Dining at Disney post bariatric surgery

Moira222

Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!
Hi Disers! I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread, so moderators feel free to move it. I am four days post bariatric surgery and have been looking for tips and advice for eating in the World now. Food is such a big part of Disney, and our family trips are no exception. When we go next i will a few months (2 or 3) post surgery. I am wondering how others on the boards have had surgery, whether its the band, gastric bypass or the sleeve/ how has this changed your experience at Disney? How has your family handled it? How have you ordered from menus? Kids portions? Half portions? Appetizers? Full order with lots of leftovers?

Hi Mary -
I'm 7years post op, but went down soon after my surgery. Being only a few months out from surgery, I would stick to sharing a plate with someone in your group (stay away from buffets, they are not worth the expense for us). Or you can order from the kid menu, just explain to the server if they question it that you are post op bariatric surgery. They are very understanding. Also, they all have sugar free syrup, you just have to ask for it. Good luck.

Krista

I too am about 7 years out. What I've done is reconciled myself to the fact that I will waste a lot of food in order to enjoy the little bit I can have. I have specific needs that must be fulfilled - it must taste good, and it must be moist enough to get down and stay down. I don't expect people in my group to choose things just so I can have them. I eat what I want, in portions I can handle, and throw the rest away. It works for me. I know it's wasteful, and I hate that part of it, but as selfish as it sounds, I have to look out for me and I'm worth it. Disney food is too good to have to settle for less than what I want. If I can accommodate my tastes with a kid's meal, I'll do that, so not as much goes to waste. I believe there are sites online where you can print out a card stating that you've had bariatric surgery and requesting that your needs be accommodated by allowing you to order a kid's meal. I personally have never had the need to use it. I say order what you want, eat what you can, and enjoy every bite! Have a great trip!

Kathy

Hi Mary -
I'm 7years post op, but went down soon after my surgery. Being only a few months out from surgery, I would stick to sharing a plate with someone in your group (stay away from buffets, they are not worth the expense for us). Or you can order from the kid menu, just explain to the server if they question it that you are post op bariatric surgery. They are very understanding. Also, they all have sugar free syrup, you just have to ask for it. Good luck.

Krista
Good to know about sugar free syrup....though that wont help with a grand marnier slushy Lol. I have been perusing the kids menus, and trying to talk hubby out of all buffets. Bad part about that is that ALL the character meals except CRT are buffets.

I too am about 7 years out. What I've done is reconciled myself to the fact that I will waste a lot of food in order to enjoy the little bit I can have. I have specific needs that must be fulfilled - it must taste good, and it must be moist enough to get down and stay down. I don't expect people in my group to choose things just so I can have them. I eat what I want, in portions I can handle, and throw the rest away. It works for me. I know it's wasteful, and I hate that part of it, but as selfish as it sounds, I have to look out for me and I'm worth it. Disney food is too good to have to settle for less than what I want. If I can accommodate my tastes with a kid's meal, I'll do that, so not as much goes to waste. I believe there are sites online where you can print out a card stating that you've had bariatric surgery and requesting that your needs be accommodated by allowing you to order a kid's meal. I personally have never had the need to use it. I say order what you want, eat what you can, and enjoy every bite! Have a great trip!

Kathy
Have you ever tried asking for a half portion from the adult menu? My doctor's office did give me a plastic wallet card asking the restaurant to consider letting me order half portion or from kids or seniors menu, just not sure how well it would bbe received.

Thanks for your feedback!

Have you ever tried asking for a half portion from the adult menu? My doctor's office did give me a plastic wallet card asking the restaurant to consider letting me order half portion or from kids or seniors menu, just not sure how well it would bbe received.

1) Disney does not honor "The Card".
2) Whatever is on the menu is what you buy and pay for.
3) WDW does not have half portions or partial portions.
4) And, at all buffets and all-you-can-eat, you pay full price.
. . . they can't monitor how much you eat or do not eat
. . . they can't be sure you really had the surgery
. . . they can't be sure if your are using fake cards or other people's cards
5) Your options
. . . share with another guest at TS ala-carte eatery
. . . throw away a lot from an adult menu item
. . . order from the kid's menu

Moira222 said:
Good to know about sugar free syrup....though that wont help with a grand marnier slushy Lol. I have been perusing the kids menus, and trying to talk hubby out of all buffets. Bad part about that is that ALL the character meals except CRT are buffets.

Garden Grill in the Land is family style at your table as far as I know. Akershus breakfast is served family style at the table.

TheRustyScupper said:
1) Disney does not honor "The Card".
2) Whatever is on the menu is what you buy and pay for.
3) WDW does not have half portions or partial portions.
4) And, at all buffets and all-you-can-eat, you pay full price.
. . . they can't monitor how much you eat or do not eat
. . . they can't be sure you really had the surgery
. . . they can't be sure if your are using fake cards or other people's cards
5) Your options
. . . share with another guest at TS ala-carte eatery
. . . throw away a lot from an adult menu item
. . . order from the kid's menu

Thanks! I had a feeling they wouldnt change it, but i do know they let adults order from kids menu at kids price.

:-)

Six years out. I know what I can eat and what I can't eat. I ordered what looked good (full portion) and I had a collapsible container for leftovers and had it later for supper. Most often, someone would "help" me with my leftovers. Food was never wasted.

We have e-mailed two different addresses at WDW and the Mom's panel and received very differing answers. Here's what we think--- no buffets will allow adult to eat for kid's price (except one Disney mom says The Biergarten did???)
no "take out" from any buffets for a person who eats only a few ounces for a later small meal. most kid's menus are not very friendly for gastric bypass patients-- lot's of fried food and high fat meats as well as sugary desserts. So buffets seem to be out unless you can live with paying full price and eating so very little. Table service seems better fit since one can order just an appetizer or share with another. WDW says no reduction in portion size nor cost. Of course, you can take out whatever you don't eat for later if it won't spoil and you want to carry left overs with you. Disney mom said character meet and greet buffets did allow her to pay only an entertainment fee and not eat nor pay for food. We received conflicting answers about one person ordering from the menu and the other eating something prepared and brought from outside the restaurant. No disney cast member can warm, microwave, or cook anything you might bring in. Also all agreed no adult can purchase and use child's DDP under any circumstances. Seems Disney is not as accommodating of the needs for gastric bypass patients as they are for other dietary needs, but it is doable with planning and forethought.:santa:

We have e-mailed two different addresses at WDW and the Mom's panel and received very differing answers.
. . . yep
. . . this happens all the time, regardless of topic

Here's what we think--- no buffets will allow adult to eat for kid's price (except one Disney mom says The Biergarten did???)
. . . yep

no "take out" from any buffets for a person who eats only a few ounces for a later small meal.
. . . yep

Table service seems better fit since one can order just an appetizer or share with another.
. . . always the best bet
. . . sharing is always a smart option
. . . especially for the 3-5 ounces the surgery patient can eat

WDW says no reduction in portion size nor cost.
. . . this would be too hard to do
. . . they also would have too many requests from others
. . . additionally, takes as much time/labor for a small portion as a large

Disney mom said character meet and greet buffets did allow her to pay only an entertainment fee and not eat nor pay for food.
. . . this is TOTALLY up to the individual restaurant manager
. . . within the same eatery, different managers will allow different things
. . . it never hurts to ask

No Disney cast member can warm, microwave, or cook anything you might bring in.
. . . against Health Codes
. . . plus, they do not know if the food is tainted
. . . they could be introducing ugly critters/stuff into their own food chain

Seems Disney is not as accommodating of the needs for gastric bypass patients as they are for other dietary needs
. . . it is tough to accommodate everyone or every malady
. . . after all, gastric bypass does not fall under ADA
. . . although medically important/advised, it is still elective surgery

One piece of advice from a family member of someone who had the surgery. Especially since you are so soon out from the surgery, be very careful not only of the amount you eat but of what you eat. I know others said, "I just order what I want and throw the rest away." This might work great for several years post-op, but if you are only 2-3 months post-op, be careful of the bites you take. My uncle ate the wrong things when he visited us (he was still eating small amounts then, but not closely watching what he ate), and he was in the bathroom what seemed like the whole visit. I would rather skip some of the eating at WDW then spend the whole trip in the bathroom (and WDW is FULL of food that would have sent him to the bathroom).

I would not use this as a time to try a bunch of new food. Stick to what you have been eating the past 2-3 months before your trip.

I am now almost 4 years post-op with the lap-band. I've been to Disney several times since the surgery and have tried a lot of different food options. The biggest thing is just know what works for you. I know that certain foods will cause problems or are likely to cause problems so I avoid them. Or in the case of pasta at Via Napoli, I eat very very slowly. If I'm staying on property, then I can take the leftovers with me. Otherwise, yes, I do waste a lot of food. That said, steak is usually a high caution food for me however, after running/walking the half marathon last January, the mushroom filet from Le Cellier melted in my mouth and I had no problems at all!

4 years out here....and photo journaled my first year at Disney starting at 3 months out!!

I ordered many meals off the kids menu (still do) or an appetizer. However, at the early stage of your surgery, I would strongly suggest speaking with the chef for things you are not certain of.......like SALAD DRESSINGS and SAUCES!!! Many of those items have hidden sugar, and I am thinking dumping at Disney is not fun.

The chefs were more than happy to discuss my options or even prepare something special for me that was in my program guidelines early out.

Buffets are so not worth it...and they do not offer a reduced price...as others have said.

I was also able to leave my protein shakes in the fridge at first aid...so they stayed cold. Not sure if they do that now.....as I know they will not do that at Land.

Have a great time!! And don't be afraid to advocate for you ....and your eating! :thumbsup2

Don't take this the wrong way, but shouldn't your doctor be the one to tell you what you can and can't eat, portion sizes, etc? Probably not too many medical degrees by those who are offering opinions on here..

Hi - Can't offer advice from a surgery standpoint, but I was once a vegan on my trip to WDW and can attest to the awesome dining folks who made sure that I was accommodated. I have no doubt in my mind that if you have any concerns about ingredients in the foods that they can let you know.

I love going to Disney because I know they are great with food allergies/diet plans/etc. Good luck!

Seems Disney is not as accommodating of the needs for gastric bypass patients as they are for other dietary needs
. . . it is tough to accommodate everyone or every malady
. . . after all, gastric bypass does not fall under ADA
. . . although medically important/advised, it is still elective surgery
[/QUOTE]
While Gastric surgery can be elective (mine was - although I did it to reverse my propensity for diabeties) to can be to correct life threatening situations. One of my employees had diabeties that was out of controll and her kidneys were shutting down. Her choices were essentially to die or have the surgery. She had the surgery. I wouldn't classified that as "elective"

Don't take this the wrong way, but shouldn't your doctor be the one to tell you what you can and can't eat, portion sizes, etc? Probably not too many medical degrees by those who are offering opinions on here..

Actually with Gastric Bypass it is kind of a trial and error thing. The dietion will give guidelines, but everyone's body is different. Some people can't tolorate sweets of any kinds, others, like me, can have a small portion. Some have trouble processing meat - I don't. Some can eat 2oz at a time, some 3 oz, and some 4 oz. It just depends on the person. You go through the classes to get the basic guidelines (no caffine because its a diarectic - although I can take 5-hour energy if I drink a lot of water, no carbinated drinks because they stretch out your stomach, etc), but each individual person is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!