Delta / Westjet Encore Flights...?

ilovetotravel1977

DIS Veteran
Some flights I have been eyeing are Delta Airlines, but then it says operated by Westjet Encore.

Would we be flying in and out of the Delta or Westjet gates?

I don't want to be dealing with the tram issues at the gates Westjet flights into.

I actually am wondering the same thing. I have a flight back from Orlando that I purchased through Delta operated by WestJet. I will let you know my experience but that won't be until October 2.

You'd be flying Westjet for that leg, so you're going through the Westjet gates. The key here is that it says "operated by Westjet". If it said "operated by X DBA Delta Connection" then you'd be going to the Delta gates.

A good rule of thumb is that the main fleet of any airline has a flight number from the 0000s to 2000s, with regional jets running from the 3000s to 6000s. Code shares with other airlines are 7000s and up. So if you just look at the numbers you'd be able to tell without needing to squint at the "operated by" small print.

(Side note: When I worked at Continental, and flew back to Toronto from IAH, I used to be able to tell which terminal I was flying out of just by looking at these numbers. Kind of sad, really.)

Gah, that sucks. The only positive is the flights connect in Boston, so we'd be considered "Domestic" when coming home.

I actually am wondering the same thing. I have a flight back from Orlando that I purchased through Delta operated by WestJet. I will let you know my experience but that won't be until October 2.

That would be great. We aren't going until February, so it MAY be cleared by then.

You'd be flying Westjet for that leg, so you're going through the Westjet gates. The key here is that it says "operated by Westjet". If it said "operated by X DBA Delta Connection" then you'd be going to the Delta gates.

A good rule of thumb is that the main fleet of any airline has a flight number from the 0000s to 2000s, with regional jets running from the 3000s to 6000s. Code shares with other airlines are 7000s and up. So if you just look at the numbers you'd be able to tell without needing to squint at the "operated by" small print.

(Side note: When I worked at Continental, and flew back to Toronto from IAH, I used to be able to tell which terminal I was flying out of just by looking at these numbers. Kind of sad, really.)

When checking in do we go to the Delta counter or the WestJet counter?

It can vary. I've been on AC codeshare flights where I've had to check in at the United counter, and others where I check in at the AC counter. Your itinerary should (in theory) tell you where to go. And when in doubt, go to the airline you booked with.

After further reading, the Hfx to Boston legs are Westjet Encore, while the Boston to Orlando legs are straight Delta.

OK, that would mean that you check in at Delta at MCO. Not 100% certain about Halifax though.

Do NOT buy Delta tickets on Westjet flights!!! Westjet operates those aircrafts and sells those seats in bulk to Delta, as "codeshare". You will pay Delta but check in with Westjet.

I made that mistake a few years ago. Let me tell you my story.

I paid for seat selection and checked in early. I made sure all the rules are followed. At the airport, Westjet suddenly told me that somehow my chosen seats were broken, out of the entire sold-out plane. They said they needed to bump us but there was no flight until the next day. They said since we paid with Delta, they could not help us so I have to deal with Delta for rebooking. My infant child did not have enough formula in the carry-on luggage to last overnight and could not just eat airport restaurant food... but they did not care at all. They were kind of, too bad so sad. Their position is that you are not their customer!

This is the moral of the story. When you pay Delta to ride Westjet, you will be bounce around like a tennis ball when there is an issue, with each side blaming each other. Westjet does not consider you as their client. They will bump you first, if they need seat, even for a crew flying back. They will make up excuses such as mechanical failures, but just on those specific seats that you get. When you complain, they will ask you to walk to the other side of airport and deal with Delta. With Delta, they will claim it's beyond their control and if you need to rebook, then you will not have the same direct flight and you will go through an American city such as Detroit or Minneapolis as those are Delta's hubs. You will end up losing hours, if not overnight, to be rebooked.

Yes, I compared and saved about $200 for a family of 4 booking through Delta... but it was a nightmare. I would not do it again. Luckily, we were not dragged down by force like United Airlines. However, they definitely picked up first to bump.

By the way, they found seats for us after our relentless complaint and threaten to go to media on how airline bump infant and cause food shortage. So we were allowed to board... Guess what?! We had our exact same seats... nothing was broken. I guess they made that excuse, but decided to bump other people instead. I bet it was done so some pilot or flight attendants can go home early instead of waiting for a later less busier flight!

I loved Continental! They were a great airline. Too bad United took over. The rest was all downhill.

Do NOT buy Delta tickets on Westjet flights!!! Westjet operates those aircrafts and sells those seats in bulk to Delta, as "codeshare". You will pay Delta but check in with Westjet.

I paid for seat selection and checked in early. I made sure all the rules are followed. At the airport, Westjet suddenly told me that somehow my chosen seats were broken, out of the entire sold-out plane. They said they needed to bump us but there was no flight until the next day. They said since we paid with Delta, they could not help us so I have to deal with Delta for rebooking. My infant child did not have enough formula in the carry-on luggage to last overnight and could not just eat airport restaurant food... but they did not care at all. They were kind of, too bad so sad. Their position is that you are not their customer!

This is the moral of the story. When you pay Delta to ride Westjet, you will be bounce around like a tennis ball when there is an issue, with each side blaming each other. Westjet does not consider you as their client. They will bump you first, if they need seat, even for a crew flying back. They will make up excuses such as mechanical failures, but just on those specific seats that you get. When you complain, they will ask you to walk to the other side of airport and deal with Delta. With Delta, they will claim it's beyond their control and if you need to rebook, then you will not have the same direct flight and you will go through an American city such as Detroit or Minneapolis as those are Delta's hubs. You will end up losing hours, if not overnight, to be rebooked.

Yes, I compared and saved about $200 for a family of 4 booking through Delta... but it was a nightmare. I would not do it again. Luckily, we were not dragged down by force like United Airlines. However, they definitely picked up first to bump.

By the way, they found seats for us after our relentless complaint and threaten to go to media on how airline bump infant and cause food shortage. So we were allowed to board... Guess what?! We had our exact same seats... nothing was broken. I guess they made that excuse, but decided to bump other people instead. I bet it was done so some pilot or flight attendants can go home early instead of waiting for a later less busier flight!
Wow, just wow!! I thought Westjet was supposed to be a good airline to fly, but I'm hearing a lot of bad experiences people are having with them. Canceled flights, now lying about broken seats? That's outrageous. Delta I never liked!! Every time I fly with them something goes wrong. And zero customer service. They don't care. They are my last choice for flights.

Wow! It's just DH and I traveling so I'm not too worried but I will go armed with your insight in case something comes up. I've also already booked my flights through Airmiles so I can't change them now anyway but I will carry your experience in my back pocket (in case).

I am also calling WestJet to get their version of my reservation code so that I may be able to do online check-in and reserve seats at T-24. Anyone have experience with this using a code share flight?

TBH, I've had equally horrible service on Air Canada flights. I think it depends on luck of the draw with Stewards/ess and counter check-in people that day.

Wow! It's just DH and I traveling so I'm not too worried but I will go armed with your insight in case something comes up. I've also already booked my flights through Airmiles so I can't change them now anyway but I will carry your experience in my back pocket (in case).

I am also calling WestJet to get their version of my reservation code so that I may be able to do online check-in and reserve seats at T-24. Anyone have experience with this using a code share flight?
I will be interested to hear if you can get the WJ reservation code. We bought Delta tickets on WJ for next April. The flight time changed significantly since we bought the tickets, so we could cancel the flight if we find something better.

I will be interested to hear if you can get the WJ reservation code. We bought Delta tickets on WJ for next April. The flight time changed significantly since we bought the tickets, so we could cancel the flight if we find something better.

I just got off the phone with WestJet. You need your ticket # (not confirmation code) to give them and they will give you a WestJet Confirmation # that you can put into the system, check in online and choose your seat at 24hrs (free of charge). The worst part was waiting to get through to an agent.

I just got off the phone with WestJet. You need your ticket # (not confirmation code) to give them and they will give you a WestJet Confirmation # that you can put into the system, check in online and choose your seat at 24hrs (free of charge). The worst part was waiting to get through to an agent.

I was going to try this too for our flights in December, glad to know it works!

We booked through Delta but only one flight is Delta operated! We had such a good experience flying with them last time so I hope it's still good through code share.

I called Delta to get our West Jet confirmation number and they gave it to me as we fly the second leg from Boston on West Jet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!