Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Thank you - it is. Maybe I underestimate what is involved in changing the name on the reservation, but it seems like a small thing for an owner to do to help someone in this unprecedented situation. I can understand refusing to reschedule or cancel if the owner's points are about to expire, but changing names seems minor in the grand scheme of things. I'm the lead guest, so good to know that we may be able to change other guests' names if we go (since half of our party almost definitely can't go unless the virus miraculously disappears before September).

In the case of Davids, he is not even paying out money owed to owners right now. In many cases, thats thousands of dollars. Without an immediate payment from Davids, I wouldnt even consider it. The issue you are nentioning is between the renter and the place they purchased from, not the owner...so it would take a concession from all 3.

There are reports that David's is withholding this fee from some owners, and others he has stated that he would only pay it if they agree to re-rent the points. These positions are in direct conflict with the contract he signed with the owner, yet he believes he can get away with it so he's doing it.
I had another reservation I made for a renter in April which never happened. David's contacted me and asked me to return the 70%. I said no, so they asked if I would be willing to eventually re-rent those points. I said yes. I still have not received the final 30% on that reservation. I assumed it would come if/when a new reservation I make has their check in. Originally I did not push for the money back because I felt bad for the renters and had assumed it would go back to them. Reading here, I see the renters are getting at best a voucher, and no refunds. In hindsight I should have pushed for my 30% and still continued to be open to renting out those points for someone else, with no later on compensation if a rental actually occurs.

Does anyone have any insight into renters who may have purchased cancel anytime Insurance and gotten a refund? If this happened, David's is off the hook and no voucher is given, correct? For any reservations where this occurred, is David's paying out the other 30% to the owner? Or are they still keeping that portion of the payment? As owners, we really have no way of knowing if our renters got a refund from Insurance or not.

Please remember to post the link to a business. I have had to delete posts that did not,

Remember, if a business is filtered, we can not discuss it here on the DiS, By providing the link,..you will know via preview if it will show up..if not, then don’t work around things by posting a name,

Updates can be made to the filter, so it’s always good to confirm. Thank you.

In the case of Davids, he is not even paying out money owed to owners right now. In many cases, thats thousands of dollars. Without an immediate payment from Davids, I wouldnt even consider it. The issue you are nentioning is between the renter and the place they purchased from, not the owner...so it would take a concession from all 3.

Exactly. And, to be honest, the debate of how easy or hard it is for an owner to me isn’t the issue, The issue is that all of a sudden if an owner wants to see their contract fulfilled and not get involved in changes when Resort is open, seem to be be labeled as selfish.

If a resort being open but a renter not wanting to go doesn’t fall into the no changes clause, I don’t know what does.

I am all for the contacting of individual owners and if they want to change, great...but if not, IMO, a renter should not be upset with an owner for making the choice to not have to do anything more.

Exactly. And, to be honest, the debate of how easy or hard it is for an owner to me isn’t the issue, The issue is that all of a sudden if an owner wants to see their contract fulfilled and not get involved in changes when Resort is open, seem to be be labeled as selfish.

If a resort being open but a renter not wanting to go doesn’t fall into the no changes clause, I don’t know what does.

I am all for the contacting of individual owners and if they want to change, great...but if not, IMO, a renter should not be upset with an owner for making the choice to not have to do anything more.
I have been trying to get through to Member Services off and on for two weeks. I sent an email about a week ago and have not heard back. We're trying to get our small business up and running again so I don't have all day to keep calling (constant busy signals) or checking the website for chat availability. But I have placed at least 30 calls and constantly check member website throughout the day for chat. I am hesitant to contact my renters directly since I am not even sure I can transfer their reservations due to this and the fact of point expiration limitations and availability of rooms. This latter part took a while for me to understand so explaining it to a non-member could be a nightmare. I guess my point is this: being willing to make changes and being ABLE to make changes are not one and the same. I agree with Sandisw, it is not selfish, it may fall to practical matters and limitations.

Also, I do not want David's coming after me for damages to the renter for changing/cancelling reservations.

I have been trying to get through to Member Services off and on for two weeks. I sent an email about a week ago and have not heard back. We're trying to get our small business up and running again so I don't have all day to keep calling (constant busy signals) or checking the website for chat availability. But I have placed at least 30 calls and constantly check member website throughout the day for chat. I am hesitant to contact my renters directly since I am not even sure I can transfer their reservations due to this and the fact of point expiration limitations and availability of rooms. This latter part took a while for me to understand so explaining it to a non-member could be a nightmare. I guess my point is this: being willing to make changes and being ABLE to make changes are not one and the same. I agree with Sandisw, it is not selfish, it may fall to practical matters and limitations.

Also, I do not want David's coming after me for damages to the renter for changing/cancelling reservations.

See, I didn't know that an owner would have to go to this much trouble just to change the name. That makes more sense now that it isn't as simple as going online and making a change. Just to be clear, I am not blaming owners at all here. It is a crappy situation all around. It just doesn't feel fair to me that they keep my $5,000 and then the rental company rents the same points to someone else, so that someone in the equation is getting paid twice (I assume it's not the owner).

Does anyone have any insight into renters who may have purchased cancel anytime Insurance and gotten a refund? If this happened, David's is off the hook and no voucher is given, correct? For any reservations where this occurred, is David's paying out the other 30% to the owner? Or are they still keeping that portion of the payment? As owners, we really have no way of knowing if our renters got a refund from Insurance or not.

So far, we haven't heard from anyone with CFAR insurance who has actually filed or been successful with a claim. Early on, someone posted that their CFAR insurance should cover them. However, that poster never came back to say whether they actually filed with the CFAR and whether it covered them.

The issue that some posters saw is that the CFAR insurance is if the INSURED (the one buying the policy) cancels the trip, NOT if the trip is cancelled on them by the provider. Plus CFAR insurance typically would provide 50-75% of non-refundable costs. So, whether the insurance company considers a voucher offered by David's an acceptable solution is a crapshoot.

See, I didn't know that an owner would have to go to this much trouble just to change the name. That makes more sense now that it isn't as simple as going online and making a change. Just to be clear, I am not blaming owners at all here. It is a crappy situation all around. It just doesn't feel fair to me that they keep my $5,000 and then the rental company rents the same points to someone else, so that someone in the equation is getting paid twice (I assume it's not the owner).

Thank you for your response. Under normal circumstances, it may be inconvenient, but not a ton of trouble, in my opinion anyway. And you are correct, the owner is not paid twice, the intermediary is (although they are likely also "losing" overall due to what is going on). No winners anywhere...

This is my recollection as well except I don't recall a single person coming forward and claiming that the add on trip insurance got them money back. I recall a different poster claiming that happened, yet not being able to locate the claim. I believe you are spot on about who has to cancel and there are limitations on when it is cancelled plus lots of other fine print.

So far, we haven't heard from anyone with CFAR insurance who has actually filed or been successful with a claim. Early on, someone posted that their CFAR insurance should cover them. However, that poster never came back to say whether they actually filed with the CFAR and whether it covered them.

The issue that some posters saw is that the CFAR insurance is if the INSURED (the one buying the policy) cancels the trip, NOT if the trip is cancelled on them by the provider. Plus CFAR insurance typically would provide 50-75% of non-refundable costs. So, whether the insurance company considers a voucher offered by David's an acceptable solution is a crapshoot.

Actually, that won’t happen with a resort open. If the owner does not want to change the name, then they will simply let the reservation stand, lose the points, and get their full pay.

Unless another option is presented by the owner, that is how it works, I know I will be proposing a solution if my renter doesn’t want to go, but it will be up to David’s if he wants to accept it on behalf of the renter

look at your contract to see what the terms say about changing names. Maybe you can get help that way

I've heard a few people mention "holding" being suspended during the park closure (I assume once the resorts open June 22nd they'll stop waiving that, right?). Am I correct in reading about it that as long as you cancel more than one month out the points are returned normally for your use year? Sorry for not understanding, I'm a renter, not an owner. Just trying to make sure me sitting on my reservation while I see what happens isn't going to make it even worse for the owner when we likely cancel.

I assume my owners either play ball with the voucher system or be disinclined whether I do that now or in a few more weeks when Disney finally releases more details. I do wish I knew a little more about them... if I knew for a fact my reservation is right at the end of their window to use the points I wouldn't bother them with asking.

Actually, that won’t happen with a resort open. If the owner does not want to change the name, then they will simply let the reservation stand, lose the points, and get their full pay.

Unless another option is presented by the owner, that is how it works, I know I will be proposing a solution if my renter doesn’t want to go, but it will be up to David’s if he wants to accept it on behalf of the renter

If I don't check in, doesn't the owner have the ability to take some of their points back?

If I don't check in, doesn't the owner have the ability to take some of their points back?

All points are lost as of day of check in, In order for the owner to get any points, they’d have to cancel at least day before, and if they do that, they violated the contract with David’s

So, if an owner decides not to allow changes in dates or names, they will not be keeping points

All points are lost as of day of check in, In order for the owner to get any points, they’d have to cancel at least day before, and if they do that, they violated the contract with David’s

So, if an owner decides not to allow changes in dates or names, they will not be keeping points

Thank you! Looks like I'll need to contact Davids any way you slice it then, so no reason not to ask.

Thank you! Looks like I'll need to contact Davids any way you slice it then, so no reason not to ask.

Yup! There do seem to be some posts that David’s is offering owners incentives...a few $$ more per point to do it...so, you have a chance thst it may be enough for your owner to do something!

We borrowed points and couldn't go, so we rented out our existing reservation in May. Since it was cancelled, David's gave us the option to return the 70% or let them rent out the points again. In the end, we just returned the money. We didn't lose the points because of the policy change, and we didn't want to deal with renting them out anymore. I did inquire about how they were handling renters who purchased trip insurance that may have covered the cancellation. Here's their response...

'Unfortunately, for the most part Travel Insurance companies haven't been covering COVID19 closures or cancellations as it is a pandemic, which is rarely covered even in 'cancel for any reason' policies. In the instance that the guest has insurance, we are managing this on a case by case basis.'

David’s asked me to use my points for a different family he won’t let the current family rebook with my points.

I asked for the 30% I’m owed when he confirms the new reservation and he said only after they pay and it’s in 2020 not sure what that means and no offer of extra money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter