Debt Dumpers - 2018

I was going to post today about some great debt dumping progress I've made since the first of the year (applied my whole income tax return of almost $2900 to a credit card and also put another $1500 towards it in January--making progress!!!). It really is helpful to make that list of what you owe and percentage of debt to available credit ratio--so much fun to run the number again and see the numbers going down!!!! I should have done that years ago because now I am a little obsessed lol !

But today Murphy has struck!?!?!!?!?!?! I was driving down the Interstate and all the sudden my car started shaking like crazy and I immediately started signaling and pulling over. Long story short, just as I got to the shoulder but before I got stopped, my lug nuts broke off and my tire and rim started rolling down the freeway, jumped the concrete median, missed one 18 wheeler, bounced off the side of the next 18 wheeler, jumped back over the median and came to a stop just off the inside lane on my side of the road. I jumped out of the car and raced and got it before any more cars could come along. Crazy!?!?!!?! AAA to the rescue, got towed to a local shop, and now waiting to find out the estimate. I can see the damage to the rotor, so know that will have to be replaced. Probably the spoke (I think that is what it is called) too. There was also a bit of damage to my front fender near the driver side door, but not anything that HAS to be fixed. The tire was brand new, put on Dec 23, and I bought the Certificate Of Replacement, so as soon as my ride gets here I am taking the tire and rim back to Discount Tire and hope they make it right. Not sure if they will replace the rim (that I bought there too) but they should at least replace the tire for free with the Certificate. I know is is going to be costly and slow up my debt dumping. On the bright side, the tow only cost me $10 because it was 2 miles over the AAA free tow miles limit, and the nice guy at the shop in this little town off the freeway said he can probably have me fixed by tomorrow, assuming he can get the rotor and spoke from the nearest Dodge dealership, and best of all, I have cash in my emergency fund to cover the costs.

I am just so happy you are safe!Now listen!!! Do NOT ever chase a tire down the road again,,,your life is precious.
I am not a mechanic but I would question their original installation of the tire.
Be proud of yourself for having an emergency fund and paying off lots of debt!!!Well done!
Best wishes Hon
Hugs Mel

How much does it cost to take the bar exam?

It varies state to state. In my state, it's $950 to apply just to take the bar exam. Most people (and by most I mean everyone I've ever known) take a bar exam prep course which is sort of a 9-10 week crash course in every area of law you need to know for the exam. My course cost $4100. I think I got it down to $3500 after scholarships. It's pretty tough to work during this course as you're on a rigorous schedule and are supposed to treat studying like a 9-5 job, at least. So needless to say, you're also trying to figure out how to cover your bills during this time if you can't work at all or only limited hours. Also, my state only offers one testing location which is three hours away from me, so I had to drive there and then stay two nights in a hotel for the two day exam.

Plus, you know, the copious amounts of Starbucks you have to drink to keep yourself motivated... maybe that was just me! :rotfl2:

Basically, $$$. I'm sure there are some more cost effective ways to do it, but I wasn't willing to take any chances of failing and having to go through that misery again!

I am just so happy you are safe!Now listen!!! Do NOT ever chase a tire down the road again,,,your life is precious.
I am not a mechanic but I would question their original installation of the tire.
Be proud of yourself for having an emergency fund and paying off lots of debt!!!Well done!
Best wishes Hon
Hugs Mel

You are so sweet Mel. Thanks for the hugs!!

It varies state to state. In my state, it's $950 to apply just to take the bar exam. Most people (and by most I mean everyone I've ever known) take a bar exam prep course which is sort of a 9-10 week crash course in every area of law you need to know for the exam. My course cost $4100. I think I got it down to $3500 after scholarships. It's pretty tough to work during this course as you're on a rigorous schedule and are supposed to treat studying like a 9-5 job, at least. So needless to say, you're also trying to figure out how to cover your bills during this time if you can't work at all or only limited hours. Also, my state only offers one testing location which is three hours away from me, so I had to drive there and then stay two nights in a hotel for the two day exam.

Plus, you know, the copious amounts of Starbucks you have to drink to keep yourself motivated... maybe that was just me! :rotfl2:

Basically, $$$. I'm sure there are some more cost effective ways to do it, but I wasn't willing to take any chances of failing and having to go through that misery again!
And then the cost of the booze once it's over.... :)

I had zero insight to any of this, so wow! Those are some crazy costs.

I was going to post today about some great debt dumping progress I've made since the first of the year (applied my whole income tax return of almost $2900 to a credit card and also put another $1500 towards it in January--making progress!!!). It really is helpful to make that list of what you owe and percentage of debt to available credit ratio--so much fun to run the number again and see the numbers going down!!!! I should have done that years ago because now I am a little obsessed lol !

But today Murphy has struck!?!?!!?!?!?! I was driving down the Interstate and all the sudden my car started shaking like crazy and I immediately started signaling and pulling over. Long story short, just as I got to the shoulder but before I got stopped, my lug nuts broke off and my tire and rim started rolling down the freeway, jumped the concrete median, missed one 18 wheeler, bounced off the side of the next 18 wheeler, jumped back over the median and came to a stop just off the inside lane on my side of the road. I jumped out of the car and raced and got it before any more cars could come along. Crazy!?!?!!?! AAA to the rescue, got towed to a local shop, and now waiting to find out the estimate. I can see the damage to the rotor, so know that will have to be replaced. Probably the spoke (I think that is what it is called) too. There was also a bit of damage to my front fender near the driver side door, but not anything that HAS to be fixed. The tire was brand new, put on Dec 23, and I bought the Certificate Of Replacement, so as soon as my ride gets here I am taking the tire and rim back to Discount Tire and hope they make it right. Not sure if they will replace the rim (that I bought there too) but they should at least replace the tire for free with the Certificate. I know is is going to be costly and slow up my debt dumping. On the bright side, the tow only cost me $10 because it was 2 miles over the AAA free tow miles limit, and the nice guy at the shop in this little town off the freeway said he can probably have me fixed by tomorrow, assuming he can get the rotor and spoke from the nearest Dodge dealership, and best of all, I have cash in my emergency fund to cover the costs.

Wow, how scary!! So glad you are okay! It definitely sounds like they must have made a mistake in how they put your new tire on... yikes!

Wow, how scary!! So glad you are okay! It definitely sounds like they must have made a mistake in how they put your new tire on... yikes!

Yes, I think they did too. I managed to get a ride and get to the tire store before it closed, and the store is replacing my wheel/rim and the tire and gave me 20 new lug bolts and a new lug key to replace all the lug bolts (so the key will match).

Same.

Your experience was similar to mine albeit in different states. You've explained it well. I did keep working until the last 3 weeks before the bar exam, going to the classes at night and trying to read the material in between. Then practically living in the library cramming the last 3 weeks. Kind of gave me flashbacks of horror remembering it all. o_O The money, the studying, the stress, and promising myself that if I failed I would find another career because I was NEVER putting myself through that again! Lol

Your experience was similar to mine albeit in different states. You've explained it well. I did keep working until the last 3 weeks before the bar exam, going to the classes at night and trying to read the material in between. Then practically living in the library cramming the last 3 weeks. Kind of gave me flashbacks of horror remembering it all. o_O The money, the studying, the stress, and promising myself that if I failed I would find another career because I was NEVER putting myself through that again! Lol

So true! I really don't know if I could have done it a second time. I feel like I've blacked out that entire period of my life... all I can remember is DH asking me if I wanted to go out to dinner about a week before the exam and I just burst into tears and starting sobbing about how I didn't have time to go out to dinner because I didn't understand anything and was going to fail. I think at that point he delicately removed me from my computer and told me I needed a break haha.

I also had the joy of taking the exam on my 25th birthday, so I maintain that I have stopped aging at 24 because that birthday didn't count.

In debt dumping news... just paid off that loan! I put it on my credit card to get the points, but I am filing my tax return tomorrow which is more than enough to cover it, so the credit card will be paid in full as soon my direct deposit comes in. So that's $150 a month back into my budget!!

So glad that you are alright. That would definitely be scary.

So true! I really don't know if I could have done it a second time. I feel like I've blacked out that entire period of my life... all I can remember is DH asking me if I wanted to go out to dinner about a week before the exam and I just burst into tears and starting sobbing about how I didn't have time to go out to dinner because I didn't understand anything and was going to fail. I think at that point he delicately removed me from my computer and told me I needed a break haha.

I also had the joy of taking the exam on my 25th birthday, so I maintain that I have stopped aging at 24 because that birthday didn't count.

In debt dumping news... just paid off that loan! I put it on my credit card to get the points, but I am filing my tax return tomorrow which is more than enough to cover it, so the credit card will be paid in full as soon my direct deposit comes in. So that's $150 a month back into my budget!!

I did the BARBRI self study course. I am not sure how I did it honestly, but I forced myself to study from 9am until 5pm every single weekday for the first 5 weeks. And then for the next 4 weeks, I even studied on weekends from 9am to 5pm too. I think I just looked forward to chatting and playing video games each night with DH (we weren't even dating then, just online friends). Because of some unforeseen issues that caused me to miss the deadline for the July bar exam, I ended up taking the February bar. It was so scary because everyone at my table during the exam had taken the July bar exam and failed! I was so nervous to begin with, but knowing that all of these people had already had to do this once already made me even more scared.

And it was such a grueling experience. The February bar was only administered in Dallas, so I had planned to drive the 4 hours from Austin to Dallas for the test. My mom thought that was a stupid idea and bought me a plane ticket. I am so thankful to her for that. After 3 days of test taking, I was completely brain dead. It was the most exhausting academic experience of my life. There was no way I would have been able to drive those 4 hours home after the test.

Congrats to everyone on their debt tackling! It’s inspiring to read :goodvibes

I’ve paid off 2 of my lower balance credit cards and moved the bulk of CC debt (about $9000) to a different card with a good 0% interest promo. I plan on chipping away at it that way.

However, my parents asked me to take over one of my undergraduate student loans that has about $7500 remaining. They had always wanted to pay for my education and were truly sorry to ask me to take it over. I told them I was absolutely OK with handling it as they had done enough already. And I feel like this is such a “first world problem” and hate to even mention it! But this thread is about tackling debt so I had to address it. It’s another debt to add to the snowball, but I’m happy I’m at the point in my life that I can take this burden off my parents.

I did the BARBRI self study course. I am not sure how I did it honestly, but I forced myself to study from 9am until 5pm every single weekday for the first 5 weeks. And then for the next 4 weeks, I even studied on weekends from 9am to 5pm too. I think I just looked forward to chatting and playing video games each night with DH (we weren't even dating then, just online friends). Because of some unforeseen issues that caused me to miss the deadline for the July bar exam, I ended up taking the February bar. It was so scary because everyone at my table during the exam had taken the July bar exam and failed! I was so nervous to begin with, but knowing that all of these people had already had to do this once already made me even more scared.

And it was such a grueling experience. The February bar was only administered in Dallas, so I had planned to drive the 4 hours from Austin to Dallas for the test. My mom thought that was a stupid idea and bought me a plane ticket. I am so thankful to her for that. After 3 days of test taking, I was completely brain dead. It was the most exhausting academic experience of my life. There was no way I would have been able to drive those 4 hours home after the test.

Oh my gosh that is soooooo nervewracking! I had one guy sitting right next to me who was taking it for the third time. Before we got started on the first day, he couldn't get his laptop to login to the exam software (I think we used ExamFour). Turns out he was using someone else's laptop and didn't have the admin password, even though we were explicitly told multiple times to not use anyone else's laptop for that exact reason. They took his laptop away and told him he had to hand write it... :scared: Then, during a break, the girl on the other side of him proceeded to start asking him if he thought he had failed the essay portion or the MBE before. I had to get up and walk away it was giving me so much anxiety. I made sure to remember his name and noticed that he did not pass on that try either.

Oh my gosh that is soooooo nervewracking! I had one guy sitting right next to me who was taking it for the third time. Before we got started on the first day, he couldn't get his laptop to login to the exam software (I think we used ExamFour). Turns out he was using someone else's laptop and didn't have the admin password, even though we were explicitly told multiple times to not use anyone else's laptop for that exact reason. They took his laptop away and told him he had to hand write it... :scared: Then, during a break, the girl on the other side of him proceeded to start asking him if he thought he had failed the essay portion or the MBE before. I had to get up and walk away it was giving me so much anxiety. I made sure to remember his name and noticed that he did not pass on that try either.

I feel really bad for people that can't pass the bar exam. They spent an awful lot of money on law school to not actually be allowed to practice law.

I feel really bad for people that can't pass the bar exam. They spent an awful lot of money on law school to not actually be allowed to practice law.

Seriously. Of the 6 law clerks in my courthouse, one didn't pass the bar this year :sad1: I felt so bad for her, especially because the other five were all trying to quietly celebrate their success.

I took two bar exams (PA and NJ) in one weekend. So glad I passed on the first try.

YIKES. No thank you! I told DH we're never moving out of state:rotfl2: One of my friends just moved into a neighboring state and it was insanely difficult and a really long process for her to get waived in. I know that's not how it is everywhere, but I think one bar admission is enough for me!

Hi! I have lurked on here for awhile. I didn’t realize so many of you were lawyers. I will be graduating law school in a few months with six figures of debt and I got 120k in scholarships for law school. My parents also paid for my undergrad along with scholarships. I hope to get a public interest job and get on income based repayment and have my debt forgiven in 10 years. Still looking for a job though. I am super nervous about the bar; I’m taking it in July. Thankfully, my parents covered the cost of a review program.

Hi! I have lurked on here for awhile. I didn’t realize so many of you were lawyers. I will be graduating law school in a few months with six figures of debt and I got 120k in scholarships for law school. My parents also paid for my undergrad along with scholarships. I hope to get a public interest job and get on income based repayment and have my debt forgiven in 10 years. Still looking for a job though. I am super nervous about the bar; I’m taking it in July. Thankfully, my parents covered the cost of a review program.

Step One: Stop reading our horror stories about the bar exam :rolleyes1

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! I think most of us here are in public interest. I also have six figures in student loans and am participating in the public service loan forgiveness program. If you have any questions about it, I'm happy to help! I'm up to month 33 of my 120 payments.

Step One: Stop reading our horror stories about the bar exam :rolleyes1

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! I think most of us here are in public interest. I also have six figures in student loans and am participating in the public service loan forgiveness program. If you have any questions about it, I'm happy to help! I'm up to month 33 of my 120 payments.

Thank you! I am so ready for graduation. I am not ready for the bar lol. I barley passed the MPRE with a score of 87, it was just good enough for all the states. Congratulations on your payments so far. It is very nice of you to offer to help! I maybe reaching out soon when it is time for me to get signed up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter