Diet Madness - Tony's Town Square Review

I literally have cooked over a million pounds of chicken in my life. So I think I can speak with some authority on the matter of chicken being dry and wether or not this is because of the quality of the chicken or more the preparation of it. I personally can’t imagine a place like Tony’s getting chicken so bad that it’s really difficult to prepare and not be dry. Breast meat is very easy to dry out not a lot room for error if the chicken was dry that’s on the kitchen not the cut of meat.

Have you not heard of "woody breast?" I imagine you have if you have cooked that much chicken, and it is becoming a pervasive problem in the poultry industry. You can recognize it as raw breasts that have thin white lines running across them. The meat is tough and rubbery and NO way of cooking it helps. You basically need to grind it up in order for it to be a decent consistency.

I have gotten increasingly frustrated as a consumer with this kind of chicken. I am at the point where I examine every package of chicken I buy and have stopped buying larger amounts in bulk packaging where I can't see each individual breast. It is a problem with traditionally raised, organic, and free range chicken. It has nothing to do with what the chickens are fed, antibiotics, etc. It's a genetic issue that poultry industry heads are frantically trying to eliminate. It only affects the breast meat, not the thighs or legs. One solution is to switch to dark meat, but that's not what most Americans want.

The majority of woody breast ends up being used in low quality processed foods (like nuggets and patties), but restaurants can end up with it too because suppliers don't specifically screen for it and chicken is not graded like beef is, so there is no way to really avoid getting some. What a restaurant CAN do is NOT grill up and serve those pieces to patrons. But that would require throwing away a LOT of chicken. So, the end result at a place like Tony's is, they serve customers the woody chicken. And yes, sometimes it is so bad that you literally can't chew it. Has happened to me several times at home.

Last edited:
I spent my youth/young adult/adult years growing up in central NJ/Eastern PA. If ANY Italian restaurant skimped on either quality and/or portion size, it would have at least 5X competitors within blocks to overcome their deficiency. That is what I miss most of living in central Florida (and hot dog stands).
I always face the wrath of purists and foodies, but I love Olive Garden. Especially their salad and dressing!!

Yes, I currently live in southern NY near NYC. I'm not gonna lie, I used to be a purist myself until I went to college in upstate NY. Once you live in a place that doesn't serve authentic Italian food, Olive Garden is like filet mignon lol. I agree, Olive Garden does have amazing salad! Also, you can't beat their deals. I walk out of that place having spent $25 tops, including tip and tax. It's amazing!

Yes, I currently live in southern NY near NYC. I'm not gonna lie, I used to be a purist myself until I went to college in upstate NY. Once you live in a place that doesn't serve authentic Italian food, Olive Garden is like filet mignon lol. I agree, Olive Garden does have amazing salad! Also, you can't beat their deals. I walk out of that place having spent $25 tops, including tip and tax. It's amazing!
And I currently live in NE NJ (Bergen County) and still love OG! :)

Have you not heard of "woody breast?" I imagine you have if you have cooked that much chicken, and it is becoming a pervasive problem in the poultry industry. You can recognize it as raw breasts that have thin white lines running across them. The meat is tough and rubbery and NO way of cooking it helps. You basically need to grind it up in order for it to be a decent consistency.

I have gotten increasingly frustrated as a consumer with this kind of chicken. I am at the point where I examine every package of chicken I buy and have stopped buying larger amounts in bulk packaging where I can't see each individual breast. It is a problem with traditionally raised, organic, and free range chicken. It has nothing to do with what the chickens are fed, antibiotics, etc. It's a genetic issue that poultry industry heads are frantically trying to eliminate. It only affects the breast meat, not the thighs or legs. One solution is to switch to dark meat, but that's not what most Americans want.

The majority of woody breast ends up being used in low quality processed foods (like nuggets and patties), but restaurants can end up with it too because suppliers don't specifically screen for it and chicken is not graded like beef is, so there is no way to really avoid getting some. What a restaurant CAN do is NOT grill up and serve those pieces to patrons. But that would require throwing away a LOT of chicken. So, the end result at a place like Tony's is, they serve customers the woody chicken. And yes, sometimes it is so bad that you literally can't chew it. Has happened to me several times at home.
I’ve cooked many breasts like that and it’s more difficult but not impossible but that is some terrible quality. I just can’t imagine Tonys getting that bad of quality of breasts consistently and not doing something about it. Tony’s may not be a great restaurant but it’s not a gas station.

I always face the wrath of purists and foodies, but I love Olive Garden. Especially their salad and dressing!!

:rolleyes1

Olive Garden certainly isn’t authentic and I am not really a fan of most of their food - but I will say their salad and the breadsticks are pretty darn good and the fact you get unlimited of those is a big plus for them

Olive Garden is fine, but they're a bunch of liars. If it truly is a "NEVERENDING Pasta Bowl" they're offering, then why are there locks on the doors?

NylgUXzeO3srLZOvHy3IkPvW9k8=.gif

If I recall it correctly, Charles asked his girlfriend if Cheesecake and balsamic vinegar are a thing, and she said no. Maybe if she was asked cheesecake with strawberries mixed with balsamic vinegar are a thing he may have gotten a different answer.

I remember reading years ago about "spent hens". Those are old, egg laying chickens that no longer lay eggs whose meat is so tough and stringy it is only used for composting and fed to pets and school children. Yes, you read that correctly, school children.

"From 2001 though the first half of 2009, USA TODAY found, the government spent more than $145 million on spent-hen meat for schools — a total of more than 77 million pounds served in chicken patties and salads. Since 2007, 13.6 million pounds were purchased."

Here is the article which isn't loading properly: https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-12-08-hen-meat-school-lunch_N.htm

I only remember it only because after a long hard "Mom" day I started referring to myself as a "spent hen".

Sort of off topic, but in our office cafeteria yesterday on the salad bar they had strawberries in balsamic as an item - it made me think of this thread and I of course had to get some (was looking for some cheese to put with it but didn't see anything - I also despise cheesecake so that wouldn't' have been an option anyway)

Sort of off topic, but in our office cafeteria yesterday on the salad bar they had strawberries in balsamic as an item - it made me think of this thread and I of course had to get some (was looking for some cheese to put with it but didn't see anything - I also despise cheesecake so that wouldn't' have been an option anyway)
I've never had balsamic on cheesecake but I'm certainly willing to try it. In my head, I'm not sure how the lightness and sweetness of cheesecake would pair with the balsamic as I've only had it on something like a good hard sharp cheese, but I know how good that is.

I would have had a real issue with the cheesecake as I have a food intolerance to vinegar. That would have made me miserable for the rest of the day.

I'm a complete sucker for cheesecake, and would probably try the one they experienced at least once. If I didn't know what the sauce was made of before I ate it I'd probably be confused as well.

I like balsamic on strawberries and on salty/sweet salads (thinking spinach, bacon and figs etc) but the idea of it with a cheesecake is a bit ‘ick’ to me. I spend a lot of time in Milan & Rome and can’t say I have every come across that one. But I am up for trying anything at least once. Maybe this October my tastebuds will know how they feel!

I know Charles said "vinaigrette" but I wonder if it was a reduction instead. The reduction would be significantly sweeter and would go well with cheesecake as opposed to a vinaigrette (which implies vinegar + fat/oil) which would go on top of a salad.

I know Charles said "vinaigrette" but I wonder if it was a reduction instead. The reduction would be significantly sweeter and would go well with cheesecake as opposed to a vinaigrette (which implies vinegar + fat/oil) which would go on top of a salad.
I'm sure it is a reduction, not a vinaigrette. A reduction is sweet and syrupy and often paired with fruit and cheese. As you said, a vinaigrette is typically a salad dressing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter