Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Not directed at you, but I don’t understand why he is allowing renters to back out during non-closure periods. This is not smart; owners use a broker to avoid the “I can’t go for X reason.”

I think he is trying to keep renters happy and figures he can convince owners, given what is happening in hopes they have no idea how things have gone so far.

I think it’s a money grab and he’s trying to gain some goodwill doing it but plain and simple it’s a money grab fir his house of cards
Bottom line it ties up your 30% for all of eternity but if you accept the fact that you may never get it - no harm - the issues come with you the Owner having to book new people again and God forbid this happens again because per David’s I’m rebooking under the terms of my original contract NOT the new contract language so if we have another closure I’m not rebooking a third time because by then my points will be toast !!

I'm an owner renting my points through Davids. Was contacted today that the renter doesnt want to take the trip in November due to COVID. Offered me $2 additional per point if I agree to let him change the name on the reservation, but no mention of a new contract with new terms? I'm concerned about a 2nd outbreak and the new person wanting to cancel. With that said, i've read some of this thread and its opened my eyes to how difficult it must be for the renter as well. I'm trying to decide between just taking the points back or changing the name. Any pros / cons? I'm open to refunding the cash to Davids, but wont be using the points either so i'll have to find another place to rent them for me...ugh...

Anyone else get the $2 offer? Thoughts as to why he is doing this?

I'm an owner renting my points through Davids. Was contacted today that the renter doesnt want to take the trip in November due to COVID. Offered me $2 additional per point if I agree to let him change the name on the reservation, but no mention of a new contract with new terms? I'm concerned about a 2nd outbreak and the new person wanting to cancel. With that said, i've read some of this thread and its opened my eyes to how difficult it must be for the renter as well. I'm trying to decide between just taking the points back or changing the name. Any pros / cons? I'm open to refunding the cash to Davids, but wont be using the points either so i'll have to find another place to rent them for me...ugh...

Go for it - you just make more money for a call to Member Services. From your standpoint as an owner, it should not matter which renter gets to enjoy your timeshare.

If its under a new contract I wouldn't... if you can keep the same contract and really just change the name, sure. I also would lean towards not refunding the money to David's. The renter is still going to get a voucher, not a refund.

I'm wondering if he is really finding that many renters to swap in all of a sudden... I'd love to offload my reservation (but not for a voucher so I'm still waffling).

I think it’s a money grab and he’s trying to gain some goodwill doing it but plain and simple it’s a money grab fir his house of cards
Bottom line it ties up your 30% for all of eternity but if you accept the fact that you may never get it - no harm - the issues come with you the Owner having to book new people again and God forbid this happens again because per David’s I’m rebooking under the terms of my original contract NOT the new contract language so if we have another closure I’m not rebooking a third time because by then my points will be toast !!

The $2 offer was the one I received as well. I replied I would rebook for a new family, but because I have heard he is not paying Owners I'd need the 30% plus the $2/point upon confirmation of reservation AND original contract terms would apply. My points expire in November for a September reservation. I have not heard back.

I’m sure I read in a previous post that David had offered some renters the ability to rebook for an additional $3 per point. There was some discussion as to whether he would offer any part of this to the owners.

Go for it - you just make more money for a call to Member Services. From your standpoint as an owner, it should not matter which renter gets to enjoy your timeshare.

I would add that any owner willing should get it in writing that if the resort closes again for any reason, they will not be held responsible to refund money as new contracts say...if that is something that matters.

Wow, finally made it through all 197 pages! Thank you to all of you who contributed your information to this thread regarding this debacle. I am an owner who rented points out through David's. We have done it before and have always had a good experience- quick and easy. This situation is disappointing because if I do return the $$, the renters do not get the cash and I don't think that is right. Plus, the reservation I made starts before the reopening and ends after the reopening. So the resort will be open during most of the renter's stay. I don't know if I will get all my points back, or some of the points back, so I'm going to wait and see what DVC does. The reservation is still active and has not been cancelled by DVC even though the check in date is less than two weeks away.

I tell you what though, I will not ever rent out points under this new contract or probably any other contract again. It's bad enough that David's is keeping 100% of the renter's money even if I return the 70%, but then the new contract opens me up to losing money and points in a similar situation? They clearly do not think too highly of us owners.

On the bright side, I guess I have a lot more DVC vacations in my future!

Plus, the reservation I made starts before the reopening and ends after the reopening. So the resort will be open during most of the renter's stay. I don't know if I will get all my points back, or some of the points back, so I'm going to wait and see what DVC does. The reservation is still active and has not been cancelled by DVC even though the check in date is less than two weeks away.

I am also waiting to see how the reservations around the opening period will be handled. I rented out my points through David's for a stay that occurs entirely when the resorts are open, but only includes a couple days of the parks being opened. I am curious if the renters will have the option to cancel for a voucher through Davids, and if they do, will my points have an extended expiration. If not, the points will expire July 31. All the DVC documention just mentions points being extended through the end of the closure, but they don't specify if that means closure of the resorts or parks.

I am also waiting to see how the reservations around the opening period will be handled. I rented out my points through David's for a stay that occurs entirely when the resorts are open, but only includes a couple days of the parks being opened. I am curious if the renters will have the option to cancel for a voucher through Davids, and if they do, will my points have an extended expiration. If not, the points will expire July 31. All the DVC documention just mentions points being extended through the end of the closure, but they don't specify if that means closure of the resorts or parks.

Closure of parks. If resorts are open, then other then the return of borrowed points,,,which can change at any time...no other exceptions apply.

I didn't see a discussion anywhere about other DVC rental companies' practices (if I missed it, will someone please direct me?), but we rented through a different company that says as long as the hotel itself is open, we either keep the reservation or lose all our money. I would much rather take a voucher (as questionable as David's longevity may be) than lose $5,000. With a higher risk person in our party and a child with disabilities who will not wear a mask, I don't see any other option. Wondering if there is any point in pushing the issue. If anyone has advice, I would love to chat with you.

I didn't see a discussion anywhere about other DVC rental companies' practices (if I missed it, will someone please direct me?), but we rented through a different company that says as long as the hotel itself is open, we either keep the reservation or lose all our money. I would much rather take a voucher (as questionable as David's longevity may be) than lose $5,000. With a higher risk person in our party and a child with disabilities who will not wear a mask, I don't see any other option. Wondering if there is any point in pushing the issue. If anyone has advice, I would love to chat with you.
You still have a few things to try:
1) Ask to reschedule the reservation at a later time.
2) Ask for a guest name change and rent the reservation privately.
3) Ask if it is possible to cancel altogether and get a 50% refund.

Did you buy the points protection policy?

Did you buy the points protection policy?

No, because at the time the only reasons we would conceivably need to cancel would have been sickness, death in family, weather...all things that are covered by our existing travel insurance. Never imagined there would be a pandemic and we would have no guarantee of even getting into the parks (half of our party doesn't have tickets yet). Lesson learned, obviously!

I've read a lot on this and in my opinion there are many other companies that aren't doing as much for renters as David's. It doesn't hurt to ask though.

As an owner, I would certainly change the names on a reservation to help the renter recover some money. And if a broker pays $2 per point to do so, within the framework of the existing contract, would be even happy to do it.

I think it’s $50 they offer if The lead guest changes under the points protection plan. However, as I read the agreement, it appearsto also require the member to add or delete guests from the reservation, other than the lead guest, without additional compensation

Thank you - it is. Maybe I underestimate what is involved in changing the name on the reservation, but it seems like a small thing for an owner to do to help someone in this unprecedented situation. I can understand refusing to reschedule or cancel if the owner's points are about to expire, but changing names seems minor in the grand scheme of things. I'm the lead guest, so good to know that we may be able to change other guests' names if we go (since half of our party almost definitely can't go unless the virus miraculously disappears before September).

I think it would normally be pretty easy to change the lead guest’s name. You would simply call member services to do this (I don’t believe the lead guest’s name can be changed online). However, at the moment it’s really hard to get through to Member Services on the phone. I got the engaged tone 20+ times when I tried and when i did get through I was told there was a wait time of 70 mins to speak to someone. I gave up and sent an email. Five days later I’ve yet to receive a reply to that. So, it can be a bit tricky at the moment to make those sorts of changes. Hopefully things will settle down soon. It’s certainly a change I would make for any of my renters if requested, provided I could actually get through.

If the resort is open, it is David's position that the contract is valid. If the renter chooses not to go, they lose everything. Recently, he started offering a "I'll try to re-rent the reservation" scheme for his customers, who would pay $3 per point if successful (i.e., they get a voucher for their full reservation amount less $3 per point). If unsuccessful, they lose everything. I see it as unlikely that David's would be able to successfully re-rent the reservation when only part of the reservation includes times when the parks are open, as well as because it is clearly in the next few weeks (too short a window for most people).

In your case, with points about to expire, and DVC unlikely to "extend" those points when the reservation is for a time when the resort is open, you will likely lose them.

Regardless of what happens with the renter, your points are toast, so you should be paid the remainder of the rental price (i.e., the 30% withheld until check-in day). There are reports that David's is withholding this fee from some owners, and others he has stated that he would only pay it if they agree to re-rent the points. These positions are in direct conflict with the contract he signed with the owner, yet he believes he can get away with it so he's doing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!