Dieting and cruising. Mixed emotions.

One other thing I did differently this most recent cruise (my first on WW and my 3rd since being gluten-free) was tell my servers at the same time I asked for them to not bring the GF bread for me that I probably would not eat everything on my plate but not to assume I didn't like it. That I would tell them if there was a problem but otherwise I was watching my portions.

(Though in reality the plated foods are much closer to recommended serving sizes than most restaurants on land.)

So many different ideas here, so many different ways to do it.

I would...
Try to have at least one meal a day that makes me feel good. So makes me feel healthy, full and in control. That's easier at buffets as you can go to the vegetables and fill your plate with them, but can be done with some sensible ordering in the restaurants.
Make sure I don't slide on the easy wins. Cutting the fat off my meat - check. Even if I'm treating myself with the sauce.
Remember that the cruise lasts a few days. I can have a not so healthy breakfast if I really fancy it today. I don't need to have the same every day.
If I see something and think oooh that looks yummy, I will try and wait - in the knowledge that it will still be there tomorrow - to work out whether I really want it, or just fancy it because it's there, it's nice and I can. If I forget about it, I obviously didn't want it. If I don't then I will go and I will eat it mindfully, enjoying it.
Try to drink water when I am thirsty during the day or with food so I can drink the treat drinks when I will enjoy them for their taste instead of gulping them down.

Have a great time and enjoy finding out what works for you.

I've recently lost some weight and have been working to maintain since February. In preparation of my upcoming cruise, I've been reviewing the MDR menus so I can pick out those entrees I definitely want to have and then order from the lighter offering menu the other nights. I'll have dessert on occasion (that grand marnier souffle is too good to pass up). I'll go to Cabanas for breakfast and stick to protein items, and eat a light lunch. I'll allow myself a drink or two a day (no high calorie concoctions), but drink water otherwise. I'll walk, walk, walk and take the stairs, maybe hit the gym. I've got a WDW day as well, so I'll get my steps in for sure that day and I hope to do the CC 5K. All that being said, I'll be on vacation and, while it's not an excuse to throw all the hard work out the window, I'm going to enjoy myself and if it means eating something I wouldn't otherwise eat, so be it. I'll work that much harder when I get home.

I took a short 3-night back in March and what I saw in Cabanas was a little horrifying after working so hard to lose weight. Just because it's there, it doesn't mean you have to eat it. Some of the plates were piled high with more calories than I eat in a week! Cabanas offers many options and there are many good choices to be made. I would walk through all the stations at least once without a plate before deciding what to eat. That way, I didn't put the first thing I saw on the plate and it kept my portions at a very reasonable level.

Good luck to you and enjoy your cruise!

I found that I did well when I chose sensible breakfasts and lunches and allowed myself to enjoy dinners with my family. I always skip 1-2 courses and I order off the lighter side menu regularly. But I get to really enjoy the experience of dinners this way.

Having cruised before, you know what your big favorites are. Plan for those and don't give yourself a hard time when you enjoy them. For example, while I usually eat smaller meals for breakfast and lunch, I still do Palo brunch and I don't give myself trouble for it.

Also, I always take the stairs and I hit the gym most days. I usually work out first thing in the morning so I don't have to schedule it in once we get busy.

The other trick for me is watching my alcohol especially in the form of delicious mixed drinks.

It is very possible to have a great time and still keep up your new relationship with food.

Like you, I LOVE food. When I make travel plans I always plan what new foods I'll be trying in different countries. A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with some health issues that are forcing me to change my way of eating. I am sort of okay at home but I'm starting to worry about our 2 upcoming cruises. I am limited with calories, carbs, sugar, etc. which is going to be a huge challenge. Things I can eat - I don't like (the fruits I can eat I don't like and vice versa). I've been looking forward to Mickey Bars for months...now I probably shouldn't have any. Breakfast is going to be the worst for me. Forget the buffet! I'm not sure I can even find something to eat in the DR - do they even make egg white omelettes? Bread is hard...I LOVE bread...can't have any. For dinner I'll try and stick with a salad and light option entree (boring as hell). Lunch will be another challenge - you can only have so much salad. Even the ritual virgin pina coladas my daughter and I have during the shows are off-limits. :-(

Like you, I LOVE food. When I make travel plans I always plan what new foods I'll be trying in different countries. A few weeks ago I was diagnosed with some health issues that are forcing me to change my way of eating. I am sort of okay at home but I'm starting to worry about our 2 upcoming cruises. I am limited with calories, carbs, sugar, etc. which is going to be a huge challenge. Things I can eat - I don't like (the fruits I can eat I don't like and vice versa). I've been looking forward to Mickey Bars for months...now I probably shouldn't have any. Breakfast is going to be the worst for me. Forget the buffet! I'm not sure I can even find something to eat in the DR - do they even make egg white omelettes? Bread is hard...I LOVE bread...can't have any. For dinner I'll try and stick with a salad and light option entree (boring as hell). Lunch will be another challenge - you can only have so much salad. Even the ritual virgin pina coladas my daughter and I have during the shows are off-limits. :-(
They do make egg white omelettes in Cabanas at the omelette making station-you just have to ask for your omelettes to be made with egg whites only and they have a list of vegetables that you can add to your omelette to help make it more filling and healthy. I hope that will help make your cruise eating challenges more enjoyable :)

They do make egg white omelettes in Cabanas at the omelette making station-you just have to ask for your omelettes to be made with egg whites only and they have a list of vegetables that you can add to your omelette to help make it more filling and healthy. I hope that will help make your cruise eating challenges more enjoyable :)

Thanks! At least I can have breakfast. :-)

You may be surprised how easy it is to get in your steps on a cruise. I swear I walked at least three miles a day on the ship alone. At dinner I would sometimes just have an appetizer and salad. I rarely had dessert. It's not something I want to do on vacation, but would it help you to keep yourself in check with an app ( that doesn't need wifi) to estimate you calories and activity? It always helps me to be aware of what I'm eating. And if I log in enough exercise I can relax a little on my calories.

Yes I use My Fitness Pal and a Fitbit. But I think the My Fitness uses Wi-Fi. I'll check on that though.

May I suggest changing your doctor? It's actually a relief to have one that is sympathetic and understands, versus someone who is unpleasant and makes you feel guilty! Trust me.

Back in January my boyfriend and I changed our eating habits in order to lose weight. I made some big changes and so far I have lost 40 lbs. I'm like you; I loooove food. Part of that is that I enjoy the taste and the experience, the other part is emotional.

I can't tell you what to do, but here's what I'm doing on my cruise: I'm going to enjoy myself. I'm going to try new foods. I'm going to get full. I'm going to have a mickey bar once in a while. If I absolutely want a soda, I'll have one; I just won't have twelve of them in one day. I'm on vacation and decided that I don't want to deprive myself of too much. Sometimes certain foods are like a guy that you shouldn't be dating; the more you tell yourself to stay away, the more you want him! I've really improved my relationship with food and I know that a week of heavy eating isn't going to undo my hard work. It's my vacation and I want to live a little and enjoy it.

I hope that helps you! Just make the decision that's right for you and what will make YOU feel good.

Yes I'm working on changing the doctor but I live in a small town so finding a good one accepting new patients and on my insurance is difficult.

I like the idea of having a soda if I really want it with lunch but just water with dinner. I even thought about taking Mio drops or similar so I won't feel left out with all the fun drinks at dinner.

Congratulations on your journey!

Yes I use My Fitness Pal and a Fitbit. But I think the My Fitness uses Wi-Fi. I'll check on that though.
Your Fitbit will track without wifi.

I find that just writing down everything I eat helps a lot even if I don't have the actual calorie counts. Also, you can do some research ahead of time to get an idea of things that can be anytime foods and which things you'll want to keep an eye on.

One more suggestion. Think about the foods that aren't cooked like the charticherie in Vista/Cove cafe or the All Hands On Deck. While cheese and cured meats aren't low fat, you also know there are no hidden calories in there due to preparation methods.

I used the Navigator app to study the menu and decide what to have for dinner beforehand. That helped me not to be so impulsive because I had already thought through possible choices. We were on a Panama Canal cruise for 14 nights and I really didn't gain any weight and trust me I LOVE eating. ...And an exercise fiend I am not! I just tried to be aware of my carb intake which meant limited bread, pasta, potatoes, and "fruity" alcohol drinks and ate in moderation. Enjoy your cruise! Am looking forward to our next one fall 2018!

I haven't been on a cruise since I started my journey to be healthier but we have done a few land vacations now, including ones with a large group of people that typically includes a lot of eating and drinking. I make sure to eat a good, protein filled breakfast. If I do splurge on eggs benedict, which is a favorite of mine, I have 1 not 2. I also go light on the sauce 9I ask for it to be served on the side). If splurge on breakfast skip any sweets throughout the day. I eat either a light lunch or a light dinner, depending on what we have going on that day. On a cruise I would probably eat the light lunch. Luckily I do really like salad, so that is usually my goto. On a cruise ship though, sometimes options are more limited. A chicken sandwich or a burger without the bun is another easy meal. When we do our cruise, I do plan on letting myself order pretty much whatever I want provided I have not overindulged the rest of the day. I will continue to avoid bread, potatoes, rice and pasta though. But if I want the appetizer I do plan on ordering it and I will order dessert but I wont order two.

While traveling we do stay pretty busy. On our last vacation we averaged 24,000 steps a day so that helps. I did hit the gym twice on that trip too. I plan on going to the gym on sea days for our cruise.

I bought a water bottle that has a fruit infuser in it and I load it up with lemon, strawberries or whatever fruit is available to give my water a bit a flavor. This helps on days when everyone is drinking fun drinks by the pool. I do allow myself 2 drinks a day while on vacation, though I rarely drink at home anymore. I have found that for me, I would rather have the drinks in the evening. So I avoid the sugary blended drinks and have a glass of wine or a mixed cocktail with dinner. Usually the one drink with dinner is all I really need and I am okay with sparkling water with lemon or lime if we end up having a late night drink. I am hoping I will be able to keep this up. Our next cruise will be on RCCL and I think not buying a drink package and their high prices on alcoholic drinks will help keep me in line there. Soda was the hardest thing I have had to give up so I refuse to go back to drinking it. I know if I even have one soda it will be over and I will be gulping it down again.

You're just starting on this new way of looking at food. At some point, its going to become your standard.

I recently lost about 50 pounds. I'm 6'4", try to stay around 200. I was 193 in June when we went to vegas, thats 6 pack territory.

I eat really well Monday - Saturday afternoon. Saturday night I usually eat a good dinner and have some drinks - out with friends or at home watching a movie with the wife. Sunday I do wahetever I want. That puts me on a 1.5-2 pound weight loss per week.

Thats what I do in losing mode, if I'm maintaining I might indulge a little more on Saturday.

Last time I went to disney I weighed 199 the day I left, and 219 a couple days after I got back, I weighed 201 a week later.

I guess what I am trying to say is to think of your weight loss in a 6 month timeline. Its all a trend line, and as long as you are trending down it doesn't really matter if you jump up in a week. Just make sure that when you come home you hunker down and get back on your diet.

When I look at my 6 month weight history there is a big jump, but then I get back to normal. Just find a good meal plan that you like and gets you on that 1.5-2 lb loss/week.

I heard a great quote that I think sums up my plan really well - "eat healthy to stay fit, eat a cheeseburger to stay sane"

I don't worry so much about food but I try to move as much as possible. Take the stairs (we stay on deck 2 so it's a lot of stairs in a day). Every one of our sea days on my last cruise was over (well over) 10k steps, the port days double that.

Remember you can eat everything that you want, just not EVERYTHING. I go more with portion control than actual denying myself something.

How much weight can you gain in a week? It's one week a out of how many months? I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy your vacation and diet when you get home. I guess I'm lucky I don't find cruise food that appetizing. I usually drop a couple of pounds on a cruise. I have a lot of guilty food pleasures they're just not to be found on a Disney cruise.

I hear you, OP. It is so tempting to try a bit of everything. Biggest tip is to know it is a numbers game. Extra Calories in have to get burned. Now you have a bunch of ideas on that here (take stairs). Also depending on which seating is a factor. Main, you have more time to burn some calories before bed, of which my wonderful body (sarcasm) works to store that as fat.

If you do have late seating well, walk, walk or run on running track, then take stairs up to 4th or pool deck and above to walk. It goes by so quickly walking laps around the ship. Also helps going to bed without that stuffed feeling.

Try, small bits of the items you would, if you are like me, normally eat.

Avoid process stuff, filed stuff, high calorie items, and heavy sauces.

As far as the numbers I went to the menus and guesstimated caloric value, oh and protein level (not a meat eater here). I had a good idea of what was going in and what was burned.

While I never lost weight I did maintain, through small bites and small tastes and walking 10 laps daily

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter