Different Use Years??? Ok or Hassle???

NickBCV

Mouseketeer
I need some help with a use year question. I have three contracts in April...am now selling the bigger contract at resort we don't use much any longer and we have an opportunity to get a nice deal on a smaller contract (130 points) with a February use year.

As I understand it, different use years have to have different contract numbers but can they be combined in the same sign-on for DVC web portal?

Basically looking for feedback as to downside of different use year vs those who have had a decent experience. If I can get a much better deal with a February use year I am wondering if it is worth the hassle.

I need some help with a use year question. I have three contracts in April...am now selling the bigger contract at resort we don't use much any longer and we have an opportunity to get a nice deal on a smaller contract (130 points) with a February use year.

As I understand it, different use years have to have different contract numbers but can they be combined in the same sign-on for DVC web portal?

Basically looking for feedback as to downside of different use year vs those who have had a decent experience. If I can get a much better deal with a February use year I am wondering if it is worth the hassle.
Different membership numbers (master contracts) for different UYs. Same login - Yes.

What this means is that your membership numbers will appear separately for each UY when you log in. These points cannot be combined without transferring them from one account to the other. And you will have to call Member Services to use those points if you do a transfer.

Keeping track of banking deadlines isn't that hard. Just put reminders in your phone or mark your wall calendar. For contracts that are at different resorts, it's not that big of a deal unless you plan to routinely combine the points for reservations being made at 7 months or sooner. For contracts that are for the same resort but different UYs, it can be a challenge as to how you will manage those points and I would not recommend it.

Twice the work of using one membership. Separate mailings and dues accounts. If the names and ownership are exactly the same, you can see both memberships with one login. We have two UY's due to early ignorance, zero benefit for us and more to keep track of. DW contacted MS last week because one of our reservations disappeared from our pending reservations. MS told her that there wasn't any record of the reservation. She got upset, turns out the reservation was booked with our other membership and DW didn't select the correct UY pull down and MS didn't know to check the other UY.

:earsboy: Bill

Marionnette said:
These points cannot be combined without transferring them from one account to the other. And you will have to call Member Services to use those points if you do a transfer.

Be aware that transferred pts cannot be borrowed, so you would never be able to combine 3 years of pts like you can with everything under one membership number (i.e. under one UY).

I have 2 different UY’s and am about to have 3. It’s not a big deal, and I actually prefer it with different resorts. I can transfer in/out more with different UY’s. Personally, I won’t look for a contract in the same UY as one of my current memberships if buying at a different resort.

If you won't combine pts you should be fine. If you want to use them together regularly, this will be an issue. You do get extra wait list and transfer slots as long as you don't transfer from one of your contracts to another where you use both transfer slots at one time.

Thanks all, good feedback. Although we do spend lots of time researching our upcoming trips, I'm not sure I am up for all the tracking that would go into the different use years. May just be better to pay an additional $10 a point and get the same use year. Especially since we are looking for all our points to be in the same resort.

You guys are the best!

I had two use years and it was a PITB. I could use both to make a reservation but I had to use them for whole days which made for contracts with a few leftover points (that were banked, but still). I also had to keep track of different banking deadlines. That being said, I think it would be worth $1300 for me to do all that stuff. Then again, I'm cheap.

We have two use years at two different resorts. At first I was worried that it would be difficult to manage, but I have not found that to be the case at all. We only use our AKV contract for our yearly AKV trip and we use our BCV contract for all other stays. I don't ever try to combine or use them at the same time, so it really isn't that much extra work. I seem to be forever in a state of borrowing so banking deadlines aren't exactly on my mind, but I do have calendar reminders just in case I ever get out of this borrowing cycle. If we were purchasing at the same resort, or planning on combining points I would not have elected to go with different UYs, but we knew that for our needs it would likely not be an issue, and it isn't.

We have two different UY's at the same resort and it is a pain, because as already stated you need to book "whole" days with each contract so it takes a little bit of tracking if you are using them for a week stay using a combination of points from each contract.

I would just buy a same UY contract, unless for a very specific reason.

We have two different UY's at the same resort and it is a pain, because as already stated you need to book "whole" days with each contract so it takes a little bit of tracking if you are using them for a week stay using a combination of points from each contract.

I would just buy a same UY contract, unless for a very specific reason.
I bought 2 diff UY at the same resort - and MY specific reason was that I saved money - A LOT of money. I write it all down and keep track , and I save THOUSANDS of dollars. was it worth it to me to save all that money (2500-3000 Dollars) with the 'hassle' of typing a couple of notes? Absolutely YES.

I bought 2 diff UY at the same resort - and MY specific reason was that I saved money - A LOT of money. I write it all down and keep track , and I save THOUSANDS of dollars. was it worth it to me to save all that money (2500-3000 Dollars) with the 'hassle' of typing a couple of notes? Absolutely YES.

For a few dollars more though, it is one less headache over a 40-50 year contract to deal with. Most contracts at resorts sell for around the same price no matter what the UY is, so unless you pick up a fully loaded contract with 3 years of points on it, it's not worth it.

Also remember just because a contract is 40-50 years long, theres no guarantee that you will actually be managing that particular contract for 40-50 years (in fact, chances are very high you will NOT).

I have 2 UY but they are with different home resorts, and I plan to use the 2 separately. As long as they are all titled the same, they are all under the same signin, and when you go to book a stay, you choose which contract(s) to use. (Although since I'm always booking close to 11 months out, it's not really a problem.) As I understand your plan, if you get a new contract with a different UY, it will be for a resort you already own with an April UY? If so, I would hold off and wait for a better contract that matches the UY you already have. In short, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Last edited:
Thanks all, good feedback. Although we do spend lots of time researching our upcoming trips, I'm not sure I am up for all the tracking that would go into the different use years. May just be better to pay an additional $10 a point and get the same use year. Especially since we are looking for all our points to be in the same resort.

You guys are the best!

We have 2 UY's and the only contracts I dislike it with is the one resort that we have contracts in both of them. For the same resort I would keep it the same.

We have 2 UY's and the only contracts I dislike it with is the one resort that we have contracts in both of them. For the same resort I would keep it the same.
by the way, what if those UY's are only one (1) month apart (say a March and February contract at the same resort)? It doesn't seem to me like that is a tremendous 'hassle' - particularly if you get a great price on the added contract

It’s nice if you take vacations at different times if the year and the combining isn’t a thing if you have enough points and it sounds like you do. You also get the benefit of an extra transfer per year and I’m assuminh one time use points

It’s nice if you take vacations at different times if the year and the combining isn’t a thing if you have enough points and it sounds like you do. You also get the benefit of an extra transfer per year and I’m assuminh one time use points
Actually we are a summer family. So in the above example, lets say we go every July. The banking deadlines for Feb & March are the last days of Sep & Oct. YES there is a 1 month difference and YES it can be a bit of a hassle to combine ressies, but I had the option of either by direct at almost double the price with the same UY, or buying resale and sving thousands with the one month difference. For me, the decision was a no brainer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!