DH recent heart attack-ECV and other advice please

frannn

<font color=blue>please stop the madnesssss alread
DH had a mild heart attack last Tuesday and we are scheduled to arrive this coming Thurs. His Dr had said he should be walking a bit each day since his release from the hospital and that the trip would be ok, but he's afraid to go since it'll be hot with a lot of walking. I contacted Disney for some advice & info & they mentioned ECV and the DAS pass. This sounds like it would be very helpful, but not sure how difficult it is to get and if it will be enough to give him the recuperation he will need. He could always spend time at the resort for the most part and join us for meals. We will be at Coronado Springs. I want to do what would be best for him- should he take the trip?

His fear is understandable-at this point he may be afraid of so many things. You should't have any trouble getting an ECV, and let him take the lead on his health, how he's feeling every day.

Order the ECV from an outside vendor, (details in sticky) so that he has it all the time. Coronado is a big resort. I rent an ECV for DH and he was hesitant but thanked
me during the trip. Go at his pace, but the ECV will help. If you have an ECV for mobility issues, you probably wont be able to get a DAS unless there are
other issues.

like the PP said get a ECV from off site there is so much walking even at resorts. He dose not need to use the ECV all the time he can park it and walk around some even if it is walking around one of the stores at Disney walking to a table to eat. walking to a ride vehicle. I would still take it in lines even if the line is short as you never know when it something will happen and the line will be longer.

As far as the DAS the DAS is for people that can not be in the physical line due to there disabilities this give the holder and people with them a return time to come back at a latter time. If you would like to know if your DH needs a DAS think about why he needs in line if the answer is a place to sit, a need to use a mobility device, to avoid stars, then he will not need a DAS. If he has other needs that dose not have to do with the need to site, ( even a combination of I cannot sit or walk too long will normally not get a DAS) the you can go to GR and talk to them.

Have a great trip

I wouldn't go. If he doesn't want to go, and you pressured him into going and something happened, you would end up feeling so horrible. Most likely he would be fine, but a trip where he's scared and tired and upset just doesn't sound like much fun. If he thinks he needs more than just a couple weeks to recover, I would listen

I don't care WHAT my doctor says.. taking on a major undertaking such as a trip to Disney a week after heart attack?! no way in heck. the ONLY way I would consider doing it is f I made up my mind to make it a RESORT ONLY vacation with maybe a trip to Disney Springs for a change in scenery.

I agree. Take his lead and be understanding. I think it is too soon. WDW will be there for you in the future.
Good Luck

My dad had a minor heart attack 2 weeks before our scheduled family Disney trip. He decided to join us anyways - got the clearance from the Dr. He rented a scooter each time we went to the parks and did just fine. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge, so we took advantage of the boat as much as possible.

He did stay back at the hotel one day (Epcot day) and our DHS day he joined us later in the day but that was because he hadn't been cleared to take any strong pain meds for his knees, and he was having a lot of knee pain.

He's glad he joined us, and so are we, we have a lot of great family photos and we were able to celebrate that he was still with us.

If he really doesn't want to go, I'd agree that it makes sense to postpone. If on the other hand, he'd actually like to, but is just nervous about it, I'd say slow and easy and think about the ECV seriously. I wish we'd been able to go to Disney after my DH's heart attack and double bypass, since he was bored and restless and cranky (and not only making us all crazy, doing things the doctor had expressly told him not to).

I'm really nuetral on this one. If you are willing to do the parks slower then maybe he could manage. By slower I mean more shows, live street entertainment, parades and fireworks rather than rides. Enjoy dining experiences more.

ECV is a must. I would go with offsite renting. I would go mornings to the parks when it's cooler; since, this is a concern of his. You can practice doing a scooter using store ones before you go. Let him take a break and nap in the afternoon. Then, if he is up to it go back in the evening to the parks or call it a night and don't push him.

If you are not willing to change how you do the parks then I would postpone. This is not a time to wait three hours to go on FOP. Some rides have restrictions for heart issues.

I'm having surgery next week to have my gall bladder out, and have a Disney trip in the middle of October. I'm a little leery and it is no where near as serious as what your husband is dealing with. If he doesn't want to go I wouldn't force him.

Even with the ECV a WDW trip is a major undertaking that requires physical and mental stamina, and the heat and humidity this time of the year are serious. If your husband doesn't think he's up to it, he's probably right. However, if you do go I agree with others about renting an ECV from off-site so that you'll have access to it 24/7.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts