Daytona

WeLovePluto

Mouseketeer
I’m still amazed after watching the race last night that Ryan Newman survived. The improvements in car/track safety are amazing.

I don’t know what the fix for Daytona/Talladega racing is though. Less engine restriction is too dangerous and more engine restriction probably just keeps the field bunched up more.

and I’m pretty sure that not racing at those tracks isn’t a real option.

We were amazed too, that he survived--and that his injuries weren't critical.

I agree that not racing those tracks will ever happen. We went to Talladega last fall, for the first time, & are looking forward to going back this year.

Just saw on ESPN he’s awake and talking.

we do both Talladega races every year. For the most part, I enjoy the camping more than the racing. The races have been more entertaining the last few years than they had been for a while. I suspect we may see a lot of single file driving early at talladega. Though that doesn’t solve the problem because they will race when it gets to the end.

I'm only a part-time NASCAR fan and I definitely prefer the longer track races including Talladega and Daytona versus the short tracks (constant left turns). But they have become almost unwatchable until the last pit stop and the remaining laps. Somebody ALWAYS takes a chance or get tagged on their corner and it's wreck-clean up-restart sometimes over (and over and over). I hope Newman recovers fully.

As an aside, Talladega is about 90 minutes from where I live and I've only been to one race in person (the fall race with the mountains in the background and it was beautiful). But I did a half marathon a few years ago that started on pit row and went half-way around then outside the track and through the parking lots, in through the long interior hallway of the grandstand, and ultimately back to the infield and finished (naturally) at the track Finish Line.

But let me tell you about how steep the track pavement is in Turns 1/2 and 3/4. We jogged on the apron on the inside lane (flat) but it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to run up the steepest part of the curve in your tennis shoes and maintain your balance at the top. I admire the whole physics angle of those super track races.

But the February Daytona race is the first sign of spring in my mind.

Bama Ed

Back in the day, we had my BILs hybrid camper that we would take to Talladega for the races. The usual plan, to keep grey tank from filling was to "crack" the valve at night and let it drip. I'll never forget one night BIL went outside to perform this action and came back inside. Made it known to everyone that he was unable to do so.

The reason being that when he went around back of camper he found 3 sets of legs sticking out from under the camper. Apparently some guys who had no camper to stay in for the night and didn't want to leave had collectively (and drunkenly) decided to sleep the night under our camper.

As a racer and healthcare provider, that was one of the most horrific impacts I could imagine. Upside down, T-bone right into the drivers window. The cage deformed horribly right next to the driver. I still haven't heard the extent of his injuries. I would imagine pelvis, spine, rib and likely shoulder, leg fractures.

I am also amazed he is talking and not sedated on a ventilator with a massive head injury. Almost all the safety equipment in the car is made for front/rear impacts up to about a 30 degree angle. Side impacts are very hard to protect, especially into the driver's door where you sit the closest. This is a huge testament to the Lajoie and Butler Built racing seats most of the NASCAR guys use. They are custom made for each driver and take "halo" seats to the extreme. It certainly did its job, even upside down.

Here's a pic of the halo seats we ran in our road race cars.
omp-ha-798-n_od_xl.jpg

Here's a Lajoie NASCAR seat. This is a starting point and then attachments are added for driver preference.

20190621_101927_resized-600x800.jpg

j

As a racer and healthcare provider, that was one of the most horrific impacts I could imagine. Upside down, T-bone right into the drivers window. The cage deformed horribly right next to the driver. I still haven't heard the extent of his injuries. I would imagine pelvis, spine, rib and likely shoulder, leg fractures.

And he was released from the hospital today and walked out, unbelievable!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!