DCL not ready to return to Tortola yet...

People calling DCL regarding July have been assured they are going to Tortola. I know several who will be disappointed if it is changed again so late in the game.

We loved Tortola when we went there in 2016 but were pleasantly surprised with St. Maarten this time around last week, beautiful island and seems like it would be much more safe. Tortola was the most rustic and primitive of the islands I've been to down there and that was before the hurricane... I know they need the income back but not sure they have the infrastructure to support assurance of the safety of the passengers

Reading between the lines, expect an announcement next week that they won't be in Tortola in July.

We loved Tortola when we went there in 2016 but were pleasantly surprised with St. Maarten this time around last week, beautiful island and seems like it would be much more safe. Tortola was the most rustic and primitive of the islands I've been to down there and that was before the hurricane... I know they need the income back but not sure they have the infrastructure to support assurance of the safety of the passengers
What did you like about Tortola? What excursions did you do? We are cruising in late September and feel that the island should be open by then however we are not really sure on the excursions.

What did you like about Tortola? What excursions did you do? We are cruising in late September and feel that the island should be open by then however we are not really sure on the excursions.
We went to Fort Recovery and hung out on their beach all day. The reason we did this was because we prefer empty beaches and we really wanted to check out Soper's Hole Marina so we tried to stay on the West End. Most of the locals will say that this side of the island is not where their nicest beaches are and it's much more of a rustic feel than perhaps the other side of the island where more of the development will be. Since Irma truly destroyed Soper's Hole Marina (just heartbreaking photos), we were going to go to Cane Garden Bay this time around instead (one of the best beaches on Tortola) or do the Baths at Virga Gorda. Our cruise was moved though to St. Maarten so we did a private day pass at Azure Hotel in Simpson Bay and it was a fantastic day and beach.

We went to Fort Recovery and hung out on their beach all day. The reason we did this was because we prefer empty beaches and we really wanted to check out Soper's Hole Marina so we tried to stay on the West End. Most of the locals will say that this side of the island is not where their nicest beaches are and it's much more of a rustic feel than perhaps the other side of the island where more of the development will be. Since Irma truly destroyed Soper's Hole Marina (just heartbreaking photos), we were going to go to Cane Garden Bay this time around instead (one of the best beaches on Tortola) or do the Baths at Virga Gorda. Our cruise was moved though to St. Maarten so we did a private day pass at Azure Hotel in Simpson Bay and it was a fantastic day and beach.
Thanks for your reply. We live here in South Florida so I don't need to go to a beach everywhere we dock. Castaway Cay is just fine. I would be looking for local restaurants, shopping and sightseeing rather than beaches. If you know of any of those on Tortola, let me know.

Thanks for your reply. We live here in South Florida so I don't need to go to a beach everywhere we dock. Castaway Cay is just fine. I would be looking for local restaurants, shopping and sightseeing rather than beaches. If you know of any of those on Tortola, let me know.
For Tortola going to The Baths on Virgin Gorda is a must at least once. Truly something to see. Shopping in Tortola (if everything rebuilds) Is say go to Pusser’s Rum Outpost. They also have a small cafe there. There was like a little shopping village across from Pusser’s. Then there was the shopping inside the port area. We didn’t have a whole lot of time after our charter so we ran into Pusser’s for a quick peek.

I think one of the Pusser's definitely being rebuilt, if not almost rebuilt but the one we went to in Soper's Hole was completely destroyed, along with the marina so not sure if that one will ever be built back (dependent on whether the marina builds back up)

Pusser’s in Road Town looks like it’s rebuilt. Recent Trip Advisor post:

A84135A4-40B8-46A4-9227-9D28BE6AA20C.jpeg

Yes, Pussers has I believe already reopened in Road Town. The other locations, not so much. Road Town had an expansive gift shop. don't know if they reopened that.

I spent a whole port call sitting at their bar once.

Can you do 1/2 day at the Baths and 1/2 day at Pussers?

Depends. Every DCL port call I have experienced at Tortola (I think there's been 3) have had an all-aboard time of something like 1:30 or 2. You can walk to Pussers Road Town from the ship if that helps but if the trip to the Baths takes all the onshore time you have, you won't make it.

Depends. Every DCL port call I have experienced at Tortola (I think there's been 3) have had an all-aboard time of something like 1:30 or 2. You can walk to Pussers Road Town from the ship if that helps but if the trip to the Baths takes all the onshore time you have, you won't make it.

Doesn't look like we're going to Tortola (we would have arrived there on August 28), however we were scheduled to be there 7:30am - 5:45pm.

Doesn't look like we're going to Tortola (we would have arrived there on August 28), however we were scheduled to be there 7:30am - 5:45pm.
Did you receive an email from DCL regarding this? I spoke to them today and they said they that it might be another couple months until they know.

We are suppose to go in October, but I rather go to St. Martin than a place that is rushing and still not ready to take tourist. Plus there is still a Hurricane season to go through. They could loose progress they made this year. Trust me I hope that it doesn't happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!