Debt Dumpers 2020

hello everyone! I'm not usually on this thread but I check it regularly for inspriation and support on my own debt free journey :) Today I finally paid off all my consumer debt! The only debt I have left is medical debt which isn't interest bearing and this feels like a big step! Paying debts off isn't celebrated like it should be so posting here is like my little party because I know some of you will appreciate it :dogdance:

Depends on where in the state you live. A friend just sold her 3 bedroom, 1 bath house (half of a duplex) that was built in 1954 in the Bay Area for $754k in days. In my area, that'll buy a mansion with acreage. The more heavily populated areas always direct the state, and any state for that matter.

But in budget news? Hurray to me because I miscalculated my car payments and IT'S PAID OFF!!! A month early AND the auto pay overpaid it, so I'll be getting about $150 back!

Before I roll that money into the payments, I need to have tie rods on DH's truck repaired and finish buying the flooring for the house. So in two months, things will roll.

And in two-ish months, I'll be paid for a writing project and hopefully start to earn money on my book!
Congrats on your project and book! If ever you want to share your book, that would be cool, and if not, I can understand that, too.
Great on your car! It must be a great feeling to be done with it! Makes me think of putting my car loan on focus. But, in fact I had been thinking about that this weekend, putting everything extra on it soon and focusing solely on that.

We're currently in the refinancing process for our mortgage. I was thinking that I wanted to hold off on a new car as long as possible, but I can't stop thinking about a used car I found at the dealership my DH used to work at. It's a 2018 GMC Acadia with ~32k miles listed for $22.5k. I have not test driven it yet, but I have seen it in person. It seems to have been one of the more top of the line models with pretty much everything we'd want in a car, including heated front seats, a remote start already installed, and a bose sound system with subwoofer. It's even a color I would want. (My DH doesn't care for the color since it's pretty much a black, but he gets no say so since this will mostly be my car.) Originally when we talked about getting a new car for me, I really wanted a highlander, but those are just out of our price range. Even the used ones are out of our price range and are actually kind of hard to find. But now looking at this GMC, i'm kind of really loving it lol. Anyone out there with an Acadia who can tell me whether they love there car or not?

I'm torn between wanting to wait and paying down/off my student loan quicker and wanting to say "screw it" and get a new car. I know a new car is going to be in my soonish future and I just don't know if I'll come across something else that pretty much checks off all the boxes for me. (I've been browsing for a few months and this is the only one that's actually checked off most of the boxes.)

We're currently in the refinancing process for our mortgage. I was thinking that I wanted to hold off on a new car as long as possible, but I can't stop thinking about a used car I found at the dealership my DH used to work at. It's a 2018 GMC Acadia with ~32k miles listed for $22.5k. I have not test driven it yet, but I have seen it in person. It seems to have been one of the more top of the line models with pretty much everything we'd want in a car, including heated front seats, a remote start already installed, and a bose sound system with subwoofer. It's even a color I would want. (My DH doesn't care for the color since it's pretty much a black, but he gets no say so since this will mostly be my car.) Originally when we talked about getting a new car for me, I really wanted a highlander, but those are just out of our price range. Even the used ones are out of our price range and are actually kind of hard to find. But now looking at this GMC, i'm kind of really loving it lol. Anyone out there with an Acadia who can tell me whether they love there car or not?

I'm torn between wanting to wait and paying down/off my student loan quicker and wanting to say "screw it" and get a new car. I know a new car is going to be in my soonish future and I just don't know if I'll come across something else that pretty much checks off all the boxes for me. (I've been browsing for a few months and this is the only one that's actually checked off most of the boxes.)
On the car, I had a 2010 that I got in 2009 when they came out, and wouldn't likely do it again. It gave me trouble at 100k miles, I've mentioned here it needed a new transmission for one, and had some other engine things going on. But, that was an older year I owned, and before their redesign to a smaller size and maybe some corresponding adjustments. Aesthetically I like the Acadia over the Highlander, but I'd have some hesitation if I were to do it again and would see what's said on the 2018 models. Inside the cabin, I will say it was great and I miss it, and much quieter and more comfortable ride than what I drive now. It sounds like the miles are possibly high, maybe, sounding this out that's 2018, 2019, and then some unknown number of months driven before 2018 rolled in, and just two now for 2020. I'm thinking I'd want something under 25k miles if I could find it, for a 2018, dreaming, yes maybe, but it's quite possible. I think I'd keep looking if it were me, but then that's because I had one before, and also would right now like a Highlander or a Pilot (although I'm not getting either, just buyer's remorse on a van rather than three row SUV again).

Did you run a KBB estimate or Edmunds and see what it's saying for that year and model on miles, price, etc?

On the car, I had a 2010 that I got in 2009 when they came out, and wouldn't likely do it again. It gave me trouble at 100k miles, I've mentioned here it needed a new transmission for one, and had some other engine things going on. But, that was an older year I owned, and before their redesign to a smaller size and maybe some corresponding adjustments. Aesthetically I like the Acadia over the Highlander, but I'd have some hesitation if I were to do it again and would see what's said on the 2018 models. Inside the cabin, I will say it was great and I miss it, and much quieter and more comfortable ride than what I drive now. It sounds like the miles are possibly high, maybe, sounding this out that's 2018, 2019, and then some unknown number of months driven before 2018 rolled in, and just two now for 2020. I'm thinking I'd want something under 25k miles if I could find it, for a 2018, dreaming, yes maybe, but it's quite possible. I think I'd keep looking if it were me, but then that's because I had one before, and also would right now like a Highlander or a Pilot (although I'm not getting either, just buyer's remorse on a van rather than three row SUV again).

Did you run a KBB estimate or Edmunds and see what it's saying for that year and model on miles, price, etc?

I did not, but i'll go do that now. This car has only had 1 owner which I also liked about it. I've read some reviews and they've been mostly positive. I'll have to do some more internet searching. Thanks! I would love to get a highlander, but i'd want the more top of the line model (so probably the limited) and that's just totally out of my price range, even used.

I did not, but i'll go do that now. This car has only had 1 owner which I also liked about it. I've read some reviews and they've been mostly positive. I'll have to do some more internet searching. Thanks! I would love to get a highlander, but i'd want the more top of the line model (so probably the limited) and that's just totally out of my price range, even used.
Definitely check those and run some scenarios. Of course, there's always the subject of negotiation on the car, too.

I use cargurus for my price research

On the car, I had a 2010 that I got in 2009 when they came out, and wouldn't likely do it again. It gave me trouble at 100k miles, I've mentioned here it needed a new transmission for one, and had some other engine things going on.

My best friend has a GMC, not the Acadia, but the next size SUV down from that and she also had to have a new transmission at about 100,000. She has been pretty disappointed in the reliability of hers.

Thanks for the input y'all! As much as I like the car and it checks off most, if not all, of my boxes I'm going to have to definitely think about it more. I'll probably end up passing on it though. With the known transmission problems and the other problems I found while searching yesterday, it seems like too much of a gamble. Which makes me sad. :(

Thanks for the input y'all! As much as I like the car and it checks off most, if not all, of my boxes I'm going to have to definitely think about it more. I'll probably end up passing on it though. With the known transmission problems and the other problems I found while searching yesterday, it seems like too much of a gamble. Which makes me sad. :(
Glad you were able to do some searching. If your current car is still going without needing some work, it will give you some time to find the best car for you at the best price. On the box checking, one thing I had on my list was the remote start, because I was used to it with my last car. But, my current one doesn't have it, took some getting used to but now used to it. I could put one in, but not planning on it.

Glad you were able to do some searching. If your current car is still going without needing some work, it will give you some time to find the best car for you at the best price. On the box checking, one thing I had on my list was the remote start, because I was used to it with my last car. But, my current one doesn't have it, took some getting used to but now used to it. I could put one in, but not planning on it.
I don't have it on my car currently, so it's not like it's a must have item for me, but it is something that I do want. If whatever car I end up with doesn't already have it, i'll probably add it on depending on cost. My car does need some work. I have a small coolant leak coming from my car and it needs to be fixed. But I haven't price checked to see what it will cost me. Even with this small fix and whatever other things may pop up since it's an 06, I will be getting a new car sometime in the soonish future. My plan is to get a new car and give this one back to my dad to use until it dies.

I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox and it's almost at 140K. Standard with no bells or whistles. It had one issue with burning oil, but that was a recall that was fixed. I love this car and am already sad about the day I have to give it up. Will probably move to a Honda Pilot, as my mom has one and I am sold on not only how it handles, but the resale value. We still have our 1993 Civic, as it is the "starter" car for the kids until they buy their own.

I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox and it's almost at 140K. Standard with no bells or whistles. It had one issue with burning oil, but that was a recall that was fixed. I love this car and am already sad about the day I have to give it up. Will probably move to a Honda Pilot, as my mom has one and I am sold on not only how it handles, but the resale value. We still have our 1993 Civic, as it is the "starter" car for the kids until they buy their own.

I've been looking into the equinox, but i'd probably go with the traverse if I want with a chevy. They are nice looking cars. I don't really want the Pilot since my SIL/BIL have one. They are also one of the reasons I don't want a Rav4, the other two reasons being my BIL/BIL has one, and it's smaller than I want lol. Petty? Maybe a little, but that's just too many of the same kinds of cars in one family for me haha.

I've been looking into the equinox, but i'd probably go with the traverse if I want with a chevy. They are nice looking cars. I don't really want the Pilot since my SIL/BIL have one. They are also one of the reasons I don't want a Rav4, the other two reasons being my BIL/BIL has one, and it's smaller than I want lol. Petty? Maybe a little, but that's just too many of the same kinds of cars in one family for me haha.
My oldest bought a Rav4. GREAT car.

My parents have a Traverse and they LOVE it. Lots of space, it drives nicely, and it fits our big family. Haven't had any major issues with it, and they've had it since 2011 I believe.

I have a 2003 Lexus RX suv, bought in 2005 - only been in the shop twice. Now we'll never own anything else, most reliable car we've ever owned. Has almost 157,000 miles on it and still drives great (I don't drive as much as other people probably), and everything in it still works like the day we bought it. I will probably keep it until it dies (at least 5 more years?) so we've been saving to buy our next car in cash since that's what we did with this one. Granted, the only way we can do that is to save for years, lol, but worth it! Will definitely buy used (by a year or 2 most) but Lexus has a "certified" program (I think other brands do, too) that we used last time - it was great and they really stand behind it.

I have a 2003 Lexus RX suv, bought in 2005 - only been in the shop twice. Now we'll never own anything else, most reliable car we've ever owned. Has almost 157,000 miles on it and still drives great (I don't drive as much as other people probably), and everything in it still works like the day we bought it. I will probably keep it until it dies (at least 5 more years?) so we've been saving to buy our next car in cash since that's what we did with this one. Granted, the only way we can do that is to save for years, lol, but worth it! Will definitely buy used (by a year or 2 most) but Lexus has a "certified" program (I think other brands do, too) that we used last time - it was great and they really stand behind it.
Lexus from what I read are good quality, and I'd expect that. I had my last car paid in cash from the get go, but I didn't save for a replacement car while I had it, and wasn't quite that ready to replace, thinking I'd get just a bit more time out of it. To be a little more transparent, we did save extra in nonretirement the whole time between cars, but allocated it under a house purchase and final move fund and still leaving that intact.
Definitely a great car! My first car was a RAV 4. It lasted me for 10 years and over 200k miles.

I do prefer the space in the Highlander.
I like the Highlander, too, as I was looking for a car with third row seating at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter