Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Packing is proving to be a bit of a challenge weather wise. Forecasts for Rome and other ports of call keep changing (surprise!). We've decided that the only alternative is to pack layers and hope for the best. Looks like its not really going to be shorts weather.
Gonna pack Monday, working today and tomorrow. Leave tuesday. Figuring I'm brining no shorts (shame), and multiple layers.

I started pulling clothes out yesterday afternoon and need to finish getting everything organized and packed today. We are going to a parade all day tomorrow, then I work Monday & Tuesday and we leave Wednesday. Not too much time left to pack!!

I also picked up a thermal headband to keep my ears warm with these cold temps coming through, especially at night in Rome & Venice!

I also picked up a thermal headband to keep my ears warm with these cold temps coming through, especially at night in Rome & Venice!

Great idea on the headband.
I think I have a crochet pattern for one that I can whip up quickly

Already have a pair of gloves packed.

My suitcase is almost finished... DH on the other hand is still in deciding mode. He may be taking unlaundered unironed clothes at the rate he’s going.

Laundry last call is this afternoon

we are off on a trip to IKEA to pick up some packing cubes - as we need to fit everything into on carry on item!

Hoping to get the bulk of the packing done today - tomorrow we are thinking of going to a local brewery that is doing "kegs and eggs" before the big St. Patrick's Day parade. Then I work Mon-Wed before we leave Thursday

Likely just going to pack lots of layers to adjust to the temperature and also to help enable dressing up/down as needed

As for the temperatures in Italy - they look a good 20 degrees or more warmer than we have here (it was 28 degrees this morning) - so bring it on!

Interesting - just read that most International airlines have a pretty strict weight limit on carry on baggage. Alitalia says nothing over 2kg (17 lbs)

So I just went thru tsa. I have tsa precheck but asked the agent about the door magnet because no one was behind me in line. After showing him the magnet he said to leave it out because it would block portions of the bag. Back to Kevin with the weather

When do you arrive in Rome?

Interesting - just read that most International airlines have a pretty strict weight limit on carry on baggage. Alitalia says nothing over 2kg (17 lbs)

2 kg would only be a little over 4 lbs! That can't be right, can it?!

Edited to add: Looks like its 5 kg/11 lb for carry on, and 20 kg/44 lb for checked bags on Alitalia. We experienced the same when we booked and Easy Jet flight last time from Venice to Paris, with the 20 kg for checked bags.

Edited to add: Looks like its 5 kg/11 lb for carry on, and 20 kg/44 lb for checked bags on Alitalia. We experienced the same when we booked and Easy Jet flight last time from Venice to Paris, with the 20 kg for checked bags.

We just check ours (AerLingus) and it is 10kg for carry on and 23kg for checked (and one good thing is we get one free checked for transatlantic trip and that is good for our entire journey even though we do have a stop in dublin)

You're right it was a typo, but yes we are flying Alitalia. On the flip side looks like we get 2 included bags coming from the USA?

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Alitalia_Airlines/baggage.php

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!