Destash 2018 Bust the Dust

1 under garment trashed
4 socks trashed

I know it don't count, but really trying to eat up food out of pantry, freezer and all of our fresh veggies. So much food goes to waste when it gets outdated.

955/2018

While doing some work around the house, I was able to use up a few more things from the shed (especially since I organized it)

2 paint brushes - used up
1 paint roller - used up
1 mini-fridge - to son’s house

4 items left the house

1335 items of 2018 or 66.15% of goal

I love reading this thread to get motivated!
I found the top of a desk I haven't seen in at least a year!
I was even able to dust/clean it!!!

Tossed a bunch of useless papers and junk that had been just shoved there, put away a few things that just needed a home, and organized the rest. I've discovered that even after I ditched all the ones missing erasers and the ones that were smaller than my palm, I have enough pencils to last the rest of my lifetime and still have multitudes (unsharpened even!!) to leave to multiple generations after I'm gone!!! How does that even happen??

So another bag full of garbage is leaving the house. Didn't find anything to donate, but that's ok too.

Happy 4th everyone!

If you want to get rid of excess pencils, find a teacher or drop them off at a school. I had picked up a free trunk from someone and when they found out I teach gave me 2 big bags of misc pens and pencils. It was an awesome gift!

We have been out of town so I'm getting a late start on my summer projects. Someone on Nextdoor is looking for elementary teaching items so I'm collecting a pile for her. Even if I do move back down from middle school sometime, I'd rather donate than move them next summer.

I need to finish unpacking then find a place to tackle!

This past week has been more project completion than anything else, but still managed to get rid of some clutter almost everyday this week as well including yesterday.

7/13

2 bars of hotel soap - used up (every time I think we have used the last of the hotel soap I seem to find more)
4 grocery bags of old paperwork - brought to local shred event

6 items left the house

1341 items of 2018 or 66.45% of goal

I am all finished with my decluttering except for the attic. I have it halfway done, but It is really too hot to work up there right now.
It feels pretty good to finally have my house (almost) organized. I find myself able to also get rid of clothes that I was not sure whether I wanted to keep or not. I did the Marie Kondo thing, and it really works to keep the things that you love and let go of the rest.

We didn't get much done this weekend - went to the lake instead.

My DH and BIL did go through some old scrap wood that was stacked behind one of the outside buildings and got rid of some of that and stacked the rest neatly. I pulled some out yesterday for a couple of projects so I guess that used some of it up.

I'm also getting ready to label some of my son's outgrown clothes and toys for the local consignment sale. Receiving starts in a couple of weeks, that should get rid of about 3 huge tubs of stuff. You can indicate on the label that you don't want the stuff back and they will donate anything unsold to goodwill.

If you want to get rid of excess pencils, find a teacher or drop them off at a school. I had picked up a free trunk from someone and when they found out I teach gave me 2 big bags of misc pens and pencils. It was an awesome gift!

You're so right! The funny thing is, I am a teacher. :) So I do have a bundle set aside to bring in to school, but I swear those things multiply like rabbits!! I will be asking around in September to see if anyone else can use them though - I can easily spare a few classrooms worth!
Pens, for whatever reason, we don't have as many of... :confused3

DD decided she wasn't interested in a particular toy anymore, and so she gathered up all the pieces (a play set, 3 characters and assorted small pieces) and brought them to a friend of hers who collects that same toy. The kid was thrilled, and DD felt very good about making her friend smile. I'm hoping that it will inspire some additional donations!!!

We also finally got rid of some stuff (DH's not mine!!) that was stored in a storage unit, so now that we don't need the unit anymore, I'm really happy to not have to write out that check every month!!

I also did get take some baby hangers and outgrown clothes out of DD's room. Trying to decide which way to donate it - but it will be leaving the house either way!!

I took a load to donate this week. Box fan that DD used in college, small ironing board, 2 mirrors, some books, 2 lawn chairs, and a box of misc. things collected from around the house. Lots thrown out as I was working in the garage. It is looking better but still needs work before moving.

I do not know if this counts, but my son stored a lot of things in my basement because he sold his house. They finally bought a new house, so they will be moving it back out.

Bed-mattress and box spring
A bar-My daughter in laws dad built it for their wedding and somehow I ended up with it.
Lots of beer since my DIL works at Miller-Coors and they get a free case of beer a week.
Wine and other liquor.
Fans and other house hold items.
Dog kennel, this will be hard to face again, his toys and padding.
Shoes, and shoe holder.

1050/2018

Only a few items left the house this week as I was at a out of town conference for most of the week.

7/20

1 towel - trashed
1 pair of sneakers - trashed
5 pairs of socks - trashed

7 items left the house

1348 items of 2018 or 66.79% of goal

Just a few items today

3 cardboard boxes - recycled
2 window shades - trashed

5 items left the house

1353 items of 2018 or 67.05% of goal

Browsing the boards and found your thread, what a great idea! I will look for you all again in January. For now, I'm just bouncing around my house, aimlessly trying to get rid of stuff. Sold on Ebay for years (still sell jewelry on Etsy), but went to estate sales every weekend. Have tons of vintage doll stuff and vintage clothing to clear out and I'm very easily distracted these days.

But, we are planning to move next year after selling this house. So I must focus! See you then.

Yesterday I was able to get some decluttering done. Little bits of odds and ends as I work on redoing son's former bedroom and get ready for the remodel of the spare room and upstairs bathroom

2 six packs of soda - dropped off to a friend
1 bag of items - returned to walmart

3 misc electronic items - recycled
1 cordless mouse missing usb adapter - recycled
2 plastic lids (don't fit any containers we have) - recycled

2 expired items from the fridge - trashed
1 laptop shoulder strap - trashed

1 DVD - donated
4 shopping baskets - donated
1 small chair - donated
3 baby outfits (NwT’s) - donated
1 book - donated
1 foam pool rocket - donated
1 plastic bat w/ ball - donated
24 assorted computer cables - to robotics center
2 binders of assorted paperwork - robotics center

2 cans for air propellant - to son’s house for his miniature painting projects
1 toilet brush (new) - to son’s house
1 hand gripper picker upper thing - to son’s house
2 framed pictures - to son’s house
1 grocery bag of misc items (electronics, Lego's, and assorted mechanical parts) - to son’s house

57 items left the house

1410 items of 2018 or 69.87% of goal

2 Large Tote Bags-Trashed
2 Scratchy Flannel Sheets-Trashed
1 Large Refrigerator Bag-Trashed

1055/2018

Got rid of 21 more items in the past couple months

Tossed
Deep Fryer
8 Belts
Shower Squeegee
2 Cutting Boards
Phone Case
Bike Gloves
Bag of Misc junk from Camper
Paint Brush

Gave Away
Fry Pan
Silverware Tray
Crocs

Sold
2 iPads

236 items gone in 2018
1782 to go

Last week I took a small bag of things to Savers.

I trashed 1 dress.

I am currently listing things for the consignment sale in September. I'm up to about 175 items, my goal is 400. Can't wait to see that stuff leave AND make some money!

Been a slow week as I have been taking an on-line class

9 magnets - to school
9 DVD’s - donated
2 hotel soaps - used up

20 items left the house

1430 items of 2018 or 70.86% of goal

My son and DIL came and got he rest of their things out of our basement. I told them they could leave the dog things, since they lost their puppy at 11 months, but they took it.
Dog Kennel
1 bag iof dog toys
1 dog cushion pad
2 suitcases
1 bucket of booze. 10 bottles
I gave them an Insta Pot new for Easter and I stored it till they got in their new house.
Dog food stand for water and food.
Outdoor toddler swing/slide set
1new Pack if loose leaf papers
2 pocket calculator holders

I found a bag of clothes hat got mixed up in their items and it was from my DD, so
I will be dropping that off at St. Vincent’s shoes and clothes. (30 items).

1105/2018

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!