Debt Dumpers - 2018

We are hoping to have another child. And I have given thought to whether or not I wanted to keep the breastfeeding items. I was actually talking about this with my social worker yesterday. I have no plans to breastfeed if I have a second child. It really took a toll on my mental health and I am still working through issues. I was basically nonfunctional for several weeks and because of it, DH has only one day of sick leave left for the entire year. It was very hard on him. And because I was spending almost all of my time pumping or cleaning pump parts for the first 6-8 weeks, I felt so disconnected from DD. I think back on it now and it just makes me really sad. I wish I could go back and tell myself to let it go after the first week. Once I stopped pumping, everything got so much better and I now have time to actually spend with DD. If we have another kid, I need to think about my whole family, including DD. If I went through a similar episode next time, I don't think that I would be able to adequately care for myself, DD or the new baby.

{{HUGS}} Be good to yourself. You are not less of a mother if you do not breastfeed. Bonding happens on many levels, just ask anyone who has adopted a baby. {{HUGS}}

Disney doesn’t do the hard sales pitch that other time shares do. Take a dvc tour the next time your there, you get free FPs for doing it and they don’t hard sale you at the end.

Really? Well fastpasses and no hard sales, hmm I just may take a peek next time if Disney isn't a hard sale. I really did want to take a peek last time, but knew I didn't want to pursue more than just a look.

Really? Well fastpasses and no hard sales, hmm I just may take a peek next time if Disney isn't a hard sale. I really did want to take a peek last time, but knew I didn't want to pursue more than just a look.

I went with my friend to Disney for a few days in January. Even though I am already a DVC member, my friend wanted to take the tour. She got a $50 gift card, plus we got 4 fast passes each. We used them on some of the rides we weren't able to get via fast pass, like Toy Story at HS. They picked us up from Epcot, drove us over to Copper Creek and gave us a 20 minute sales pitch. No hard sell to my friend, just informational. They drove us right back to Epcot. The whole thing took about 45 minutes.

So jealous of all the DVC talk! Not sure if it's ever something that will be in our radar, but I do love learning more about it.

I followed my own advice from a couple weeks ago and got DH a life insurance policy last night. He had one through work, but I realized recently that he did not have a standalone policy and was turning 30 this year. I was able to get him a 30 year term policy for only $30 a month, so I'm happy with that and now we both have some protection if the worst were to happen.

Other than that, we're just cruising along... we're setting aside a little bit of our third paychecks this month for some travel. We're taking a long weekend in Asheville, NC next month. Our Airbnb is paid for and my MIL gave us a $100 gift card to the Biltmore so all but $10 of our tickets will be paid for, but we are planning to eat at several restaurants around Asheville. I've also been looking more at Orlando for DH's 30th birthday this fall and learned this week that the first night of MVMCP is the first night we're in Orlando! We went once ten years ago, but I can barely remember it and we really weren't even there that long, so we decided to go ahead and get tickets for that as well. Honestly, considering that they let you in the park at 4 pm and then kick everybody out at 6-7 so the lines will be much shorter, I really don't think it's that bad of a value. I have $35 in Target gift cards I'll use to buy Disney gift cards, along with my Redcard, so that will offset the price some. I'm already so excited for this trip and wish it was closer!

Very smart move, paying cash! I wish I had more will power when we bought our first contract (200 pts at AKL), but we didn't. That loan we paid off early with little interest. We bought 200 pts at VGF because we just LOVE it there! Those were direct points and that is the loan I regret, but we are paying it off super early. Then last year we bought resale and added 100 pts to our VGF. That we paid off in 11 mths so the interest was just a few hundred. DH wants more points (he is crazy!) and I told him only if we pay cash. We love the VGF and we love staying at Poly. We also like AKL for its true peaceful environment. A great place to get away from all the hustle and bustle.

Can you tell I am on hold with nothing to do but post :) ?

We were lucky enough to pay cash for our first contract because my parents gave us a big cash gift when we got married. Though my mom thought it was a terrible idea, we decided that we would use the money towards DVC so that we could have wonderful family vacations for years to come. My dad thought it sounded great. And since buying in 2015, we haven't actually paid for dues out of pocket. I have managed to earn gift cards through rewards programs each year that covers our annual dues. I already have enough earned to cover our 2019 dues too.

We decided that we would save up and pay cash for any future contracts. And all of the money for the DVC contract is basically "extra" money that I earn through rewards programs, mystery shopping, extra per diem funds when I travel for work, selling our used items, etc. None of it has come from our regular budget. I think it will be a pretty awesome moment when we buy that next contract.

And we definitely decided on GF for the next purchase. DH wants to stay with a monorail resort and I loved staying at GF when I was a kid. I know we will love it as much as we love our Poly contract.

I have been opening bank accounts with bonuses and putting the money in a dvc fund. I’m at 10% of my goal so far. I am trying to decide between the Poly, BLT, or AKL.

Those are all only available via resale, which will save you money but you won't get the extra DVC membership perks that you get from buying direct. When you consider a resale contract, also think about how many years are left on the contract. They all differ, so a contract a Poly will last more years than one at AKL. And look at the room layouts and points costs. Poly only has studios and bungalows, so you have fewer choices there.

Those are all only available via resale, which will save you money but you won't get the extra DVC membership perks that you get from buying direct. When you consider a resale contract, also think about how many years are left on the contract. They all differ, so a contract a Poly will last more years than one at AKL. And look at the room layouts and points costs. Poly only has studios and bungalows, so you have fewer choices there.

This is why I haven’t decided yet. Lol My SO and I like the room designs the best at the Poly, but the bungalows are too expensive and we like having a washer and dryer in the room. The Contemporary we like because of the walking distance to the MK. AKL we like because it is significantly cheaper and has all the great restaurants. We will probably end up buying multiple smaller contracts. We also loved Disneyland. we are hoping the new hotel they are building has DVC and we can get the direct benefits if we buy that.

We are hoping to have another child. And I have given thought to whether or not I wanted to keep the breastfeeding items. I was actually talking about this with my social worker yesterday. I have no plans to breastfeed if I have a second child. It really took a toll on my mental health and I am still working through issues. I was basically nonfunctional for several weeks and because of it, DH has only one day of sick leave left for the entire year. It was very hard on him. And because I was spending almost all of my time pumping or cleaning pump parts for the first 6-8 weeks, I felt so disconnected from DD. I think back on it now and it just makes me really sad. I wish I could go back and tell myself to let it go after the first week. Once I stopped pumping, everything got so much better and I now have time to actually spend with DD. If we have another kid, I need to think about my whole family, including DD. If I went through a similar episode next time, I don't think that I would be able to adequately care for myself, DD or the new baby.

I can totally relate to your experience. Same thing happened to me with my first. I have a similar "12 week blackout" where I have no memories from the first 3 months except pumping round the clock. It was awful. However, it has had no long-term effects on my relationship with my son who is now 13. So, consider it a bad memory that is now behind you and continue moving forward.

The beauty of motherhood is that you tend to get amnesia about the negative stuff around the time the next baby comes along. When my second was born (4 weeks early with a NICU stay), he so naturally took to breastfeeding and I NEVER had to pump the entire time he BF. He was also a little piggy, though and due to my naturally low supply, I had to supplement nearly every feeding with a bottle as well, which was fine. Honestly though, the nursing part was super easy and not at all an issue with taking care of my toddler as well (who, as it turns out is autistic, so he was NEEDY at that age). You will figure out what works and what doesn't.

Just when I said to myself a few days ago that we haven't had any car repairs lately (and by lately, I mean in like two months, lol), I jinxed myself. I was coming home yesterday a little early due to the storm we are having today. It was sleeting and I stopped to get the mail from our mailbox. When I tried to put the window back up, it would not go up all the way. I could hear the motor still working but it wouldn't budge. So I turned around and went to our car place and got there right before it closed. They put it in the garage, so at least it wasn't open in my driveway all night with the snow. We are all home/teleworking today so that's good. We also still have the old van that we could use for a couple days of commuting if needed. Guy called me earlier this morning, we need a power window regulator to the tune of $500. Because of the weather, they can't get the part until tomorrow but like I said, that's OK because we can still get around.

We just upped the amount we're putting into the college funds, but luckily also increased what's going into savings so I can take it from there. We also have just bought tickets to a few shows this spring and summer and a baseball game ($$$) and I signed up DS15 for lifeguard certification ($200) but all that was paid in cash (well, debit card). So I know, minor blip and especially when you consider the latest school shooting yesterday was in the next county over from me (DS17 texted me about it early yesterday morning and he was unsettled because he has played sports at that school so it feels more real), I am feeling fortunate today. But still didn't expect to be paying that much right now.

My mom found her grandmother's silver spoon collection (they are new in the sleeves) and told me to sell them for our kids' WDW spending money. I took them to a local coin shop, who offered me $150 for all 18 (they are 26 grams each). I'm trying to decide if I should just go that way or list them on FB for $10 or $12 a piece. I don't know what to do with 16 spoons and 2 silver forks. :fish:
I would take the coin shop offer just for convenience. I used to sell a lot on ebay (10-12 years ago) and it's a lot of work and sometimes not worth the hassle. Just my 2 cents.

I would take the coin shop offer just for convenience. I used to sell a lot on ebay (10-12 years ago) and it's a lot of work and sometimes not worth the hassle. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with this. I don't post much on eBay. It just feels like such a hassle for most low priced items. I much prefer to sell things locally via Craigslist or FB. Porch pick up is so convenient and getting cash without paying so much money to eBay and Paypal in fees feels much nicer.

I agree with this. I don't post much on eBay. It just feels like such a hassle for most low priced items. I much prefer to sell things locally via Craigslist or FB. Porch pick up is so convenient and getting cash without paying so much money to eBay and Paypal in fees feels much nicer.
You both convinced me. I'll head over there at lunch and turn them in. I think I'll keep one, to put with my great-grandma's silver tea set. I kept it because I ended up with the same last name initial as she had. And she was a classy lady, who successfully ran a business in the 40's and 50's, after her husband died, when women certainly were NOT in the boardroom.

Ditto! I mean, I just paid off the first CC and reading about DVC is kinda my escape.

I was exactly the same as you for years!! It was my motivation to save up, and put all of my extra money towards saving for DVC. We purchased our contract resale, with cash, and it was the best decision we ever made! We have 300 points and we're saving up to add on another 175 points in 2019. Yes, we pay dues every year, but they are a fraction of the cost of a non-DVC vacation. We have annual passes, so now, when we want to go, all I need is the airfare and food money. We can go 2-3 times per year, and it's fabulous!! Keep dreaming, and you'll get there!!

For any of you needing encouragement, any lurkers, here's an update from my original post on 12/29/17. I came to this thread upset and heartbroken. I've learned so much in these past three months. No raging, just hours spent with my Excel spreadsheet, plotting the pennies. We are making payments for our WDW vacation in December and I have several upcoming bills already slotted for payments (car registrations and property taxes).

Thank you to all of the peeps here who have cheered me on. I honestly don't know if I could've sorted through this without you.

Joining in. This is my anonymous account, although I'm a long-time DISer. Found out my spouse has charged several thousands of dollars in 2017 last night. I'm devastated, to say the least, because we were scheduled to be debt free in May. So, I'm posting here to try and encourage people who read this and feel embarrassed if they are in the same boat. It happens...even after more than 20 wonderful years of marriage. Yes, I cried myself to sleep. Yes, I cried typing this post, but I'm going to get through this. Here's the plan:

#1 - New CC debt $3472.98 -- According to my snowball chart, I'll have this paid off in June. But I'm going to throw anything I can at it to try and pay it off by April.
IT IS FINISHED!!!! Zero dollars as of 3/21/18!
#2 - Main CC debt $18,509.99 -- Without a doubt, this hurts the most to post. We even have a WDW trip planned in December that I'm considering canceling, but I dread telling our kids. We've been planning it for 2 years. My goal for this one is to pay down, according to the snowball.
Still trucking along. As of today, $17,537.27. I had to add $101 to it this month. Unplanned. But now, the payments will be doubled.

Those are my two goals. We have one car payment and a mortgage, too. If you need encouragement, if you want to cry, PM me (although I'm not sure if I can get PM's before 10 posts?). Want to rage? I get it. But I hope that by reading my soul-crushing debt, someone else can make a decision to move forward, one payment at a time.

"{{HUGS}} Be good to yourself. You are not less of a mother if you do not breastfeed. Bonding happens on many levels, just ask anyone who has adopted a baby. {{HUGS}}"

I agree 100% with this, spoken as a proud adoptive mom! :)

For any of you needing encouragement, any lurkers, here's an update from my original post on 12/29/17. I came to this thread upset and heartbroken. I've learned so much in these past three months. No raging, just hours spent with my Excel spreadsheet, plotting the pennies. We are making payments for our WDW vacation in December and I have several upcoming bills already slotted for payments (car registrations and property taxes).

Thank you to all of the peeps here who have cheered me on. I honestly don't know if I could've sorted through this without you.

A big congrats to you!! It's always so encouraging to see other people's progress when you feel like you're just stuck in your own.

No debt dumping going on here, sadly, as we bought our MNSSHP tickets a few days ago for our August WDW trip and I’m getting ready to purchase 5 day Disneyland tickets (for next year) to the tune of $1100 for the 4 of us . I also budgeted to stay one night at the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego for Easter. Thank you pblack for your help in choosing a Disneyland place to stay. I found cash plus points availability at the Hyatt House Anaheim Resort so went with it. 6,000 points plus $75 a day instead of $558 a night was an easy choice to make. So excited as we’ve never done Disneyland. I plan to use JetBlue points to fly into Long Beach. We will likely fly to Vegas to spend 3 nights there before we fly back home.

On the debt dumping front, we paid extra on the solar loan, so we don’t owe on that until May. We’ve also had a ton of irregular expenses like summer camp and car insurance to pay these past few months. Should be able to start saving again next month.

Last edited:
No debt dumping going on here, sadly, as we bought our MNSSHP tickets a few days ago for our August WDW trip and I’m getting ready to purchase 5 day Disneyland tickets (for next year) to the tune of $1100 for the 4 of us . I also budgeted to stay one night at the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego for Easter. Thank you pblack for your help in choosing a Disneyland place to stay. I found cash plus points availability at the Hyatt House Anaheim Resort so went with it. 6,000 points plus $75 a day instead of $558 a night was an easy choice to make. So excited as we’ve never done Disneyland. I plan to use JetBlue points to fly into Long Beach. We will likely fly to Vegas to spend 3 nights there before we fly back home.

On the debt dumping front, we paid extra on the solar loan, so we don’t owe on that until May. We’ve also had a ton of irregular expenses like summer camp and car insurance to pay these past few months. Should be able to start saving again next month.

You'll definitely have to report back on your Disneyland trip! I'm especially interested to hear about the hotel del coronado in San Diego. The hotel looks amazing, but it's a little out of my price range. If you'll have a car at all and you're coffee drinkers, Roasting Water is an amazing local coffee place that serves almost all their drinks in either decorate glass or plastic bottles. Their bottles change quite frequently. They are amazing! https://www.roastingwater.com/ You can check out their facebook page for some of the bottles they've offered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter