Diabetic 4 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had our best trip ever in September 2018! Crowds (excluding Labor Day) are typically much easier to deal with. If your daughter loved it last time, I definitely think you should take her back! The Disney experience is just like no other. Also, if I were you, I would talk to guest services about her issues with waiting in line. I totally understand the uneasiness and concern with being misunderstood. I'm a pretty reserved and quiet person by nature and really hate social conflict of any kind. But the way I see it is that I'm my son's advocate, and if there's any way for him to have a more typical "waiting for a ride" experience (i.e. one that does not involve dangerous drops in blood sugar, potential unconsciousness, and needles ranging from small to big), I'm going to try my best to make sure that happens. So I'll tell guest services the specifics of why a long, hot line could be dangerous for him...then I'll let them decide yes or no. But I really feel that in your daughter's case and my son's, the DAS is needed and will be granted.

I know it’s not funny, but we moms all need some comedic relief here and there, and your “more typical waiting for a ride experience that doesn’t involve unconsciousness and needles’ made me lol! I can definitely relate!

Do be aware there are not a lot of inside areas to sit and wait. Stand and shop, sit and eat, yes.

It's true! Disney does seem to like to keep people on their feet. We will have a double stroller for my son and his younger sister, so he should be fine with that if he needs to sit when we're finding cooler things to do. But because his issues aren't mobility-related, I'm betting he'll be fine (and even prefer) walking around and looking at souvenirs. And we'll probably hit up things that usually have low waits (and are also cool) like Mickey's PhilharMagic and Journey into Imagination.

I know it’s not funny, but we moms all need some comedic relief here and there, and your “more typical waiting for a ride experience that doesn’t involve unconsciousness and needles’ made me lol! I can definitely relate!

Sometimes you've gotta take the humor where you can find it!

I'm definitely planning to explain his specific issues when it comes to lines. I can imagine that many adult diabetics (especially those who have lived with the disease for many years) would have no added difficulty waiting in a long line. But because he is so little and recently diagnosed (I'm sure everyone can imagine the logistical difficulty of testing, injections, and otherwise playing hospital while in a hot and crowded queue), I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to get a pass for him.

Sorry, just thinking out loud (or...via text, haha) a little in order to explain that I know the circumstances, not the diagnosis, are what's needed here.
one thing you have not mentioned but look into the First Aid at each park as needed to help you in your medical needs. not so much for treatment but for places to help you get your testing done and cool off if needed. from what I have seen don't be surprised if you are turned down for DAS as I am not sure how it will help as your return time would get you inside with most lines but not sure other than inside eating and walking around stores not sure where you would be able to be out of heat. DAS doesn't getting you on rides faster in fact in most cases it is longer. and as others have said it is not based diagnosis but need to be out of line

It's true! Disney does seem to like to keep people on their feet. We will have a double stroller for my son and his younger sister, so he should be fine with that if he needs to sit when we're finding cooler things to do. But because his issues aren't mobility-related, I'm betting he'll be fine (and even prefer) walking around and looking at souvenirs. And we'll probably hit up things that usually have low waits (and are also cool) like Mickey's PhilharMagic and Journey into Imagination.
but remember that you could be spending a lot of time crossing park which will have you out in the heat. and I am another one who would get the "stroller as a wheelchair" tag so he can sit in line even if you get the DAS as the line can be long even with return time as you get in the FP line not front of line

It is true that many of the lines are inside, which I already knew because of being to WDW so many times (and it sounds like you have, too, OP). That’s a big part of why not using a DAS did work, and in fact, sometimes the line was better than the alternative of waiting elsewhere.

That being said, and here’s where I struggle, too, for someone not involved with this type of diagnosis on a daily basis, outsiders have no idea how much “medical stuff” is involved. Yes, you can give an injection in line, but it’s not ideal. We check sugar on the fly all the time, but mixing and measuring the proper amount of cornstarch and protein powder into the right type of shake we need at that moment for where we are at is much harder in line. Eating a snack from our bag is easy, fetching a snack with more (protein, dairy, carb, mixture) of what we need from a nearby food cart, not possible while in line. Having to eat at exactly the 4 hour mark and not 10 minutes later...tough if you’re stuck in a line. Worst case scenario, you do it wrong, and you’re looking at an unconscious kid (and it does happen).

I know it’s hard to understand if you don’t do it. But for us, this is literally hours of our day every day. For these reasons, yes a DAS would help, but it’s hard to explain.

Often people think parents like me are asking for a DAS to wait shorter or get separate treatment, and that’s just not the case. I’d happily wait longer somewhere else than risk an unconscious kid in line or get off our meal schedule. When the line makes more sense (it’s cool and out of the sun), then great, but when you’re looking at having to “play hospital” in line, another location or the option to come back later would be really helpful.

It is true that many of the lines are inside, which I already knew because of being to WDW so many times (and it sounds like you have, too, OP). That’s a big part of why not using a DAS did work, and in fact, sometimes the line was better than the alternative of waiting elsewhere.

That being said, and here’s where I struggle, too, for someone not involved with this type of diagnosis on a daily basis, outsiders have no idea how much “medical stuff” is involved. Yes, you can give an injection in line, but it’s not ideal. We check sugar on the fly all the time, but mixing and measuring the proper amount of cornstarch and protein powder into the right type of shake we need at that moment for where we are at is much harder in line. Eating a snack from our bag is easy, fetching a snack with more (protein, dairy, carb, mixture) of what we need from a nearby food cart, not possible while in line. Having to eat at exactly the 4 hour mark and not 10 minutes later...tough if you’re stuck in a line. Worst case scenario, you do it wrong, and you’re looking at an unconscious kid (and it does happen).

I know it’s hard to understand if you don’t do it. But for us, this is literally hours of our day every day. For these reasons, yes a DAS would help, but it’s hard to explain.

Often people think parents like me are asking for a DAS to wait shorter or get separate treatment, and that’s just not the case. I’d happily wait longer somewhere else than risk an unconscious kid in line or get off our meal schedule. When the line makes more sense (it’s cool and out of the sun), then great, but when you’re looking at having to “play hospital” in line, another location or the option to come back later would be really helpful.
but even with a DAS you could end up in line for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the FP line without a way out. DAS will not help you with lines for food in a hurry and even with Ressie you can be seated later than your time. I will say the one time we ran into an issue at a Counter service a CM was able to get me what was needed very quick skipping a line but it was not a full meal that was needed.

but even with a DAS you could end up in line for 20 to 30 minutes depending on the FP line without a way out. DAS will not help you with lines for food in a hurry and even with Ressie you can be seated later than your time. I will say the one time we ran into an issue at a Counter service a CM was able to get me what was needed very quick skipping a line but it was not a full meal that was needed.

Totally true! Just like a child with autism might have a meltdown in line even with the DAS or a person with bladder issues still might have an urgent need for a bathroom even in a shorter line, etc. There’s never a guarantee, but a DAS can certainly help with the odds.

We did our last trip without DAS, so it can be done, but we all agreed it would have been easier if we had one because we could have spent a lot more time together as a family. Instead, my daughter’s disability made us spend the majority of the day apart (I went to first aid or baby care with my DD while the rest of the family went on a ride, or I went back to the hotel to get out of the heat, do meds, and do breathing treatments while my family stayed, etc.). The DAS allows some families more time to do those things during their wait for their return time, still be together, and still go on rides together. I can see how that would be a benefit.

Of course, it’s always a good idea to have anything you might need in an emergency in case the unexpected happens, so traveling with all supplies is a great idea. You have to have some flexibility to enjoy a WDW vacation no matter what the circumstances. But if it can be made easier with an accommodation that is available to those who need it and could benefit from it, using it might make sense, too (spoken from a mom who did NOT use it. 😂)

Hi, everyone!

Preface: my 4-year-old son was diagnosed with t1d fairly recently. He does great with it overall and is a very brave boy, but because he's so small (and still using the injection method--4-5 shots per day, no pump), no two of our days are the same. Perhaps it will always be this way, but I'm hoping he'll become more stable as he grows.

We're heading to WDW in May (woohoo!) for a week (staying at Fort Wilderness). Any tips for WDW with a young type 1 diabetic would be most appreciated! I've done some searching around here and other places online, and have decided a few things already:

-We will be requesting a DAS pass. Long lines (particularly in the heat and sunshine) would most assuredly make his blood sugar even wackier and less predictable than usual. We will keep all of his necessary supplies with us, but there's only so much you can do with extra sugar (or extra insulin in case of a persistent high) if you aren't first addressing the main problem (in the case with long lines: heat).

-We'll be getting FRIO cooling cases for his insulin.

-We'll be planning plenty of indoor/cool activities and attractions throughout the day. His meal times have to stay pretty regular to maintain steady blood sugar (another--minor--reason for DAS pass).

But that's all I know of for sure at this point! I'm currently on the hunt for the best small bag to keep his supplies in while we're in the parks...something that will be easy for us to take on rides. Suggestions for that and any other ideas in general are welcomed!
You are going to have such a great trip!

My suggestion is to bring extra supplies-lancets, test strips, syringes, alcohol swabs and batteries for his blood glucose machine. Believe me, batteries always seem to die on us when we are on our trips. Bring an extra vile of insulin in case one gets dropped or smashed in your luggage. 😊

I'm sorry but no. You don't get to refuse to properly engage in the post you made and refuse to have reasonable discussions with people, and then hijack someone else's post to air your dirty laundry again.
This type of behavior is not fair to the OP and is off topic.

So thankful for this! Dumbo and Toy Story Mania in particular come to mind as far as great queues go. I'm also thankful for the DAS pass when it comes to rides like Slinky Dog, Tomorrowland Speedway, Kilimanjaro Safari, Spaceship Earth, etc.
Is your trip prior to Spaceship Earth closing? Also yes. That gosh forsaken line of Slinky Dog. Imagineers had an epic fail with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!