• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DC, are the discounts worth it?

Mikeyboy

Earning My Ears
I hear mixed things about the DC. A couple of testimonials might sway me. How much can you save off the rack rates at the hotels and how far can you book these rates. I'm thinking of getting APs, would the savings be better with the AP or the DC. Come on all my fellow bargain hunters please advise me!! ;)

Well lets see
The DC will give you 10-20% off the resorts. They are out already for 2002.

The AP rates will usually give you 40% off the resorts but they don't announce them until 1-3 months before. They usually have them for Jan - mid Feb and they don't yet for Jan-Feb 2002. But I think it's because of the winter getaway rates. You are not guranteed AP rates. If you are going for at least 8 days within a year then the AP is the way to go.

You can also get 10% off car rentals with the DC at National along with coupon offers for the year.

You get 10% off purchases at the Disney store.

But if you get the 40% discount then the break even point would conceivably be reduced to much less than 8 days right? The whole thing is such a crap shoot, I don't what to think.

Yes you are right.

The only thing is that the 40% off is not guaranteed. You can reserve your room, pay the deposit and then see if the AP rates will be out for the time you are going. If not then you purchase the DC card and at least get that discount. Also if you have a AAA card the discounts are the same as DC on rooms.

Also take a look on the Resort Boards or post there. There are a lot of posts about this.

I plan to go off peak in September. Any Idea how likely it would be that there will be AP discounted rooms?

If you are getting AP's the paying for DC is definately worth it. We bought PAP's for a family of 4 and saved $900.00 using the DC discount. The AP discounts I have received have always been much better than the DC discounts, but it just depends on what is available when you want to go.

I can't even imagine how much the DC card has saved me.
I joined when it first began and saved hundreds on our travel package right away. It didn't help much in WDW, but some. We did use the discount on our Keys to the Kingdom tour.
We also went to DL/DCA in May. The DC discount is much more common there. Saved another bundle. (pins, sweatshirts, ect)
I have saved LOTS of $ at TDS. Esp with the 100 Years pin series.
Then we recently bought AP's. We got a DC discount off the cost of the AP's -- which in turn saved us another $100 on our ASMo ressies -- just by going from the AAA rate to the AP rate.
It paid for itself plus some the first day I had it! I paid to join, but right away got the WDTC discount and $50 Disney Dollars to boot.
No complaints here!
:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter