Deck Parties, Etc. A thing of the past?

Ila Sikorski

Mouseketeer
I know there's a lot of talk about *when* cruising will resume and while I'm also impatiently waiting I'm also wondering..I'm assuming they will have restrictions and protocols in place for a plan to reopen and get those ships out there. But are those restrictions and protocols forever?
I know to some the Sail Away Parties, See Ya Real Soon, Pirate Nights, etc, are not deal breakers but I can't help but be heartbroken thinking this is the new permanent future of cruising.

Just looking for fellow DCL fans' thoughts!

Honestly almost everything that makes a Disney Cruise a DISNEY cruise will probably not be possible during the pandemic: deck parties, live shows, character greetings. Just basing that off of the entertainment that WDW has scrapped.

I don’t see all those things going away permanently though because a lot of people wouldn’t pay the DCL premium without them.

My two opinions about Sail A Wave , the deck parties and See You Real Soon

1. Ticketed to control numbers. In one of the China / Japan parks right now they have squares marked out on the ground for each family / party for the shows. So during online check in you would get a ticket.
  2. The shows would be on the TV in your room
Option 2 could be on its own or as well as the limited capacity live event.

I'm also thinking the same for the theatre and cinema.

People are going to have to accept that the cruising experience they had before is gone. The ships will be back but the experience will change.

It may mean that huge amounts of Platinum and Gold cruisers choose not to return for what they perceive as a lesser experience.

Which in turn would allow a lot more Silver and first timers experience things they would have been previously been blocked out of.

They may be temporarily eliminated, but there is virtually no chance IMO they are gone forever.

All depends on when sailings resume.

Really hoping this is right! Hate seeing “what you knew before is gone forever.” But that’s because I loved cruising before. Heck, I was JUST on the Disney Dream in February.

1. Ticketed to control numbers. In one of the China / Japan parks right now they have squares marked out on the ground for each family / party for the shows. So during online check in you would get a ticket.

People are going to have to accept that the cruising experience they had before is gone. The ships will be back but the experience will change.

It may mean that huge amounts of Platinum and Gold cruisers choose not to return for what they perceive as a lesser experience.

Which in turn would allow a lot more Silver and first timers experience things they would have been previously been blocked out of.

They already do free tickets for things like character breakfasts, princess meet and greets, etc so I could totally see you having to reserve a ticket for the sail away party or something like that. Will they do it? Idk but imo definitely not out of the realm of possibility

We have accepted that the DCL experience isn't going to be what we fell in love with and have started to seriously look at other cruise lines. I know changes will also occur with those companies but since we've never cruised on any of them before, we won't know the difference. We'll know the difference on DCL and unless DCL drops their prices signficantly, which I don't think will happen, the other companies are looking better and better. Time will tell.

Honestly almost everything that makes a Disney Cruise a DISNEY cruise will probably not be possible during the pandemic: deck parties, live shows, character greetings. Just basing that off of the entertainment that WDW has scrapped.

I don’t see all those things going away permanently though because a lot of people wouldn’t pay the DCL premium without them.

I can see DCL permanently eliminating some events if they don't receive much negative feedback. Now is the perfect time for the DCL bean counters to try things they normally wouldn't.

Disney World still has some live entertainment with audiences in theaters--the main reason for the reduction in live shows is that the actor's equity union and Disney can't come to an agreement on union members. But the disney junior event at HS is indoors led by non-equity CMS for example, and we were able to do other shows without live actors indoors in theaters but with CMs present in the room during the show (muppets, country bears, tiki room etc, the circle vision shows at epcot). So I think some shows in the walt disney theater would work, especially for non-face characters like Mickey and friends who effectively have masks built into their costumes, or musicians who can play musical instruments while wearing masks (love the violinist we saw on the fantasy last year, for example).

For deck parties, if they space out folks with markers, and have multiple shows that you have to get a ticket for to split up guests over several shows, again I think it could work, and is even better than the theater because it is outdoors. Fireworks I'm sure will be gone because too costly to do multiple times for a reduced crowd, but I could see them doing sail away or the mickey pirate show.

For deck parties, if they space out folks with markers, and have multiple shows that you have to get a ticket for to split up guests over several shows, again I think it could work, and is even better than the theater because it is outdoors. Fireworks I'm sure will be gone because too costly to do multiple times for a reduced crowd, but I could see them doing sail away or the mickey pirate show.

I know we would be a family that would be devastated by the permanent loss of fireworks if that were to happen.

Disney World still has some live entertainment with audiences in theaters--the main reason for the reduction in live shows is that the actor's equity union and Disney can't come to an agreement on union members. But the disney junior event at HS is indoors led by non-equity CMS for example, and we were able to do other shows without live actors indoors in theaters but with CMs present in the room during the show (muppets, country bears, tiki room etc, the circle vision shows at epcot). So I think some shows in the walt disney theater would work, especially for non-face characters like Mickey and friends who effectively have masks built into their costumes, or musicians who can play musical instruments while wearing masks (love the violinist we saw on the fantasy last year, for example).

This is correct. It is not that hard to socially distance in a theater. The actor's equity union is a big reason about the lack of WDW shows rn.

I think it is very feasible to do multiple shows, especially in the main theatre. They have done matinees in the past. And you don't need to cater every single cruiser on every single cruise because there are a lot of CC members who know what they like and dislike about Disney Cruise Line.

I feel like that it may take a little while for things to get back to "normal" but I feel like that gradually the DCL we all know and love will come back. I think some things could be permanent, such as maybe making reservations for more things than just the tastings, free character meets, etc. that they currently offer, but there is no doubt in my mind that sometime in the future we will all be able to do the same activities.

And honestly, if I have to make a reservation to go see a show that's not a huge deal. Cruising is a low key vacation, but I still love to plan plan plan!

And who knows. This is all speculation. I don't have a crystal ball. None of us do. Only time will tell.

The actor's equity union is a big reason about the lack of WDW shows rn.

Because it is hard to socially distance on a stage. So that's a significant issue for any performance.

I would expect any early reboot entertainment to be soloists - your standard issue filler comedians and vetriloquists and the like.

Because it is hard to socially distance on a stage. So that's a significant issue for any performance.

I would expect any early reboot entertainment to be soloists - your standard issue filler comedians and vetriloquists and the like.
Well, but the princesses are not socially distanced in their (maskless) cavalcades at the parks either. Nor are mariachi cobre when they are singing together. I expect they rely on monitoring for symptoms before coming into to work. Not ideal from a CM safety standpoint but the real risk is From the guests, not coworkers—especially on a ship where the crew are together all the time anyway.

"Forever" is a long time. I don't know when or if those particular activities will return, but if they don't, something else will take their place.

My interpretation of OPs real question is "will we be avoiding crowds forever", and I think the answer to that is an unequivocal "no". Individuals may choose to avoid crowded situations going forward, but the crowds will come back.

Heck, I would take off my mask and mingle in a crowd tomorrow if public health guidelines allowed it. I don't think I'm alone in that, and maybe not even in the minority. Once the fear passes and the dust settles - however long that takes - life will mostly go back to pre-COVID normal.

"Forever" is a long time. I don't know when or if those particular activities will return, but if they don't, something else will take their place.

My interpretation of OPs real question is "will we be avoiding crowds forever", and I think the answer to that is an unequivocal "no". Individuals may choose to avoid crowded situations going forward, but the crowds will come back.

Heck, I would take off my mask and mingle in a crowd tomorrow if public health guidelines allowed it. I don't think I'm alone in that, and maybe not even in the minority. Once the fear passes and the dust settles - however long that takes - life will mostly go back to pre-COVID normal.

I’m leaning towards agreeing with you. I have felt some sort of shift in things within the past two weeks even, I think I would be comfortable with getting on a plane, and heading on a vacation tomorrow with my family if deemed acceptable. I’m hoping by end of January we’ll see things return to some sense of pre-COVID life.

Well, if you don't have actors, then you cannot even cross the bridge of "can we do this safely". It's either that or have outside performers like you mentioned

If they had the performers at WDW then they could consider putting on the stage shows. They seem to have the social distancing stickers in place for some of the shows

With a lower capacity (50-60% full) maybe DCL can add more performances or space people out for inside shows or single events held up top...but, what about the Safety Drill??
Unless they do it in shifts, or cabin by cabin somehow, it will be a challenge. This will be an issue for all cruise lines.
I am sure all buffet food will be served to you, no more handling food as you pick the best item.
Photo ops with characters??? Maybe they will have cutouts of the princesses and critters. I will truly miss the hug, or the tap on the shoulder by Captain Hook (did this to my wife and she jumped 2 feet).
I am assuming that the first DCL cruises will get off in December of this year. Even if it is early next year it will be very interesting to read the trip reports about how the Mouse copes with all the new rules and regs. We have three scheduled for next year and are willing to wear a mask most places on the ship if directed. Maybe a gift on our bed of an array of 5 Disney masks will make wearing the darn facial hammock bearable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter