Did you know that? I didn't know that?

mainstreet1997

Mouseketeer
just got back from an awesome 3 night stay at AKL for my birthday (best birthday gift ever from my parents). We were lucky enough to get a Savannah view! When we checked in, my mom told the cast member at the desk that the last time she was there they had a great room on "the big savannah" and was wondering if she could get that again.

We were told that when you make your reservation you specifically had to ask for the Arusha Savannah view and she thought it might be a different point value. At no time did the cast member who helped us with our reservation (actually, both of them because we added a night) ever ask us if we wanted Arusha Savannah view.

Did anyone know this?

I haven't heard that DVC has it as a separate booking category, but if you go to the CRO website, it does specify the "Arusha Savanna View" as a category. I'm not sure why...

It isn't any more points compared to other savanna views but all requests should be made with MS so it can be noted on the reservation.

Many resorts are moving forward on not wanting to process requests at check in. That's why Disney came up with online check in. Their goal is to reduce contact time at check in which reduces their costs.

Some resorts are even meeting Guests before they get to the Front Desk to really stop requests from being made.

:earsboy: Bill

just got back from an awesome 3 night stay at AKL for my birthday (best birthday gift ever from my parents). We were lucky enough to get a Savannah view! When we checked in, my mom told the cast member at the desk that the last time she was there they had a great room on "the big savannah" and was wondering if she could get that again.

We were told that when you make your reservation you specifically had to ask for the Arusha Savannah view and she thought it might be a different point value. At no time did the cast member who helped us with our reservation (actually, both of them because we added a night) ever ask us if we wanted Arusha Savannah view.

Did anyone know this?

Nope b/c that's essentially incorrect both in saying you must and that it might differ in points.

You should make a request with MS for a location to have the best chance of receiving it. Otherwise it seems to be up to the discretion of the CM checking you in if they will attempt to change you or not. Obviously the CM you had chose not to.

I haven't heard that DVC has it as a separate booking category, but if you go to the CRO website, it does specify the "Arusha Savanna View" as a category. I'm not sure why...

You have to pay extra for the Arusha Savannah if you book thru CRO - I think it used to be an extra $30 per night. As far as Arusha being a separate booking category - it didn't used to be - you couldn't book a specific savannah. I had a talk with the DVC executive office about making Pembe a separate booking category. With no giraffes or zebras on that savannah, my kids don't want to stay there. You should know up front if your room is on the Pembe savannah because I would book at a different resort instead of paying the extra points for that "savannah" view.

Thanks for this post! I didn't realize there were multiple savannahs. We have our first stay at AKV in January and did get a savannah view room. Hmmm. What savannahs do people recommend for Jambo? Thanks!

SotS

Thanks for this post! I didn't realize there were multiple savannahs. We have our first stay at AKV in January and did get a savannah view room. Hmmm. What savannahs do people recommend for Jambo? Thanks!

SotS

I think Jambo is less of a concern these days since all the Savannah's there have Giraffe which is usually the biggest complaint at Kidani since the Pembe savannah does not. I personally like the Sunset which used to be looked down upon prior to Kidani opening. With that addition the animals seem to roam to all parts more than what their habits used to be.

I think Jambo is less of a concern these days since all the Savannah's there have Giraffe which is usually the biggest complaint at Kidani since the Pembe savannah does not. I personally like the Sunset which used to be looked down upon prior to Kidani opening. With that addition the animals seem to roam to all parts more than what their habits used to be.
I agree. Before the expansion of the Sunset Savanna, I would have rated the savannas as Arusha, Uzima and then Sunset, especially given that there were times when Sunset had only one giraffe. After expanding Sunset, they added more giraffes (I've seen as many as five) and probably more animals overall so it has been completely transformed. If staying at Jambo I might still request Arusha just because there are no people pens on that savanna and it's interesting being on the inside of the horseshoe but would be happy getting Sunset too.

What savannah is the best at Kidani? Or is there a difference? We are new too and want to make sure that we get a good view. Also, just P.S. I was told that the CM assigning rooms gets your info 10 days prior to check in. So if you want a specific request you can call them at that time.

What savannah is the best at Kidani? Or is there a difference? We are new too and want to make sure that we get a good view. Also, just P.S. I was told that the CM assigning rooms gets your info 10 days prior to check in. So if you want a specific request you can call them at that time.

Room assigners don't want faxes or phone calls. All inbound calls are received at a call center in Tampa who will tell you that they are the Front Desk. Sometimes you can get transfered to the resort and sometimes you can't.

Disney is now using a automated system to assign rooms. That's why the request categories have been standardized and they don't often match the DVC categories. Rejected and/or free form requests are manually processed by the assigner after other matches have been made.

All requests should be made through MS and noted on your reservation.

:earsboy: Bill

Thanks for the info! I think for this first trip we will take luck of the draw since things seem to have improved on the Sunset savanna. :banana:
Thanks!
SotS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter