DDP vs No DDP when cost difference is $48

Would you choose dining plan?

• Yes

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 24 57.1%

• Total voters
We have 2 kids under 3
The under 3's won't have any dining plan credits. Have you taken their meals into consideration for BOTH scenarios? Except at buffets, they are only "free" when eating off an adult's plate -- if you order something the kids won't eat, or they'd prefer chicken nuggets, then you'll still pay for it. That goes for TS or QS.

It really depends on what you want. I have never had any problems getting something day of. I don't dig around or stalk reservations. Usually around 2 or so when I'm back at my resort resting, I'll open the app. and see what's available. It helps that I always have hoppers of some sort so the park doesn't matter. It also helps that I don't do buffets and like to try new things and could care less about the "must do" or character meals. We have always done it this way, even back before there was such a thing as an app. and you had to go to GS in the parks and have one of them look it up. The only ADR I've ever made in advance of a trip was V&As and that was on a whim the week before the trip. That was a lie, I did used to make the reservations for the pairing meals they used to have during F&W. Not planners in our family, we don't buy Genie+, we rarely used FP or FP+ when they were around, we just like to go where the wind blows us. We used to get the DP way back when it was actually 3 TS meals a day and dirt cheap. A few times doing that and we knew it wasn't for us. Too much food and too much trying to figure out if this restaurant was on it and worrying about if we were going to use all our credits.
When we went in May of 2022 there was actually decent availability day of things. We didn't end up making use of that but BOG, Ohana, etc were available day of plus wait list popped up for multiple places throughout the days. That was before the 2 hour cancellation window started so I'm not sure if the availability has changed.

I do think if someone has a restaurant they really really want at least trying for an ADR would make sense but it's also not necessarily the end of the world like it might have been in the past. I know 1900 Park Fare just reopened so that might increase its popularity.

If it works for you, go for it. Personally, I never would. Too many variables and too rigid for our style. We like to eat what we want when we want. We don't make ADRS in advance, if we want a TS meal we just find one the afternoon of for that evening. We rarely snack between meals and rarely eat a whole lot of sweets. If we do eat a "snack" it's usually for a small meal. I don't drink soft drinks (although I do enjoy a refreshing adult beverage) and usually just use the free coffee in the room in the morning then drink water the rest of the time. I don't eat large meals, if I'm eating a QS meal (which I don't do but for breakfast most of the time) it's a kid's meal and then I usually have the cutie left over for later in the day. I wouldn't like the trouble of trying to figure out if a place was on the plan or if I was getting the best bang for the buck. I, also, don't stress about the cost of my meals since I just eat what I want when I want. There are days I'll have a kid's QS breakfast, maybe go to LaCava and get some queso and guac and a marg for mid-day then eat at food booths at Epcot for supper.
I agree with you, loves to dive, :)

We did the DP when it first started, It was a real bargain then for us. Then we did it because we were used to is for a few years. But we realized that we cancelled a few meals because a of a variety of reasons: too cold, too tired, full from lunch, etc. Sometimes we didn't feel like trekking over to Epcot at that time.

It began to feel too regimented for us and we didn't really use it every day like you should. We also found that we overate because the food "was paid for and it was there, LOL". We missed out on getting all those fun snacks because we were too full.

Then we tried going without the DP, even though we were conditioned to take it. It was kind of scary, TBH.
But we Loved not having the DP. We were free to go where we wanted, when we wanted, and eat what we wanted. We didn't have to worry about getting to our reservation if we were having fun somewhere else.

For us, it didn't work out. But we didn't have young kids either.
You have to do what you feel is right for your family. Either way will work.

I would not do the DDP in your case because what if your plans change or someone is sick or you just don't feel like following your plan? You are basically locked in because you've pre-paid for your meals. If you are having fun at the pool and just want to snack that afternoon/evening, or your kids are hungry at a different time you may find that you are left with TS credits or maybe not using the TS credits as advantageously as you initially calculated.

I just got back from a trip at the Poly with our 2.5 year and had a similar choice. My calculations showed I would about break even so I went with the DDP for the all inclusive feel. We ended up saving around $175 because, like you noted, it caused us to change our habits a bit in a way that enhanced our vacation (my husband got the more expensive steak since it was "free", we ordered cocktails more than we otherwise would have, etc). The Oasis pool bar at the Poly is actually a pretty good use of a QS credit if you get a cocktail with it. I saw someone questioning whether you would really get to use the drink credits with little kids and to that I say "uh, duh! who needs a cocktail at the end of the day more than parents of small kids?!" Kidding aside, we did not always order a drink at lunch, though we did some days get something like a mimosa, but we did typically order one at dinner and the math still worked out. In no way did that get either of us tipsy or unable to care for our child, just a pleasant relaxing moment with dinner!

If you keep the TS reservations you mentioned, those are also a good use of those credits. You can easily do better than $5 per snack - Mickey pretzels are nearly $9. We got my son a glowing ice cube lemonade for $9 with a DDP snack and a $7 moana cupcake. Lots of options at the Flower and Garden Festival are over $8- 9 (I got a lobster tail for $11.25 on the DDP as a snack)! Since you're doing a lot of resort time, you will probably get good use of the refillable mugs. And for your math, remember that Disney menus don't include tax, but the DDP does. So that's an extra 6%.

And if you do have to cancel a TS meal, you can mobile order Kona Cafe to go at the Poly so can use a TS credit there in a pinch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter