Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone knows if David's has any capacity for reimbursement since the parks and resorts are now closed? Or rescheduling for a later date?

My parents were paid in full for their trip, but parks and hotels will be closed during their dates.

They emailed Davids and are still awaiting a reply.

Thanks!

Please keep us/me updated. I am in the same boat. We have a trip planned for early May. I also booked for Davids and im curious as to how they will handle this situation.

Thanks!

The contract is pretty clear. Unless there is negligence on the part of the member that causes you not to have a room when you arrive, there is no refund. You are encouraged to get insurance for you trip because there are no refunds in case something happens.

The member can choose to help if they can but they are not obligated to.

I would allow the renter to reschedule up to when the points expire. I have points rented out for the last week in April and the 1st week in may. The points expire on May 31st. Unless the renter can reschedule to use all before May 31st, they are out of luck.

Thanks so much. They did get trip insurance, but apparently it does not cover when parks are unexpectedly closed or pandemics. They assumed they weren't getting anything back or option to reschedule, just checking their options, in case they missed something.

The contract is pretty clear. Unless there is negligence on the part of the member that causes you not to have a room when you arrive, there is no refund. You are encouraged to get insurance for you trip because there are no refunds in case something happens.

I would allow the renter to reschedule up to when the points expire. I have points rented out for the last week in April and the 1st week in may. The points expire on May 31st. Unless the renter can reschedule to use all before May 31st, they are out of luck.
Unless your points were already banked from the previous UY, wouldn't you be willing to have DVC give you back your points and allow you to bank them into the next UY. (I've read they are eliminating the banking deadline at this time unless previously banked.) Therefore this would allow you to be more generous with rescheduling the renter a reservation.

Unless your points were already banked from the previous UY, wouldn't you be willing to have DVC give you back your points and allow you to bank them into the next UY. (I've read they are eliminating the banking deadline at this time unless previously banked.) Therefore this would allow you to be more generous with rescheduling the renter a reservation.

DVC is no longer adjusting banking and borrowing rules. The only rule being waived is the holding rule. That rule mean that points could only be rebooked for reservations 60 days or less,

So, if an owner booked a renter on banked or borrowed points, those points will expire based on the UY of those points. Depending on when that is, would depend how far out a new reservation can be booked.

If the points being returned are current UY points, but the owner is beyond the banking deadline, those points will now also expire at the end of the UY.

DVC is no longer adjusting banking and borrowing rules. The only rule being waived is the holding rule. That rule mean that points could only be rebooked for reservations 60 days or less,

So, if an owner booked a renter on banked or borrowed points, those points will expire based on the UY of those points. Depending on when that is, would depend how far out a new reservation can be booked.

If the points being returned are current UY points, but the owner is beyond the banking deadline, those points will now also expire at the end of the UY.
That means the renter is going to have to be very flexible in rescheduling their trip.

That means the renter is going to have to be very flexible in rescheduling their trip.

Yes, and in some cases, the renter may not even have that option if the points expire end of March or May because nothing expires end oF April with no May UY (and that statement is for renters who may not know there is no May UY)

This were we are at with our renters. Rental middle of May and my points expire on the 31st.

I can't imagine that even half the renters can be accommodated, since the next nine months include fall frenzy, owners will have points expiring, and the renters themselves may not have the flexibility to go when rooms are available.

Just wondering if anyone knows if David's has any capacity for reimbursement since the parks and resorts are now closed? Or rescheduling for a later date?

My parents were paid in full for their trip, but parks and hotels will be closed during their dates.

They emailed Davids and are still awaiting a reply.

Thanks!
Did they pay by credit card? If so, they should be able to dispute the charge and get a full refund to their card.

I can't imagine that even half the renters can be accommodated, since the next nine months include fall frenzy, owners will have points expiring, and the renters themselves may not have the flexibility to go when rooms are available.

I wonder what the likelihood is of Disney extending point expiration for the length of time the parks& resorts are closed?

I wonder what the likelihood is of Disney extending point expiration for the length of time the parks& resorts are closed?

They currently are not, I think given the nature of the points based system, and not knowing how long this will last, they are holding to all policies except holding because it could overload the system if this goes beyond the 2 weeks,,,,which most likely will.

They currently are not, I think given the nature of the points based system, and not knowing how long this will last, they are holding to all policies except holding because it could overload the system if this goes beyond the 2 weeks,,,,which most likely will.
It seems like they should offer members something right? Especially if the closure ends up to be a substantial amount of time. Is there a clause in their contract that covers long term closures? Just seems like the right thing to do to offer some sort of coverage after this is all done....at least for PR sake

It seems like they should offer members something right? Especially if the closure ends up to be a substantial amount of time. Is there a clause in their contract that covers long term closures? Just seems like the right thing to do to offer some sort of coverage after this is all done....at least for PR sake

We are owners of the resorts, so really, anything done would have to be in line with timeshare laws,

Our POS states the rules and I don’t remember specific regarding this, other than if a resort is destroyed and can’t be rebuilt, the insurance payout would be divided between all the owners,

There is a clause that says they can suspend banking and borrowing of points if there was a need, So, if this lasts long, thst could be a measure down the road,

The thing is that the system can t be overloaded with points and my own opinion is this is why they realized they can’t make exceptions to the banking and borrowing rules,...although they did last week for a few days and quickly reversed it yesterday.

Personally, I just Think there are many members who are going to suffer through this and lose points.

We are owners of the resorts, so really, anything done would have to be in line with timeshare laws,

Our POS states the rules and I don’t remember specific regarding this, other than if a resort is destroyed and can’t be rebuilt, the insurance payout would be divided between all the owners,

There is a clause that says they can suspend banking and borrowing of points if there was a need, So, if this lasts long, thst could be a measure down the road,

The thing is that the system can t be overloaded with points and my own opinion is this is why they realized they can’t make exceptions to the banking and borrowing rules,...although they did last week for a few days and quickly reversed it yesterday.

Personally, I just Think there are many members who are going to suffer through this and lose points.

That's too bad :( I mean, obviously this is not Disney's fault, but it's too bad there's not much they can do.

That's too bad :( I mean, obviously this is not Disney's fault, but it's too bad there's not much they can do.

I think the hard part of understanding this all is that DVC is not really Disney. Yes, they manage it for us, but it isn't the same as what we think of as Disney. Everything that goes on with DVC...discounts, etc...are negotiated on behalf of members with Disney Parks and Resorts (or whatever division).

Now, that is not to say that maybe they could not try to arrange some type of additional perks or discounts with those divisions to soften the blow, but again, given how much those areas will lose, I wouldn't get my own hopes up that we are going to come out of this as members, as a whole, unscathed.

They could extend our contracts for whatever amount of time they are closed down.I see this as much longer than 2-3 weeks probably more like 2-3 months.Say you own OKW or BWV and your contract ends 1/31/2042 they could extend it to say 3/31/2042 and make everyone happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!