December 2017 Car Rental Watch

I just rebooked my Alamo rental, changed from a minivan to a premium crossover (says 7 passenger, which we need) and saved $15 (Dec. 6th-10th). Every little bit helps and we've never used Alamo here so hopefully it goes well.

My total with fees for a Standard from Costco/Alamo is $239 for Dec 15-23, booked back in July. I've checked pretty regularly and haven't seen it go down. In fact, my taxes went up. My email confirmation has one tax amount, and I when I view the ressie online the taxes are about $20 higher. Base rate is unchanged. I'm guessing this is outside of Alamo's control, but has anyone else noticed this? I just reshopped with Expedia, etc. and rates were much much higher so I think I'm stuck at this point.

I just rebooked my Alamo rental, changed from a minivan to a premium crossover (says 7 passenger, which we need) and saved $15 (Dec. 6th-10th). Every little bit helps and we've never used Alamo here so hopefully it goes well.

I use Alamo all the time, they're great!

Keep checking. My rates went down $10 today, then went up again later in the day! I'm down to $187 for a Standard size for 8 days, and since there is no Standard aisle at MCO it'll be a Full size.

AD2834JFA

(Not sure if this Alamo coupon code has been posted yet.) I received an e-mail from Alamo with a coupon for $25 off if the base rate is more than $175/week. Any size car.
The fine print:
  • Offer valid at participating Alamo locations in the United States and Canada

• Valid now through 2/15/2018

• Five day minimum, eleven day maximum

• Valid for rentals on any car size
Terms & Conditions
Offer discount applies to base rate charge (time and mileage) and does not apply to applicable taxes, fees, surcharges, youthful driver, additional driver, or one way charges or any optional product or service (such as optional damage waiver of $30 or less per day), which are the responsibility of the Renter.

$25 off a minimum five (5) day, maximum eleven (11) day, rental in which the base rate charge (exclusive of applicable taxes (including GST), fees, surcharges, refueling, drop-off, delivery, youthful driver, additional driver, or pickup charges or one-way charges or any optional products or services such as damage waiver and liability protection) is at least $175. Valid for rentals on any size car now through February 15, 2018, unless a longer period is required by law. 24-hour advance reservation required. Offer valid at participating Alamo locations in the United States and Canada. Not valid in Manhattan, NY and Stamford, CT. Renter and additional driver(s) must meet standard age, driver and credit requirements. This offer cannot be combined with any other coupon and it is not valid for one-way, open, or previous rentals. Standard rental qualifications apply. In the U.S., check your auto policy and/or credit card agreement for rental vehicle coverage. Subject to availability. This offer may change without notice and is void where prohibited. Coupon subject to blackout periods, including holidays and other dates and times. Coupons are limited by pickup date, location, and car type. Void where prohibited. Coupon is not exchangeable, refundable, transferable or redeemable for cash. Must present original coupon at time of rental. Cash value 1/100¢. ©2016 Alamo Rent A Car. All rights reserved.

Thanks, unfortunately (or fortunately, LOL!) my base rate is now well below $175, so none of the coupons out there will work. I actually ended up switching over to Budget through Costco, they are now cheaper than Alamo for me. Down to $187, I suspect that's the lowest it's going to go now. Not bad for 8 days, but a lot higher than I'm used to for early December.

My Alamo reservation dropped a bit today. We are picking up in TPA and dropping off at PIE Dec. 16-22. Changed to an intermediate SUV today for $181.

I just rebooked my mini van using Costco contract ID and a $25 off coupon. Started this journey at $348. Now down to $286.71! My goal was to get it under $300 for 12/2 to 12/11. WooHoo!!
How did you manage to use a coupon on the Costco site, I don't see a place for it. My mini van is booked with them as well, but for more. Will you share the coupon code number and explain how to enter the code and contract ID? Thank you!

How did you manage to use a coupon on the Costco site, I don't see a place for it. My mini van is booked with them as well, but for more. Will you share the coupon code number and explain how to enter the code and contract ID? Thank you!

I think when you do it on the Costco site it is automatically applied but I know there is costco coupons you can get and book through the car rental sites. Someone correct me if I am wrong

Just noticed UndercoverTourist's prices (with no coupon) tend to be between $5 - $15 less than the Alamo.com prices (with the $25 off coupons added). You do have to add a ticket to your cart to get pricing and a reservation though. Also, if using an american express card, check their offers as there is one for spend $100 or more at Uncercovertourist and get a credit for $20.

Final note: one way rentals on Alamo.com are down to about 1/3rd of what they've been showing as of late (from $700 down to $220), but extremely dependent on day and time of drop off for me.

Last edited:

I didn't book through the Costco site. I booked through Alamo. Added the coupon code and the contract ID for Costco under the 'codes' button. Forget what it's actually called. It's near the bottom of the reservation screen.

I was trying to do online checkin..... can't seem to add the extra driver...just keeps spinning...anyone else having a problem with Alamo website?

I have a premium SUV from Budget and Alamo. The budget one is $387 with a car seat added. The Alamo is $401 with the car seat added. Alamo has skip the counter which I love but think with a car seat I will have to go to the counter. I know Alamo also lets you pick your vehicle too which I am not sure how much options would actually exists for this class. Budget says it seats 7 and Alamo says it seats 8. Would you pay the extra $14 for the convenience of skip the counter? I am a Budget Fast Break Member also but I usually use different credit cards then the one on file.

I have a premium SUV from Budget and Alamo. The budget one is $387 with a car seat added. The Alamo is $401 with the car seat added. Alamo has skip the counter which I love but think with a car seat I will have to go to the counter. I know Alamo also lets you pick your vehicle too which I am not sure how much options would actually exists for this class. Budget says it seats 7 and Alamo says it seats 8. Would you pay the extra $14 for the convenience of skip the counter? I am a Budget Fast Break Member also but I usually use different credit cards then the one on file.
I like being able to skip the counter and pick my own vehicle as I want one with low mileage, a proper remote key and absolutely no funky smells, particularly Febreze and smoke which are both allergy triggers.

Last edited:
well I finally got the site to work today (and avoid the counter!) using Chrome browser I had to shut off my protective filter to get anything to work, it wouldn't work on firefox yesterday either.....

Last night through autoslash andpriceline I found Budget deals for $60 less than my existing reservations, for Dec 16-25.

I have a question regarding multiple reservations. I currently have 2 reservations for Alamo through Costco (one for a standard car, one for an intermediate SUV). We are 2 adults and 2 children. We normally rent a minivan, but the price is way too high (pick up December 31). I'm wondering if I can keep both reservations, until I see what is in the lot in each aisle and then cancel. Has anyone done this (cancelled a reservation the day of pick up)? I'd prefer to get the biggest car for the lowest price (e.g. if an SUV or minivan happens to be in the full size car aisle), so I'm afraid to keep just one of the reservations. With my luck, I'd pay for the SUV, and there would be SUVs or minivans in the full size aisle...

I have a question regarding multiple reservations. I currently have 2 reservations for Alamo through Costco (one for a standard car, one for an intermediate SUV). We are 2 adults and 2 children. We normally rent a minivan, but the price is way too high (pick up December 31). I'm wondering if I can keep both reservations, until I see what is in the lot in each aisle and then cancel. Has anyone done this (cancelled a reservation the day of pick up)? I'd prefer to get the biggest car for the lowest price (e.g. if an SUV or minivan happens to be in the full size car aisle), so I'm afraid to keep just one of the reservations. With my luck, I'd pay for the SUV, and there would be SUVs or minivans in the full size aisle...

I did something sort of similar in the past. I wasn't able to cancel the reservation the day of once I was after the pick up time. The website wouldn't recognize the second reservation. I wasn't penalized in any way but I am not sure how I would have used that reservation.

I do car reservations all the time and sometimes book multiple type of cars for same days and different days and admit I am guilty of not cancelling them many times and have never been penalized at all. I recommend going to the garage and taking a look. If you see a van in the standard car I would have an adult stay there and hold it and if someone else comes up just say there was a problem with the paper work and we are waiting for help. Just always tell them the reservation you want to use when you return to the desk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!