Dieting and cruising. Mixed emotions.

darnheather

DIS Veteran
I love food. One reason I loved my first cruise was the amazing desserts, Cabanas specials of the day and breakfast. However, this year I've resolved to really change the way I eat and I'm starting to work on trying to change my feelings toward food as well. I don't really consider what I do now dieting because I'm trying to make this change for life but some days are harder than others.

I'm looking for people who have kind of been in my shoes. When I first started these changes I told myself and my family that on the cruise I would eat whatever I wanted because hey! it's vacation. Then I said no, I still won't eat XYZ but I'll eat as many desserts as I want. Now though I worry that if I do that I'll feel a lot of guilt and possibly reset my taste buds and stomach. On the other hand I want to make the most of the food I love while I cruise that I won't eat any other time of the year.

One of my ideas was to eat a special breakfast each morning (the eggs Benedict over a hashbrown instead of an English muffin), whatever I want for lunch, and salad plus dessert for dinner with a side of something else if I'm really very hungry (doubtful). Has anyone done this sort of limited vacation cheat? Did you feel satisfied?

My doctor is not a nice person and while I'm looking for a new one she's not someone I want to talk to about all this.

The biggest thing I did in Feb (on Weight Watchers for a month and a half at the time) was tell my server no bread for me. Since I'm gluten-free it didn't affect my parents.

I ate moderately the whole time but did not deny myself.

I took the stairs 99% of the time and hit the gym a few mornings.

There are ways to stay "good" on the cruise. I ordered the sugar free desserts most nights, and the mousse ones were really good! What was hard for me was watching my dh and ds indulge and I tried to maintain. I am like you in that I want to make new eating habits a lifestyle change, not just a diet. I don't like to feel deprived, and i have to say I never really did on the cruise. Instead of a hamburger, I chose the chicken and had them put it on a bit of lettuce versus a bun. I abstained from drinking soda the whole time (my major vice) and drank tea or water instead. I did indulge in an alcoholic beverage or two once in a while to really celebrate the vacation. With eggs benedict, the worse part of that (although the tastiest part) is the hollandaise sauce, so switching out hashbrowns over english muffin, not sure that will help much, but does sound yummy. For me, I just tried to stay away from the heavy sauces, the meat...for the most part, and the really sugary desserts. I did not feel deprived and I didn't gain any weight on the cruise. Win-Win. HTH Oh, and edited to add: I did the stairs 100% of the time and walked deck 4 twice a day. Didn't hit the gym, but the walking helped.

I agree with Dug about the stairs. Always use them on cruises. Also, I don't deny myself. I limit my bread to one serving at dinner, and only eat about 1/2 of what I order. I often come home weighing less than what I weighed before the cruise.

Light breakfast (fruit; one waffle/pancake/french toast; occasionally hash browns; juice). Mid day snack from pool deck (chicken tenders; sometimes with fries). Dinner - sometimes I'll have an appetizer or salad, but usually only an entree and dessert.

I try to cut out as much flour and sugar (breads and cakes) as I can. It might make you feel like you have more room for other choices. Or try to limit breads and sweets in the morning to leave room for those at dinner. I love food too and have a tendency to overdo it on vacation. But maybe if you enjoy and eat more protein earlier in the day (and less simple sugars ) you can splurge at dinner. I myself would NOT want to limit my eating on my vacation. But also maybe just splurge once a day (and yes to the stairs!!!).

What worked for me was to decide if I really just wanted a taste of something or if that thing was 'worth' the calories. If it was, then I ate it. I also try to think in terms of the day. If I had a big breakfast, then I might have something small for lunch. If I had ice cream in the afternoon, then maybe no dessert or a small bit of dessert for dinner. Bread is definitely a culprit one can do without, especially if you're having pasta.

Find the things you can't live without and limit the things you can. Maybe no french fries, but a second dessert one day. If you love eggs benedict, ask for sauce on the side and limit the sauce you put on it. Or have the sauce, but skip the lunch dessert. Like others said, use the stairs, walk around the deck with your camera one or twice a day.

Yes, my tastebuds were reset by desserts. I had to consciously stop myself for looking for a meal finisher when I got home. Gum is good for that or just brush your teeth after eating to change that taste. Sometimes, just a square of chocolate instead of a whole bar will be enough. You have to find your triggers and know how best to limit yourself. If having desserts on the ship will be a diet ender for you, then don't have them. They aren't worth the pain. Have a coffee instead.

But mostly, enjoy yourself. Don't deny yourself to the point of misery. No diet is worth being miserable.

Oh yeah, my worst dieting problem is when I'm good all day and the night comes, I am tired and just weak enough to think, "I've been so good all day, I deserve a treat". Boy, I have to watch that one or that treat will negate all my 'good all day' calories and more!

Thank you so much for the caring and understanding replies so far. As a pre-diabetic I do not eat pasta, rice, potatoes, or bread at home anymore and don't plan to have any on the cruise except the one hashbrown a day. I also really limit my added sugar and don't eat desserts made from sugar, only non-calorie sugar alternatives like stevia. I really miss coca-cola. It's been five months since I had one of those and I still miss it. I want to have them on the cruise but I know that will wreck me for months more. When it comes down to it I think I'll take a wait and see approach.

Absolutely plan to take the stairs as we'll be on deck 6 and if I'm not getting in my steps then I'll hit the gym on sea days. Also planning to do the CC 5k. The day at Disney should also help with any exercise issues! :-)

I'm like you and don't want to erase all my hard work during a cruise. Losing weight is hard and I wouldn't be thrilled with even a 5lb weight gain. I don't deny myself but at the same time I try not to get carried away. I eat breakfast in the MDR and steer clear of the buffets. I will also order something and just try it then push the plate away. I'm learning I don't have to clean my plate. I can try a few bites and that's good enough.

We try to get staterooms in the forward part of the ship, as high up as we can afford. This gets you away from three food sources (don't stop at the fast-food ones on the top deck). Then we walk almost everywhere, the bigger the ship the better. There is a section of the menu that has lighter fare, or create your own menu for X number of days, give it to your servers the first night and be surprised each night. Never tried it, but will on next cruise. The mouse often loves a challenge.

I love food. One reason I loved my first cruise was the amazing desserts, Cabanas specials of the day and breakfast. However, this year I've resolved to really change the way I eat and I'm starting to work on trying to change my feelings toward food as well. I don't really consider what I do now dieting because I'm trying to make this change for life but some days are harder than others.

I'm looking for people who have kind of been in my shoes. When I first started these changes I told myself and my family that on the cruise I would eat whatever I wanted because hey! it's vacation. Then I said no, I still won't eat XYZ but I'll eat as many desserts as I want. Now though I worry that if I do that I'll feel a lot of guilt and possibly reset my taste buds and stomach. On the other hand I want to make the most of the food I love while I cruise that I won't eat any other time of the year.

One of my ideas was to eat a special breakfast each morning (the eggs Benedict over a hashbrown instead of an English muffin), whatever I want for lunch, and salad plus dessert for dinner with a side of something else if I'm really very hungry (doubtful). Has anyone done this sort of limited vacation cheat? Did you feel satisfied?

My doctor is not a nice person and while I'm looking for a new one she's not someone I want to talk to about all this.
Here are a few do's for each mealtime:
Breakfast:
1. Eat a real breakfast each morning, so you won't be hungry and tempted to snack all day. If you eat breakfast in the MDR, order one entree for breakfast, whichever you like, but only one. Ordering fruit on the side is fine, too. If you eat breakfast at Cabanas, eat a balanced, filling breakfast, but your plate shouldn't resemble the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

Lunch:
1. Feel free to skip lunch if you aren't really hungry.
2. If you are hungry, get something from the pool deck. Get one serving only, and then you're done.

Dinner:
1. Decline both bread and appetizers before dinner. Then order whatever entree you really want to eat. (But only 1 entree.)
2. Order whichever dessert you want after dinner, but only have one dessert.

Here are some general don'ts:
1. Don't eat the pool deck ice cream. It can be habit-forming as you walk by it all the time, and it's not that good, anyway.
2. Drink water instead of sodas, alcohol, shakes or smoothies. Buy a water bottle package or two from DCL prior to the cruise (via Gifts & Amenities), so you'll always have chilled bottles of water in the fridge. Having that on hand will help with this a lot.
3. Don't pack snacks for the cruise. Just eat during mealtimes on the ship.
4. Do not eat sweet treats from the Cove Cafe during the day. Let your nightly dessert satisfy your sweet tooth.

Thank you so much for the caring and understanding replies so far. As a pre-diabetic I do not eat pasta, rice, potatoes, or bread at home anymore and don't plan to have any on the cruise except the one hashbrown a day. I also really limit my added sugar and don't eat desserts made from sugar, only non-calorie sugar alternatives like stevia. I really miss coca-cola. It's been five months since I had one of those and I still miss it. I want to have them on the cruise but I know that will wreck me for months more. When it comes down to it I think I'll take a wait and see approach.

Absolutely plan to take the stairs as we'll be on deck 6 and if I'm not getting in my steps then I'll hit the gym on sea days. Also planning to do the CC 5k. The day at Disney should also help with any exercise issues! :-)
One thing that helped me reduce my sugar cravings and that also lowers blood sugar, is to drink 8 ounces of water with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in (the unfiltered type, with "the mother"). I drink it through a straw, to protect my teeth from the vinegar (and because it doesn't taste great). I do this twice a day, morning and evening. It really works to reduce the sugar cravings imo, and there have been medical studies indicating its efficacy at lowering blood sugar. Here is a link to an article about its benefits:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317218.php

Last edited:
@darnheather, you are on a great path and doing what works for you. Everyone requires something different to achieve and maintain a goal, any goal.

Here's my story. In February 2015 I was the heaviest weight ever recorded on the scale for me. I took healthy measures to change all of that, and one of the first things I did was accept that this change was going to require a lifetime commitment; it will never be easy for someone like me. I do not refer to my eating habits as a diet; I do refer to the food I put in my mouth as my diet (as in my diet consists of...). I do not use the word "cheat" because that brings on too much negativity. I worked with a dietician and stepped up my workouts. I have lost over 120 lbs since then. I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories and wear a Fitbit Alta HR. I weigh myself every single morning, even on vacation. I accept that my weight will fluctuate on a daily basis.

Regarding cruises and vacations, I make the best choices I can at each meal and pick from healthier snacks (salad with just vinegar, a serving or two of fresh fruit, etc.). I have asked for dishes with no sauce or sauce on the side. I have asked for fresh berries as my dessert. I have asked for extra vegetables with no sauce in place of a starch. You've got this.

When it comes to dessert and sweets, I will eat them sparingly. My dietician imparted these wise words to me: if you want the cookie, eat the cookie. I avoided eating sweets early in my dietary change, but I will have them now on occasion (says the person who just ate dark chocolate).

I take advantage of the stairs on the ship except when I'm dressed for Palo. We normally stay on decks 5, 6 or 7. I will take the stairs from deck 3 to deck 9. I go to the Fitness Center and use the weights but not so much the cardio machines; I would rather use the walking track on the ship, weather permitting. I take spin on a regular basis at home so I signed up for a spin class on the ship. I did my first Castaway Cay 5k last November. I was able to run most of it, but once I hit the sun I had to speed walk instead. I still made an okay time having never done one in the past.

No matter how you (general) do it, make sure that it is sustainable for a lifetime. Best of luck to you!

You may be surprised how easy it is to get in your steps on a cruise. I swear I walked at least three miles a day on the ship alone. At dinner I would sometimes just have an appetizer and salad. I rarely had dessert. It's not something I want to do on vacation, but would it help you to keep yourself in check with an app ( that doesn't need wifi) to estimate you calories and activity? It always helps me to be aware of what I'm eating. And if I log in enough exercise I can relax a little on my calories.

May I suggest changing your doctor? It's actually a relief to have one that is sympathetic and understands, versus someone who is unpleasant and makes you feel guilty! Trust me.

Back in January my boyfriend and I changed our eating habits in order to lose weight. I made some big changes and so far I have lost 40 lbs. I'm like you; I loooove food. Part of that is that I enjoy the taste and the experience, the other part is emotional.

I can't tell you what to do, but here's what I'm doing on my cruise: I'm going to enjoy myself. I'm going to try new foods. I'm going to get full. I'm going to have a mickey bar once in a while. If I absolutely want a soda, I'll have one; I just won't have twelve of them in one day. I'm on vacation and decided that I don't want to deprive myself of too much. Sometimes certain foods are like a guy that you shouldn't be dating; the more you tell yourself to stay away, the more you want him! I've really improved my relationship with food and I know that a week of heavy eating isn't going to undo my hard work. It's my vacation and I want to live a little and enjoy it.

I hope that helps you! Just make the decision that's right for you and what will make YOU feel good.

My wife and I always take the stairs, even when there is no or a very short line at the elevators. We make sure we get out and walk a mile on the promenade deck at least a couple times each day. When we go through the buffet line we make sure we load up the plates with fruit and salad before hitting the high calorie food. We don't skimp on the dinner menus including dessert!

I don't really consider what I do now dieting because I'm trying to make this change for life

One of the really hard things about figuring out what to eat is understanding that our food needs aren't constant: some days we eat more than normal because we're hungry. Some days we eat certain foods because it's a special time of year. Some days we eat certain foods because we are with special people. Some days we eat less than normal because we're sick, or busy. What we need changes.

This is a lesson that has helped me figure out what to eat and to be kinder to myself about my food choices. I used to do the thing where I would eat a very restricted diet most days, and then give myself a "cheat" day (like on vacation or for a family meal). But this often meant that I would go a little wild on my cheat day, overeating things I maybe wasn't even especially enjoying just because I thought, "This is my chance!"

Instead, I'm trying to recognize that some days my body needs different types of food, and that a food need can also be a social need or an aesthetic need. During a normal day, my body needs to be nourished and enjoy my food. But during a family party, my social need is for foods that are part of my family history and have good memories attached to them. On vacation, my adventuring need is to eat foods that are delicious, or unusual, or an otherwise aesthetic experience that is just as important as the experience I am having exploring a city or a beautiful view of nature.

The way I look at it is, I want to have the best experience possible and feel happy because I am meeting my needs, and the key to doing that is to be conscious about identifying which needs I have and which ones I want to prioritize. I could see that going either way for you -- maybe your primary need is to bond with loved ones over food on this trip as an experience, or maybe you need to limit sugary desserts because now they will make your body feel bad. (Or whatever the conflicting desires are that you have within yourself!) In either case, thinking about what you need, and knowing that your need for food is a lot more multi-faceted than "this is what my doctor says is healthiest," might be a good way to make conscious choices and to be kind to yourself at the same time.

My son and I struggle with this all the time. Our first cruise I went a bit crazy at the embarkation day buffet and enjoyed the desserts a bit much for the rest of the cruise. For my son, it was the pizza up on deck 11. And the ice cream. And the french fries, chicken tenders etc. And that it was so available all the time. :)
The next few cruises, I steadily gained control of myself and still enjoyed the food selection but at a much more moderate level. But still had a weakness for certain foods on the ship. (Still have those even now)
I started Nutrisystem in the winter of 2015 (by then we had already taken 5 cruises so I was really aware of portion controls and worked hard to contain my feeling that I had to eat.

On embarkation day and at all buffets now (even at home) I take small helpings of my favorite foods and a tiny portion of something that looks interesting or new and never go back for seconds.
For breakfast, I choose their oatmeal, a spinach omelet (the ones already prepared) and some salsa to put on it. I avoid the toast, waffles, pancakes, english muffins but do have a weakness for bagels. :)
For lunch, I will choose one of the chicken caesar wraps and some fruit and get some lettuce, tomatos and cucumbers to make a small salad. I really make an effort to avoid the pizza counter a few sections down. lol
For a snack, I will allow myself a self serve ice cream cone and/or possibly a small dessert from Vista or Cove cafe.
Dinner, I will choose an appetizer or salad depending on the menu, an entree (usually steak or chicken) and a dessert if they appeal to me and if I still feel hungry.
No late night snacking..which is easy because we have second seating and I am just not that hungry.
I take the stairs as much as possible, walk on deck 4 with the family, and walk a lot. I keep thinking I will go to the fitness center, but the kids aren't old enough and we actually do a lot of things together as a family still...so that is why we walk on deck 4. :)
I have a Fitbit Flex that shows I average 15,000 steps a day....quite a bit higher on port days.

I think you should still be able to enjoy yourself and take advantage of the wonderful food options but keep it moderate and offset it with activity.
Last cruise I came home and had only gained 2 pounds...I was pretty excited about that. I cannot even remember the previous cruises, but I know that I did not fare as well on the scale returning home from those.
Oh...and if at all possible, go to the Rainforest and take advantage of the sauna/steam rooms. I always feel so good after that.

I've done so many cruises. The menus are mostly repetitive to me. I don't *want* to look at the food parts of the day as entertainment. They're the necessary stops for fuel. That said, for breakfast I love the muesli. I try to do a small bowl with some fresh fruits & veggies. At lunch I like to munch fresh fruits & veggies and some cold cuts or carved meat & cheese. I may do a small amount of carbs, too. I can't fully eliminate carbs. My body needs them, just not much and better choice of which I take in (whole grain). MDR dinners? I'm never tempted by the bread because I hate hard bread. No problem there. I typically will order the appetizer salad. Then for my entree I order a dinner salad when available or I'll order 2 of the appetizer salads + the lighter note steak. A few times the servers caught onto what I was doing and brought my entree assembled. If not, I combine the salads, cut up the steak, put it on top of the salads, and dinner is served. I don't like cruise desserts so, again, no temptation there. Is what I eat so special? Not really. But, hey, I didn't have to buy the groceries, prepare the meal, or do the dishes. That's certainly special to me! I will allow myself a few indulgences like Palo (still choosing somewhat carefully) or Remy brunch. I fully recommend taking the stairs like everyone mentioned already. Oh! And a early morning run/walk is so enjoyable.....THAT from a girl who hates to run! The sunrise, the scenery, the occasional pod of dolphins, etc. are fantastic. On the classic ships if you're in some good rolling seas it's a ton of fun. When the ship pitches up you feel like super heavy on your legs but then when it pitches down you feel so light on your toes! When I get an early start to the day with a good run/walk I feel way more energized for the rest of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter