DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

😕 Oof.. what happened?
She's old (12... old for a Kees), and was having trouble walking. We thought maybe she had a stroke. Vet says it's possible, or vestibular disease. But she's doing better today. (Not 100%… but a lot better). I think because she tried (successfully) to jump on our bed the evening before... twice... that she hurt/strained something.
our two pups (Mickey-Butt, the GSP, and "Small Dog" the Brittany) found a dead raccoon carcass, and thought it would be great fun to roll in it, play with it, and have a tasty snack (of course I was in charge of bathing both dogs yesterday evening.. fun times!).
Oh, man....
He is already doing a lot better this evening.
Good!
It'll be off to the vet in the next few weeks to get them checked for worms/parasites.. I can hear the vet's registers warming up for our credit card as I type this!
Ouch. Cha-ching.

Question, and I ask because I'm ignorant of the process, and anyone can answer this, but are you renting? How does that work? I've looked into it but know nothing else about it. The whole process scares me a bit. To rent points from someone who can just pull them back whenever they want makes me Leary of trying it.
Same here. I've always been curious because my understanding is that you can rent points and stay in a deluxe resort much cheaper than rack rates. But I would definitely have trust issues. I would feel better about going through an agency, but still not 100% guaranteed to work out OK I guess.

Top O the Mornin Dads! Nice night out with DW and Scott and his Mrs, :rotfl2:, last night. Looking forward to some low key days the rest of the week so hopefully things stay low key. Be safe out there.
Happy birthday!

Sorry to hear. We had to take ours to emerg yesterday.
The rest of your tale (or tail) is... :lmao:
Thanks and hope the pooch is doing better today

Same here. I've always been curious because my understanding is that you can rent points and stay in a deluxe resort much cheaper than rack rates. But I would definitely have trust issues. I would feel better about going through an agency, but still not 100% guaranteed to work out OK I guess.

The way it works for the service my parents work with (and I'm happy to post a link if it is allowed):
  1. We (the DVC owners) post a number of points, and active date on their site. In order to do so, we have to sign a contract, stating that we will release the points at whatever dollar amount they are paying. Said contract gives the rental service the ability to come after us for the monetary value of the points, and also would ban us from renting points through them in the future if we don't provide the points when purchased.
  2. The renter puts in a request for points, and if they want the points to be in the 11-month booking window at a specific DVC resort (more expensive) or the 7-month booking window which can be applied to any DVC resort (less expensive, but higher probability that it wont be available at the resort of their choice). At this point the renter puts down a 70% (IIRC) deposit, that is forfeited if they back out.
  3. The DVC owners monitor these requests, and snag one if it fits their parameters (e.g.- they are selling enough points to fill the order, it is the proper resort/timeframe, etc..). The DVC owner then gets their 70% deposit. The remaining 30% is transferred to the owner when the renter checks in on the first day of their trip.
  4. The DVC owner and Renter work together (over anonymous email) to select the dates/resort, and it is up to the DVC owner to make the reservation, and attach the info to the renter's MDE profile.
  5. We all ride off into the sunset, as the renter gets whatever resort they wanted, and the rentee gets that sweet sweet cash to apply to a cruise, other booking, etc.
So overall, it is pretty protective of both parties. People who rent their points, want to be able to rent their points, as it is some very nice money, and don't want to get banned from the service. People who are renting points will forfeit a sizable deposit. We found that by renting points, we could get 2 adjoining family veranda state rooms on a 7-night cruise (off peak) and 2 nights before and 1 night after at OKW, for roughly 2 years worth of their points. Versus going through DVC to book the cruise, 3-years worth of points weren't quite enough (so we had to add a couple grand in cash), and no stay at a DVC resort before/after.

Morning, fellas. Couldn't check in yesterday because I was at an all-day conference. Had to make a presentation to 400 people, and somehow did not soil myself. Even got a few laughs. Thank God that's over!

On the DVC rental question, I've done it twice but both times rented from friends (one from our church, one DIS Dad). So it proved to be a good deal on that front. I've never used a service but I can see why that would be appealing over a stranger. Still, I think a friend would cut you a better price than the services would.

We've been on the flip side of this transaction (my parents are DVC members, and they typically sell points to fund DCL cruises, as it is a much better bang-for-the-buck). We always do it through a service. The service handles contracts, guaranteeing the points, etc. While they take a pretty good chunk (we don't get as much as if we rented out the points on our own, and I'm sure the people buying the points are paying more than if we rented to them direct), they have a structure in place to make it safer for both parties. IMHO, unless you know and trust the person you're renting points from, I'd go with one of those services.

I'd never go through an individual, only an agency.

In other news, Mickey-butt (see my avatar) is one sick pupper today. He wants to lay by me on the couch, but as per Mrs. LT1's rules, he is not allowed.. But those GSP eyes.. Do I stay strong and enforce the rules? Or make sure he's off the couch before Mrs LT1 comes home? :confused:

Update 1: we are now in a stalemate where his back feet are on the floor, and his front feet/chest are laying on the couch.
Update 2: One of the two rear feet have slowly worked their way up on to the couch over the last hour.
Update 3: Fourth foot has now landed.. on the couch. His head is on my lap, he is snoring. I need to pee. No good can come of this.
Update 4: I have now resigned myself to this tragic fate. If anyone can please send help, it would be appreciated.
Final Update: This situation was resolved in a most unexpected way. Mickey-Butt let loose a (very impressive) room clearing gust of wind, waking himself up in the process. Upon sensing his transgression, he quickly hopped off of the couch, and ran into another room. Unfortunately, due to said crop dusting, I am no longer able to remain on the couch, and have had to move to the home office. Also, I used the bathroom. Feeling is just starting to return to my right leg from where his head was resting. There is a reason we call him "the heavy-head dog." The Monday afternoon crisis has been averted.

Sorry to hear Mickey-butt is sick, but this is a funny post.

We own DVC at Boardwalk. I have rented my points, but have never rented points from someone else. I rented points to Carl, one of the Disdads. We talked, messaged over Facebook, I booked it for him, and he sent me a check. Some people use an agency. Some people have contracts drawn up. Still, it is all about enforcement, which is not possible.

As a renter, you are at the mercy of the dvc owner. The owner has to book your reservation and send you confirmation # to load into your MDE. The owner can cancel your reservation at anytime. If you go thru an agency, some require deposits from one or both parties. If the owner cancels the reservation, then the renter gets their deposit back but has no reservation against the owner. If the renter backs out, the owner keeps their points. However, depending on banking window or within 30 days, the points may not be able to be used by the owner, so the could lose them. Sure, you could file a lawsuit, but it's small claims and where does the grieved party file the case or have the other served?

I would rent again to a Disdad, one I know it have met. I wouldn't go thru an agency. But, I rarely have points to rent, so it's only been an option one time.

I bought my dvc contract to stay at the Boardwalk at least once a year thru 2042. I've been able to try most of the other dvc resorts and make two trips a year sometimes.

It's the whole, "The owner can cancel when s/he decides/wants to." that scares me.

We rented three times before buying, but always from friends that we knew we could trust. There is a lot of trust involved, at least for person-to-person rentals. (I'm not really familiar with how brokered rentals work.) I know there have been a bunch of scams involving person-to-person rentals.

There would have to be mega trust involved. I did look into it briefly, and while it sounds like it could work out, the whole issue of having my reservation canceled because someone can scares me. Sure, it probably not happen because the DVC member would most likely be banned from renting through an agency again.

It's Tuesday, who's having tacos?

Wish I am...I have a PB&J for lunch.

Image result for me me me gif

I have rented points from fellow Disdads a number of times and never had any problems, of course I have known these guys for a number of years...

FYI: I think @unclescrooge_0707 is buying a contract.

OMG!!!! I HATE INSURANCE!!!! *breathing heavy* Got a text from my wife saying that apparently Tufts (our insurance provider) doesn't do retroactive. Well, it's not our screw up to begin with, so now I'm calling my lawyer and will conference her in when I call my insurance. They done messed up and screwed with the wrong person.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm a bit calmer now. I felt the need to break something, so I found some stuff that needed to be thrown out, broke them and then tossed them, all part of my job actually. And best part about what I did? What I broke, and tossed, was about $30K worth of product. :teeth: That made it all the more satisfying.

Last edited:
Uh oh.. Mickey-butt still isn't back to 100%, and is giving me those eyes. Not today MB.. not today.

Are any of you DisDads programmers? I've been playing whack-a-mole with a very subtle bug in my code for the past week, and it is driving me up a wall! I am guessing I'm soon to have a grumpy client, so I better find this thing and fix it!

Are any of you DisDads programmers? I've been playing whack-a-mole with a very subtle bug in my code for the past week, and it is driving me up a wall! I am guessing I'm soon to have a grumpy client, so I better find this thing and fix it!

Allegedly, although I'm doing more admin/devops work these days.

Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?

Happy cold and rainy Tuesday. Ugh. But, it's pickleball tonight, so there is something to look forward to.

Still not guaranteed with agency. I know people who have lost reservations. Sure, they got their money, but lost their vacation. And, sometimes you only get flight credits instead of refunds.

If you're buying, then I'm eating.

I'd never go through an individual, only an agency.

It's the whole, "The owner can cancel when s/he decides/wants to." that scares me.

And I'd never do dvc thru an agency. I would go thru one of our Disdads.

OMG!!!! I HATE INSURANCE!!!! *breathing heavy* Got a text from my wife saying that apparently Tufts (our insurance provider) doesn't do retroactive. Well, it's not our screw up to begin with, so now I'm calling my lawyer and will conference her in when I call my insurance. They done messed up and screwed with the wrong person.
Oh, man... and yet...I'm not surprised. Insurance agencies are not hear for you. They're here to make money. Generally, the go to method is to always deny first and hope that's as far as it goes.

Which is ridiculous... But that seems to be the norm.
I'd consider it. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just paranoid about getting screwed.
Get that.
Get to know the folks around here a bit more and you'll get more comfortable with the idea.
What I broke, and tossed, was about $30K worth of product. :teeth: That made it all the more satisfying.
:eek:
Uh oh.. Mickey-butt still isn't back to 100%, and is giving me those eyes. Not today MB.. not today.

I did some... oh, probably before you were born. But... I remember trying to track down tricky bugs.
It was like that when I got here!
I'm not buying soiled Depends! You can keep 'em!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter