Different Use Years

DonaldDuck21

Mouseketeer
We have a Feb Use year at Bay Lake (direct purchase) and thinking about adding on a resale contract for a different resort and different use year. Are there a lot of negatives with having different use years?

We have a Feb Use year at Bay Lake (direct purchase) and thinking about adding on a resale contract for a different resort and different use year. Are there a lot of negatives with having different use years?
The problem with different use years is combing the two contracts for a single reservation. If they were the same use year and same resort, the points could be combined without any problems at 11 months out. If different resorts, but same UY, you could easily combine the points at seven months out. But if they were the same resort or different resort with a different UY, you would have to transfer from one to the other to combine the points. I have always been told I used my one transfer in or out each time I transferred from my Dec to my Sept or Sept to my Dec. Others have not been told that. You cannot borrow transferred points so you have to be careful which way to transfer to use the points for a single reservation. For example if I need to use my Dec points for a reservation in October, I would need to transfer my Sept points into my Dec UY so I am using current year Sept points and borrowed Dec points. But then if I need to cancel, I have to use those Dec points no later than Nov 30 because I borrowed them. If I transferred Dec into Sep for an October reservation, I would have to borrow the Dec points (unless they were from the previous year so they would be current UY points and not borrowed). You can make separate reservations with the two UYs and ask for them to be linked so you can stay in the same room. But sometimes they tell you they cannot link reservations made with two different contracts.

Now if the new contract you are looking at has enough points that you can use that one separately from your Feb BLT contract, you just keep them separate all the time.

You'll get two separate bills for your annual fees.

Lots of posts about people managing it just fine. Some like the ability to have more wait list available. Overall, it just means more planning. With the same Use Year, points are easy to combine on reservations, bank, and borrow. With separate UY you can only transfer in/out once per year and there are some additional restrictions.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/points/Transfering_rules_final.pdf

I think if you are planning on multiple vacations it can work, just makes for more planning and understanding the limitations.

Thanks for this thread. Once we close on our new resale, 200 points at WL-BR, we will have 200 August points, and 25 June points. We ended up with 25--2017 points, and I used those the the 25--2018 for a stay this July, so the 25 point situation is fine until 2019 points, lol.

How does this work, the transfer? I guess I would move the 25 June ones, to August. When could I do that, say for the 25 June 2019 points? After June 1, 2019? Old time member, new at this situation. (we sold our June 200 BCV direct contract, bought 25 at WL-BR, then took a loaded WL-BR resale, in closing process now).

I may try and use the 25 here and there, for split stays, arrival night before switching to another resort, etc.

Thanks for this thread. Once we close on our new resale, 200 points at WL-BR, we will have 200 August points, and 25 June points. We ended up with 25--2017 points, and I used those the the 25--2018 for a stay this July, so the 25 point situation is fine until 2019 points, lol.

How does this work, the transfer? I guess I would move the 25 June ones, to August. When could I do that, say for the 25 June 2019 points? After June 1, 2019? Old time member, new at this situation. (we sold our June 200 BCV direct contract, bought 25 at WL-BR, then took a loaded WL-BR resale, in closing process now).

I may try and use the 25 here and there, for split stays, arrival night before switching to another resort, etc.
That's probably the best way to do it. Just remember that the UY will stay with the 25 points. So they expire on May 31. You'd have to bank them after you transfer them into the Aug contract if you need to use them after May 31 of each year.

It’s best if your different use years are dedicated for different vacations. I own a 25 point BWV contract that we only ever use for a weekend at food and wine. I have a different use year for all other trips. When you start mixing points is when it gets complicated and confusing.

The problem with different use years is combing the two contracts for a single reservation. If they were the same use year and same resort, the points could be combined without any problems at 11 months out. If different resorts, but same UY, you could easily combine the points at seven months out. But if they were the same resort or different resort with a different UY, you would have to transfer from one to the other to combine the points. I have always been told I used my one transfer in or out each time I transferred from my Dec to my Sept or Sept to my Dec. Others have not been told that. You cannot borrow transferred points so you have to be careful which way to transfer to use the points for a single reservation. For example if I need to use my Dec points for a reservation in October, I would need to transfer my Sept points into my Dec UY so I am using current year Sept points and borrowed Dec points. But then if I need to cancel, I have to use those Dec points no later than Nov 30 because I borrowed them. If I transferred Dec into Sep for an October reservation, I would have to borrow the Dec points (unless they were from the previous year so they would be current UY points and not borrowed). You can make separate reservations with the two UYs and ask for them to be linked so you can stay in the same room. But sometimes they tell you they cannot link reservations made with two different contracts.

Now if the new contract you are looking at has enough points that you can use that one separately from your Feb BLT contract, you just keep them separate all the time.

You'll get two separate bills for your annual fees.
Couldn't you STILL use both different UY for the same trip 11 months out by planning ahead and banking, borrowing etc?

We have BLT 185 points (Feb) and VGF 200 points (Aug), and plan to use them separately (and at different times of year). So far it doesn't seem to be a problem. As others have said, it only becomes a problem if you're trying to use points from both contracts for the same reservation.

Couldn't you STILL use both different UY for the same trip 11 months out by planning ahead and banking, borrowing etc?

You could, but unless it's the same home resort, you'd be planning a split stay at different home resorts, which is still, essentially, using the points separately. For example, if I wanted to do a 2-week vacation in August but do half the vacation at BLT and half at VGF, I would be making 2 different reservations a week apart from each other. Others are talking about combining points via transfers, but the problem here is that then you'd have to make your reservation vie Member services at 9am or later (not a good thing if you're trying for a hard-to-get reservation). Also - I think the banking/borrowing has to be done before transferring (or vice versa), so if you have enough points, it just seems like too much of a hassle to try to combine points for 1 reservation.

Yes, you can. But you have to be careful how you do it. You can't borrow transferred points. You can bank them. Their UY stays with them if they are transferred. So BLT Feb UY points will remain BLT Feb UY points even if you transfer them to a BLT Jun UY contract.

Also you cannot transfer borrowed or banked points. They must be current year points.

The only way to combine them for the same trip is to transfer from one contract to another. Or make two separate reservations.

So it would be best to transfer them forward, for example me moving the June 25 up to the August 200 points, not the other way around. I will see about doing this in the future. This first time, I used 2 years worth, so 50 points, to get 2 nights at Poly in a studio, I paid cash for a few extra points, so that used first 2 years of 25, the 2017/18 points. I will figure it out, in my case, it is only 25, not 2 equally sized contracts to mess around with. I grew inpatient waiting for a June WL-BR contract, and when I saw a fully loaded one, with 200 2017 points, August use year, good price, we decided to jump. No regrets, but having the same use year would have been better, of course.

So it would be best to transfer them forward, for example me moving the June 25 up to the August 200 points, not the other way around.
Transferring them “up” is irrelevant. Transferring only moves them from one membership to another. It doesn’t change the use year or home resort.

Let’s say you have a February and a December use year and want to travel in June. You’d need to transfer December 2016 points and bank them, and transfer December 2017 points. Then you’d combine them with February 2017 banked points and February 2018 current points and borrow February 2019 points. With banking and the booking timeline, you’d need to start planning for that trip around December of 2015;for a June 2018 trip. That’s why it gets confusing.

Last edited:
Let’s say you have a February and a December use year and want to travel in June. You’d need to transfer December 2016 points and bank then, and transfer December 2017 points. Then you’d combine them with February 2017 banked points and February 2018 current points and borrow February 2019 points. With banking and the booking timeline, you’d need to start planning for that trip around December of 2015;for a June 2018 trip. That’s why it gets confusing.

That's why I plan on using my 2 separate contracts and UY separately! Or at most, for split stays.

So it would be best to transfer them forward, for example me moving the June 25 up to the August 200 points, not the other way around. I will see about doing this in the future. This first time, I used 2 years worth, so 50 points, to get 2 nights at Poly in a studio, I paid cash for a few extra points, so that used first 2 years of 25, the 2017/18 points. I will figure it out, in my case, it is only 25, not 2 equally sized contracts to mess around with. I grew inpatient waiting for a June WL-BR contract, and when I saw a fully loaded one, with 200 2017 points, August use year, good price, we decided to jump. No regrets, but having the same use year would have been better, of course.

I'd probably lean towards transferring the small June contract points into the larger August contract every year. It's not necessary but with make using the points together easier and you won't have to bother with linking reservations between the 2 contracts which still can have a few issues with MB's opening doors and charging. You'd have to call in to have MS use the June points along with the August but if booking at 11 months you could book the majority of the reservation and then call in to have MS book the remainder using the June points.

I'd only do a new UY if you have a specific reason to do so like targeting a specific trip and time of year or addition transfer or wait list spots. Even then only if it were a full sized contract. The other reason would be if the contract itself is too good to pass up like a subsidized VB or Aulani or something difficult to get like VGC or VGF.

By transferring June to Aug, you won't have to worry about accidently trying to borrow the transferred points which you cannot do. But you have to worry about them expiring before your Aug points do (and being late in banking them if you need to bank them).

With a use year of September, I will take another contract with a August, September or October use year.

I jumped on a WL-BR contract (august) 200 points that was loaded with all 200 points from 2017. Just too tempting to get those "free" points to use, and another 200 coming in a few months. I see many stripped BR contracts, and also very very few June ones (our 25 pointer is June). I am happy. Worth the inconvenience, for us.

I would suggest getting the same use year unless absolutely necessary. It’s just easier. That said, having another UY isn’t the end of the world either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter