Dec 2018

Any recommendations / advice will be greatly appreciated! ⛺

As I told my DS when we were there in July, don't try or expect to see it all, impossible to do. I would agree with making a resort loop, Contemporary has a chocolate carousel I believe, and yes, grand Floridian for the Gingerbread house. Epcot, Santa and Mrs Claus for the kids. Have fun!!

As for site size, ours is a 35' fifth wheel, had plenty of room around and in front of camper with tow vehicle.

We have two "traditional" trips each year. A spring trip on our DVC points and a "first week after Thanksgiving" trip to FWCG. As stated the weather is usually perfect but pack for cool nights as they are possible. One positive about December weather is the threat of literally daily thunderstorms are reduced from spring and summer times. It did rain on our MVMCP two years ago but not enough to slow us down. Most sources show the first two weeks of December as "off peak" times. Most have been for Thanksgiving OR are waiting for Christmas. The campground being full is normal for December as there are many who stay for several weeks during that time. That being said, it does not relate to packed parks.

Christmas will be in full swing and you will want to reserve some time for enjoying all the decorations. We spent one full day last year touring as many resorts as we could get to. Each resort is decked out for Christmas but themed for it's decor. You can spend hours just touring the campground. If you do, you may see us lol. We are there from the 1st to the 8th and will be decorated for the occasion. If you haven't already planned it, go to a MVMCP. It is worth the money and the kids will love it. It is truly magical.

Thank you! So looking forward to this trip !!! Do you have any site or loop recommendations for a Preferred camping site ? We will be renting a RV . Looking forward to riding the golf cart around and also the boat to magic kingdom ! Thanks again for your comments !

If this map is accurate "preferred" would put you in the 100, 200 or 300 loop. Very convenient to the marina, Trails End restaurant and the Settlement trading post (store). Short ride / walk to the Meadow's pool area. There are youtube videos out there that show golf cart ride through's of each loop. Just my opinion, the 100 loop is both small and directly adjacent to the main path (walking and carts) to the marina and food. It gets very busy at times so I would go for 200 or 300.

FWCG map.jpg FWCG 123.JPG

Thank you! So looking forward to this trip !!! Do you have any site or loop recommendations for a Preferred camping site ? We will be renting a RV . Looking forward to riding the golf cart around and also the boat to magic kingdom ! Thanks again for your comments !

You can see by my signature that I have stayed in 100 many times in recent years. It's our preferred Preferred loop - short walk to everything just about other than Meadow TP/pool/campfire. I stayed in 200 once when a 100 site was not available when I arrived - it was okay. Got bumped out of a requested 100 site to 400 once (Premium). It was okay - wished I was in 100 still. Personally I like sites on the outside of a circle rather than one inside but that's a personal preference. Since you are renting, it's a little more outside of your direct control. So I would say either 100 or 200 would be fine.

The map posted is a little out of date because it doesn't show the current status of 2100 but that's not material to this question.

Loop 300 is also a Preferred but it is a primary pet loop which is a primary draw to travelers with pets (right next to the dog walk area).

I like the action in 100. Wagon and carriage rides go by in the evenings. The boat whistles are loud and distinct and even a steam whistle can be heard when the wind blows the right way. If you have a refillable mug, the TE Takeout location and P&J's is closest to 100.

There is nothing wrong with 100 (your vendor will place your trailer so normally some tight sites are not your problem).

Bama Ed

I know this sounds like a crazy question but are there ever any alligators in the canals in Fort Wilderness?
I know it's probably possible since we are in Florida

Dec. is our favorite time of year to go. You can spend hours on the golf cart looking at decorations. They do have some spectacular displays.
Weather is all over the board. It could be freezing at night and in the 80's during the day.
As far as the canals and gators, it's Fl so, any body of water could have one.

I know this sounds like a crazy question but are there ever any alligators in the canals in Fort Wilderness?
I know it's probably possible since we are in Florida

Yes, there are! Not all the time in any given area, of course, and usually not really large ones sighted, but they can be there.

I am from LA and brought up to be very aware of gators and snakes. Personally, we will not camp next to the canals for that reason, but know I am the exception, not the rule!! :) I just have a very real fear of both, and will not intentionally even look at either - even pictures!!
Irrational? Certainly!! :)

I kinda thought about staying away from the canals ! Now you confirmed my decision! Not going to camp near then for that reason! Thanks for your advice !

If anyone from this December thread happens to be able to fill the missing DECEMBER gap for the travelling firepit and could help us out, that would be great:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/a...d-2-try-it-again.3705137/page-5#post-59918957
@AngelaDeeDee, As @DisneyMommyMichelle has pointed out above, we are looking for someone to be the caretaker of The Traveling Fire Pit during December. If you could help us out it would be greatly appreciated

you are allowed to bring food into the parks, as long as it is a small to medium soft side cooler/lunch bag. We packed lunch each day so that we could eat as soon as the kids were hungry and not wait for reservations or a line. We ate dinner in the parks.
I plan on doing the same this time, except since we are camping, I'll have some crockpot lunches and we will return to the camper for lunch or early dinner because we will likely stay for all the night time magic hours because we discovered last time we like to sleep in and then stay up later.

Oh- and Pop Century is AWESOME :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!