DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Right then, an ACTUAL disney question. We are coming back in August. Some of will be at Poly (probably the back part of the trip), what's better Animal Kingdom Lodge or Bay Lake Tower? And if AKL, Kidani or the main part? This is on DVC points.

I've stayed at every wdw DVC resort except GF. My two favorites are BLT & BWV. I like the hotel style more than the resort style. So, you see where my recommendation would be slanted. Since you are now a DVC member, whenever you stay at wdw on points you can access TOTWL at BLT. I've been up there numerous times, and prefer the fireworks there than the Poly Beach. Even though they aren't centered at the castle, you are closer and over the smoke so you can still see everything. The music is pumped into the resort. With BLT, the rooms are smaller, but designed to be space efficient. The theming is amazing, decent community hall, and you can use the pool there and at CR. CR has feature pool and huge round quiet pool. BLT is a short walk to CR where you can catch the monorail, bus, or boat. Plus, you have all the convenient restaurants & bars on the monorail loop. You have access to the fake beach, and can boat over to WL for their really big fake beach if you want. As others mentioned, it is a short walk to MK to go there or bus to other resorts.

We stayed at the Kidani Savannah view. It was really nice, and the animals were right outside. You have Sanaa at Kidani, and everything else at Jambo. Kidani had a fun splash area, water slide, and the pool bar had the coldest Mickey Ice Cream sandwiches anywhere on property. Jambo has the large relaxing pool & restaurants. Jiko was one of our favorite signature dining places, but we don't want to ride a bus over to it. You get a view of the animals at Jambo, and a nice area outside to view them. I would want to try the Jambo side if we did AK again. AK Lodge has the amazing theming as well. The main drawback is that you have to bus everywhere. I struggled with a deluxe DVC resort only having bus transportation. I thought they should have done a ski lift or Gondola system from AKL to AK park first. You will never get the cheap value rooms there as they are gone at 11 months, but you could save some points with standard view.

Good luck with your decision.

CR has feature pool and huge round quiet pool.
Cheers mate. That was my only thing with the CR, the pool seemed really dull. TOTWL looks great we are looking forward to that. does it get really busy?

I think if she does win (which she usually does) we'll stay at Jambo. I completely agree with the Bus thing at AKL. I couldn't believe people would put up with the irregularity of the buses when you are dropping that much coin on a resort.

Happy Friday the 13th. Rain let up and I hope that holds because I want to grill a steak tonight (like rain is going to stop me). Just saw on the news this guy decided to wrap his Lamborghini around a coconut tree. If you haven't seen a coconut palm up close, the trunk is as tough as a cement pillar. Lambo broke in half, two guys taken to the hospital and are still alive. Authorities think speeding was involved. DUH! Coconut tree 1 - Lamborghini 0.

Cubs win!!
That is all.

Well fought game and series and my friend the Nats fan is distraught. Another friend's wife and step-daughter went to the game in Cubs regalia (from Chicago). Needless to say, they had fun. I fell asleep on the couch during the 9th inning so I missed the celebration. Now just beat the Dodgers.

I'm in the same boat after watching my Eagles pull out the win last night.

Saw some of the game during breaks in baseball. Eagles playing well. Does this mean the apocalypse is near?

Friday the 13th is unlucky for me, since this will be our last day at thr beach. We leave tomorrow at whatever time. It is another beautiful day here.

Feel bad for you Bubba. Enjoy the last day and do your best consuming the remaining beer. I have faith in you.

That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. Everyone out. As it's Friday 13th Last one in Raglan Road for Blood Orange Bourbon's has to take Sally home. And she's got Frog's Breath.

Have a conference call ON FRIDAY, AT 2 PM. Idiots. Will be joining you late.

Right then, an ACTUAL disney question. We are coming back in August. Some of will be at Poly (probably the back part of the trip), what's better Animal Kingdom Lodge or Bay Lake Tower? And if AKL, Kidani or the main part? This is on DVC points.

I'll throw my 2 cents in. Depends.

AK: The Pirate Princess is a lover of all creatures and when she was younger, as soon as the door was opened she would run to the veranda to watch the animals. She could spend hours out there. They also have some interesting activities for the kids. Very good and out of the ordinary restaurants are on the property. The pools are much better. Because it is so far away transportation is an issue.

BLT: Convenient. Easy access to the MK and Epcot along with the other monorail resorts. The layout of the hotel is cool with the tower. Pool is kind of boring. MK view rooms are outstanding. Nice sitting out on the veranda in the morning watching the park come alive. Saw Wishes from the room which was cool. Request a higher room if you choose there.

So if you want a fair amount of downtime, AKV is better because of the animals and the pool. If park access is your priority BLT is the choice. Or unless the wife tells you where you are going to stay then either is good.

I'm in the same boat after watching my Eagles pull out the win last night.
Did the Eagles win, or was it just that the Panthers dropped another important game?
It's an important distinction.

(and the correct answer does not work as an indicator for future success)

Traveling to see a considerably better game this weekend.
Well... A considerably better half-time at least; the game is just a bonus.

he only challenge I have today is to finish the remaining beer.
Challenge accepted.

went to the Tower of London on a spur of the moment type thing.
Hope you didn't bring a fork with you.

Show them this post, they will be fine. Enjoy the weekend buddy.
Ummmm... Yeah...
About that...

They weren't impressed.

But I do intend to enjoy the weekend.

We do complex topics? This is not the thread I thought it was.
It happens from time to time.
It's been a while, but it's been done.

And without any bloodshed.
Imagine that.

Coconut tree 1 - Lamborghini 0.
Coconut trees are pretty much undefeated in all speed induced or chemically enhanced automotive encounters.
(It having been a Lambo just makes it funny)

DWs parents live about a mile from the McLaren testing centre in Surrey, where they deliver you your P1 Road Car. They have seen about 6 of those bad boys on their local roundabout, as they guys have no idea how to drive them when they pick it up. FIL reckons he's seen about 3mill worth of busted motor on that road.
They weren't impressed.
I would go to HR mate, they are clearly not abiding to the terms of the contract. You put the bit in about me calling it, right?
Hope you didn't bring a fork with you.
:rotfl:No, nor a skirt. Enjoy your game tomorrow.

Its time to break out the cocktails chaps, I see a margarita in my imminent future.

Its a win either way, you are at Disney. Just flip a coin and cheer wither result.

DUH! Coconut tree 1 - Lamborghini 0.
LOL

FIL reckons he's seen about 3mill worth of busted motor on that road
Thats what happens when people with more money than sense are allowed out into public.

Happy Friday the 13th. Rain let up and I hope that holds because I want to grill a steak tonight (like rain is going to stop me). Just saw on the news this guy decided to wrap his Lamborghini around a coconut tree. If you haven't seen a coconut palm up close, the trunk is as tough as a cement pillar. Lambo broke in half, two guys taken to the hospital and are still alive. Authorities think speeding was involved. DUH! Coconut tree 1 - Lamborghini 0.
Having lived down there for 4 years and seeing the number of speed and/or alcohol induced accidents, I'm pretty sure the coconut tree's count is way more than 1. Just 1 recently.

Cheers mate. That was my only thing with the CR, the pool seemed really dull. TOTWL looks great we are looking forward to that. does it get really busy?

I think if she does win (which she usually does) we'll stay at Jambo. I completely agree with the Bus thing at AKL. I couldn't believe people would put up with the irregularity of the buses when you are dropping that much coin on a resort.

Since you're DVC, you get all the pools. They each have three pools. CR & BLT have two pools with water slides. AK Kidani has the spray park and water slide.

TOTWL opens later in day, only gets busy near fireworks or private events, and has the world's worst and slowest service. Can't blame the CMs. Disney gives them 3 CMs? for a normal shift, attendance quintuples right before fireworks with no extra help. Hot apps sent upstairs thru dumb waiter.

AK does have some tasty options and lounge. Jambo does have a Club Level you can book with DVC points. It's on the top floor and is a nice area.

Feel bad for you Bubba. Enjoy the last day and do your best consuming the remaining beer. I have faith in you.

I finished the rest of my beer. DW still has some leftover beer. New challenge accepted.

Man how I hate budget development time of the year - just tell me what whacko number you want, volume and profit, for us to build budgets to so I can do a "I told you so" next year when we crash and burn to the number created from a hookah pipe retreat of zeolots.

My nerves were completely shot last night watching my Cubbies. What a roller coaster drama filled game. Not very well played but WOW! Stayed with the cigar last night so was outside and had to keep the fire pit going and probably drank a few more Makers Mark than one should on a work night - oh well. DS is home for fall break and DD and SIL are here through Sunday and head for DC on Monday so should be a nice weekend with everyone in one place. Enjoy your weekends and of course............

GO CUBS GO!
Cubs win!!
That is all.

Well, okay...maybe not all for me...I need a NAP!
I hear ya, was exhausted from length of game, on edge whole game and not being able to get to sleep for another hour after the the last pitch.
Friday the 13th is unlucky for me, since this will be our last day at thr beach. We leave tomorrow at whatever time. It is another beautiful day here.
Enjoy your last day and safe travels
That's it. I'm calling it. Work week over. Everyone out. As it's Friday 13th Last one in Raglan Road for Blood Orange Bourbon's has to take Sally home. And she's got Frog's Breath.

So you had the same eyes I had this morning, blood orange from too many bourbons? If you are for sure doing Poly then I would do AKL since you are already gonna be at a monorail resort. Kidani is our home resort, Jambo has better eats but we have not had bus issues at Kidani. Also, with the "Mini-Van" service you can avoid any potential bus challenges if you want to drop the extra dollars. But may be worth it anyway especially with the younger ones.
Depends on what you're wanting.
We stayed at AKL in February and the transportation (buses) were HORRIBLE. Andy just got back from there and had same issue with buses.
At BLT, you can walk to MK, you can walk to Monorail, you can walk to buses, you can walk to water transport.
The decorations and animals at AKL are cool.

So, again...what are you wanting? Transportation/location or decorations and animals? Pros & cons for both.

For me personally, the animals lost some of their allure after the first couple days...it was kinda like, oh yeah giraffes again, oh look more Ankale cattle. Also, the decorations are less important (for me) when coming home from the park tired...just want my bed.

For AKL, Kidani or Jambo, again depends on what you and family prefer.
The buses pickup and dropoff at Kidani first, so that's a plus.
The pool at Kidani is better.
I think other than that, Jambo wins out on just about everything else. Better lobby/decorations/restaurants/has a gift shop/etc..
Pretty much covers it.
Yeah, I think it's gonna be BLT. We had the same issues with the buses this year when we had dinner at Boma after the day at AK. I just thought it might have been an off day. Has anyone seen happily ever after fireworks from BLT? This might be the clincher for the missus as she loved watching from our room at the Poly
DS saw Happily Ever After this summer and he thinks watching from Poly or BLT is not gonna be the same as Wishes due to the projection show tied to HEA. He says the projection show is awesome and that the fireworks are less of the show than Wishes.
I think the TV thing finished with Wishes, or at least it did at the Poly. I really don't fancy AKL, but DW is a bit keen for it. Trying to come up with Alternatives. Maybe Boardwalk and do the Epcot thing. Cheers though.
Boardwalk allows for easy walks to and from EPCOT & Studios plus has the boardwalk area restaurants and beverage options. If you do AKL, a Savannah view is the way to go for the little ones.

Feeling a bit PO'ed tonight with NCL. Some of you may know we booked a cruise for next March on the NCL Escape. It did get changed after the hurricanes and that is understandable. The problem is with them not honouring the contract we have. When we booked, we were given 2 perks, free ultimate beverage package for 2 and the 3rd and 4th passenger free. We knew that DS wanted to bring a friend but the friend needed to confirm a few things first. We were told by NCL that we could add him later. Our TA tried to add him today and was told he could no longer be added for free, the promotion was full and had been ended. It may be full be we have a contract saying we had the add-on to our cruise. Now they don't want to honour it . We weren't happy with with NCL after a previous cruise, if this one happens it will probably be the last with NCL.

G'day dads! Just thought I'd introduce myself as I'm new to the DisBoards. Liam from Australia here :drinking1

:welcome: WELCOME TO THE DISDAD'S CLUB Liam! :welcome:

You have been added to The Official DISDad Members List on Page 1, Posts 8 & 9!:thumbsup2

Your Official Member Number is #839!

To see where else you can find the DISDads on the internet, please check out Post 3 on Page One!

If you would like anything added to Page One about yourself, please send me a PM. FYI, I do not add anything to page one about you without your permission.​

Some sad news. A guy from my home town died in Gulf Shores Alabama the other day on Fall Break vacation trying to save an 11 year old kid (not his) from drowning in a riptide. I coached with him in rec soccer a few years back, and his children are in same grades as mine.

While we weren't close friends, he was a great guy and a good dad whenever I saw him.

praying

Morning boys from a Sunny London.
Cinema in the garden tonight with Hot Dogs, Popcorn and S'mores over the fire Pit. A really British experience. My kids picked it. We might as well relocate and cut out the usurious charges for Graham Crackers.

DS saw Happily Ever After this summer and he thinks watching from Poly or BLT is not gonna be the same as Wishes due to the projection show tied to HEA. He says the projection show is awesome and that the fireworks are less of the show than Wishes.
I think it's better mate. We saw it every night from the Poly this year from our room. I'll put my tin hat on, I has no emotional attachment to Wishes, so I prefer HEA. HEA is also much better at tying in the music in with the fireworks. I think it helps if you've seen it, but it doesn't detract as a firework show if you can't see the projections, its just a total show if you can.
Feeling a bit PO'ed tonight with NCL
Well that's a bit rubbish of them, hopefully someone will see sense. It's a shame though, because sometimes those things leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Also, with the "Mini-Van" service you can avoid any potential bus challenges if you want to drop the extra dollars
That's a lot of Dollar, $20 one way. As Norm said, I can't see how they didn't think about all this when they set it up.
blood orange from too many bourbons?
Nearly, but I woke up at 8:50 this morning, which is about 3 hours later than I normally do, so that one must have got me. Its a real PITA that they drew the Dodgers, that puts it into the realms of not watching for me, as most of the Games will start at 2AM with the West Coast Start times. For some reason I was on the Limoncello the other night and that bit back a little bit.

Have a good day all

Another weekend of the best sport in the world, college football. Some interesting games on today and it all started last night with the Cuse upsetting Clemson. Was born in Syracuse and always have a soft spot for the Orangemen. Gators are on tonight. Bit concerned about this one, no-one except Vegas is picking us to win. Fingers crossed.

Cads. Bounders.

Total Bollocks. Especially the knobhead that called the meeting.

Coconut trees are pretty much undefeated in all speed induced or chemically enhanced automotive encounters.

Having lived down there for 4 years and seeing the number of speed and/or alcohol induced accidents, I'm pretty sure the coconut tree's count is way more than 1. Just 1 recently.

DWs parents live about a mile from the McLaren testing centre in Surrey, where they deliver you your P1 Road Car. They have seen about 6 of those bad boys on their local roundabout, as they guys have no idea how to drive them when they pick it up. FIL reckons he's seen about 3mill worth of busted motor on that road.

Happens all the time. Usually the idiots are drunk, speeding or both.

I finished the rest of my beer. DW still has some leftover beer. New challenge accepted.

You Da Man. I knew I could count on you.

My nerves were completely shot last night watching my Cubbies. What a roller coaster drama filled game. Not very well played but WOW! Stayed with the cigar last night so was outside and had to keep the fire pit going and probably drank a few more Makers Mark than one should on a work night - oh well. DS is home for fall break and DD and SIL are here through Sunday and head for DC on Monday so should be a nice weekend with everyone in one place. Enjoy your weekends and of course............

My Nats friend was fried (and PO'ed) after the game. Good game and series. Who knew Scherzer would blow up like that.

Have a great time with the family.

Feeling a bit PO'ed tonight with NCL.

I'd be a bit more than PO'ed. Hope it works out.

Morning boys from a Sunny London.
Cinema in the garden tonight with Hot Dogs, Popcorn and S'mores over the fire Pit. A really British experience. My kids picked it. We might as well relocate and cut out the usurious charges for Graham Crackers.

Morning from hot and muggy Miami. Had to put the AC back on last night. I will be sitting on a couch, remote in hand watching football. My menu is similar to yours except no S'mores and chips and dip added. Enjoy the movie and family time.

Total Bollocks. Especially the knobhead that called the meeting.
::yes::

Happens all the time. Usually the idiots are drunk, speeding or both.
::yes:: :sad2:, but true.

My Nats friend was fried (and PO'ed) after the game. Good game and series. Who knew Scherzer would blow up like that.
I feel his pain...we Cubs fans have dealt with that for YEARS. With regards to Scherzer...same for the Cubbies. Some of the pitchers we can normally rely on were not so reliable. That's what happens when you stretch the pen too much and then try to have starters be relievers (IMHO). Longest 9 inning game in playoff history because so many pitching changes on both sides. The one I'm really concerned about is CJ....he's had very little middle ground...either he's been either rock solid or not at all close and unfortunately more of the latter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter