Differences Between Working at Knott's And Working at Disney

SmoothOperator

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone, obviously I'm somewhat new here. I recently was hired into Disneyland after spending a little over a year working as a ride operator at Knott's Berry Farm. I was wondering what the main differences are between working at Knott's and working for Disney? I suppose this would be best answered by someone who used to work at KBF but now works at Disney.

Secondly, what do Disney cast members think of Knott's? I remember I once came to Disneyland with my Knott's blue staff jacket on and took flak from a guy at California Screamin.' He asked me if I'd like it if he came to my park with Disney stuff on. Funny thing is that at least 20 percent of all Knott's guests come with just that, so it was a very frequent sight for me. Is there any real anamoisity against Knott's employees at DLR?

I have absoloutely no info. But I would imagine that there is a "friendly" revialary between the two. Kinda like what is better Coke and Pepsi or Burger King and McDonalds.

so have you answered your own question yet?

Welcome to the DIS. I don't think I can explain Disney culture to you, but once you've worked there for a couple of weeks you'll know what I mean. I don't know for sure what kind of guest goes to Knotts but I'll assume the touristy thrill-seeking type. Disney brings in those types too in addition to history buffs, families, movie affenctionados . . . . there is a bigger emotional tie to Disney.

I would agree that there may be a friendly "rivalry" between the two and/or the fact that people who want to work for Disney REALLY want to work for Disney, it's certainly not the pay check that is the motivator. when Disney cast members are at the top of their game, then MAGIC happens and I don't think the training is the same other places so there might be a slight bit of Disney cast members feeling "superior" in one sense, although I wouldn't say snobbish or condescending.

I hope you are enjoying your decision. What prompted the change?

I would say that the Disney CM who made the comment about wearing Knott's attire must have been joking or is simply an idiot. Knowing a great deal about the history of both parks, I would say that any Disney CM who encounters a Knott's employees should give that person nothing but respect. Walt Disney and Walter Knott knew eachother very well. Knott and his wife Cordelia attended the opening of Disneyland.

Knott's Berry Farm is built around history and is filled with it. It has been around much longer than Disneyland as well. Although the Knott family no longer owns the park or the jelly empire, the park itself still has a very special quality to it. When I go to southern California this July for Disneyland's 50th anniversary, I will happily include a visit to Knott's on my agenda. And if I have to miss DCA to do so, then sobeit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter