Debt Dumpers 2020

I just gave you a very clear easy way to accomplish all of and be debt-free by end of this year. Ok enjoy your debt. You asked for advice and as typical the in debt folks always have some mathematical solution to their problems. If you were so good at math you wouldn't be in debt. Chances are you have no way to afford the payments I laid out because if you could you already would have done that. If you were serious about paying off debt then foregoing an AP would be an easy decision. Seeing as you consolidated multiple cards on a balance transfer your priorities are clear. You were not looking for advice you were looking for others who are in debt to agree with your poor decision. By your math, you will make a whole $161 off that $10k and choose to keep $14k in debt...lolololol. Yikes.

Dude, get out of here with that attitude. My gosh.

Guess what...I can totally afford the payments you laid out. I am putting $3000-4000 into savings every month. LOL. And I will make way more than $161 in interest this year as my balance increases. I project to have about $25k left over after I make those payments in December. The additional $14k will pad the interest payments nicely until then.

Our financial situation and monthly expenses have changed drastically in the last few months. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Dude, get out of here with that attitude. My gosh.

Guess what...I can totally afford the payments you laid out. I am putting $3000-4000 into savings every month. LOL. And I will make way more than $161 in interest this year as my balance increases. I project to have about $25k left over after I make those payments in December. The additional $14k will pad the interest payments nicely until then.

Our financial situation and monthly expenses have changed drastically in the last few months. You have no idea what you are talking about.
Sure. LOL...you could have your entire debt paid in 2 months then with the 10k already in savings and have enough for your AP in another month then. Stop with the BS. You say you dont want to worry about financing your AP. Why whould you eeven be worried with what you just told me?

I just gave you a very clear easy way to accomplish all of and be debt-free by end of this year. Ok enjoy your debt. You asked for advice and as typical the in debt folks always have some mathematical solution to their problems. If you were so good at math you wouldn't be in debt. Chances are you have no way to afford the payments I laid out because if you could you already would have done that. If you were serious about paying off debt then foregoing an AP would be an easy decision. Seeing as you consolidated multiple cards on a balance transfer your priorities are clear. You were not looking for advice you were looking for others who are in debt to agree with your poor decision. By your math, you will make a whole $161 off that $10k and choose to keep $14k in debt...lolololol. Yikes.
This just makes me sad. I hoped to give you benefit of the doubt as to your earlier posts. Maybe you didn’t realize your tone, and/or hadn‘t had an opportunity to read previous posts for a better understanding of this thread.

Many people bare their lives on this thread. It takes a lot to openly share with strangers your budget, debt and financial goals. While I do not post my personal financial details, I appreciate those who do. I have learned a lot from this thread, and I hope newbies who may really need the support offered here are not scared off by posts that judge and attack.

Sure. LOL...you could have your entire debt paid in 2 months then with the 10k already in savings and have enough for your AP in another month then. Stop with the BS. You say you dont want to worry about financing your AP. Why whould you eeven be worried with what you just told me?

Dude, get lost. This thread is for people to get help and support with working on their finances, not be judged and insulted.

First off, who gets so personally worked up over a complete strangers financial decisions? And secondly, if you scan this and other posts of DLgal I think you will find her to be a very responsible person and parent that has a lot on her plate right now. I was raised of the belief that if you can’t say something nice and be supportive it’s just best for you to say nothing at all.

I understand that you are trying to provide advice, but you are doing it in a disrespectful manner. This group is about providing each other with support and celebrating our successes, not being judgmental or tearing people down. We welcome you to be a participant of this thread, but not if you are going to address people in this manner. Otherwise, you can just stop following along. Thanks.

Yup! I can have it all paid off in a couple of months if I wanted to. Know why I don't want to? Because I can't see the future and we don't have significant liquid savings (yet) and I'd rather stay the course with the payments I am making and have the money set aside to pay it off at the end of the year, provided we don't experience a catastrophic setback. I'd rather have the security of a large balance in the savings account, and a resulting still large balance when I transfer out the $14k at the end of the year.

I don't care about having this debt. Our net worth is many times the small amount of debt we have. Don't make me screenshot my Mint overview...

Let me guess, you paid off your mortgage early rather than investing the extra in the stock market, am I right?

Dude, get lost. This thread is for people to get help and support with working on their finances, not be judged and insulted.
Yup! I can have it all paid off in a couple of months if I wanted to. Know why I don't want to? Because I can't see the future and we don't have significant liquid savings (yet) and I'd rather stay the course with the payments I am making and have the money set aside to pay it off at the end of the year, provided we don't experience a catastrophic setback. I'd rather have the security of a large balance in the savings account, and a resulting still large balance when I transfer out the $14k at the end of the year.

I don't care about having this debt. Our net worth is many times the small amount of debt we have. Don't make me screenshot my Mint overview...

Let me guess, you paid off your mortgage early rather than investing the extra in the stock market, am I right?
I want to apologize for my reaction. I took your initial question as a honest ask for help so I answered it thoughtfully with my first two responses. I should know better than to try and read someones thoughts on a forum. I am going back to edit out my poor responses. If you have a plan in place to pay off your debts then that is what is most important.

I want to apologize for my reaction. I took your initial question as a honest ask for help so I answered it thoughtfully with my first two responses. I should know better than to try and read someones thoughts on a forum. I am going back to edit out my poor responses. If you have a plan in place to pay off your debts then that is what is most important.

Thank you for apologizing. I appreciate that. We are all just here to try and help each other out and lift each other up when needed.

If you want a piece of that action, I suggest you read the entire thread from page one, because many of us laid out our situations in fairly detailed manner, so that people can understand the situations before giving advice.

Last edited:
Okay, so after playing with my buckets, and setting it to paying off one goal at a time, I realized that made me feel uneasy, so I switched it back. I have amounts in all the buckets and plan to allocate the monthly amount needed to reach each of the 3 smaller goals by their deadlines and put whatever remains into the core savings (long term emergency fund).

I have to see an endodontist today for a consultation and they called to tell me my portion will be $185. Ugh. They have to do a stupid CT style xray on 2 teeth with suspected root resorption and my dental insurance doesn't cover it. Argh. I'll have to take that out of the $1000 I have set aside for health care costs, but I'm dreading my out of pocket costs if this issue ends up needing extensive work. Our dental insurance is the worst.

Last edited:
kay, so after playing with my buckets, and setting it to paying off one goal at a time, I realized that made me feel uneasy, so I switched it back. I have amounts in all the buckets and plan to allocate the monthly amount needed to reach each of the 3 smaller goals by their deadlines and put whatever remains into the core savings (long term emergency fund).

i totally get it. i'm the same way. i could put it all in one account or earmark one of the goals at a time to save for but if it's not going to create a net loss/put me off schedule in meeting an individual goal's timeline then setting up individual accounts and doing 1/12th (or whatever appropriate percentage) of the yearly goal each month as an auto transfer makes it easier for me to track and affirm i'm hitting each individual goal.

Is January the longest year of the year EVERY year? Or is it just me?

Huge win: I got my husband listening to the Dave Ramsey podcast and FINALLY convinced him to try zero sum budgeting!! When he said we should try it I couldn't help but chuckle... "what an original and never before suggested idea!"

Our goals for this year were totally blown out of the water by the recent news we received. My husband got a big job offer, so we will be moving to San Diego. Yay! We are so excited. However, it means a lot of work! It is the first time either one of us has moved across state lines permanently. It's a federal job, so we still have a little while until the actual move comes along, but that's okay because I am OVERWHELMED! We need to sell our house (but first replace the roof). Luckily, between what we hope to get from selling our house, selling my husbands truck, and an awesome tax return we should arrive at our new location debt free for the most part!

The only thing left will likely be my $21,000 in student loans.

This opportunity also means that I may be able to go back to school to get my masters. San Diego definitely has a higher cost of living than little old Oregon, but I'm so stoked.

Oh, and what was my stipulation for moving so far away? Annual Passes of course! We will be getting those once we are all settled! At first DS8 was pretty upset about having to move, but when I told him how close we would be to Disneyland, he seemed to change his tune!

2019 was such a rough year for us, so it's an unspeakable relief that 2020 is starting out so promising!
🤣

Okay, so after playing with my buckets, and setting it to paying off one goal at a time, I realized that made me feel uneasy, so I switched it back. I have amounts in all the buckets and plan to allocate the monthly amount needed to reach each of the 3 smaller goals by their deadlines and put whatever remains into the core savings (long term emergency fund).

I have to see an endodontist today for a consultation and they called to tell me my portion will be $185. Ugh. They have to do a stupid CT style xray on 2 teeth with suspected root resorption and my dental insurance doesn't cover it. Argh. I'll have to take that out of the $1000 I have set aside for health care costs, but I'm dreading my out of pocket costs if this issue ends up needing extensive work. Our dental insurance is the worst.

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't know if you're familiar with Care Credit but we've used it and really like it. They give you 0% financing for a certain period of time (determined by the procedure, etc.) I'm not suggesting you take on a loan, but we like it because if it's $1,000+ we can float the balance for a few pay cycles and not feel like our emergency fund took a massive hit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!