Dieting and cruising. Mixed emotions.

If you are eating low calorie regularly at home, you may not want to eat as much on the cruise as you think you will want. I have found that I feel so much better by eating lower carbs, more frequent meals and higher protein snacks. So, when I am vacationing and not eating as healthy, I start to feel it pretty quickly - lower energy, stomach upset, etc.

If I am only going off my diet for a couple days, I tend to do just fine. I am pretty strict at home, so a couple days of indulgence doesn't do anything to me. I don't gain any weight at all. I have insulin resistance and I cannot eat fruit like so many people here can. For my body, fruit is about the same as any other dessert. If I was going to have fruit for dessert every day, I could swap it out for a cupcake and have the same response. I also cannot skip meals. I eat every 2-3 hours, but something small like a slice of cheese or a low sugar yogurt. When I am on vacation or going out to eat, I'll have my big breakfast and that usually has me skip my next snack, but there's no way I could skip lunch and still have energy and strength to do everything I want to to. The key is to listen to your own body. If you have your body well set on what works for you before the cruise, you'll be just fine on the cruise. If you end up eating everything in sight, it won't matter in the large picture, because your body will be used to your healthy eating.

If you are eating low calorie regularly at home, you may not want to eat as much on the cruise as you think you will want. I have found that I feel so much better by eating lower carbs, more frequent meals and higher protein snacks. So, when I am vacationing and not eating as healthy, I start to feel it pretty quickly - lower energy, stomach upset, etc.

If I am only going off my diet for a couple days, I tend to do just fine. I am pretty strict at home, so a couple days of indulgence doesn't do anything to me. I don't gain any weight at all. I have insulin resistance and I cannot eat fruit like so many people here can. For my body, fruit is about the same as any other dessert. If I was going to have fruit for dessert every day, I could swap it out for a cupcake and have the same response. I also cannot skip meals. I eat every 2-3 hours, but something small like a slice of cheese or a low sugar yogurt. When I am on vacation or going out to eat, I'll have my big breakfast and that usually has me skip my next snack, but there's no way I could skip lunch and still have energy and strength to do everything I want to to. The key is to listen to your own body. If you have your body well set on what works for you before the cruise, you'll be just fine on the cruise. If you end up eating everything in sight, it won't matter in the large picture, because your body will be used to your healthy eating.
I gain a couple pounds any time I'm not eating right but it's just water because a lot of foods that are not good for you are full of sodium. But a day or two back eating healthfully and it's gone. So don't panic if there is a shift on the scale when you get home.

The biggest thing I did in Feb (on Weight Watchers for a month and a half at the time) was tell my server no bread for me. Since I'm gluten-free it didn't affect my parents.

I ate moderately the whole time but did not deny myself.

I took the stairs 99% of the time and hit the gym a few mornings.

I just saw that you are gluten free. We are getting ready to go on our first cruise and we have two that are gluten free. How is the gluten free food? Are there very many options? What about snacks? Thanks!

I just saw that you are gluten free. We are getting ready to go on our first cruise and we have two that are gluten free. How is the gluten free food? Are there very many options? What about snacks? Thanks!

First, PLEASE make sure you have let them know in advance so that they can be better prepared with ordering breads and such.

Food-wise I had zero issues either in the MDR or at Palo or at Cabanas. They are more than willing to work with you to the best of their ability. (There may be some things like for pancakes or Mickey waffles you might have to go to the MDR for breakfast, but really not a big deal.)

I would assume they have snacks, but I am not a snacker, so I don't know. Regular mealtime meals have always been enough for me, so I have never felt the need to eat more than that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter