ask the owner to make the changes. There’s no harm in asking but David’s is not obliged to agree. There’s nothing in it for him except the goodwill it would buy him.

But contractually speaking, his agreement is not with the people a renter might choose to sublet to. It could open a whole can of worms for him if he allowed it. That’s why it would behoove him to just rent out the confirmed reservation to another renter that actually signs his rental agreement, if he chooses to make any concessions at all.

That's the part that scares me everything else I can understand it appears to be typical.. My check in date is June 21 at BRV... provided they give me a "credit" also I paid via disney gift cards for the DDP about $2800. I assume my only options are to try and get the DDP credit back first and issue a charge back.
I hope you still have those gift cards. When DVC refunds the dining plan, the money should go back to the form of payment that was used. The DDP should get canceled when the reservation is canceled by DVC and the refund should be automatically triggered then.

You can take to Facebook and pose your question directly to David’s there. I think some people are getting results quicker when they ask on social media. Or you may find someone who dealt with this already and they may have an answer for you.

I think the basic argument I’m hearing is that David doesn’t have to... but it would be a nice thing to do with very little effort.

Correct, He could always have allowed it, but the contract with owners,,and the reasons owners have booked with him and paid him a decent fee...was so they didn’t have to do anything more once the reservation was made,

In this situation, with so many renters not being able to go, he has taken the hard line, even when owners have said they would reach out to a renter and get them rescheduled.

That is why your situation is so difficult because he hasn’t been very renter or owner friendly since this started.

Maybe you will get lucky and he will be in a different spot and change His current practices!

I am kind of suggesting you contact the owner and think about doing it without David. David has no connection into DVC he uses the owner for that
Agreed. Might try that route. My owner has quite a presence on the internet due to his business that accepts donations, so I might try that option once I get a response from David.

I hope you still have those gift cards. When DVC refunds the dining plan, the money should go back to the form of payment that was used. The DDP should get canceled when the reservation is canceled by DVC and the refund should be automatically triggered then.

You can take to Facebook and pose your question directly to David’s there. I think some people are getting results quicker when they ask on social media. Or you may find someone who dealt with this already and they may have an answer for you.
I’ve only had my questions on Facebook to David’s deleted lol.

Agreed. Might try that route. My owner has quite a presence on the internet due to his business that accepts donations, so I might try that option once I get a response from David.

Just be aware that an owner doing this for you could get him in hot water with his contract with Davids and he may be forfeiting the 30% he is still owed.

Obviously, that is up to him, but giving you background as to what could happen.

Without Davids approval, a contract/name change To new renters could leave him without all his money.

I was able to re-book with David's using my voucher. Although I entered my credit card to authorize the search, no fee was assessed against it. The total was exactly what I paid for the original booking so no additional required.

This was not a huge booking. I am a long time DVC owner myself and used David's to add on a few days to a booking I already had. I go to WDW several times a year and was point poor. Usually I would do a transfer but for only a few days, I decided to rent..... first time, wouldn't you know?

Was able to re-book for next March. While I got all the canned emails, when I finally submitted my reservation request, I got a prompt response.

Hopefully all goes well in the future both for me and the person who owns the points!

I'm not a renter or owner but I do feel for renters whoa re going to caught in the resort open/parks closed situation and so wish there was something that could be done for them but yeah they are most likely going to be SOL.
To salvage their vacation they are going to have to settle for staying at a DVC resort while going to Universal and SeaWorld

Just be aware that an owner doing this for you could get him in hot water with his contract with Davids and he may be forfeiting the 30% he is still owed.

Obviously, that is up to him, but giving you background as to what could happen.

Without Davids approval, a contract/name change To new renters could leave him without all his money.
Unless I make up that money for him outside of David’s! But this is all hypothetical. Who knows where this will go

I am a relatively new DVC owner and have a couple of questions regarding rental reservations. We did not have any plans for a Disney trip this year so we rented our points through David's to two different renters. I have not had any contact from David's and have been trying to read through the thread to update myself on the current situation.

The first rental is 6/16/23/20 - 6/23/20. Since this rental starts prior to 6/22/20 DVC should cancel it on 6/9/20 and the points will be returned to my account. I used 63 banked pints to make this rental along with current year points. I have a December use year so I know the banked points will be lost unless a new reservation can be made prior to 11/30/20.

The second rental is 7/6/20 - 7/10/20. I used current year points for this reservation. These renters are from the U.K. and I would assume that they will not be traveling with current travel restrictions in place. Since this reservation is after 6/22/20 DVC will not be canceling it and in order for my points to not go into holding I would need to cancel before 6/6/20. I know I cannot cancel the reservation without hearing from David's or I would be in violation of the contract. Do you think I should contact the renters to ask if they are still planning on taking their trip?

Once my June reservation is canceled could I contact Member Services and ask them to use my 63 banked points for the July reservation to free up 63 current year points? Would that cause a problem for the contract with David's? I know I told David's how many banked points and current year points I had but I do not think they know which reservation used the banked points. I am okay with losing the banked points but I do not want my current year points to go into holding. I would love to be able to cancel the July reservation before the 30 day mark if the renters will not be using it but it sounds like trying to get a response from David's in the next week will be next to impossible.

I do not mind trying to change the reservation dates if that works for the renters but that does not seem to be an option based on what I have read here. I am okay if I loose the 30% I am still owed if I can bank most of my current use year points. This was the first time we rented points out. Since we did not have plans for a trip this year I thought renting the points was a good way to help others have the trip they were dreaming of. I think in the future I will just use the points myself or gift them to friends and family.

Thank you for any answers.

I am a relatively new DVC owner and have a couple of questions regarding rental reservations. We did not have any plans for a Disney trip this year so we rented our points through David's to two different renters. I have not had any contact from David's and have been trying to read through the thread to update myself on the current situation.

The first rental is 6/16/23/20 - 6/23/20. Since this rental starts prior to 6/22/20 DVC should cancel it on 6/9/20 and the points will be returned to my account. I used 63 banked pints to make this rental along with current year points. I have a December use year so I know the banked points will be lost unless a new reservation can be made prior to 11/30/20.

The second rental is 7/6/20 - 7/10/20. I used current year points for this reservation. These renters are from the U.K. and I would assume that they will not be traveling with current travel restrictions in place. Since this reservation is after 6/22/20 DVC will not be canceling it and in order for my points to not go into holding I would need to cancel before 6/6/20. I know I cannot cancel the reservation without hearing from David's or I would be in violation of the contract. Do you think I should contact the renters to ask if they are still planning on taking their trip?

Once my June reservation is canceled could I contact Member Services and ask them to use my 63 banked points for the July reservation to free up 63 current year points? Would that cause a problem for the contract with David's? I know I told David's how many banked points and current year points I had but I do not think they know which reservation used the banked points. I am okay with losing the banked points but I do not want my current year points to go into holding. I would love to be able to cancel the July reservation before the 30 day mark if the renters will not be using it but it sounds like trying to get a response from David's in the next week will be next to impossible.

I do not mind trying to change the reservation dates if that works for the renters but that does not seem to be an option based on what I have read here. I am okay if I loose the 30% I am still owed if I can bank most of my current use year points. This was the first time we rented points out. Since we did not have plans for a trip this year I thought renting the points was a good way to help others have the trip they were dreaming of. I think in the future I will just use the points myself or gift them to friends and family.

I would call now and see if member services will allow you to switch the banked points now to the July reservation. If you don't ask the answer no.

You can not cancel any reservation with Davids or it entitles his renters to a refund, So, you will have to wait for DVC to cancel the first one,

Once canceled, you can then modify the July reservation on your own to free up current UY points and have the banked points Used in that. It won’t change a thing. You can also call DVC and ask them to reallocate, They can not do this until the first reservation is canceled and you have to let them do it so you don’t violate the contract with Davids,

In terms of the July rental, you are stuck. Any cancellation by you without Davids express consent, regardless of what the renters tell you, voids the contract and you are liable,

I realize you want to avoid holding, and maybe help the renter, but as long as It is during times when resorts are open, you are entitled to get full payment,

For the canceled one, Davids will ask you to either refund the money or agree to rent those points again before paying you the balance,

Correct, He could always have allowed it, but the contract with owners,,and the reasons owners have booked with him and paid him a decent fee...was so they didn’t have to do anything more once the reservation was made,

In this situation, with so many renters not being able to go, he has taken the hard line, even when owners have said they would reach out to a renter and get them rescheduled.

That is why your situation is so difficult because he hasn’t been very renter or owner friendly since this started.

Maybe you will get lucky and he will be in a different spot and change His current practices!
I am shocked. David’s offered to reach out to the owner to rebook if possible OR issue a voucher.

Even though my dates are in August and the resort and parks will be open.

I’ve been very critical of David’s here. And I’m aware of the downsides of the voucher. But they did not have to do this and could have just kept my money. I am shocked.

I am shocked. David’s offered to reach out to the owner to rebook if possible OR issue a voucher.

I’ve been very critical of David’s here. And I’m aware of the downsides of the voucher. But they did not have to do this and could have just kept my money. I am shocked.

Great news! Maybe he has realized taking this approach is much better in the long run for his business. Fingers crossed for you!

The voucher is an attempt to invalidate chargebacks. They are hoping you accept it since you will forfeit your ability to do a chargeback if you do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!