Delta Airlines to start doing background checks on all passengers....

sgtdisney

DIS Veteran
I just saw this today and didn't know if it was old news or not. But it looks like Delta will be the first airline to start doing background checks on all passengers and assigning a risk level to them? I guess it is a good thing in light of what happened on 9/11/01, but it also smacks a little of Big Brother. If it makes the skies safer though I suppose it is worth the intrusion.. Here is the article I saw..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,79849,00.html

Feds to Begin Background Checks for Air Passengers

Thursday, February 27, 2003

WASHINGTON — The government is getting ready to test a new risk-detection system that would check background information and assign a threat level to everyone who buys a ticket for a commercial flight.

The system, ordered by Congress after the Sept. 11 attacks, will gather much more information on passengers. Delta Air Lines will try it out at three airports beginning next month, and a comprehensive system could be in place by the end of the year.

Transportation officials say a contractor will be picked soon to build the nationwide computer system, which will check such things as credit reports and bank account activity and compare passenger names with those on government watch lists.

Advocates say the system will weed out dangerous people while ensuring law-abiding citizens aren't given unnecessary scrutiny.

Critics see a potential for unconstitutional invasions of privacy and for database mix-ups that could lead to innocent people being branded security risks.

There also is concern that the government is developing the system without revealing how information will be gathered and how long it will be kept.

"We may be creating a massive surveillance system without public discussion," said Barry Steinhardt, an American Civil Liberties Union director.

Transportation officials say CAPPS II — Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening System — will use databases that already operate in line with privacy laws and won't profile based on race, religion or ethnicity.

"What it does is have very fast access to existing databases so we can quickly validate the person's identity," Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta said.

An oversight panel, which will include a member of the public, is being formed. And the Transportation Security Administration will set up procedures to resolve complaints by people who say they don't belong on the watch lists.

Transportation Department spokesman Chet Lunner said a Federal Register notice about CAPPS II that said the background information will be stored for 50 years is inaccurate. He said such information will be held only for people deemed security risks.

Jay Stanley, an ACLU spokesman, was skeptical.

"When it says in print, 50 years, we'd like to see something else in print to counter that," he said.

Airlines already do rudimentary checks of information the passenger supplies, such as method of payment, address and when the ticket was reserved. The system was developed by Northwest Airlines in the early 1990s to spot possible hijackers.

Unusual behavior, such as purchasing a one-way ticket with cash, is supposed to prompt increased scrutiny at the airport.

Capt. Steve Luckey, an airline pilot who helped develop the system, said CAPPS II will help identify a passenger's possible intentions before he gets on a plane.

Unlike the current system, in which data stays with the airlines' reservation systems, the new setup will be managed by TSA. Only government officials with proper security clearance will be able to use it.

CAPPS II will collect data and rate each passenger's risk potential according to a three-color system: green, yellow, red. When travelers check in, their names will be punched into the system and the boarding passes encrypted with the ranking. TSA screeners will check the passes at checkpoints.

The vast majority of passengers will be rated green and won't be subjected to anything more than normal checks, while yellow will get extra screening and red won't fly.

Paul Hudson, executive director of the Aviation Consumer Action Project, which advocates airline safety and security, is skeptical the system will work.

"The whole track record of profiling is a very poor to mixed one," Hudson said, noting profiles of the Unabomber and the Washington-area snipers were wrong.

Nine to 11 of the 19 hijackers on Sept. 11 were flagged by CAPPS, but weren't searched because the system gave a pass to passengers who didn't check their bags, Hudson said. People without checked bags now are included.

Two other post-Sept. 11 efforts by other federal agencies to gather information on private citizens encountered roadblocks.

Operation TIPS, a Justice Department initiative to encourage citizens to report suspicious activities, was shelved last year because of widespread opposition.

Similar privacy concerns prompted Congress to cut off funding for the Pentagon's Total Information Awareness, which would mine government and commercial databases to identify potential terrorists. Lawmakers want the Defense Department to come up with better oversight policies.

Well seeing that Congress ordered it, Delta is the first to bring the system on-line.

Don't know how I feel, but seeing that the I work at an airport the government already knows what they need to know about me anyway. :rolleyes: And if they're looking at my bank accounts and credit, they are going to notice that an awful lot of money goes toward Disney. I wonder how that would work into the equation.

Seriously though, it sounds like something they could go overboard with, especially this day and age where indentities are so easily stolen.

Hey Miss Jasmine, how have you been?! Yes, it looks like all the airlines will be implementing this sooner or later since it has been mandated by Congress. If it makes the skies safer.. You have a point about identity theft though, it is really reaching epidemic proportions as of late... Kind of Scary..

I think it goes too far. They do not need to know how much money I have or how many parking tickets I may have! That is my personal right to privacy!

While I understand the need to set aside my personal privacy to allow searches of my personal items that I am putting on the airplane, they do not need to look at my personal information. If they were only talking about cross-checking my name & address with known threat lists, I would understand. If they were going to have strictly enforced quidelines to prevent abuse of my personal information, then I might understand.

As we have seen in another thread (recently) about personal belongings becoming missing and absolutely nobody being held accountable, I certainly don't want anybody to know my account numbers and spending habits without the ability to protect myself from the abuse of a privilege.

Remember, in an ideal world, all workers would be honest. We live in a real world, not an ideal one.

My problem is with my personal info being available.

i dont like it. and when they start doing this i will start driving instead of flying. there is NO reason why they need to see my banking info or how much i owe my credit card company! i also dont see how this will prevent a terrorist from boarding a plane.

Just playing devil's advocate here...seriously...:teeth:

All kinds of interesting information can come from a bank account and credit report check. Wow that person just got a deposit of $50,000 from this strange company. Hmmm there have been some interesting items ordered on this credit card.

Okay so chances are a "real terrorist" would do more to cover his/her tracks. But I get a feeling that's what they are looking for.

Wrong? Right ? I don't know. It could go either way.

What I am not clear on is this.. How do they gather this background information? As it is now the airlines don't ask for your driver's license, SSN or any other information from you when you buy a ticket... Can they do a background check based on your credit card number? And if they do that, who's to say that say Joe Smith charges a plane ticket for Jane Doe. How do they run a check on Jane Doe. You are right Miss Jasmine, there is a lot of stuff I suppose they could find on a credit check that is a red flag but isn't a lot of that considered personal. It is strange that people are 'allowing' this but do not allow profiling... What it does seem is this issue is not a matter of if, but a matter of when since this has been passed by our government.

Not a problem with me. Work for the USG and background checks are the norm in our area. If it keeps me safer in the air, I'm all for it.

I have nothing to hide, and while my bank accounts and credit history are personal, anyone with a little know how can get them.
If it keeps people safer in the air, then go for it.
If we don't like it then we need to contact our congressmen, they mandated it.

I for one really like the idea of background checks. This is a new world we are living in since 9/11, and things must change if we want to be safe. This may mean giving up a little of our privacy.

I have absolutely nothing to hide. I've already been fingerprinted and background checked to work in a school system, so what the heck.

I'm certain the information will be kept confidential. And as far as not wanting anyone to know our spending histories, bank account information or credit reports, as Gail said, anyone with a little know how can get it. Let's face it, just by being on the internet we are possibly subjecting ourselves to being watched or traced.

If it makes the skies safer, I'm all for it!!!!:):):)

:sunny::bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :sunny:

One thing about this really bothers me --

Transportation officials say CAPPS II — Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening System — will use databases that already operate in line with privacy laws and won't profile based on race, religion or ethnicity.
I may be flamed for this and I may be setting this thread up to be moved to the Debate Board, but someone needs to say it.

The hijackers on 9/11 ... the terrorists who bombed the USS Cole, the two US embassies in Africa before that, and the WTC in 1993 ... were male Middle Eastern Muslim extremists. I'm not saying that all Middle Eastern Muslims are terrorists, and yes, there are terrorists who are not male, Middle Eastern, or Muslim. But any effort to gather suspicious activity without including this information is a below average effort at best.

Politically incorrect in some eyes? Probably. Realistic viewpoint? I believe so, yes.

will use databases that already operate in line with privacy laws and won't profile based on race, religion or ethnicity.

Matthew, this is just what transportation officials are SAYING, and even if it's on paper, it's not what's going to happen. At least that's what my military brother says. My brothers assures me that the Feds are smarter than that, they know what to tell the public and what not to tell. Certain types of people will be getting more "attention" than others, even if the general public doesn't know about it. I don't know if this is all true, but my brother has known a thing or two in the past about all this going on.

I really think that "red" should mean "search and screen more", and not "won't fly".

There is too much a chance of plain old mistakes in the data base. Passengers should not be denied flying simply on information picked out of a data base, rather there should first be something physical and predictable seen on the passenger or his belongings that is not right.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

To me, it is just one more display of inadequacy.

Obviously, our government is trying to stop tragedies before they happen but how would you feel if you knew you were flying next to a "red" passenger? Would you be in the "red" category if the friend you had dinner with is from Saudi?

It is a fact that the "bad guys" have an enduring ability to slither away escaping or disguising themselves. Today a biggie was reported caught. Triumph, but remember the US was not able to do it without collaboration from Pakistan. So far, the US has been unable to get the leaders on its own and extreme situations often require extreme measures.

At least for now, we do have to be more suspicious than in the past. Visitors should be aware of that and not take it so personal demanding to be trusted. Just for now, we're so sorry but we need more time to go back to that. If you want to visit us or live among us, please understand our concerns and be patient.

So, it is a tough call indeed for everyone involved...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter