Dinosaur and ITTBAB- kids

We just took my kids on Dinosaur a couple weeks ago, the youngest are almost 4 and almost 6. 6 year old was totally fine. I was really worried about my 4yo because he is typically pretty fearless but started refusing any rides at Magic Kingdom the day before that he deemed "too scary". I had to almost force him on It's a Small World because he thought it looked scary, even though I repeatedly assured him it wasn't (and he ended up loving it). But anyway, I had actually never been on Dinosaur so when he asked me if it was scary, I told him no.

Uh yeah. That turned out to be a bit of a lie. And of course he is sitting on the side of the car right where the big scary dino comes roaring out.

He's in the front row there and when I saw the dino my arm immediately went out to pull him close because I was so worried about him being scared. But afterwards, he seemed totally fine and actually when I've asked him what his favorite ride at Disney was, he's consistently said Dinosaur every time. So who knows!!!

My husband also took my 4yo on Tough to be a Bug, while the rest of us were on Expedition Everest, and said he was totally fine on it.

My 6 year old (who doesn't scare easily) loved it. It will obviously depend on the kid and their tolerance for jerky rides and the scare factor.

We went to Disney in October and my son had just turned 5. He loves amusement parks and before this trip we had never found a ride he did not like. While at Disney he loved rides such as FOP, Soarin, Haunted Mansion, all the roller coasters-he did not ride RNRC because he was too short but he road every other roller coaster. He did not like Dinosaur.....he did not get off crying or anything but when we talk about that ride he says he did not like it. We ate at T-Rex and it was his favorite place to eat. He also did Tough to be a Bug and he was fine with it.

My kids have ridden/done every attraction as soon as they were tall enough. Some they like, some they don't really care for and tolerate, and very few they don't like at all. I would put ITTBAB in the second category. They do it, but mainly I think for a break from the heat. Neither have ever found it particularly scary. I always laugh at Dinosaur. Both my kids like that one, but our pictures are always hilarious. We are either completely nonchalent, or we all make a pretend scared face. They usually get pretty good. IMO, neither are very scary.

It's hard to compare to other rides because, with the exception of Haunted Mansion, none of the rides you mentioned are ones I would consider scary at all for children! My kids both love roller coasters and have gone on them as soon as they were tall enough. So they were 5 and 6 when they were riding coasters like Space Mountain and Expedition Everest and loving them! My daughter is a bit more apprehensive of anything scary. We first took her to ITTBAB when she was almost 3 and we had to leave the theater because she was freaking out. We went back when she was 6 and she chickened out in line. We finally made it through the entire show when she was 7 and she was fine but it wasn't her favorite. We didn't do it at all last year with 2 days at AK. It's a 3D show so it looks like there are giant bugs coming at you and there is a small buzz in your seat "stinging" you (this is what my daughter hated), as well as a stink-bug scent. Is that something you think would bother your children? As for Dinosaur, we took my kids on it as soon as they were tall enough (40 inches) so they were probably around 3-4 their first time going on it. I honestly regretted it because it was way scarier for children than I thought. It's extremely loud with flashing lights, very bumpy and jerky and a giant dinosaur head comes down at you at the end. My kids were freaked out although I wouldn't say they were upset for the rest of the day at all. My son kept calling it the scary dinosaur ride! I personally don't feel the need to go on it ever again myself because I just didn't enjoy it and I ride every coaster multiple times at Disney. Did your kids do any coasters last trip? How do they like them?
Thanks for the great insight! My youngest likes coasters, my 5 year old doesn't like them but he isn't really scared. He sometimes decides to go on them and sometimes doesn't but usually says it was too fast. I always pictured dinosaur to be a slower, bumpy ride? I have no idea what it is like other than I've heard it scares children, lol.

The almost 5 year old on the last big family trip I went on could have taken or left ITTBAB. He wasn't scared, but he didn't love it, so just kind of meh response. On the other hand, he did not like Dinosaur. He didn't come out screaming or crying, but he did come off and said, "I did not like that ride. Those were scary dinosaurs."
This sounds exactly like how my son would react if he didn't like something. Lol. Just states it as a fact, he never cries.

I have to admit I couldn't figure out what ITTBAB was for the longest time! OK, now that I figured that out ...

We have done It's Tough to Be a Bug with our older 2 starting when they were around the age of your kids. They've never really liked it. We haven't brought our 3 year old on it yet but we did Muppets in 3D and she liked that but wouldn't keep the glasses on. If you are in It's Tough to Be a Bug and they get scared, take the glasses off. It's not as intense.

We've always skipped Dinosaur until this past trip when my oldest went on it with my husband. He didn't really like it but wasn't freaking out or anything. I wouldn't bring my girls on it yet as I know they wouldn't like it. Maybe next trip.

My kids like yours love Haunted Mansion and love all the roller coasters. I think it just depends on the kid and their likes and dislikes, age etc. You really have to try things out and just see what happens.
Thanks! My kids love all the other 3D shows. I was thinking I could just start them without the glasses and see how that goes, but I doubt they would want to keep them off, at first at least. =)

Thanks! My kids love all the other 3D shows. I was thinking I could just start them without the glasses and see how that goes, but I doubt they would want to keep them off, at first at least. =)

The “scary” part is not in the 3D movie. Big spiders come down from the ceiling, the theatre goes dark and hornets come out.

My daughter is 17 yrs old and hates both of them. She rode them when she was about 4 yrs old and 11 yrs old. SHe hates the jerky motion of dinosaur and Bug's life- she hates bugs and does not like the stinging in the back during the show or other special effects. The last few trips we just did not go on them.

Dinosaur is legit scary. My older kids are pretty damned fearless, and even they come out of Dinosaur a bit shell-shocked. My 8 year old prefers Dinosaur but would rather skip ITTBAB. My six year old is the reverse--doesn't like Dinosaur but loves ITTBAB. He laughs when everyone else is screaming during the show. I think if you know what's coming, ITTBAB isn't scary. Dinosaur, OTOH, I find legitimately scary just because of the darkness and T Rex screaming.

Thanks all for the responses! I'll probably show them videos and think about it some more. They love scary stuff, dinosaurs, and aren't afraid of the dark (again loved haunted mansion) but I'd prefer not to traumatize them, lol. I might try to ride it myself first...but I'll let them know kids sometimes find it scary and let them decide =)

We went in February this year when my boys were just turning 5 and 8 years old. They did every single ride and loved them all (FOP, HM, EE, Space Mountain, Soarin) and they didn’t mind ITTBAB but my 5 year didn’t like Dinosaur at all. He didn’t cry but we had to pretty much bribe him to ride again when we got a 4th FP for it.

Depends on the child. My youngest niece road tower of terror at age 6 with no problem. Came off of Dinosaur white as a sheet.

Wow! Just watched ITTBAB video. Not gonna lie, I was not expecting that lol. Spider part was creepy. It’s on our to do list for upcoming trip. My kids are 9 and 6. I know they for sure want to do DINOSAUR. I’m thinking we will still do ITTBAB but if it’s too much for them we will leave like others have said. Glad this was brought up.

My problem is that i dislike drops. The scary part is okay. Is the drop more than the one at the Pirates of the Caribbean?
Yes Im old but a total wimp when it comes to drops or turns. :ssst:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!