Dining plan available yet to DVC members?

No, it's not. As of 6/2 MS indicates that "...due to existing system configuration, this plan is only able to be sold to Guests booking a package through the Disney Reservation Center at this time. Since we know this offering would be extremely popular among our DVC Members, we are currently working with our Information Technology partners to change the manner in which the plan is sold. Unfortunately, we do not have an estimate as to when this will be available. Please contact Member Services prior to your next visit for updated information..."

If any DVC members are interested in obtaining the MYW Dining Plan, I strongly urge you to email (not call) MS. Perhaps if they get enough of a "show of hands" they'll get on the ball and provide this wonderful option to DVC members. We used it in February and absolutely loved it.

It sounds like a great deal but we tend to eat off property or in our room only 1 meal per week for us and it is a dinner at Chef Mickeys so for us it really isn't a benefit.

I would love to have that. Although, AP discounts and DDE is great too.

Let us know when it's available. :teeth:

It really depends on if you are traveling with children as to whether the MYW-type plan would save you any money...also it depends if you eat a LOT of food.

For our recent 10 night trip of 2 adults we ate at 6 couter service and 18 table service venues, including California Grill, Brown Derby, Liberty Tree and Prime Time. We ate one meal in our room.

Total for MYW would have been $700 plus tax. Total using DDE, including tax, tip & 4 alcoholic beverages, $683.75. We had table service breakfasts and lunches, with a lighter counter service dinner (when we had dinner). Our lunches included appetizers and entrees for each of us, and the occasional dessert. I figured the 4 alcoholic drinks probably evened out the desserts price-wise. Calif Grill would have used 2 MYW meals per person, so we saved even more by not using it.

The $10 per night for the kids is a really good deal, considering even Chef Mickey's is $9.99.

lenshanem said:
The $10 per night for the kids is a really good deal, considering even Chef Mickey's is $9.99.

I totally agree! Plus, DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS...
What may work for some may not work for others, this can work for many who can't take advantage of the DDE.

I really hope they can offer it to us soon! :goodvibes

What may work for some may not work for others, this can work for many who can't take advantage of the DDE.
We're in that boat too and would love to have the dining plan for our Mar '06 trip!!

Chuck S said:
It really depends on if you are traveling with children as to whether the MYW-type plan would save you any money...also it depends if you eat a LOT of food.

For our recent 10 night trip of 2 adults we ate at 6 couter service and 18 table service venues, including California Grill, Brown Derby, Liberty Tree and Prime Time. We ate one meal in our room.

Total for MYW would have been $700 plus tax. Total using DDE, including tax, tip & 4 alcoholic beverages, $683.75. We had table service breakfasts and lunches, with a lighter counter service dinner (when we had dinner). Our lunches included appetizers and entrees for each of us, and the occasional dessert. I figured the 4 alcoholic drinks probably evened out the desserts price-wise. Calif Grill would have used 2 MYW meals per person, so we saved even more by not using it.

Chuck, My understanding of the MYW plan is that you only get one table service meal and one counter service meal per day per person. If so, under the MYW plan you would you have had to pay cash for the 8 extra table service meals, and would have had 4 counter service meals "left over" (i.e. paid for but not used). So the plan would have been a terrible deal for you, or forced you to change your eating habits, or both.

It seems the longer it takes for disney to offer it to DVC members(if at all), the fewer who would be interested. I was very interested at first. But now that I will be purchasing DDE for this trip(and the next), it is not important to me.

erikthewise said:
Chuck, My understanding of the MYW plan is that you only get one table service meal and one counter service meal per day per person. If so, under the MYW plan you would you have had to pay cash for the 8 extra table service meals, and would have had 4 counter service meals "left over" (i.e. paid for but not used). So the plan would have been a terrible deal for you, or forced you to change your eating habits, or both.

Agreed, but my point was if your party consists of mostly adults and/or children over 10 that will be charged as adults the MYW plan is probably no real "bargain" for you. The savings kicks in for the family of two adults with two or more young children.

lenshanem said:
Also, kids do not have to order from the Child's Menu for casual dining, all of the casual dining options are designated by total number in your group. You don't have to use them each day either, just before you depart. IMO, they're not a good deal @ breakfast (we don't usually eat that early), but certainly worked for us for an early lunch & late dinner. A final plus, the price includes all taxes & base tips - nice to have the majority of the meals paid for before we arrived.

For my DW and I, IMHO the DDE card is a better deal (with the AP discount) since we like to go to the Signature restaurants that count for two table service meals and the DDE covers alcoholic beverages. I do so enjoy a glass of wine at those Signature restaurants. :teeth:

Also, we don't always want an appetizer, entree and dessert at every table service restaurant meal even if it is a "deal". ;)

Paul in CT said:
For my DW and I, IMHO the DDE card is a better deal (with the AP discount) since we like to go to the Signature restaurants that count for two table service meals and the DDE covers alcoholic beverages. I do so enjoy a glass of wine at those Signature restaurants. :teeth:

Also, we don't always want an appetizer, entree and dessert at every table service restaurant meal even if it is a "deal". ;)

One of the biggest selling points our original guide kept stressing when trying to get us to sign on the Mickey's was: Flexibility Of DVC. It is set up to appeal to people who all love WDW, but have different ideas on what they want to experience and how they go about it.

I don't cook on vacation because it's not cost effective for us, nor do I want to spend my vacation time cooking. Our family loves to eat and the MYW worked out great for us. We used it for Hollywood & Vine (Fantasmic Pkg), Chef Mickey's @ Dinner, Sci-Fi, Yaughtsman Steakhouse- 2 options needed (bill close to $200 for 3 people w/o alcohol) & CRT (approx. $150). We also enjoy signature restaurants and consider them a good value for 2 dining options. Since we usually venture offsite at least a day, we eat where ever we are those days/grab a counter serve when we return @ night. As for counter serve, they also can get pricey: Columbia House @ MK for 3 was close to $50 & snacks (i.e. bottled water also add up).

I don't see us using the DDE or purchasing an AP for quite sometime, we've got lots of PH's & MYW tix stockpiled :) . But, I'm glad the option is there for those DVC'ers who want it. I just would like to have the MYW dining option available also for those of us who have used the plan or would like to try it.

I'm glad DVC is not "one size fits all".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter