Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

So what are most folks doing for flights back to the US east coast returning from Venice? Many of the flight options after we depart the ship have some crazy layovers (18+ hours) in London or elsewhere unless you leave Venice like at 6 AM on departure day. Just curious?

So what are most folks doing for flights back to the US east coast returning from Venice? Many of the flight options after we depart the ship have some crazy layovers (18+ hours) in London or elsewhere unless you leave Venice like at 6 AM on departure day. Just curious?

we are on Air Lingus - leaves Venice at 11:55am -> lands in Dublin at 1:50pm ... leaves Dublin at 4:10pm (so 2:20 layover) -> arrives at JFK at 6:45pm (EST)

Thanks for the reply. I found one that connects in Paris through Delta about the same time.

Next question: what is the primary advantage of doing the Rome 2-night pre-trip through Viking as opposed to just booking a hotel myself? You got breakfast but no other meals. Plus doesn't look like you get any included tours except for a transfer to the ship? For 849 pp that is quite expensive

https://www.vikingcruises.com/ocean...an/italian-sojourn/index.html#modal/383731634

Well, I guess we missed the bus!! :rotfl2: If anyone else (who didn't make the bus) is interested in sharing a car to the port, let me know and I can try to set something up.

Sorry about that :D RomeinLimo literally didn't allow me to book online for more than 12. They confirmed us for 2 minivans so I think they cap out at 6ppl per minivan. Maybe Chandra @bamagoofy and Patty need a ride?

We will @kpiper. Just let me know. I am currently in Europe so I may not respond quickly.

Chandra
Sounds good Chandra! I'm going to wait another day before booking - maybe we can get another van of 6. I may set up to leave around the same time if they have it available. Otherwise we may need to adjust. I'll keep you in the loop! Have a great time on your current trip!!

Hey guys - I can't believe it is close to 3 months before we set sail and I have no flights or hotels booked. I'm sooo bad at planning for this trip. But I guess it's really time to hunker down and put some thought into this. I don't post much on the boards but I am looking forward to to meeting you all again/for the first time. I will be one of single traveler so I'm hoping to join in some of the fun you guys have planned. I have finally slogged my way through the 56 page of this thread and it has put some ideas in my head on what I want to see in at least Rome.

Well, I guess we missed the bus!! :rotfl2: If anyone else (who didn't make the bus) is interested in sharing a car to the port, let me know and I can try to set something up.
Can I hop on this bus?

@apurplebrat - If there is still room on the food tour could you put my name down for it (just 1) and send me all the pertinent information and payment information.

@met19 - What time was that dark Rome tour on Saturday morning? The only time I see for that day is 7:20am - is that what time you booked?

So much to do and not much more time to do it in :eek: :faint:.

See you all soon!!!

Karen Chiu

Hey guys - I can't believe it is close to 3 months before we set sail and I have no flights or hotels booked. I'm sooo bad at planning for this trip. But I guess it's really time to hunker down and put some thought into this. I don't post much on the boards but I am looking forward to to meeting you all again/for the first time. I will be one of single traveler so I'm hoping to join in some of the fun you guys have planned. I have finally slogged my way through the 56 page of this thread and it has put some ideas in my head on what I want to see in at least Rome.

Can I hop on this bus?

@apurplebrat - If there is still room on the food tour could you put my name down for it (just 1) and send me all the pertinent information and payment information.

@met19 - What time was that dark Rome tour on Saturday morning? The only time I see for that day is 7:20am - is that what time you booked?

See you all soon!!!

Karen Chiu

Just to answer your question about the Dark Rome Tour - the one several of us are signed up for is the 7:20am Vatican one:
Tour Name: Vatican Sistine Express and St. Peter's Basilica
Option Selected: Group - English - 07:20 AM
Tour Date: 24 March 2018

Well, it didn't take long to nearly fill another van! I will set it up today - we have one more seat available if anyone wants it! Otherwise it will be the Piper's, bamagoofy, and me_minnie_me.

Can I hop on this bus?

See you all soon!!!

Karen Chiu

No worries as we haven't really booked anything either. We did reserve the 2-night Rome Pre-stay, but I'm seriously thinking this may be a waste of money and we will likely just book and do tours on our own since it doesn't look like any tours are even included for $849 pp! My wife and I may be interested in the food tour if there is still room? Also definitely interested in options for a ride to the port on departure day. I'd like to get to the ship a bit early to enjoy the ship and relax a bit myself.

Btw for folks living in central FL take a look at flying from Miami. Airitalia has a non-stop on an A330 that leaves at 9:55 and arrives in Rome the next day around 12:40 pm. Prices look very reasonable and much cheaper than flying from Orlando (has connections).

Last edited:
Almost ready to book my flights! Anyone think leaving Venice for a return flight at 10AM on 3/31 may be pushing it to get to the airport in time?

Almost ready to book my flights! Anyone think leaving Venice for a return flight at 10AM on 3/31 may be pushing it to get to the airport in time?

I had called Viking awhile ago to check on when was ok to book flights and they said that since we get to Venice the day before and are just there already there really isn't a time that is too early to have your flight - just means you will have the leave the ship earlier than other people that have later flights. We have an 11:55am flight

Thanks - was curious about whether or not there might be set departure times etc ... Imagine we will need to leave the ship at least 3-4 hrs before our flight now ...

Finally booked flights! Only downside is that we fly out from Venice at 10AM on departure day and we have a 3 hr drive down to Miami for our flights. Time to get our hotel and tours all set in Rome now!

Last edited:
Just booked Airfare and Rome Hotel....

Wed, Mar 21, 2018 , 9:20pm Baltimore, MD (BWI) 8:20am London, (LHR), American Airlines6603Operated byBRITISH AIRWAYS
Thu, Mar 22, 2018, 9:25am London, (LHR) 1:05pm Rome, (FCO), American Airlines6318Operated byBRITISH AIRWAYS

Mon, Apr 2, 2018 , 1:10pm Venice, (VCE) 2:30pm London, (LHR), American Airlines6174Operated byBRITISH AIRWAYS
Mon, Apr 2, 2018, 3:40pm London, (LHR) 6:35pm Baltimore, MD (BWI)

Staying at Le Meridien Visconti Rome (Using Starwood Points) March 22-24.

I see you are booked at Le Meridien as well :) I was wondering if you have looked at transportion to port? The wife and I are still in the processes and were wondering if it be best to share transportation?

Are quite a few folks staying at the Le Meridien? Looks like walking to the Vatican, but not to some of the other city sights? We are also looking at the Hotel Artemide as the reviews look to hard to pass up ...

Last edited:
@kpiper.
I tried to message you but the board would not allow it. I need to pull myself and Patty off the van from Rome to the port.

Thanks,
Chandra

Are quite a few folks staying at the Le Meridien? Looks like walking to the Vatican, but not to some of the other city sights? We are also looking at the Hotel Artemide as the reviews look to hard to pass up ...

I think just two sets of us are staying there right now (that I know of.) Depends which sights you want to see - for us it seems we can walk to most, if not all, of the places we want to go, though a few are a bit of a walk (~38-40 minutes barring interruptions.) We’re mainly staying there because of SPG points and flights/grad school impacting our budget for staying somewhere central/walkable.

Last edited:
@kpiper.
I tried to message you but the board would not allow it. I need to pull myself and Patty off the van from Rome to the port.

Thanks,
Chandra
Hope everything is ok.

amazing job @Cousin Orville arranging this. I'm now back from Disneyland and viewing candlelight last weekend. Now ready to resume planning and looking at various tours. I am already on the Dark Rome early morning to the Vatican. Also on the food tour. Thinking of a plaza tour or maybe a forum/Coliseum tour. Also Ostia is a possibility (port ruins 30 min outside Rome). Last thought: I am totally up for a fine dining Michelin Roman restaurant (yes I am foodie, hence the 10 plus times at the Napa chef counter).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts