DHS Construction update thread (Read Post 1) Updated 8/21/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy for their opening day success. But call me crazy I don't think brand new rides should be requiring evacuation due to overheating within a week or so of opening.
When their overworked it can happen. They are new rides and running from 7-8AM until past 1AM.

Someone shouldn't plan a trip based on an opening. I'll always be the first to say that. That said I don't believe we should doubt Disney saying 2019 at this time.

well, i'm going to remain skeptical. at least until we see more progress. and i will continue to recommend skepticism to anyone else to whom this matters in their planning.

Rides in every single theme park ever break down/have issues at opening starting with Disneyland in 1955. It always happens.

I think Disney will do anything it can to hit the targeted opening for Star Wars because, a delay would cost them tons of money not being spent by guests and really hurt the anticipation for it

So, DH threw a bit of a curveball at me the other day and asked if maybe we could postpone our 2018 trip and instead wait until Star Wars Land opens. DH isn't a big theme park fan, but he does really want to see SWL. I told him I thought that we would go next summer and then maybe go again 2-3 years later to see it, maybe go for the 50th.

To which he replied, "Honestly? I think two trips is enough. I really don't feel like spending $15,000 on Disney vacations. It's enough what we'll spend on two! That money could go to other things."

*grumble, grumble*

Grumbling aside, I am willing to consider post poning until summer 2019, but I do have concerns about it, too. They are:

- We can only go in the summer. Do we even have an idea of the projected opening date? What are the chances of SWL even being open for summer 2019? And, when would we know for sure (as sure as we can get) what the realistic opening date will be?

- Given the insane crowds at Pandora's opening, just how bad will it be for SWL? Say it opens May or June 2019, how crowded do you realistically see it continuing to be in July or August?

I know there are no hard answers right now, but to me, these are things we really need to consider, because I am not willing to risk skipping out on 2018 if a) it's still not ready for summer or b) it's so crowded that we won't be able to enjoy it anyways. I'd rather try and take my chances on convincing him on a 3rd trip.

Have you ever been to Epcot or Magic Kingdom on xmas day or New Years Eve? Have you ever been on a level 10 day? Well, those days are really level 11, but the scale only goes up to 10. Think that for the opening week, not just weekend, for SWL. So, 100 times worse than Pandora. If it opens at the beginning of summer, then the rest of summer will look like opening weekend for Pandora. It's going to be absolutely insanely crowded chaos. It sounds like that may not be the scene for your family. It will be there. Don't worry. DH will get desperate and eventually want to go:)

Don't understand why so many are expecting SWL to open in 2020 when Disney has specifically said 2019.

I think they are preparing themselves. I think of myself as a cynical optimist: I hope for the best and expect the worst. I think that's what the SW fans are doing to prepare themselves and help prevent disappoint if Disney can't come through. I don't plan to hit WDW SWL opening, but I am really hoping to hit DLR SWL early along with D23:)

I'm not so sure. I understand the skepticism but they've picked up lately and I think they can get it done in 2019. IT could be late 2019 but that's still 2019.

Sorry, there is no evidence to support that the pace of construction has increased.

Sorry, there is no evidence to support that the pace of construction has increased.
I understand that but I just don't see how they aren't on pace to open in 2019. Now that steel is up it just feels like they are moving faster. Of course they are still behind Disneyland but its not like they are a year behind Disneyland.

I understand that but I just don't see how they aren't on pace to open in 2019. Now that steel is up it just feels like they are moving faster. Of course they are still behind Disneyland but its not like they are a year behind Disneyland.

My understanding, from everything I've read, is that DL SWL is supposedly going to open in spring of 2019 and WDW SWL in the fall. So it would make sense that DL is ahead of WDW. Does that sound right? Also - and this is just me making a guess - now that Pandora is complete they'll start making better progress on TSL and SWL, and once TSL opens next year they'll get going gangbusters on SWL. Sound about right? So, for me, you can't compare the progress at DL to WDW. My gut tells me they've got plenty of incentive to get SWL open in 2019 if only because it's going to be a cash cow.

My understanding, from everything I've read, is that DL SWL is supposedly going to open in spring of 2019 and WDW SWL in the fall. So it would make sense that DL is ahead of WDW. Does that sound right? Also - and this is just me making a guess - now that Pandora is complete they'll start making better progress on TSL and SWL, and once TSL opens next year they'll get going gangbusters on SWL. Sound about right? So, for me, you can't compare the progress at DL to WDW. My gut tells me they've got plenty of incentive to get SWL open in 2019 if only because it's going to be a cash cow.
Yes DL is somewhere around 4-6 months ahead of WDW.

Everytime I have seen discussion of a theme park projects people always say "wow they are going so fast now" when the steel starts going up. Steel always goes up fast. Once that steel is done things will appear to slow to a crawl from out perspective. Again, I am not saying it won't be done by 2019 since that appears to be what they are shooting for, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that slip.

Everytime I have seen discussion of a theme park projects people always say "wow they are going so fast now" when the steel starts going up. Steel always goes up fast. Once that steel is done things will appear to slow to a crawl from out perspective. Again, I am not saying it won't be done by 2019 since that appears to be what they are shooting for, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that slip.
We will just have to agree to disagree on the slip part.

Although SWL in Disneyland looks months ahead in reality it's not a lot of the work was already being done that is visible for rivers of America and in the state of California they require certain codes and procedures even completed so that the buildings can withstand earthquakes something that doesn't need to be done at Disney World I expected both to be completed late April early May 2019

Although SWL in Disneyland looks months ahead in reality it's not a lot of the work was already being done that is visible for rivers of America and in the state of California they require certain codes and procedures even completed so that the buildings can withstand earthquakes something that doesn't need to be done at Disney World I expected both to be completed late April early May 2019
WDW needs to be built to hurricane codes so that argument doesn't exactly work.

WDW needs to be built to hurricane codes so that argument doesn't exactly work.
I come from a background of construction in both states the hurricane procedure involves drainage and wind durability that is only tested at the beginning once the first round of concrete is poured and he end once it the structure is completed for earthquakes they have to check each part starting with the substructure of the building and continue to check its durability throughout its construction to make sure it's foundation will contine to stay strong. So even though the hurricane codes need to be met just like those for earthquakes complying and checking those codes takes a lot longer for earthquakes

I come from a background of construction in both states the hurricane procedure involves drainage and wind durability that is only tested at the beginning once the first round of concrete is poured and he end once it the structure is completed for earthquakes they have to check each part starting with the substructure of the building and continue to check its durability throughout its construction to make sure it's foundation will contine to stay strong. So even though the hurricane codes need to be met just like those for earthquakes complying and checking those codes takes a lot longer for earthquakes
Disneyland is still 4-6 months ahead with having to build for earthquake codes. I just don't think that is playing as big of a factor as you think here.

Disneyland is still 4-6 months ahead with having to build for earthquake codes. I just don't think that is playing as big of a factor as you think here.
I know it is hard to believe based on the visible progress but those codes push them back at least 3 months based on the visible progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!