DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Afternoon gents!
Hi there DisDads, I just got back from WDW last night and brought a float full of princesses to help brighten your Monday morning:

View attachment 370318

It was as magical a trip as ever, just a 4-nighter but we got to hit all 4 parks. It started with some serious pixie dust as we got upgraded from our Magical Holidays room offer to a 5th-floor Club level room at Grand Floridian(!!!), then we got in 2 FOP FP's on the same day, and then the projected monsoon held off for Mickey's Very Merry party on Friday night. Now just trying to stave off "the-sadness" as GIAGD put it a few weeks back, but it helps to have Christmas right around the corner (and another trip "home" in 75 days).
Thanks for the pic and good to hear you had a great time!
And today, to wish us all a Merry Christmas, Governor Thanos called a special legislative session. He's going after the retirement system again.
Sorry you have to keep dealing with this garbage
I just worked 32 of the last 48 hours. Not feeling blessed yet
Pixie dust sent your way, hope you get a decent break soon
That it may.

On another note, got a call on the way home that I never wanted to get, "Dad, I'm in the ditch."

DS hit a slippery spot and ended up just over the lip of the ditch hung up on the small snow bank. This is one time I won't complain about the early snow we've had. Without that small back of hard pack he may have ended up in a marsh. He wasn't hurt and only some cosmetic damage to the Tuscon so all is good.
Whew, glad no injuries or significant damages.
'Morning all...
Things are quiet down this way.
Maybe too quite.
Quite can be a good thing, looking forward to bit of that myself
Thanks for all the Well Wishes, feeling a lot better, it's pretty much a chest cold now.
Sorry to hear about being sick but glad to hear you're on the recovery side of things

DS hit a slippery spot and ended up just over the lip of the ditch hung up on the small snow bank. This is one time I won't complain about the early snow we've had. Without that small back of hard pack he may have ended up in a marsh. He wasn't hurt and only some cosmetic damage to the Tuscon so all is good.
Sorry to hear it happened at all, but glad it wasn't more serious. I haven't had that call yet, but I am sure it is coming one day.

Days off... finally.
And work called. “I know you’re on vacation, but can you work Wednesday ev...”

NO!

<click>

Felt great

source.gif

Guys, say a prayer for me please.

Woke up this morning and my foot was hurting (fine when I went to bed last night)

It felt like a fracture almost, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I could do that while sleeping.

It got progressively worse through the day and one of the guys at work mentioned gout. When I came home from work, I've been in bed the whole time (except necessary trips to the bathroom). It hurts like the dickens. I don't want to go to the Dr if I can avoid it since I have new insurance with new job and will have to meet the deductable before they pay anything.

Hoping and praying it feels better in the morning. G'night

Not quite sure as there are different articles, but one reports that the KY congress adjourned the special session and will debate the issue in regular session on January 7 with the newly elected officials. That was an easy $130,000 down the drain.

The pension system is a mess. Starting in 2016 there were more people drawing from the system than paying in. https://www.kentucky.com/news/politics-government/article177157361.html. Eventually they will have to just say "Sorry, we can't pay you what we promised". I'm in a 401(K) that isn't doing much so I will be working until I am dead or unable to work anymore. Here in the heart of Appalachia things are ugly and getting worse. People finally realize coal isn't coming back so rather than wait around for an upswing in production like they used to do they are migrating out. At the next official census we should be at about the same population here that it was in 1890. Plenty of places for sale cheap if you need a place to hide out when the excrement hits the fan.

Good to hear about your daughter playing bb as well. Does she enjoy it? My school hasn't filed any reports or had enough games yet.

As for the pension, yes, there are fewer paying into it than drawing benefits. Why? Did government get smaller? No. They changed the system for new hires and have been hiring more contract workers. Also, looking thru the history, if KY had just invested the money in an S&P Index fund at 7% annual return over the last 50 years, then there would have been more than enough money. However, they tripled the amount recommended to be put into hedge funds, that then went belly up. But, the placing agent that picked that fund came from that fund, and was paid $5 million from the fund for his services. That was one year. He is now deceased. Now that's a conspiracy. However, the legislature's retirement is solidly funded. Sure, there are less people, but it was managed differently.

I'm surprised at how many Kentuckians are for taking away state employees and teachers retirement. If the government tried to pass a law to tax your 401K 30 years later and take it all away, I imagine people would oppose to that law. Sadly, there is no difference. The Government withheld 7-9% of pay from every paycheck from every employee to go to that retirement account. Now, they don't want to pay out the benefit. Sure, even if they change the system, they haven't considered how to fund the liability, much less future amounts. They could sell the Governor's mansion or state property to fund the account & put the balance back in an S&P Index fund.

Sorry you have to keep dealing with this garbage

Thanks.

Days off... finally.

NO!

<click>

Felt great

Don't answer the phone.

It got progressively worse through the day and one of the guys at work mentioned gout. When I came home from work, I've been in bed the whole time (except necessary trips to the bathroom). It hurts like the dickens. I don't want to go to the Dr if I can avoid it since I have new insurance with new job and will have to meet the deductable before they pay anything.

I've heard that is painful. I hope it gets better.

Last edited:

YESSSSS...

Woke up this morning and my foot was hurting (fine when I went to bed last night)

It felt like a fracture almost, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I could do that while sleeping.

Oh, man. I hope it's just a temporary thing. :hug:

Don't answer the phone.

Good idea.

Best get a doc to look at it, Doc. praying

Morning Gents. Survivor finale Wednesday! I've been watching that show since the beginning and it's one of the few shows I watch regularly every week. It's been a good season. Looking forward to it tonight.

Sorry to hear it Doc. My mom had gout before and it does seem to be painful. Off the top of my head, I can't remember what she had to do to get rid of it. I think she had medication, and maybe new shoes with soft insoles, wearing them in the house as well.
The only thing I can say is that she did get past it, but has to take it a bit easier than usual when it comes to walking and being on her feet.

I experienced that once and it is painful as all heck. Here is the suggestions that I followed:

• Take an anti-inflammatory medication
  • Ice and elevate
  • Drink plenty of fluids (no alcohol or sweet sodas)
  • Relax; stress can aggravate gout

I experienced that once and it is painful as all heck. Here is the suggestions that I followed:

• Take an anti-inflammatory medication
  • Ice and elevate
  • Drink plenty of fluids (no alcohol or sweet sodas)
  • Relax; stress can aggravate gout
I'm holding off on seeing a doctor...new insurance has a deductible and if I go now, will have to pay 100% so no anti-inflammatory for me.

Ice and elevate (check)
Plenty of fluids (check)
Relax. Hmmm, maybe that's my problem because of these idiot underwriters.

I also did lemon juice, cherries and a uric acid pill...those are all supposed to help

It's better today, but still not good

Days off... finally.

NO!

<click>

Felt great
Reminds of a conversation I had with my boss years ago.

We were going to DVC resort at Hilton head. My boss asked if he could call me if there were any issues.

I said I'll be on vacation and either in the ocean or the pool most if the time. Don't think the phone works well in either location and when I get back to the room, I'll either be changing or sleeping.

You can call, but the odds of me answering are going to be slim to none.

Morning Gents. Survivor finale Wednesday! I've been watching that show since the beginning and it's one of the few shows I watch regularly every week. It's been a good season. Looking forward to it tonight.

What??? And here I thought I was the only one that watched.
I've never missed an episode since the first one back in 2000.

I was really hoping Christian would make it to the final, but... he was just too strong for anyone to want to go against.
I wonder if he would've made it if he and Gabby hadn't fallen out.

As for the rest... I'd say Angelina has zero chance of winning.
And either Mike or Nick have the best chance with Alison a dark horse.

Get better, dude.

I said I'll be on vacation and either in the ocean or the pool most if the time. Don't think the phone works well in either location and when I get back to the room, I'll either be changing or sleeping.

::yes::

I used to love being on vacation because I didn't have a phone.

I'm holding off on seeing a doctor...new insurance has a deductible and if I go now, will have to pay 100% so no anti-inflammatory for me.

Ice and elevate (check)
Plenty of fluids (check)

I also did lemon juice, cherries and a uric acid pill...those are all supposed to help

It took a few days for me, luckily it was only the one time.

Days off... finally.

NO!

<click>

Felt great

A victory for the worker! Happens so rarely, it needs to be celebrated.

It got progressively worse through the day and one of the guys at work mentioned gout.

Yuck. Hope you heal quickly, Doc.

I used to love being on vacation because I didn't have a phone.

I like to tell them if I'm so important that I can't disappear for a couple of weeks without everything going to he!!, they need to pay me a lot more.

Good to hear about your daughter playing bb as well. Does she enjoy it? My school hasn't filed any reports or had enough games yet.

As for the pension, yes, there are fewer paying into it than drawing benefits. Why? Did government get smaller? No. They changed the system for new hires and have been hiring more contract workers. Also, looking thru the history, if KY had just invested the money in an S&P Index fund at 7% annual return over the last 50 years, then there would have been more than enough money. However, they tripled the amount recommended to be put into hedge funds, that then went belly up. But, the placing agent that picked that fund came from that fund, and was paid $5 million from the fund for his services. That was one year. He is now deceased. Now that's a conspiracy. However, the legislature's retirement is solidly funded. Sure, there are less people, but it was managed differently.

I'm surprised at how many Kentuckians are for taking away state employees and teachers retirement. If the government tried to pass a law to tax your 401K 30 years later and take it all away, I imagine people would oppose to that law. Sadly, there is no difference. The Government withheld 7-9% of pay from every paycheck from every employee to go to that retirement account. Now, they don't want to pay out the benefit. Sure, even if they change the system, they haven't considered how to fund the liability, much less future amounts. They could sell the Governor's mansion or state property to fund the account & put the balance back in an S&P Index fund.

DD doesn't love it. The team played better last year and they have the same team plus a couple of new players. Last year it was more of a team. This year it is more like a bunch of individuals. Hopefully that will improve with time.

The state is a mess all around. Academia is replacing tenure positions with adjuncts. My position was reclassified when the previous person left but I'm just happy to have a job at this point. Already told the kids to stay out of higher ed and DS is looking into the Air Force. It is going to be interesting times for the ones coming up behind us and probably not in a good way.

DD doesn't love it. The team played better last year and they have the same team plus a couple of new players. Last year it was more of a team. This year it is more like a bunch of individuals. Hopefully that will improve with time.

The state is a mess all around. Academia is replacing tenure positions with adjuncts. My position was reclassified when the previous person left but I'm just happy to have a job at this point. Already told the kids to stay out of higher ed and DS is looking into the Air Force. It is going to be interesting times for the ones coming up behind us and probably not in a good way.
I was in the AF. Best service (IMHO) for many reasons.

Ice and elevate (check)
Plenty of fluids (check)

Hang in there Doc but please don’t wait too long before ya see a Dr

We have a team that thinks they all are all-stars and continuous 1 year coaches, so there's little attempt to change that. Still, mine has made some friends and has learned what's like to be a team - the good & the bad.

As for the state of KY, just like the Federal Government, there are practical solutions. However, the elected officials only seem to be in it for themselves, so there is little hope for a positive outcome that benefits the majority. Sadly, there is a tipping point - not if, but when. I see the negative, so hopefully it will be better than I picture it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter