Destash 2020 Time to Putter with Clutter

Productive weekend here - I got 2/3 of the collapsed building emptied out and part of area between the 2 outbuildings. I also got started on another shed that appears to be full of empty plastic seedling pots.

I don't have an inventory of it all, but it comprised 6 loads in the little trailer that attaches to the lawn tractor. Funny thing is, I noticed that 75% of it was gone off the curb when I left this morning. Our weekly pickup isn't until Thursday this week. I understand (and expected) the broken weedeater heads, vacuum cleaner, sink, and storage tubs (no lids or I would have kept them) but someone literally took a pile of rotten wood. I have no idea why, even if they were desperate for fire wood, there are multiple huge piles of cut trees in the neighborhood that I'm sure would have worked better.

It feels so good to have all that stuff gone. The only things I found that I kept were 2 fancy fishing rods with cases (going to check those out on Ebay, if they aren't worth anything I'll give them to my BIL), a hummingbird feeder for DS9, some door latches new in the package, and a gardening rake.

Productive weekend here - I got 2/3 of the collapsed building emptied out and part of area between the 2 outbuildings. I also got started on another shed that appears to be full of empty plastic seedling pots.

I don't have an inventory of it all, but it comprised 6 loads in the little trailer that attaches to the lawn tractor. Funny thing is, I noticed that 75% of it was gone off the curb when I left this morning. Our weekly pickup isn't until Thursday this week. I understand (and expected) the broken weedeater heads, vacuum cleaner, sink, and storage tubs (no lids or I would have kept them) but someone literally took a pile of rotten wood. I have no idea why, even if they were desperate for fire wood, there are multiple huge piles of cut trees in the neighborhood that I'm sure would have worked better.

It feels so good to have all that stuff gone. The only things I found that I kept were 2 fancy fishing rods with cases (going to check those out on Ebay, if they aren't worth anything I'll give them to my BIL), a hummingbird feeder for DS9, some door latches new in the package, and a gardening rake.
Wow, great job!

Gonna see if I can make some pocket change at the local game store on some video game guides I have. Got some old eye glasses I need to find a place to donate.
Our library has a bin for old eyeglasses that are donated to the Lions Club I believe. You can probably look online to find a donation location in your area too!

I think the problem I'm facing is clothes. We have started to slowly see 'disney' clothing sneak into the closets and I'm having a hard time getting rid of those bc like we bought it for the kids. The only benefit is ds8 passes his old Disney shirts to ds5 before we have to make a decision to get rid of it.

Have you thought about having a blanket made with the older shirts?

Can I join you in the Great Purge? I've been working a little bit each day all year and just packed up my first donation load. I counted 130ish so I'm going to count 175 for the year to include all the stuff that was thrown away in the process.

I'm following a woman on line who gives you a task every day that your supposed to complete. Most are about 15 minutes long. I'm almost done in my kitchen. I also did the china cabinet, a storage room in the basement and a purge of the decorations for all of the holidays.

In addition to my 175, I purged two big memory boxes down to one small one. Cards and letters from when I was born until I was about 30! That was a huge project but it was fun to sort through.

One thing I'm still debating is my grandmother's dishes. I don't really like them and they've been the basement for 20 years but o feel guilty getting rid of them. I did put them in a smaller box while I think about what to do. It makes me sadder to think of getting rid of the box they were in than the dishes. 🤣😂🤣😂. It's an empty Crown Royal box from 1978!

I didn't get much done over the past week but I did recycle 2 broken electronic items, sold 1 ebay item and recycled 3 jewelry making magazines that haven't sold on ebay in one year so they are gone.

New total: 115/500

And on a side note, I've got 2 old CRT computer moniters to recycle but I have to pay 25.00 each for any place to take them. I know it has to be done but I'm annoyed that I have to pay. Silly to be annoyed but it's funny what annoys me. it is what it is.

I didn't get much done over the past week but I did recycle 2 broken electronic items, sold 1 ebay item and recycled 3 jewelry making magazines that haven't sold on ebay in one year so they are gone.

And on a side note, I've got 2 old CRT computer moniters to recycle but I have to pay 25.00 each for any place to take them. I know it has to be done but I'm annoyed that I have to pay. Silly to be annoyed but it's funny what annoys me. it is what it is.

Yikes on the cost to recycle the monitors. Our town does 2 free electronic recycling days a year, maybe check and see if yours or a neighboring town does (ours doesn't check ID so you could come from anywhere). Otherwise, that's not going to do a lot to encourage people to recycle.

One thing I'm still debating is my grandmother's dishes. I don't really like them and they've been the basement for 20 years but o feel guilty getting rid of them. I did put them in a smaller box while I think about what to do. It makes me sadder to think of getting rid of the box they were in than the dishes. 🤣😂🤣😂. It's an empty Crown Royal box from 1978!

I hear you on the dishes, I've got 2 sets from my Grandmother. I don't use them and probably never will but I can't stand the thought of getting rid of them. Both sets were bought with grocery store stamps. If I thought someone could use them it would be one thing, but they aren't worth anything and donating them here would be the same as throwing them away. So, they take up cabinet space.

Too funny with the box.

That's why we have a bunch of various computer monitors, cpu's and printers in the basement. It annoys me we have to pay to recycle them, so there they sit.

Got rid of an old crock pot since found new one in basement. Planning to go thru game closet tonight.

@AgentSweet I donated my some old pairs at Walmart vision center. They have a bin outside the door to put them in.
@crazylady That's a great idea! I'm not crafty but I have a friend who is! Maybe I'll set them aside for a blanket project. Usually I just buy shirts from WDW that aren't related to any parties or holidays. I usually just buy the ones that are movie inspired. However it broke my heart to give away my son's Jack Skellington shirts! DS5 was Jack for 2 Halloweens in a row because he loves the Nightmare Before Christmas!

I dropped off a box at Goodwill today. Now onto the great kitchen clean up!

Have you used any of the items since you put it there. Have your dd look at the kitchen items and if she does not want them, try selling them. Some items from the 50, 60, and 70's are items not considered antiques. I am talking about an egg timer, or old whisks. Otherwise if it is old, worn out, get rid of it. It is hard to get rid of sentimental items too. I was told take a picture of the items, and then donate them.

Took a Build a Bear-which was a Reindeer to my granddaughters house. My MIL sewed it for her, because she ripped it and it sat it my house for a month.
3 boxes in the garage recycled.

81/2020

Actually, yes but less than I think necessary to hold on to some of this stuff. A lot of this is stuff from MIL before she died. DD wants to keep everything even when she doesn't need it so I'd rather not involve her in the decision making. None of this is particularly valuable or sentimental and none is irreplaceable. Things like two mismatched sets of flatware, old Corelle dishes, mugs, etc. I also store my Christmas dishes there and I'm seriously considering getting rid of it or packing it up and moving it to the attic. I only use it once or twice a year.

I hear you on the dishes, I've got 2 sets from my Grandmother. I don't use them and probably never will but I can't stand the thought of getting rid of them. Both sets were bought with grocery store stamps. If I thought someone could use them it would be one thing, but they aren't worth anything and donating them here would be the same as throwing them away. So, they take up cabinet space.

Too funny with the box.
I also have my Grandma's Grocery Store Stamp china :-)

I also have my Grandma's Grocery Store Stamp china :-)

I think I value the memories of her collecting the stamps more than I do the dishes. One of the sets, she never even opened the boxes. The other was her "good but not best" china that we ate holiday meals on. I'll keep that one, it's a blue Wedgwood pattern so fairly versatile.

The unopened one is a pink, flowery pattern that really doesn't match my taste. I looked it up on Replacements.com and Ebay, it's not worth the expense of packing it up and shipping it. Plus, I remember going to the store with her to cash in the stamps.

Someone needs to start a society for the preservation of "Grandma's China." Somewhere it can be safe while it waits to find its forever home.

I think I value the memories of her collecting the stamps more than I do the dishes. One of the sets, she never even opened the boxes. The other was her "good but not best" china that we ate holiday meals on. I'll keep that one, it's a blue Wedgwood pattern so fairly versatile.

The unopened one is a pink, flowery pattern that really doesn't match my taste. I looked it up on Replacements.com and Ebay, it's not worth the expense of packing it up and shipping it. Plus, I remember going to the store with her to cash in the stamps.

Someone needs to start a society for the preservation of "Grandma's China." Somewhere it can be safe while it waits to find its forever home.
That's awesome that you have the memories. My Grandma had mine my entire life, so I don't actually remember her collecting it. Hers is very timeless - it's white with a silver band.

Returned 3 items that didn’t work me, did not replace.
Cleaned out pantry and tossed a Box full of old items, broken sifter, etc. (counting as 15 items for the box).
4 clothing and 1 kitchen item to donate pile.
used up package of w2 forms and envelopes instead of buying more
14 magazines and catalogs recycled from dh bathroom
dh cleaned out his junk drawer and trashed a bag of misc. (counting 5 items) and added 2 items to donate pile.

60/1000

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts