December 2020

grantclaire

DIS Veteran
Hi, we are going to spend Christmas in Orlando this year, Air Canada has flights released for over the holidays. They are higher than last year( I expected them to be higher!) Waiting for WestJet to release as I will use up a companion fare and WJ dollars.

I am finding that AC prices are ridiculously high in general. I don't understand their pricing since it is one of the worst airlines I've ever flown, but I am looking at flights for next fall/winter and the prices are insane.

I agree, I usually check them out to compare prices. AC seems to have some better flights to MCO if you are flying from the West.

I just booked ours for the first week of December. Going down was $357 and coming back we used air miles, but if we have bought with cash the returns were around $350. Both are Air Canada direct flights from Halifax.

I am going during the school break Dec. 19-29. It’s going to be expensive! Since it’s snow season, AC has more flights for contingency plans if weather is not cooperative. Planning to use Airmiles to get the flights. I am worried about but having enough miles. Still waiting for the return flight to open up for booking. Pixie dust!!

Don’t forget to look at booking one way flights as well. Sometimes it can be cheaper or there are different flight times that might not be showing in the return options.

Don’t forget to look at booking one way flights as well. Sometimes it can be cheaper or there are different flight times that might not be showing in the return options.
Yes, I may have to do that. Having two separate reservations worries me. DD and I have enough miles on each of our own cards to buy one return flight for sure but may not have enough for two return flights. I would definitely consider one way options to make sure we are under one reservation for each leg.

Last edited:

I booked last night! Tuesday Dec 22nd to Tuesday Dec 29th. Direct from Toronto to Orlando. First flight was 740.00 -100.00 WJDollars =640.00 return. Second flight was a companion fare 99.00 plus taxes which came to 240.00 return. Not cheap by any means but still in my price range.

I am going down to Disney to get a bit of Christmas magic too,,,:santa:
I booked the the flight down last week at $497.00(including Taxes & fees) (direct) and last night was able to snag a (Members Exclusive) fight back for $125.00 including Taxes & fees) (direct),,,. So total $623.00,,not bad. Booking one way fares always makes me nervous but it worked out good this time.
Now the Christmas planning begins.

To compare this is what Air Canada was for my times and dates:

View Price Breakdown1 adult
Air Transportation Charges739.98
Taxes, fees and charges163.98
GRAND TOTAL - Canadian dollars ( )$ 903 .96

Hugs
Mel

Last edited:
I am going down to Disney to get a bit of Christmas magic too,,,:santa:
I booked the the flight down last week at $497.00(including Taxes & fees) (direct) and last night was able to snag a (Members Exclusive) fight back for $125.00 including Taxes & fees) (direct),,,. So total $623.00,,not bad. Booking one way fares always makes me nervous but it worked out good this time.
Now the Christmas planning begins.

To compare this is what Air Canada was for my times and dates:

View Price Breakdown1 adult
Air Transportation Charges739.98
Taxes, fees and charges163.98
GRAND TOTAL - Canadian dollars ( )$ 903 .96

Hugs
Mel
Good work! It is always a nice feeling to get the flights booked! Looking at accomdations and car rentals now.

We wound up booking AC for our Christmas trip. We were able to get direct flights from Ottawa/Orlando return. Westjet offered a direct flight on the way down but not the way back.

We booked AC Comfort Economy on the way to Orlando and Business Class on the way back . Westjet offered only connecting flights for both legs and even with the WJ card companion fare the price was close enough that made the AC flights more appealing.

within Canada I can see the value of the WJ flights but if they can't muster direct flights from Ottawa to major tourist hubs in FL at Christmas the WJ card/companion flight isn't worth paying for going forward. I think if WJ only view flights from major hubs as worth their effort we'll jettison the card (and WJ quite frankly.)

HI, Westjet has released Jan 6,7,8,9 for flights to MCO, but not the end of December and first part of Jan. Kinda of strange?

There just never seems to be a rhyme or reason for the way they (WJ) release flights,,,drives me crazy.
Now the wait for March 2021 flights starts for me.

Hugs
Mel

I agree, I usually check them out to compare prices. AC seems to have some better flights to MCO if you are flying from the West.
Flying from the West (wet) Coast I prefer Alaska. They have 2 non stop flights a day out of Seattle so we either take their YVR connection to SeaTac or drive to Seattle. Love Alaska. They never change your flight on you or cancel flights. Unlike AC. Once I was checked thru on AC, everything was good, until I landed in Toronto. Looked up on the board to see what gate connection was and said Canceled :sad2: Went to AC desk, what a gong show. At first agent said I may not get out today. Ugh. Several other mishaps on AC, I’ll never fly them again if I can help it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter