Direct Sales Incentives - Fall 2020 (9/17 - 11/4)

I actually think @MJNH's original question is a fair one. Lots of companies are making projections based on how they think the election might go or adjust their behavior based on the uncertainty of how the election might go, why wouldn't Disney? It affects them just like it affects everything, and in this pandemic world in particular there are likely assumptions made / scenarios that Disney prepares for regarding possible new stimulus checks, restrictions on travel, health and safety mandates, public confidence on government decisions, vaccines, etc. This is just life, I think we don't need to get political or talk about candidates, etc to acknowledge that there is this one big event in two weeks that affects everyone, including Disney.

Having said that, I have add-ons waiting for ROFR so clearly I didn't wait 🙃

Let me ask differently what I am trying to understand. Is there a historical trend to the length of each deal is given by DVC for direct? For example when the current deals end in November, will there be an immediate change new offers? Will they last 5-6 weeks? Have they had holiday deals before?

Typically, they always follow up and the length is similar. Last year when I bought, they changed while I was buying in October, and I got a better deal. Those lasted until mid December, IIRC.

I actually think @MJNH's original question is a fair one. Lots of companies are making projections based on how they think the election might go or adjust their behavior based on the uncertainty of how the election might go, why wouldn't Disney? It affects them just like it affects everything, and in this pandemic world in particular there are likely assumptions made / scenarios that Disney prepares for regarding possible new stimulus checks, restrictions on travel, health and safety mandates, public confidence on government decisions, vaccines, etc. This is just life, I think we don't need to get political or talk about candidates, etc to acknowledge that there is this one big event in two weeks that affects everyone, including Disney.

Having said that, I have add-ons waiting for ROFR so clearly I didn't wait 🙃

Just making sure that the conversation doesn’t change from the intent of the original question to other topics as everyone views questions differently.

I agree if it stays related to business decisions, it’s fine!

Previous incentive threads
Summer 2020
Spring 2020
Winter 2019-20

Riviera Incentive trends
Fall 2019
Winter 19-20 ($188)
Early Spring 2020 ($195)
Late Spring 2020 ($195)
Summer 2020 ($195)
Fall 2020 ($195)
150 Point New Member
$5​
$8.33​
$3.33​
$15​
$8​
200 Point New Member
$10​
$20​
$13.75​
$25​
$18​
150 Point Existing Member
$11.67​
$5​
$10​
$5​
$25​
$18​
200 Point Existing Member
$12.5​
$21.25​
$15​
$35​
$23​
i was wondering if there was something like this that goes back farther that shows trends in offers. It seems like offers are by seasons but this latest seems the shortest offer period yet.

I'd expect better offers in 2021 not sure about 11/5 though.
You really think so? In my mind, travel will probably just exponentially increase, especially in 2021 as people are going stir crazy and many have extra money from vacations not taken this year. To me it seems like their onsite direct buyers will increase next year as will those who were hesitant about buying before (assuming a vaccine becomes available next year). I just can’t see how they would need really big incentives next year.

You really think so? In my mind, travel will probably just exponentially increase, especially in 2021 as people are going stir crazy and many have extra money from vacations not taken this year. To me it seems like their onsite direct buyers will increase next year as will those who were hesitant about buying before (assuming a vaccine becomes available next year). I just can’t see how they would need really big incentives next year.
I think if that were the case, you would be able to book every single resort at Disney right now for dates in early 2021. You also would not see offers of 35% off of the resorts that are still open. I don’t think there is going to be a quick recovery in the travel industry. Even if a vaccine is released in the Spring of 2021, it is not going to be widely available to all who want to take it for some time. I agree that incentives are likely to get better before this is all over, but I don’t have a crystal ball.

I will add too, that if Disney and the state of California continue to be in a pi$$ing match about opening Disneyland well into 2021, things could get even uglier for the WDWC.

I just have a hard time believing things will get worse for WDW/DVC given reports of how crowded the parks are getting.

I'd expect better offers in 2021 not sure about 11/5 though.

I don’t see it happening as I believe they are perfectly content in riding it out.

When I was at BCV this past few days, I stopped to view the room to get my lithograph. The two guides there didn’t even mention buying or adding on. Simple chit chat was all.

Never had that in the past without even being asked if I was thinking of adding on,

No one tried at the Epcot Lounge either...which is how last year we ended up doing the meeting with my DD about RIV and ended up buying,

Just like WDPR and other divisions realize things won’t be the same, so will DVD.

Airline travel was down every single day last week versus the previous week. Covid cases are spiking along with hospitalizations. Stock market down big today losing October gains. Partially due to Covid numbers but also due to the fact that a stimulus package is not coming before the election.
I'm not trying to be negative but simply looking at the realities of our current situation. Things will get worse this fall/winter and hopefully improve in the spring.

Airline travel was down every single day last week versus the previous week. Covid cases are spiking along with hospitalizations. Stock market down big today losing October gains. Partially due to Covid numbers but also due to the fact that a stimulus package is not coming before the election.
I'm not trying to be negative but simply looking at the realities of our current situation. Things will get worse this fall/winter and hopefully improve in the spring.

I agree. We are just starting to see a spike in my super rural area. We haven't yet been hit hard enough for the population at large to take it seriously. I think this winter will be really rough for us.

I think you're right. It will get better but we all need to accept that it's going to get worse before it gets better unfortunately.

Our county experienced around a 25% increase in the last 2 we e ks. Now, because our population is so small to start with and we have been quite insulated for so long that is only about 45 cases but that is still a big jump.

Just a reminder we can discuss Covid on the community board but we ask that these threads stay on topic.

Only a couple of days to hold off adding on. This time was easier than the summer one. Let’s see what the next one brings! Btw, I think Disboards is a better salesperson than Disney. I always want to add on after seeing people’s posts. The emails from Disney have no effect on me.

I would like to pick up an additional 50 points at CCV, but $220 a point has me holding off for now! Even if they dropped $10 a point which I am pretty certain they wont. It might make me pull the trigger. I would consider a resale if the use year, amount of points and cost was a match. Other than that I will just go direct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!