Delta skymiles refundable?

Lisa0620

Mouseketeer
We're thinking of getting a Delta Amex for the skymiles bonus. Is booking using skymiles similar to using Southwest points where you can cancel without penalty or rebook if a lower fare comes out? TIA.

Unless you charge a LOT on those airline credit cards & fly a lot with that airline, the miles you get aren't really worth the hassle. You get a free ticket or something similar when you first join, but basically they just want you to have their credit card to make the fees from things you purchase. I have had some of those credit cards in the past and you may not accumulate enough miles for a ticket or upgrade before they expire. If you live in a hub city and mostly fly on one airline, it can be a good deal if you charge enough. However, airlines often merge or relocate hub cities and then the benefit isn't nearly as good as it first seemed.

Having credit cards from multiple airlines is less likely to be of benefit.

The main benefit is the signup bonus. If they don’t charge the fee the first year, it’s worth it. Be sure to cancel when the fee comes up. I had a card on American, they waived the fee the second and third year if I charged the amount of the fee within 3 months. 4th year I called, they would not waive it so I cancelled.

^^ I agree. Ongoing is less of a benefit. If you don't live near and/or often fly from their hub cities, these credit cards probably aren't much of a benefit.

^^ I agree. Ongoing is less of a benefit. If you don't live near and/or often fly from their hub cities, these credit cards probably aren't much of a benefit.
If you fly a lot, you get a free bag and I think upgraded boarding position.

I have the United card and you get a free checked bag and once a year you get 2 passes to the United airport lounge. All of their other perks are the result of flying a LOT of miles. Most other airlines work the same way. Perhaps a business traveler who makes several international trips will accumulate enough miles for those types of perks. Otherwise, these are all just regular credit cards.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter