DIS Fit 2020: New Hopes and Goals

I feel like a milestone has been reached. This morning kiddo was being especially difficult getting up so I told him either get up and ready in two minutes or I'll leave without him and he can get himself to school. He chose to get himself to school! I was already running late so it didn't really help much (and it was snowing so ugh! the drive was so long). But now he wants to do it next week for the few days he has school, and if it goes well, I'll take him out of before school daycare! Then I can leave earlier, and cut so much time off my commute. I'll still have to get him up, and ensure his lunch is packed, but I can then just leave for work and not fight about how it's time to go. He was actually early this morning, got there before daycare even went outside, but he enjoyed having extra play time. He'll still be going to camps this summer though, I'm not ready for him to be home alone for 8 weeks!! Just waiting for the school board to confirm the back to school date before I book any camps or my own vacation days. Since the other board is going back a week early I have some doubt about the date.

And now I have a 4 day weekend, which I will enjoy! And hopefully catch up on some sleep. Plans include groceries, laundry, house cleaning, dying my hair a fun colour, and probably going to a family day event at the high school (they set up bouncy castles, laser tag, and those big hamster balls among other things, parents are free, kid is only $15), if I can find a friend to go with him. And he has a friend coming over Saturday to play on the snow hill from shoveling, which I will have to do tomorrow I think.
What a relief that will be if he can do this! My kids always made the lunches the night before when they were little. It made for a crowded fridge overnight with 6 lunchbags (including mine) but sure eased the kitchen chaos in the mornings. That might give you even more breathing room before work.

What a relief that will be if he can do this! My kids always made the lunches the night before when they were little. It made for a crowded fridge overnight with 6 lunchbags (including mine) but sure eased the kitchen chaos in the mornings. That might give you even more breathing room before work.

We do put his snacks in his lunch bag the night before but he usually takes a thermos with something for lunch so I tend to heat it up in the morning. Everything else is ready to go though! Including my lunch. I wish he'd take a sandwich or something... I am looking forward to pizza days starting in March, my parents paid for him to get it. He didn't want it in September but does now. So between that and subway twice a month, I'll have fewer lunches to deal with! I am just really looking forward to heading straight to work and getting there at a decent time, and having a faster time getting home. Now get him to a point he can stay home for a day on his own (like today's PD day) so I don't have to use all my vacation days for that. I think we're close, and will try the one in May, if I work 7 to 3, I'll be home by 3:30, he'll probably sleep until 8 or 9, so not a huge amount of time. I hope! It's weird though, seems like just yesterday he was a baby.

@hdrolfe, I am trying to figure out summer camps for DD11 (almost 12) as well. The one she regularly attends only goes to grade 6 and she's starting grade 7 in September.

The Nova Scotia College of Art and Design has really amazing camps from pottery, sewing, fashion, sculpting, etc. They are not cheap ($200-$300), but what can you at that age to keep them busy! Maybe a basketball camp too. Between DH and I, we will be on vacation for 3-4 of the weeks, including camping for one week and then off to Atlantis in Bahamas the next week.

This time of year gets expensive as you have to pay upfront for them all too, reminds me of September when school and sports start up!

Best of luck to you with getting DS up and out the door. Don't give up.

This house is an epic fail where that is concerned. DS is almost 23 and it's still a battle everyday getting him up and out the door. In the summer he's out the door at 6:30am (all on his own) in the winter I'm calling him every 10 minutes from 7:45 to 8:15. He takes the bus to work so he needs to co-ordinate his time to catch that. Thank god his work schedule is flexible. He just has to put in his 7.5 hours (between 7am and 6pm).

Boys, they do grow up eventually. It can be brutal along the way.
Oh this sounds so familiar! :rolleyes1
I am waiting anxiously for DD22 to grow out of this stage.

That looks interesting, and expensive. I may stick with my Caribbean cruises for awhile though, I just like getting away to the hot weather :)

My new job is getting better, only taken about 4 weeks to feel like I have an idea of what I'm doing :) Commute still terrible, but getting better now that kiddo is walking himself to school in the mornings, so I can leave at 7 (or earlier I guess, but for now that'll do). I just have to sign one more form at daycare and that'll be it! I will put him in something for the majority of summer to prevent his being bored, and keep him active.

And I'm really debating doing a cruise in May or August, May if I can sort out the money for it, August if it will take longer. Not quite as nice as getting away now (mid-winter) but still, a cruise is a cruise! We have gone in May before and it was still nice. If we do May, I need to get back to walking/exercise, which actually will be easier soon as well since I will be able to get to home early enough to do that before dinner. Getting home when it's time to eat leaves little time for much other than cooking something quick.

Work from home tomorrow, and one day next week due to the ongoing strikes at the school, which I am totally ok with. Glad I'm able to do it and I feel very bad for the parents who can't.

I hope everyone is doing well with whatever they are trying to do.

I'm so happy to hear that Kiddo is able to get himself to school etc. You've done a great job with that one.

I can't keep all the strike dates straight. It must be a nightmare for parents to figure out which day, which board. I'm so glad my kids are finished with their schooling. DS3 was in year 3 of college when they almost lost a term. I still feel he should have dropped the term and got a refund when he had the option. Didn't really learn anything that term, it was just too rushed.

I'm enjoying that it is staying lighter later in the day. I look up at the clock and realize I'm way behind on preparing dinner because I think it should be darker when I start.

I've spent the week sorting through my dad's books. My stepmom wanted to clear some things out so I brought them all to my house for sorting and for my siblings to choose what they want. I'll have to figure out what to do with what's left over. Probably will take them to his former church for their book sale. Because of all that I haven't been on the treadmill this week at all. I'll start up again on Sunday (two steps forward one step back).

I went to the vet yesterday to pick up some sedatives that I am to give to the dog before I bring her to the vet. They suggested this would make the trip easier on all involved after her last visit. If these things don't calm her down I'll have to look at having a vet come to the house as an option for her final months. I wish they had some valium for me. Oh well. I'm taking her to see the vet on Monday to make sure she isn't in too much pain etc. I want to have that "discussion" about how much time she realistically has left.

It's so hard when our fur babies get old and slow down. I just try to treasure every moment I have left with her because I know they are numbered.

@ottawamom how was the vet visit? I hope the sedative was helpful. I believe there is at least one vet in Ottawa that does house visits, but I'm not sure how much that would cost.

I joined WW last night... on a whim. I'm not sure about this lol. They have 3 versions of their plan now, you do a quiz and it tells you which one to try, you can switch between them but they say you should try it for two weeks before switching. I got Green, which is limited free foods and more points for everything else. I have to say, the points do not go that far. I'm currently torn whether to spend extra points on a medium coffee over a small. Since kiddo has been having a hard time at bedtime lately (he was up until 11:30 Sunday night) I am super tired. I could use the extra caffeine but I can't drink coffee without cream in it. I guess I need to work on that, I did it with tea years ago, just take it "black" now. Is tea really black? I mean it's plain with nothing in it. Coffee is harder though. I am getting more steps with the new job, since it's so far from where I get to park, and once the ice is gone I will add more steps, but for now I'm not going to stress over that. Any way! It will take some getting used to, I am familiar with tracking my food any way so that parts fairly easy, it's fitting it into points that will be harder.

@bababear_50 I hope you are doing well :)

@ilovetotravel1977 did you sort out summer camps? My parents are sending me some money to sign him up for two (the hard to get into ones) and then I have a bit of time before the rest will be signed up for. I am putting him into two football camps, one ball hockey, one multi sport and two weeks of "regular" camp with swimming. He'll spend a few days at my parents, a few days on his own! and I will take a week or two off, still debating if we will go on a trip/cruise or not. It is annoying to have to pay for it all up front, but I am so glad we are done with the school daycare, he was so bored there.

@Debbie I don't think my kiddo will be making his own lunches any time soon, but he's been getting up and out the door on his own pretty well so far! He's actually been too early most days, getting there before the crossing guard is even there. He'll figure it out soon I'm sure. I think if he liked sandwiches or something easy he'd do his own lunches, but he tends to want leftovers and things in his thermos. Hopefully he'll get more comfortable cooking (or at least reheating) things by summer.

Hey all! I'm going to hop on this thread, I am hoping to shed some pounds for our next trip but overall I need to be healthier. I have gained about 80 pounds in the last 1.5-2 years and it's really starting to affect my health. Right now we are booked for 2 weeks at Pop this coming August but I'm pretty sure we will be putting it off until August 2021. We last stayed at Pop in August 2018 and had an amazing trip. I'm looking forward to chatting with you all :wave:

The vet visit went well. I gave her the sedatives and they kept her from getting too wound up. We managed the drive without any barking but then again I was sitting in the back seat with her and DH was driving. The vet was able to do a good check of her. She has arthritis in her hips (not unexpected) but other than that she is healthy. It will be her hips that do her in eventually.

She's on some meds to see if they help with the arthritis. There are others she can try if these don't work. It's going to be a bit of trial and error. The vet knows I'm not going to the end of the earth in terms of treatments. I just want her comfortable but not dopey for her remaining days (which according to the vet could be another year or so).ki

DS got up late and he had a meeting at 9:00am, he didn't want to trust the bus to get him there on time (gotta love our bus system) so I drove him. I applaud your getting your kiddo out the door and on his way @hdrolfe . I think about it every time I have to get him up and out the door. There may still be hope for DS, I just hope its sooner than later. (I know I'm an enabler)

Green lipped mussel is supposed to be good for arthritis in animals, I give a bit to my old (and fat) cat mixed in with his wet food, I also add a little the dogs food (though he's only 3). It is high in Omega 3's as well so generally good. I buy it Ren's and it's just a bit by weight. Not super expensive and all natural. I had read a lot of good things about it and when Snickers had some trouble jumping on things and limping a bit I started him on it, it seemed to help so he gets it daily now. No more limping, still has trouble jumping but that's probably more related to his weight :)

Never underestimate the power of a *Magic Bag*.
I am in day 5 after surgery and moving along at a snail's pace. I must admit I bounced back from my 3 c sections better than this. I was about 30 years younger though.
I listened to some unwise advise and tried not taking any pain meds which in hindsight was very stupid.
4 nights of no sleep makes Mel just miserable. I have shoulder tip pain from the carbon dioxide they used to inflate the abdomen,,,just miserable crap.
I am a side sleeper so laying flat on my back is just unnatural,,, but when I roll over to side in sleep I wake up,,ouch!
So as of yesterday I am being super kind to my body and taking the pills and just chillin.
I also am walking a few blocks every 4 hours.

Welcome
KrazyKoala

Hugs
Mel

Glad to hear you are listening to your body in recovery. I bounced back from the surgery when I had it, but did too much and now have a hernia at the belly button incision to show for it. :( Make sure you don't lift too much! And take the pain meds when you need them :)

brief check in, in feel slightly better but that really doesn't say much. In fact if I was just starting to feel like this I'd be wanting to scream uncle, I'm exhausted, still struggling to choke down most of my food (especially either cold fish or canned tuna first thing) and have zero energy for anything beyond the basic self care. Still needing to cook for hubby and bake his bread and I'm quickly moving to extreme resentment over that! I cooked double and triple batches of everything and froze it in individual servings but he's been sooo busy playing catch up that I often needing to heat it up and take it up to his office. Saw the allergist last week and he added taters and canola oil in as swaps for 2 items I was reacting severely to so that's nice.

good grief even my promised quick posts are monsters! Welcome to our newbies and hi to everyone!

Green lipped mussel is supposed to be good for arthritis in animals, I give a bit to my old (and fat) cat mixed in with his wet food, I also add a little the dogs food (though he's only 3). It is high in Omega 3's as well so generally good. I buy it Ren's and it's just a bit by weight. Not super expensive and all natural. I had read a lot of good things about it and when Snickers had some trouble jumping on things and limping a bit I started him on it, it seemed to help so he gets it daily now. No more limping, still has trouble jumping but that's probably more related to his weight :)
Thanks I'll give that a try. After the storm!

Vet called this evening. He got Kita's blood work back. She has elevated levels in her Kidneys. The meds she's just been prescribed can cause Kidney issues. He asked how she's doing today, not good as she's still recovering from the trauma of yesterday.

He wanted a urine sample. Ya like that's an easy thing to do with a dog who won't let anyone near her back end. As it turns out it wasn't bad. She ate dinner and then went out back. She immediately squats as soon as she's off the patio so I was ready and got a sample.

DH is off to the vet to drop it off. (he's desperately trying to show his support for our failing dog) Actually he just doesn't want anything to happen to her because I told him it would take a trip to Disneyland to get over the funk I will be in when she goes (and he's such a Disney fan, not)

As if I'm not stressed enough with having to do Fastpass reservations tomorrow now I've got the dog to worry about too. It will all work out the way is supposed to I just need to get through the next 24 hours. There will be no sleeping tonight for fear I'm not up in time in the morning.

Not really huge problems compared to what most people go through but it's affecting my life today.

I am glad you were able to get the urine sample! I remember trying to do that for one of our old dogs, following her around with a little pie plate for when she'd squat... fun times lol. Good luck with the fastpasses! I am sure you'll be able to get most of what you want :) though I guess that depends on how many hard to get things you are aiming for. At least the snow is not supposed to start getting bad until the afternoon tomorrow, so I am hoping the commutes will be ok. I expect I'll be working from home on Thursday. And I may try and do a Blue Friday... we'll see what they have that will fit with this weight watchers plan I'm trying to stick to. Knowing I've eaten all my points already makes me hungry :)

@Donald - my hero can you do anything you want to the potatoes? Because they are so versatile! I love them :) I hope you are able to add some more items back in soon, I don't know how you manage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter