Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

David’s asked me to use my points for a different family he won’t let the current family rebook with my points.

I asked for the 30% I’m owed when he confirms the new reservation and he said only after they pay and it’s in 2020 not sure what that means and no offer of extra money.

Thanks. Is this for a reservation during the time when the resorts are open? Or was it when closed.

It’s 1 day before they open I actually thought they’d just cancel the one day but I guess the whole reservation will be canceled

I guess only certain people get offered extra for changing
Disappointed I’d have to wait months more for my 30% already waited about 11 months

It’s 1 day before they open I actually thought they’d just cancel the one day but I guess the whole reservation will be canceled

Disappointed I’d have to wait months more for my 30% already waited about 11 months
Dig your heels in and say you will only rent the points if you get paid the final 30% at the time of booking and that you will only re rent under the same terms as the original rental and not accept a new contract. They need our points, otherwise their voucher scheme is worthless!
My re rental was for March 2021, so I will get the extra $1 on check in day.

Do you know for sure that the whole reservation will be cancelled? I’m trying to find out the same thing. Their Checkin date is the 19th but most of the reservation is after the opening. I have had no luck getting through to DVC.

I know this isn't entirely relevant to the thread as it doesn't involve DVC points but I found this article today in our local news about a vacation rental company offering credit vs. a refund and it was an interesting read nonetheless. Just shows that David's isn't the only one out there doing this, but in this case it doesn't look like it will fly!
https://abc11.com/business/lawsuit-...fusing-to-give-refunds-amid-covid-19/6237685/

Do you know for sure that the whole reservation will be cancelled? I’m trying to find out the same thing. Their Checkin date is the 19th but most of the reservation is after the opening. I have had no luck getting through to DVC.

DVC seems to be canceling all so unless an owner modifies it, it will be canceled in its entirety

M
DVC seems to be canceling all so unless an owner modifies it, it will be canceled in its entirety
I know this isn't entirely relevant to the thread as it doesn't involve DVC points but I found this article today in our local news about a vacation rental company offering credit vs. a refund and it was an interesting read nonetheless. Just shows that David's isn't the only one out there doing this, but in this case it doesn't look like it will fly!
https://abc11.com/business/lawsuit-...fusing-to-give-refunds-amid-covid-19/6237685/
But it is relevant in the fact that the issue is with the intermediary and contracts that cannot be executed. He has to give a refund and is hoping renters take the voucher and sign away their rights by accepting the vouchers and new contracts.

Another update;

Travel insurance is going to take a very long time to come to a decision but I can cancel my claim at any time so I started the work to begin a charge back. I emailed David's requesting a refund and this is the response I got;

"Thanks so much for reaching out. We certainly understand your concerns.

The world is in an unprecedented situation that no one was prepared for. Although we have a no refund policy, we understand the stress that this situation might have placed on you. While some owners have been eager to help, not many are in the position to issue refunds. Those who have offered points back, may have restrictions on those points that make them less than attractive for future travel.

With the assistance of our legal partners and as a token of our goodwill, we feel that we have come up with a program that gives you time and choices in travel. We are going to replace the points you rented with a Travel Credit in the amount of funds you originally paid. This Travel Credit will enable you to apply it towards another rental at a Disney Vacation Club Resort, or apply it towards other travel venues that we offer such as Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, Regular Disney Resort Bookings and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, subject to the guidelines and conditions of the Travel Credit. As well as the Travel Credit is now valid for 36 months.

While the COVID19 virus was not on the Horizon when you secured your reservation we were clear on our website, Terms and Conditions that you agreed to, as well as our Rental Agreement that you accepted; we have a No Cancellation/No Refund policy.

We have also advised your party to Purchase Trip Insurance.

2sPJCPdA6WO9kPq9Bb9G_SqFmzxvywTamnqYFhkzbB2k2fYTLgfhVXP-kCr6h82xTMkvHESxgk-GrMU5ZClwB3Mebu5fHIw2HYheEaqSNsAePbtmkgApHucKEvK9shdAFQWrS6gr=s0-d-e1-ft

We certainly the frustration with this situation. If you have travel insurance please let us know as we can provide you with documentation for you to make an insurance claim.

If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know. Thank you."

I'm extremely frustrated that they're acting like they're doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. The contract specifically says my funds were in exchange for what my cancelled reservation was. That doesn't exist, so he owes me money, plain and simple. I at least have that I asked for a refund and he declined. I thought about asking about a partial refund and just eating that $3 per point but I doubt he'd even do that. My owner was already in contact with me via email and told me David's already approached her back in May about re-renting her points. I can't wait until this is over, this is just so frustrating all around. Contrary to what they say, this is not what I agreed to.

Another update;

Travel insurance is going to take a very long time to come to a decision but I can cancel my claim at any time so I started the work to begin a charge back. I emailed David's requesting a refund and this is the response I got;

The world is in an unprecedented situation that no one was prepared for. Although we have a no refund policy, we understand the stress that this situation might have placed on you. While some owners have been eager to help, not many are in the position to issue refunds. Those who have offered points back, may have restrictions on those points that make them less than attractive for future travel.

With the assistance of our legal partners and as a token of our goodwill, we feel that we have come up with a program that gives you time and choices in travel. We are going to replace the points you rented with a Travel Credit in the amount of funds you originally paid. This Travel Credit will enable you to apply it towards another rental at a Disney Vacation Club Resort, or apply it towards other travel venues that we offer such as Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, Regular Disney Resort Bookings and Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, subject to the guidelines and conditions of the Travel Credit. As well as the Travel Credit is now valid for 36 months.

While the COVID19 virus was not on the Horizon when you secured your reservation we were clear on our website, Terms and Conditions that you agreed to, as well as our Rental Agreement that you accepted; we have a No Cancellation/No Refund policy.

2sPJCPdA6WO9kPq9Bb9G_SqFmzxvywTamnqYFhkzbB2k2fYTLgfhVXP-kCr6h82xTMkvHESxgk-GrMU5ZClwB3Mebu5fHIw2HYheEaqSNsAePbtmkgApHucKEvK9shdAFQWrS6gr=s0-d-e1-ft

We certainly the frustration with this situation. If you have travel insurance please let us know as we can provide you with documentation for you to make an insurance claim.

I'm extremely frustrated that they're acting like they're doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. The contract specifically says my funds were in exchange for what my cancelled reservation was. That doesn't exist, so he owes me money, plain and simple. I at least have that I asked for a refund and he declined. I thought about asking about a partial refund and just eating that $3 per point but I doubt he'd even do that. My owner was already in contact with me via email and told me David's already approached her back in May about re-renting her points. I can't wait until this is over, this is just so frustrating all around. Contrary to what they say, this is not what I agreed to.
I'm sorry you're in this position--it stinks! I like how he says "I told you to buy travel insurance"! He knows full well that pandemic is probably not covered!

Exactly. I'm lucky I did have travel insurance and I have a situation that actually may apply. I do have a claim out with travel insurance that is just going to take a long time to resolve but I refuse to even acknowledge that to him. It's not the point! At first I felt bad about doing a charge back but the "I told you so" attitude is just too far. It's very difficult not to respond.

Another update;

You’re not wrong. This response from David’s has been going on for months and is the basis for chargeback attempts.

Exactly. I'm lucky I did have travel insurance and I have a situation that actually may apply. I do have a claim out with travel insurance that is just going to take a long time to resolve but I refuse to even acknowledge that to him. It's not the point! At first I felt bad about doing a charge back but the "I told you so" attitude is just too far. It's very difficult not to respond.

There has been one report that the voucher offer was enough for the travel insurance to be denied,

But, we have had mostly successful stories of chargebacks, It is interesting that he failed to mention that money refunded by owners is being kept and not given to renters even when they were in the position to do it,

Good luck.

I always find this kind of thing funny. A quote from the https://abc11.com/business/lawsuit-...fusing-to-give-refunds-amid-covid-19/6237685/ This says volumes about their 'customer service' and fault.

"Dear Guests,

After much consideration, we have decided not to issue cash refunds to guests who had reservations between the dates of 4/4/20 and 5/15/20. We are however offering a dollar for dollar credit towards another stay either this year or next year. Hundreds of guests have already accepted this offer. Dare County's decision to close the road was not something that could not have been anticipated and is neither the fault of our guests or our homeowners. ...

This offer is a change from our long-standing policy and lease agreement, which very clearly states that there are no refunds for access issues. We have never before offered any form of compensation for road closures, which are fairly common occurrences on Hatteras Island. However, because of the unprecedented nature of this event, we wanted to do something to help our guests. This option will only be available until June 19, 2020, so we encourage you to take advantage of it soon.
"

Another update;

You should remind them in your reply that your contract does have refund language in it when it comes to the accommodations not being available on check in day.

Another update;

You’re not wrong. This response from David’s has been going on for months and is the basis for chargeback attempts.
Yup. That appears to be the same form letter they've been sending out for months now.

Another update;

I like how he added that part about his legal partners. You have a unexacutible contract, so the contract is invalid and his no refund policy is null and void. He is hoping you will accept the voucher and not do a chargeback.

I like how he added that part about his legal partners. You have a unexacutible contract, so the contract is invalid and his no refund policy is null and void. He is hoping you will accept the voucher and not do a chargeback.
While I’m pro-chargeback, I’m pretty sure there have been some reports of them failing.

Another update;

Since they appear to be standing by their original rental agreement (albeit only on the renter’s end, lol) I would ask them why not simply offer the voucher under the same terms? Their “token of goodwill” is only extended after you agree to new contract terms; therefore, they are essentially offering nothing in place of the product that was not delivered (I assume your reservation is during resorts’ closure). This is not a case of closure being nobody’s fault so they offer something of similar/same value at a later date; in this case, the new contract substitution substantially diminishes the product replacement’s (voucher) value. Make sure you keep all communication as supporting docs to your chargeback in case your credit card issuer requests it. So far, we have seen Chase customers being successful or at least I have not seen any denials from Chase, I think there was a Citi credit card insurance denial and one chargeback initial denial - I think this was BoA.

While I’m pro-chargeback, I’m pretty sure there have been some reports of them failing.
I think the ones that have failed so far are because they were submitted too early or they failed to inform their CC company that at the time the intermediary didn't have a policy for vouchers as a method of refunds when they signed the contract. His no refunds policy only had to do if the renter defaulted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter