Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Just got my CC dispute resolved in my favor!

Reservation was for 3 days starting on 3/19, The day before resorts closed. Waited for David’s to make things right but didn’t like some of the provisions in his voucher offer.
Filed with Chase Sapphire Reserve about May 10. Did not have to supply any paperwork, just discussed with agent on the phone.

Love my Chase Sapphire card.

Good to hear! It's interested the differing experiences people have with the same credit card/bank (I realize Chase is a huge place, though). They asked em to file the same paperwork twice.

Did you guys see there are a bunch of dedicated reservations for $9 a point?? 😨 I just saw it shared on their Facebook page. Wow. I have to assume that means the number of people who are willing to both travel right now and rent points is really low.

Wow. And on the opposite end of the spectrum, David's (biggest?) competitor has tons of dedicated reservations for rent on their page for $24, $25, $26 per point and up. I saw one today that worked out to be $30 per point! Are people really going to pay that?! Strange times....

Did you guys see there are a bunch of dedicated reservations for $9 a point?? 😨 I just saw it shared on their Facebook page. Wow. I have to assume that means the number of people who are willing to both travel right now and rent points is really low.
RCI has had multiple weeks just sitting in the spacebank in 1BR villas at both OKW and SSR to the end of August. Usually they disappear in a matter of hours.

I just booked five nights in August 2020 at Old Key West 1-BR that ended up being about $360/night after tax. That same reservation would’ve been the equivalent of 156 points @ $11.50/point. It will be difficult to dump some of the dedicated reservations when they are competing with AP discounts.

Won our dispute with Citibank (final decision) this was after initial refund, then David responded, Citi reversed, we argued again, and finally we won. So far bank of America corporate has not sided with us, they tried to claim visa won't let them (lies)- it's not my business card so my husband will need to sort that out if he wants that money back.

Won our dispute with Citibank (final decision) this was after initial refund, then David responded, Citi reversed, we argued again, and finally we won. So far bank of America corporate has not sided with us, they tried to claim visa won't let them (lies)- it's not my business card so my husband will need to sort that out if he wants that money back.
Can I ask what your experience with the second argument was?
We had just a week left to go to keep the temporary chargeback funds awarded on our claim, with Halifax in the UK, but David’s has challenged because apparently a voucher is a suitable alternative to a cash refund by Canadian law.
Halifax have advised me that David’s have not provided appropriate evidence of this however, so have automatically continued the challenge back with my claim, but David’s now get another 45 days to respond...

Last edited:
Can I ask what your experience with the second argument was?
We had just a week left to go with our claim, with Halifax in the UK, but David’s then challenged because apparently a voucher is a suitable alternative to a cash refund by Canadian law.
Halifax have advised me that David’s have not provided appropriate evidence of this however, so have automatically continued with my claim, but David’s now get another 45 days to respond...

So Citibank initially I did online where I just click a few buttons... Goods not received and that's it. David's sent a stock pile of garbage so then they reverse (supposedly many times the merchant doesn't argue so there is no need for further action). I then wrote letter and provided copy of voucher and contract. We were during closed time in April. David's had until July 10 to argue... I'm not sure if they did. Decided as of July 12.

So Citibank initially I did online where I just click a few buttons... Goods not received and that's it. David's sent a stock pile of garbage so then they reverse (supposedly many times the merchant doesn't argue so there is no need for further action). I then wrote letter and provided copy of voucher and contract. We were during closed time in April. David's had until July 10 to argue... I'm not sure if they did. Decided as of July 12.
Thanks for the info.
So you provided evidence that the voucher wasn’t providing the same terms as the original contract? Was that your main challenge back?

Last edited:
I would also like to know what angle you took on the second response. I have the same issue with my Citi card where they automatically sided with me then sided with David's when they provided a rebuttal. I have since responded to that change in the case, but I haven't heard back about a final decision yet. There may still be time for me to add documentation to my case.

I would also like to know what angle you took on the second response. I have the same issue with my Citi card where they automatically sided with me then sided with David's when they provided a rebuttal. I have since responded to that change in the case, but I haven't heard back about a final decision yet. There may still be time for me to add documentation to my case.
I don’t have a horse in this race but I have been following this thread. I do believe most countered with the fact that the original agreement stipulated you were owed a cash refund back not a voucher. Also, the voucher has zero monetary benefits and can be canceled at anytime! Also, if another closure happens, you will also not be compensated further...

I wonder how many of those are “re-rent” reservations.

David’s gets a cancellation, claims parks and resorts are open and doesn’t refund. Tells owner to re-rent for an extra $2.

If they don’t have a match, they list the original reservation for $9 to hopefully make an additional $7/pt. If it doesn’t rent, didn’t cost them anything and they pay the owner. If it rents, they just made an extra $7/pt. Heck, if that’s the case it’s even more profitable considering they normally only make $4-5/pt.

I wonder how many of those are “re-rent” reservations.

David’s gets a cancellation, claims parks and resorts are open and doesn’t refund. Tells owner to re-rent for an extra $2.

If they don’t have a match, they list the original reservation for $9 to hopefully make an additional $7/pt. If it doesn’t rent, didn’t cost them anything and they pay the owner. If it rents, they just made an extra $7/pt. Heck, if that’s the case it’s even more profitable considering they normally only make $4-5/pt.

I mean I laid out the facts... They had until July 10 to respond. I think was like 45-60 days from my documentation.

David’s reached out to us yesterday to see if we would be willing to change the name on a rental that we have made for them in Sept for an additional $2 per point. The email made clear that we would still receive the outstanding 30% of the payment due to us on check in day regardless of whether we made the change or not. I’ve agreed to make the change provided it’s made as an addendum to the original contract and not subject to the new terms and conditions. I haven’t received a reply yet.

Attachments

• 4C95596C-36F4-41FE-89E4-55F067DD67C9.png
    4C95596C-36F4-41FE-89E4-55F067DD67C9.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 27
Is this how he is paying for the voucher system? Using these reservations that were going to expire anyways for all his credits ?

his only payment is 2$ a point and now he has clreared a credit.

Reactions: cm8
I mean not for nothing but David has made hundreds if not $1000+ per rental for thousands of rentals a year for years. I'm betting he has some money. And if giving people $2/point keeps those people as customers moving forward, that's just good for business.

Is this how he is paying for the voucher system? Using these reservations that were going to expire anyways for all his credits ?

his only payment is 2$ a point and now he has clreared a credit.

I believe they are attempting to resell the reservations. However, from what I can see on their webpage, they appear to be selling some reservations for as little as $9 a point. He is therefore not recouping much. September reservations are currently advertised at $18 a point but I imagine this will come down, assuming Disney is still open then and Florida is not back in lockdown. When someone comes to use their voucher in the future that is going to cost David at least $14 a point I would have thought unless the rental market takes a complete nose dive.

I have joined this party late as I am an owner with 2 reservations coming up at Aulani. It is looking like the resort will definitely be closed. I have read David’s new contracts and am not a fan. Hoping to find out from other owners that have been through this what my options are. I don’t need to know what you decided to do, just weighing options. David has not reached out to me as of yet, but I expect something soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter