DCA Food & Wine 2020 Festival Superthread - Read First Post for Updates - Updated with Full Menus

I purosely booked March for this F & W Festival. Hoping I get to experience ROTR too. I did SWGE in WDW during the Passholder Preview in August but my AP expired for WDW back in October so no current plans to go back so far this year. Still trying to decide if I want to just get a 5 day hopper or try for the Flex AP since I arrive fairly early on 3/11 & depart late on 3/18.

Events are live folks! Cost this year for beverage events is $25/person.

Reminds me to review what I did last year so here goes:

Skywalker: highly recommend Skywalker Vineyards. Very interesting, great wine. Their wine is expensive and hard to get hold of and excellent- that was my favorite and I would pay $25/person to do that one again in a heartbeat.

MacMurry: very good The daughter ran the seminar and was very interesting, wine was pretty good. Wouldn't repeat it but would recommend it.

Disney Sommelier "bubbles": horrible The "sommelier" was a CM from their PR division who literally got tasked with it last minute and READ FROM GOOGLE ON HOW SPARKLING WINE IS MADE. The sparkling wines were not even that good or interesting and she did not know jack about the topic at hand. I can read from Google on my own for heaven's sake!! I won't touch a "disney sommelier" event at Disneyland with a 10ft pole, there was no reason that person should have been tasked with that event. Disneyland has a deep bench of actual sommeliers who could have handled a last minute presentation on sparkling wine.

Blinking Owl Distillery: bad Not horrible but definitely bad. We took a gamble as all we knew was the name of the company and they selected gin for a gin and tonic. Not because it was interesting or they wanted to talk about the various things you can do with gin and tonics- but because it was clear and therefore great for Instagram. They kept wanting people take pictures of their drinks and hashtag them on Instagram with their distillery- I get companies asking people to tag them if they Insta- but they were shoving it down our throats. I felt like I was being used as a sales pitch, not attending a seminar I literally paid cash for. The Disney mixology set up itself was pretty cool, if I was interested in the liquor or company I would do one again- just not that company's.

So I'm totally underwhelmed by the offerings. No details on the free(?), no food samples offered culinary events other than there is one geared toward families. No details about the other culinary options. Still no food booth menus. Looks like I can pick from 2 wineries, Trader Sam's & Alma de Agave(Tequila?) for Mixology or some craft beer I've never heard of. Is the Culinary Tour even worth it? I think I should have scheduled my trip for a week later although from what I've read there would be bigger crowds due to spring break. It would have been nice if they had varied the Mixology events headed by their in house teams over the weekends rather than offering the same ones each day for the entire weekend.

What do folk know about the Karl Strauss Brewing company?
Has anyone been to a beer seminar before, is it usually good value?

So I'm totally underwhelmed by the offerings. No details on the free(?), no food samples offered culinary events other than there is one geared toward families. No details about the other culinary options. Still no food booth menus. Looks like I can pick from 2 wineries, Trader Sam's & Alma de Agave(Tequila?) for Mixology or some craft beer I've never heard of. Is the Culinary Tour even worth it? I think I should have scheduled my trip for a week later although from what I've read there would be bigger crowds due to spring break. It would have been nice if they had varied the Mixology events headed by their in house teams over the weekends rather than offering the same ones each day for the entire weekend.
I agree I wish they’d mixed the in house Mixology events. I’d try one but I’m not interested in what they’re offering when I’m there. Kinda sad to see the same 2 things offered 3 days in a row. $25 to spend elsewhere I guess!

I think the Culinary Tour is new this year?...

Considering what I've paid for the wonderful Tequila, Morroccan, French & Italian Lunches @ WDW I don't think I'll be shelling out $99 for the Culinary Adventure Tour. Maybe D23 will offer something while I'm there but probably not.

I would expect the Trader Sam's mixology classes to be the first to sell out for anyone wanting to start booking now.

The brief description says “rum.” So probably making one of their rum-based cocktails.
Where did you find actual descriptions for the seminars? All I get is the third party booking site with names like Trader Sam's or Lamplight Inn listed next to times.

Never mind, I found it on the actual page for purchasing the tickets.

Last edited:
Would appreciate thoughts on the Culinary Tour. Also, does anyone know if there are a DVC discounts?

FYI if anyone gets discounts for paying via Apple Pay the company running tickets takes Apple Pay as a payment option. (I have an Altitude Reserve that gets 3% back on mobile payments so I used that.)

I note for that seminar bookings :
  • "Once booked, there are no cancellations, exchanges or refunds."
If something happens and I can't attend, can I just give my ticket to someone else?

Has anyone done the Jr Chef show? My son (6) is into cooking, but not sure it would be worth it on our upcoming trip

Has anyone done the Jr Chef show? My son (6) is into cooking, but not sure it would be worth it on our upcoming trip
Yeah. It’s cute - it’s not really “cooking,” but they make cookies and everyone gets a (prepackaged) one to take at the end. Basically they group the kids around tables and each kid gets to add an ingredient, and then they all get to stir. Goofy comes. They get a hat. It’s fun.

Yeah. It’s cute - it’s not really “cooking,” but they make cookies and everyone gets a (prepackaged) one to take at the end. Basically they group the kids around tables and each kid gets to add an ingredient, and then they all get to stir. Goofy comes. They get a hat. It’s fun.
I think I'll add it to the list :)

One more question - do we preregister or just show up?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter